Grainy Screen?

Jadder

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm on my second Pixel C due to touchscreen issues. One thing I noticed on my first unit was that the screen had a uniform, regular (almost hexagonal) grain pattern that I haven't seen on a touch screen before. My Nexus 10 that I've waited so long to replace certainly didn't have it.

It's wasn't always noticeable but could be seen quite easily on apps with large blank areas (a browser for example). I'd heard the Pixel C had a stunning display so that's what made me buy it but to my eyes it's not as clear as I was expecting.

I thought the grain and unresponsive touchscreen problem might be linked so I asked for a replacement however it also has the grain effect across the screen.

Is everyone's screen the same or have been unlucky to get 2 from a bad batch?

Thanks.

majesticAsFk

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever come to a conclusion with this? I've just received mine and it also has a grainy screen.
I feel reviewers would have picked up on this if this were standard? Certainly not representative of it's cost.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I think you guys are adding confusion to the problem. Jadder isn't asking what it is, but if it is an issue everyone is experiencing. To say it is the digitizer not only fails to answer the question, but also suggests that everyone has the issue. If that is true then there is a major flaw that nobody seems to be talking about. Certainly people are not seeing the digitizer in other tablets are they? And while some things done to images to increase the responsiveness of web pages and applications can cause the image to appear grainy, that is not the problem Jadder stated--seldom does such graininess appear as a hexagonal pattern and he specifically said it "could be seen quite easily on apps with large blank areas (a browser for example)."

I can understand that the user might be seeing the digitizer, but a bit more information might tell the user whether he should return the device or not. Why is the user seeing the digitizer on this device but not the one that it replaced? Does it relate to the pixel count? I remember seeing some discussion of people seeing the digitizer but have not followed up on it so if you have more details, it might be more helpful to the user.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it once or twice when the tablet was new, but now my eyes don't notice it at all. Honestly, if you look hard enough at any device, you'll be able to identify the digitizer, or at least some blur created by the digitizer layer (even on Apple displays). It's kind of a non-issue IMO.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I noticed it once or twice when the tablet was new, but now my eyes don't notice it at all. Honestly, if you look hard enough at any device, you'll be able to identify the digitizer, or at least some blur created by the digitizer layer (even on Apple displays). It's kind of a non-issue IMO.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati

I was suspecting that to be your answer. A feature of commentary about screens is that some are overly critical and see flaws where others see beauty. I cannot count the times that I was told the screen on the phone I had was the worst--I never had a problem with them.

That said, if the OP is still around, what is missing in the problem description is a better definition for "grainy". I'm not sure a photo would show what you see, but IMHO, more info is needed. I did some looking for the threads on whatever forums I had been reading where someone mentioned the digitizer or some sort of flaw in the screen and came-up empty. And as I mentioned before, nobody seems to be talking about it. I do remember reading that from some folks about the Pixel C in particular, So my guess is that you could have a faulty device, or you could be picking at nits.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I was suspecting that to be your answer. A feature of commentary about screens is that some are overly critical and see flaws where others see beauty. I cannot count the times that I was told the screen on the phone I had was the worst--I never had a problem with them.

That said, if the OP is still around, what is missing in the problem description is a better definition for "grainy". I'm not sure a photo would show what you see, but IMHO, more info is needed. I did some looking for the threads on whatever forums I had been reading where someone mentioned the digitizer or some sort of flaw in the screen and came-up empty. And as I mentioned before, nobody seems to be talking about it. I do remember reading that from some folks about the Pixel C in particular, So my guess is that you could have a faulty device, or you could be picking at nits.

I'm also guessing that screen brightness and background have a factor. I use auto brightness and, except for web pages, never have a white background on, so the screen isn't so bright the digitizer is noticeable. I'd assume if one was doing something with lots of white and full/high screen brightness, the digitizer would stand out more, but again, at that point, it becomes more visible on everything (even my iPad).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes