Clear, not-too-bulky case

AndroiduserT

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the 2 XL and was looking for a clear case without too much bulk and a lip to protect my screen a bit. I ended up ordering these 3 cases:
Power support air jacket
Spigen liquid crystal
Ringke fusion

I'll start with the easiest to share. The power support air jacket is a good case but it was not what I hoped it would be. It's firm and not very flexible (for better or for worse) and is a fingerprint magnet. Two biggest deal breakers - there is NO lip to help protect the screen and it is very slippery. If you are looking for a case that covers only the back and sides of your phone, is very sleek, and is clear, this is a good choice. However, it's also crazy expensive so you can likely find cheaper alternatives. Also, this case has button cutouts instead if a covering over the buttons. I thought I would like this but ultimately, I did not - it made it difficult to hit the buttons.

Spigen and Ringke - these two cases have more alike than they do in contrast. They are both TPU cases, are very flexible, and love fingerprints. They both fit very well around the phone and have a decent lip around the front to protect the screen. Now, the differences.
While I cannot say for sure (cuz I didn't measure it or anything, the Spigen seems negligibly thicker, and the cutout for the fingerprint scanner on the Spigen is a little exaggerated, in that it starts to curve very far outward and slopes gently toward the scanner. I, again, thought this would be great but I ended up not liking it's feel too much. The Ringke has a hard back and soft, flexible sides, which feels a little better in the hand. The Spigen has that "rubbery" feel all around, whereas the Ringke has the rubbery feel on the sides with a little more of a glossy feel on the back. I prefer this and do not think it compromises grip. Another difference is in the lip around the front screen. The Spigen lip remains the same size around all sides of the phone. The Ringke lip is largest at the corners, bottom, and top of the phone, and gets smaller around the sides. While it may be less protective, I found this to be a huge improvement over the Spigen because it made bringing the slider down from the top of the screen in landscape use much easier.

A final note, I have a Black 2 XL and got the Black Ringke (comes in 3 colors), whereas the Spigen only comes in one color (clear, glossy). If you have a Black Pixel, I think the black bezel really flows well with Black Pixel.

In conclusion, I really prefer the Ringke fusion over the other cases I bought (regardless of color). While there may be others out there, the Ringke is a great option for a clear case (with some color if you'd like) with limited bulk and a lip to protect your phone.

Hope this helps anyone that's looking!

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the 2 XL and was looking for a clear case without too much bulk and a lip to protect my screen a bit. I ended up ordering these 3 cases:
Power support air jacket
Spigen liquid crystal
Ringke fusion

I'll start with the easiest to share. The power support air jacket is a good case but it was not what I hoped it would be. It's firm and not very flexible (for better or for worse) and is a fingerprint magnet. Two biggest deal breakers - there is NO lip to help protect the screen and it is very slippery. If you are looking for a case that covers only the back and sides of your phone, is very sleek, and is clear, this is a good choice. However, it's also crazy expensive so you can likely find cheaper alternatives. Also, this case has button cutouts instead if a covering over the buttons. I thought I would like this but ultimately, I did not - it made it difficult to hit the buttons.

Spigen and Ringke - these two cases have more alike than they do in contrast. They are both TPU cases, are very flexible, and love fingerprints. They both fit very well around the phone and have a decent lip around the front to protect the screen. Now, the differences.
While I cannot say for sure (cuz I didn't measure it or anything, the Spigen seems negligibly thicker, and the cutout for the fingerprint scanner on the Spigen is a little exaggerated, in that it starts to curve very far outward and slopes gently toward the scanner. I, again, thought this would be great but I ended up not liking it's feel too much. The Ringke has a hard back and soft, flexible sides, which feels a little better in the hand. The Spigen has that "rubbery" feel all around, whereas the Ringke has the rubbery feel on the sides with a little more of a glossy feel on the back. I prefer this and do not think it compromises grip. Another difference is in the lip around the front screen. The Spigen lip remains the same size around all sides of the phone. The Ringke lip is largest at the corners, bottom, and top of the phone, and gets smaller around the sides. While it may be less protective, I found this to be a huge improvement over the Spigen because it made bringing the slider down from the top of the screen in landscape use much easier.

A final note, I have a Black 2 XL and got the Black Ringke (comes in 3 colors), whereas the Spigen only comes in one color (clear, glossy). If you have a Black Pixel, I think the black bezel really flows well with Black Pixel.

