Glass protector for Pixel 3XL?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Got my Whitestone Dome yesterday and attempted to install it. It didn't go so well. I have a replacement on the way and it will be arriving on Tuesday. They changed the installation this time around. I am not a fan of it and was not ready for it. I will be ready for it come Tuesday.

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Got my Whitestone Dome yesterday and attempted to install it. It didn't go so well. I have a replacement on the way and it will be arriving on Tuesday. They changed the installation this time around. I am not a fan of it and was not ready for it. I will be ready for it come Tuesday.
Yup...so much for the "tilt" method . Had to look up the vid and read the instructions a couple of times then do a dry run. Came out nice and crisp though. Just take your time and you'll be aight

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
As a general rule, glass screen protectors protect your screen from scratches, but are not so good in absorbing impact. Many times I've seen drops with glass screen protector and the actual screen ends up cracking.
On the other hand, poly carbonate type ones (like Rhinoshield), protect against impact, and they seem to do pretty well. As a trade-off, they scratch a lot easier and the optical clarify is not the same as glass variants. I guess depending on your usage, you should consider what tipe of protector to use.

Coop61

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
My Whitestone Dome should be here Sunday . Should be interesting . Hopefully it will be better than the Zagg.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My Whitestone Dome should be here Sunday . Should be interesting . Hopefully it will be better than the Zagg.

Installed two previously without issues. F'd up this one on the first try. I liked the see saw method on the older series better than the new method. Will try again tomorrow. Or... May just go for $12 glass protectors that lift a bit at the edge off the viewing area. Heck, I can can get 4 for the price of this. And, realistically, the oleophobic coating doesn't last any longer on these.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the 3 pack of amfilm glass for my 3 XL. Three for less than $10 so even if they aren't great I'm not losing much.

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just got my 3-pack. They are... fair. In addition to the edges not adhering (which I've gotten used to when it's consistent all around) there were little bubbles in the middle of the screen, not caused by dust BTW.

So, back to Caseology. $7.85 on Amazon for a 2-pack.

It's frustrating that finding a decent screen protector is such a pain for the 3XL.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got my 3-pack. They are... fair. In addition to the edges not adhering (which I've gotten used to when it's consistent all around) there were little bubbles in the middle of the screen, not caused by dust BTW.

So, back to Caseology. $7.85 on Amazon for a 2-pack.

It's frustrating that finding a decent screen protector is such a pain for the 3XL.

I got my 3 pack of AMfilm and a 2 pack of caseology yesterday. This morning I attempted to put on all 5. With zero success.

The AMFilm one's all left a huge spot around almost all the edges that won't adhere. I'm ok if a bit doesn't adhere but this was ridiculous. So I tried all 3 and same result, along with bubbles in the middle. So then i though, let's try the caseology, it has a nice tool to install (frame to line up the protector). I'm not sure how but they were even worse than the AMfilm. They literally had 1/4" or more around the edges that doesn't adhere. Tried both. No luck.

I had a backup plan though and just installed a wet install plastic protector. Went on perfectly and covered the whole screen. These all feel like rubber so that's the downside but the lifting edges on the glass one's drive me bonkers. I guess with the XL you have to make a sacrifice of some sort if you want screen protection.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess with the XL you have to make a sacrifice of some sort if you want screen protection.

So it's poor coverage/lifting edges/rainbow/dots, or poor 'feel'/more easily scratched/faster to wear out, accepting one of those sacrifices to get the protection at a low price, or what I'm finding to be flawless (so far) after getting back the admittedly intimidating installation process (which did actually go just fine once my nerves settled) for a much higher price.

I don't like having spent nearly $50 USD on a screen protector, but I do believe that it is by far the best solution if you want to provide additional scratch protection for the screen without betraying the feel of the phone.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
At +/-$50 cost quality TGPs look a lot more like an overpriced insurance premium, which I generally avoid on electronics. I could easily buy a new, full price 3XL with all of the insurance premiums I haven't paid and at $50 per TGP the same will be quickly be true for a screen repair/replacement.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I purchased LK 3 pack film on Amazon for $7. Came with a clear jelly case also. Film has holes for sensors/camera. I'm satisfied.

Coop61

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Installed my Whitestone Dome last night . It came out really nice . Has to be the best screen protector I've ever used.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruchi Chandel