10-25-2018 11:23 AM
84 123 ...
tools
    I have a few wireless charging pads from different manufacturers. I believe is is capable of 10W, and each causes the phone to display "charging rapidly".

I was at 30% yesterday when the charger in my car said it would take 3 hrs to charge. I know this is not meant to be extremely accurate, but I calculated that to be about 1% every 3 minutes.

In contrast, when I plugged it into a Turbo USB-C charger I had been using w/ my Moto Z2 play (I think its 30W), the charging is like 1%/min.

Is this difference b/c of the Wattage difference, or is WIRED charging just inherently faster.

Do we know the wattage rating of the charger provided w/ the Pixel3XL?
    10-21-2018 10:02 AM
    I have a few wireless charging pads from different manufacturers. I believe is is capable of 10W, and each causes the phone to display "charging rapidly".

I was at 30% yesterday when the charger in my car said it would take 3 hrs to charge. I know this is not meant to be extremely accurate, but I calculated that to be about 1% every 3 minutes.

In contrast, when I plugged it into a Turbo USB-C charger I had been using w/ my Moto Z2 play (I think its 30W), the charging is like 1%/min.

Is this difference b/c of the Wattage difference, or is WIRED charging just inherently faster.

Pixel does not rapid charge from other wireless chargers even though it says it does in the display. This was already mentioned in another thread and discussed but I can't seem to locate it. Probably hidden under a different topic.
    10-21-2018 10:07 AM

To answer your question, yes, inductive charging will be slower than wired using the same supply. The furtur the 2 coils are apart contributes furthur to the slow down.
    10-21-2018 11:34 AM
    To answer your question, yes, inductive charging will be slower than wired using the same supply. The furtur the 2 coils are apart contributes furthur to the slow down.
    Though your answer is correct there is a further aspect in this case. The Pixel stand for this phone is able to rapid charge. Other wireless stands like the OP is using that are rapid charge capable are gimped by the Pixel and charge slower even though they indicate they are charging rapidly.
    techslug likes this.
    10-21-2018 01:45 PM
    I use rapid wireless too. Very handy. Even in the car. Why would they have the software say it's doing something it's not. The galaxy tells you when you're hooked up to fast or regular wireless. Is it a sales gimmick?
    Though your answer is correct there is a further aspect in this case. The Pixel stand for this phone is able to rapid charge. Other wireless stands like the OP is using that are rapid charge capable are gimped by the Pixel and charge slower even though they indicate they are charging rapidly.
    10-21-2018 01:51 PM
    I use rapid wireless too. Very handy. Even in the car. Why would they have the software say it's doing something it's not. The galaxy tells you when you're hooked up to fast or regular wireless. Is it a sales gimmick?
    The pixel stand charges rapidly. Other stands do not but the phone says they do. for whatever reason they've decided to make it only compatible with their stands.
    I'm not sure what the motivation is. Could be they want to sell more of their own product.
    10-21-2018 02:08 PM
    yeah it's crazy, I used my fast Samsung charger with pix 3 and very slow and can't use my case which is probably not friendly with the charger , then I used my Samsung wired fast charger which is very slow also. So what this means I can only use wired Pixel charger or it's own wireless charger thanks Google for this 💩
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-21-2018 02:12 PM
    yeah it's crazy, I used my fast Samsung charger with pix 3 and very slow and can't use my case which is probably not friendly with the charger , then I used my Samsung wired fast charger which is very slow also. So what this means I can only use wired Pixel charger or it's own wireless charger thanks Google for this 💩
    They will probably cite liability issues when challenged....lol
    10-21-2018 02:57 PM
    They will probably cite liability issues when challenged....lol
    Probably lol
    10-21-2018 03:02 PM
    Through that other thread I learned of a little app called Ampere. This app will tell you exactly how fast you are charging. Seems like most non Stand charges have clicked in at 500mA which is quite slow. By comparison, plugged into a PD outlet, I was getting 3500mA. My car charger was about 1200mA and is not a fast charger.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mbosdev.ampere
    mustang7757, klau25 and YAYTech like this.
    10-21-2018 03:16 PM
    yeah it's crazy, I used my fast Samsung charger with pix 3 and very slow and can't use my case which is probably not friendly with the charger , then I used my Samsung wired fast charger which is very slow also. So what this means I can only use wired Pixel charger or it's own wireless charger thanks Google for this
    Wow! Google also crippled fast charging on third party wired chargers. So presumably third party fast car chargers would be crippled too. That's a seriously **** move by Google. (Apple HQ is jealous...)
    mustang7757 and J Dubbs like this.
    10-21-2018 05:48 PM
    Wow! Google also crippled fast charging on third party wired chargers. So presumably third party fast car chargers would be crippled too. That's a seriously **** move by Google. (Apple HQ is jealous...)
    Yeah unless Samsung chargers are different I don't see why . I mean it's so slow like from 5% to 15 took 30 minutes, maybe other 3rd party chargers that are equivalent to Google's should work but don't know. Like my 1+6 charges fast with it's own cord and brick but I use Samsung charger and not as slow
    10-21-2018 06:10 PM
    Yeah unless Samsung chargers are different I don't see why . I mean it's so slow like from 5% to 15 took 30 minutes, maybe other 3rd party chargers that are equivalent to Google's should work but don't know. Like my 1+6 charges fast with it's own cord and brick but I use Samsung charger and not as slow
    How much of this is due to the different standards for fast charging that are used? Google uses PD (the USB C standard) and not Quick Charge (Qualcom (?), Sammy and others). Since the OG XL, I have been careful to buy fast chargers that use PD, as it is my understanding they are the only true fast chargers for the Pixels. Google did not license QuickCharge, so those chargers charge at a base rate.

