Are the Pixel USB C earbuds only compatible with Pixels?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recently bought a separate pair of USB C Pixel earbuds (the ones you get with the Pixel 3) for use with my Pixel 2 and other devices.

Very disappointed to discover that they will only work with my phone. Tried plugging them into my USB C port on my PC and the USB C port on my Nintendo Switch and neither device even recognises that something has been plugged in!

No issues whatsoever on my Pixel 2, they sound great for £18, but I am majorly annoyed that they seem to have been designed for a very limited number of devices, given that USB C is supposed to be universal.

Has anyone else experienced the same, or does it seem like my pair might be faulty?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not all devices send digital audio through the data lines on USB-C, but that's what the earphones are looking for (there's a DAC in them somewhere - a thickening in the cable or in one of the earphones). The PC has an audio ourput jack (at least one - many have one in front and one in the back). The Nintendo Switch also has a 3.5mm jack, so no audio on the USB connector.

Earphones with a built-in DAC only work with devices that have no DAC - like the Pixel 2 and 3 series.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought a separate pair of USB C Pixel earbuds (the ones you get with the Pixel 3) for use with my Pixel 2 and other devices.

Very disappointed to discover that they will only work with my phone. Tried plugging them into my USB C port on my PC and the USB C port on my Nintendo Switch and neither device even recognises that something has been plugged in!

No issues whatsoever on my Pixel 2, they sound great for £18, but I am majorly annoyed that they seem to have been designed for a very limited number of devices, given that USB C is supposed to be universal.

Has anyone else experienced the same, or does it seem like my pair might be faulty?

Well don't feel lonely the ear buds that came with my HTC 12+ are USB C but they won't work with my pixel 3 . Pretty stupid if you ask me .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It's not the headphones,,, it's the device

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well don't feel lonely the ear buds that came with my HTC 12+ are USB C but they won't work with my pixel 3 . Pretty stupid if you ask me .
That's very strange because my Pixels work with HTC dongles. My Pixel buds work on my Samsung, and LG phones as well as all of the different dongles I have. I know they don't work on Moto devices because the USB C output on Moto is straight audio

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just realized there was something difference about the HTC buds that probably make them incompatible with other devices

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's very strange because my Pixels work with HTC dongles. My Pixel buds work on my Samsung, and LG phones as well as all of the different dongles I have. I know they don't work on Moto devices because the USB C output on Moto is straight audio

Well I'm gonna mess with it again whenever I get home just for the heck of it . I was gonna give them to a friend with a pixel 2 but whenever I tried them in my 3 they wouldn't work so I just put them back in the phone drawer .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm gonna mess with it again whenever I get home just for the heck of it . I was gonna give them to a friend with a pixel 2 but whenever I tried them in my 3 they wouldn't work so I just put them back in the phone drawer .
I do remember that there something special about those buds, just don't recall.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie