I recently bought a separate pair of USB C Pixel earbuds (the ones you get with the Pixel 3) for use with my Pixel 2 and other devices.

Very disappointed to discover that they will only work with my phone. Tried plugging them into my USB C port on my PC and the USB C port on my Nintendo Switch and neither device even recognises that something has been plugged in!

No issues whatsoever on my Pixel 2, they sound great for £18, but I am majorly annoyed that they seem to have been designed for a very limited number of devices, given that USB C is supposed to be universal.

Has anyone else experienced the same, or does it seem like my pair might be faulty?
    06-08-2019 10:50 AM
    Not all devices send digital audio through the data lines on USB-C, but that's what the earphones are looking for (there's a DAC in them somewhere - a thickening in the cable or in one of the earphones). The PC has an audio ourput jack (at least one - many have one in front and one in the back). The Nintendo Switch also has a 3.5mm jack, so no audio on the USB connector.

Earphones with a built-in DAC only work with devices that have no DAC - like the Pixel 2 and 3 series.
    06-08-2019 02:34 PM
    I recently bought a separate pair of USB C Pixel earbuds (the ones you get with the Pixel 3) for use with my Pixel 2 and other devices.

Very disappointed to discover that they will only work with my phone. Tried plugging them into my USB C port on my PC and the USB C port on my Nintendo Switch and neither device even recognises that something has been plugged in!

No issues whatsoever on my Pixel 2, they sound great for £18, but I am majorly annoyed that they seem to have been designed for a very limited number of devices, given that USB C is supposed to be universal.

Has anyone else experienced the same, or does it seem like my pair might be faulty?
    Well don't feel lonely the ear buds that came with my HTC 12+ are USB C but they won't work with my pixel 3 . Pretty stupid if you ask me .
    06-09-2019 05:32 PM

It's not the headphones,,, it's the device
    06-09-2019 06:23 PM
    Well don't feel lonely the ear buds that came with my HTC 12+ are USB C but they won't work with my pixel 3 . Pretty stupid if you ask me .
    That's very strange because my Pixels work with HTC dongles. My Pixel buds work on my Samsung, and LG phones as well as all of the different dongles I have. I know they don't work on Moto devices because the USB C output on Moto is straight audio
    06-09-2019 06:26 PM
    I just realized there was something difference about the HTC buds that probably make them incompatible with other devices
    06-09-2019 06:27 PM
    That's very strange because my Pixels work with HTC dongles. My Pixel buds work on my Samsung, and LG phones as well as all of the different dongles I have. I know they don't work on Moto devices because the USB C output on Moto is straight audio
    Well I'm gonna mess with it again whenever I get home just for the heck of it . I was gonna give them to a friend with a pixel 2 but whenever I tried them in my 3 they wouldn't work so I just put them back in the phone drawer .
    06-09-2019 06:29 PM
    At least the head phone Jack was truly universal . It may have been the last universal Jack on a phone LOL
    06-09-2019 06:31 PM
    Well I'm gonna mess with it again whenever I get home just for the heck of it . I was gonna give them to a friend with a pixel 2 but whenever I tried them in my 3 they wouldn't work so I just put them back in the phone drawer .
    I do remember that there something special about those buds, just don't recall.
    06-09-2019 10:04 PM
    I do remember that there something special about those buds, just don't recall.
    Yea it gives an error message that says this analog device is not compatible "
    06-09-2019 10:38 PM
    I'll try my pixel buds tomorrow on my s10+ see what happens.
    Jlharper016 likes this.
    06-09-2019 10:42 PM
    I'll try my pixel buds tomorrow on my s10+ see what happens.
    Mine work and so will yours but I'm not sure Doby Atmos comes into play
    Jlharper016 likes this.
    06-10-2019 12:33 AM
    Good that they work , do they sound good?
    06-10-2019 12:58 AM
    Dolby Atmos makes a noticeable difference when I use the Pixel Buds with my Mate 20 Pro
    06-17-2019 09:23 AM
    I either use my Soundcore Liberty Air wireless earpods or the wonderful wired ones that came with my Pixel.
    08-04-2019 02:50 PM