I have an Anker PD USB hub that has a C-type out that charges at ~3500 mA according to Ampere. I'm pretty sure that counts as fast charging.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-21-2018 06:24 PM
    How much of this is due to the different standards for fast charging that are used? Google uses PD (the USB C standard) and not Quick Charge (Qualcom (?), Sammy and others). Since the OG XL, I have been careful to buy fast chargers that use PD, as it is my understanding they are the only true fast chargers for the Pixels. Google did not license QuickCharge, so those chargers charge at a base rate.

I have an Anker PD USB hub that has a C-type out that charges at ~3500 mA according to Ampere. I'm pretty sure that counts as fast charging.
    That makes sense, but still it don't charge standard it charges super slow like turtle slow lol
    10-21-2018 06:37 PM
    I'll have to try it. When it comes to wired Google only supports "Power Delivery" compatible rapide chargers even before the Pixel 3 doesn't matter if it's a car, home or battery pack. I know that's true on the Pixel 2, not sure about the Pixel 1.
    10-21-2018 07:22 PM
    I'll have to try it. When it comes to wired Google only supports "Power Delivery" compatible rapide chargers even before the Pixel 3 doesn't matter if it's a car, home or battery pack. I know that's true on the Pixel 2, not sure about the Pixel 1.
    Don't stick the iPhone charger in it 😂😂 I know it's reversible
    10-21-2018 07:28 PM
    Don't stick the iPhone charger in it ������������ I know it's reversible
    My iPhone is chargerless
    10-21-2018 07:38 PM
    My iPhone is chargerless
    Yes it is wireless , you Kno how my Nexus 5x charger port got damaged, from my kids sticking the lighting charger into it . Now I only leave wireless charger for them just put on the pad
    10-21-2018 07:49 PM
    Can you provide a link to some wireless chargers that ARE compatible w/ the Pixel "charging rapidly" feature?
    10-22-2018 08:46 AM
    Can you provide a link to some wireless chargers that ARE compatible w/ the Pixel "charging rapidly" feature?
    That would involve testing them through all to see if any do. Really too soon to tell.
    10-22-2018 09:09 AM
    That would involve testing them through all to see if any do. Really too soon to tell.
    I am not asking for a comprehensive list of ALL, just a link to a few. I cannot seem to find any on Amazon, and I want to make sure I am looking for the right features/key words.
    10-22-2018 09:11 AM
    I am not asking for a comprehensive list of ALL, just a link to a few. I cannot seem to find any on Amazon, and I want to make sure I am looking for the right features/key words.
    I realize what you are asking. I'm saying that if some did exist it would be too soon to tell. One if the problems is that when you put it on another rapid charging stand the phone will indicate rapid charging but it is actually slow charging. Honestly I think Google came with a way of making it only rapid charge either their own stand.
    10-22-2018 09:16 AM
    Do you guys think this can be changed with a future update? I hope enough people complain about it and Google will push out an update that allowed third party rapid charge wireless.
    10-22-2018 09:20 AM
    Do you guys think this can be changed with a future update? I hope enough people complain about it and Google will push out an update that allowed third party rapid charge wireless.
    It depends on what the issue is. With wired chargers you have to use Power Delivery (PD) compatible chargers instead of QC 3.0.
    I don't know what what is preventing third party wirelesd chargers from rapid charging. If it's just software it could be corrected but I'm not sure and don't know who knows at this point.
    10-22-2018 09:33 AM
    I've had one of these wireless chargers on my desk at work which I had been using with my previous phone:

https://www.amazon.com/TYLT-Wireless...cUvbUpU6376558

Got to work today and threw my Pixel 3XL on it, and it instantly said "charging rapidly". It did indeed bring it from about 90% up to 100% in just a few minutes.
    10-22-2018 01:03 PM
84 123 ...