In conclusion, I really prefer the Ringke fusion over the other cases I bought (regardless of color). While there may be others out there, the Ringke is a great option for a clear case (with some color if you'd like) with limited bulk and a lip to protect your phone.

I agree with what you said. I ended up with the clear Ringke Fusion case since I have a Penguin. I never noticed the lip at the corners being a little larger than on the side. I just hope it takes a while for the case to yellow.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
if you have the $ to spend and are willing to spend the Incipio Reprieve is probably the nicest "Clear" case for the 2XL. It has a clear back with the option of a colored bumber. I got the "Volt" i think it was called? absolutely love it.

View attachment 274805

Dismaster

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the Spigen Liquid Crystal and I really like it. It's nice, not too thin or thick and has great corner protection.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
My ideal clear case would be minimal thickness all around with a little extra protection at the corners.

Going to ask my wife to get me the Ringke for Christmas and I ordered a similar case from Amazon to try the Pleson Crystal Clear.

Last edited:

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I jumped on the Verizon deal this weekend on the 2 XL. I needed a case right away, so I grabbed an Otterbox Symmetry Clear case.

Typical Otterbox in that it is well-made and rugged. Man those sides are thick though, making the grip too wide for my taste.

I know some people do like having a very protective case for their device. I will have to say the one thing that could disappoint rugged case fans is that the buttons are hard to press. Once or twice I ended up squeezing the assistant active trying to use the power or volume.

I will be returning it because of bulkiness, price and the stiff buttons.

Those sides in pic are pretty much all case. Not much overlap from edge of device.
794f6a3899a9b9fc1d3af9ea8d5cbfac.jpg

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
if you have the $ to spend and are willing to spend the Incipio Reprieve is probably the nicest "Clear" case for the 2XL. It has a clear back with the option of a colored bumber. I got the "Volt" i think it was called? absolutely love it.

View attachment 274805

Just ordered that case, but in blue. It looks superb from the pics. I also have the Speck Presidio Show which is quite similar and really like it. The Spigen Liquid Crystal is a nice clear case, have that one too. I like that it' not too thick but thick enough to provide actual protection.

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I just received the Power Support air jacket case. This thing would have been perfect for me if it wasn't so hard to press the side buttons with the case on. Disappointing for a case that costs $35 AND has the made for Google branding.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I went with the Ringke and am very happy with it. I don't really need a lot of drop protection, it's more of mental thing for me to just be more comfortable holding it and also to help prevent scratching. I bought a Tech21 case from the Verizon store while I waited for the Ringke to arrive but took it back. Definitely not worth 45 bucks for me when the Ringke was 10... When I told them the Tech 21 was just too bulky for me they looked at me like I was taking crazy pills or something.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for these links - I want a clear case for my Pixel 2 to help protect it (along with the dbrand skin, which will go under the case); so these options are great to know about!

JRL77

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I've been switching back and forth between the Spigen Rugged Armor and Spigen Clear Liquid Crystal. Both are great. Waiting on the dbrand Grip to ship, so picked up the Rhino Shield bumper, which I am loving so far. Nice to "feel" the phone but still have a ton of drop protection.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
For those that have the Ringke Fusion, how is it holding up? Any signs of the back turning yellow or brown?
The back of my Spiegen Liquid Crystal is starting to turn after only 2 months use.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Power support air jacket
Spigen liquid crystal
Ringke fusion

Nice cases! Thanks for sharing!

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
For those that have the Ringke Fusion, how is it holding up? Any signs of the back turning yellow or brown?
The back of my Spiegen Liquid Crystal is starting to turn after only 2 months use.
Sooo, I've had a Ringke Fusion case since the beginning of January (so about 3 months now) and I just happened to notice some yellowing today. The back is still crystal clear but the rubber sides are definitely starting to yellow. Also, probably my biggest gripe about the case is it gets so dang slippery from the oil on my hands. I use glass cleaner on it every couple days just so I can grip it. I'll probably be looking to get a new case soon.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a Spigen liquid crystal case off Amazon Warehouse, the sent me a Caseology Parallax case in the Spigen box with the nice inspected by Amazon sticker on it lol. Like how does that even happen?

rickkel

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It happens because Amazon Warehouse sells the returned items from customers and someone "scammed" Amazon by buying a Spigen case and returning the Caseology case you got because they didn't like it? They probably got the Caseology case elsewhere for less.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech