Problems Rooting Pixel 2 XL – Rooting Newbie

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I wanted to root my Pixel 2 XL and of course I messed it up. Stuck in a booting loop at the Google logo (with the gray loading bar beneath). Can't shut down, it will just power right back up, into the "WARNING BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED" screen. I can then pause (power button) or go back to the Google logo. Neither adb nor fastboot can find the device. I can't access fastboot mode on the device either.
What I did:
1.) unlocked bootloader, installed TWRP, no errors
2.) used MagiskManager app to patch taimen-opd1.170816.025-factory-907c4030.zip downloaded from Google (did not patch the .img therein, but got no errors)
3.) pulled that back onto my computer
4.) adb reboot bootloader
5.) fastboot boot twrp....img (from computer that is)
6.) fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
7.) fastboot reboot

Now I was stuck in a loop between the phone in "WARNING BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED" mode and the Google logo which would eventually give me TWRP, from where I could start the whole process again (no matter which option I chose in the reboot menu). I could also still shut it off.

8.) shut the phone down and unplugged it from my computer
9.) and Voilá

I'm using macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 and Android 8.0.0
Any help is appreciated.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Anyone successfully root your Pixel 2? The main reason for me to root would be to get ad blocking. However, I can't seem to find the ad blocking app I used to have with my EVO 4 or 5 years ago. Not sure if it still exists.

haroldz123

Nov 25, 2013
plus.google.com
Anyone successfully root your Pixel 2? The main reason for me to root would be to get ad blocking. However, I can't seem to find the ad blocking app I used to have with my EVO 4 or 5 years ago. Not sure if it still exists.
I did using unofficial magisk. U will not get that "internal error" message when following the instructions.
Look for unofficial magisk thread.
Before that i watch miawdroid (YouTube) guide on how to root pixel 2.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A little late (and boy, it this different than a Samsung), but TWRP through adb, then Magisk, Magisk Manager and aside from a few quirks*, it went smoothly.

*Quirks:
Set USB for MTP, unplug the cable for any reason or reboot, and you're in Charge Only. Good decision, Google. </sarcasm>

Helium keeps asking for root, even with Magisk (which I'll probably get around by using TB).

And just getting used to this thing. Coming from 4.4.2, it's like a new life.

But rooting and TWRP were the least of my worries. (And now my data is gone on my old account, and I need it until about the 20th, when I'll be porting to Fi.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded Android P and now I cannot unlock the bootloader on my PIxel 2 XL to downgrade back to Oreo. I have done two factory resets and tried fastboot. At first after activting "developer options" the unlock bootloader option was greyed out, after the factory reset it allows me to select the unlock bootloader option and asks me for my pin. I enter my pin and nothing happens, the bootloader remaines locked. I have opened a ticket with Google and sent them a bug report. My Pixel 2 XL was purchased from Google so its not the VZW issue of locked bootloader.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.