I know this is a long shot but has anyone seen any mention of a crack for the locked Bootloader on Verizon devices?
    I wasn't concerned about the locked Bootloader when I purchased mine and since Verizon and Target had a great deal at the time I purchased one of those rather than an unlocked one from Google. I've come across an application that requires root which would be quite useful but no unlocked Bootloader = no root.
    04-12-2018 10:46 PM
    Have you tried Magisk? The app (the Magisk Manager) downloads the zip file and installs it. I don't know if it will work with the Verizon variant, but it can't hurt to try.
    04-15-2018 06:33 PM
    I know this is a long shot but has anyone seen any mention of a crack for the locked Bootloader on Verizon devices?
    I wasn't concerned about the locked Bootloader when I purchased mine and since Verizon and Target had a great deal at the time I purchased one of those rather than an unlocked one from Google. I've come across an application that requires root which would be quite useful but no unlocked Bootloader = no root.
    No such luck. Locked Down tight. No bootloader unlock yet
    04-15-2018 10:00 PM
    Have you tried Magisk? The app (the Magisk Manager) downloads the zip file and installs it. I don't know if it will work with the Verizon variant, but it can't hurt to try.
    Everything I've read about Magisk says that it requires the Bootloader to be unlocked.
    And although Magisk Manager is supposed to install the zip itself I couldn't even get Magisk Manager to install correctly (I was experimenting on my Nexus 6P with the Bootloader unlocked) so I ended up having to install TWRP in order to load the zip file.
    Edit: as a follow up, I was able to install the Magisk Manager app on my Pixel 2 XL, and was able to use it to download the zip file and patch the boot.img file, but you're required to flash the modified boot.img file back to the device in order for Magisk to work properly and of course that's not possible with the Bootloader locked.
    Edit 2: FWIW I nuked my Nexus 6P and reloaded the latest stock image (to get rid of TWRP) and tried loading the Magisk Manager app and after much difficulty I finally got it installed. I used it to download the zip file and patch the boot.img and was able to flash that back to the 6P and then Magisk worked properly (ie I was able to install the app which requires root).
    04-22-2018 11:20 AM