Should i get a Pixel C or Other Android Tablet?

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I really should be clearer, I have the signal strength issue. I have been conflating that with the download speed issue, thinking they were related (they may be), but for clarity, I checked for signal strength.

Also, WiFi Analyzer is a first step, as mentioned on the Google support forum, I need to use iPerf before I report the problem.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Sadly, at this point I'm going to have to join the "Don't get it" chorus.

Not only do I have barely more than half the bandwidth of my Samsung tablet (as measured by iPerf), but I am getting errors when I try to file a support ticket (Help & Feedback in settings), and my charger is flaky.

Edited to add:

Google's tech support would refund me the price for a new charger, the issue of the WiFi is pending--I'm going to test it at work and faithfully follow their script to a point. They no doubt will offer to replace the tablet, but I'm not sure I want that since I've not seen anyone made whole that way--I have however seen several made worse. So I will probably return it and get my money back.

But along the way I have some pointed questions for Google and my response will be tempered by their answers.

Last edited:

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
So we--Google and I--are at the point of discussing whether to return or replace the tablet, and I've asked them some questions I doubt they'll answer, but if they do, would involve someone from the development or engineering team to answer, we'll see.

Along the way to this point I've continued to use the tablet and realized that it doesn't feel like I'm getting slow WiFi. So to recap, The day after I got the tablet I walked into the sun room at the back of the house, a place where the wife sits with her tablet all the time, and was going to show the wife something when I noticed that WiFi dropped out entirely. Not only does my wife exclusively use her tablet back there, but we have a Roku on WiFi back there as well, so dropping off WiFi was a sure sign of an issue. So I went back in the house, pulled up WiFi analyzer on the old Samsung and the Pixel C, and compared signals between both. The Pixel C was quite a bit lower. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I might be conflating the issue of signal strength with the speed issue. But when I tested with iPerf, the Pixel C was getting just over half the bandwidth of the Samsung.

Also along the way the Charger stopped charging. Seems there is a fault in the cable. I'm using my Nexus 6P charger to charge it now.

So the point of this is to say that I may keep it in spite of the WiFi issue. Google will reimburse the cost of the charger--I'll get a 6P charger, the cord is thicker and I think the plug fits more solidly. All depends on their answers, but I really like this tablet.

One final thing though. Just noticed that the last upgrade for my router was dated a few years back. I'll have to check the dd-wrt site to see, but if there isn't a more up-to-date firmware, I'll be in the market for a new router as well. It never ends you know.

Donald Smith2

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So we--Google and I--are at the point of discussing whether to return or replace the tablet, and I've asked them some questions I doubt they'll answer, but if they do, would involve someone from the development or engineering team to answer, we'll see.

Interesting to follow this; mine arrived late in the day on 4/28, need the full charging and then into updates. At this point, I am pretty well fully set (to my current usage) and I haven't noticed any issues... That said, I've probably only been a few feet from my router most of the day, and I'd been using an older/temp tablet which will make anything look fast. The next few days should be interesting, but build quality is great and the display for what I've had up is very vivid.

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I had been looking as well. But the price and issues plus not being Android changed my mind. Got a great deal on the Tab S 10.5 with Bluetooth keyboard for 300 bucks. Swappable is my new friend! 😆

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Interesting to follow this; mine arrived late in the day on 4/28, need the full charging and then into updates. At this point, I am pretty well fully set (to my current usage) and I haven't noticed any issues... That said, I've probably only been a few feet from my router most of the day, and I'd been using an older/temp tablet which will make anything look fast. The next few days should be interesting, but build quality is great and the display for what I've had up is very vivid.

Have not received a reply so I sent an email their way and asked that they elevate it. We'll see. As I think I at least alluded, they may have problems answering my questions. Companies don't tend to want to divulge the results of their internal tests for a number of good and bad reasons. I have of course continued to use it and still feel that all I have is a connection strength issue--which will not bother me much at all because I use it primarily at home and occasionally at work, and coverage in both places is adequate most of the time. When it isn't, I'll tether with my 6P. I have a new router in route that should help with the connection strength issue and if it doesn't then perhaps I'll buy an extender.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Google support has skipped out on the discussion--gone AWOL. They asked me for info to return the tablet and I asked them some questions, one of them about how to get the IMEI number and got crickets back.

Here is where I am at the moment on the whole matter, take it with a grain:

To me the issue has always been about connection strength, the speed numbers were a red herring--or at least felt that way. There are indications that the May update has done something to solve the speed issue, but then it just doesn't feel slow to me. I can deal with the connection strength issue.

But the issue has now morphed into a moral issue--Google's responsibility to deal honestly with its customers. I specifically took care not to be a jerk in both my communication with them and my on-line reporting of the issue both here and at the product forums--I didn't buy into the tripe about how if Google hadn't fixed it by now then.... I didn't mark Google as a bad player over the issue without direct experience of them being a bad player. That they haven't responded to my email, and my followup asking for elevation though have shaken my confidence on the matter. If I remember to bring the tablet to work tomorrow I'll call them and see if I can at least get them to tell me why I'm not getting a response.

Now that I've vented a bit, keep in mind, there are possible answers to why I'm not getting answers, things are not always how they look when you're on the outside pounding on the door.

In the mean time, in near parallel to the Pixel C story, I've gotten a Surface Pro 4 at work and it has supplanted both my desktop and laptop. I've all but rewritten the data layer on an app using the surface with a keyboard, mouse, and a second monitor attached to it. I wouldn't yet say I'm attached or a convert, but it's above par.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Moral of this thread...your device needs a "wifi" connection so you can enjoy and be productive on your device. Wifi is the weakness of the Pixel C...for the lucky ones who have a good wifi connection..."nice" but I'm not willing to play the lottery system.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel C arriving today, purchased with the developer discount. I've been aware of the wifi issues for ages now, but I still feel it may be a device I can love in spite of them. My Nexus 10 is aging, I'm having it sometimes just shut down at 39% battery left. My eyes are old and I like bigger screens. We've just gotten hooked up for fiber optic wifi at our house and so far no issues at all with other devices, good strong signal wherever I use them.

I don't have a strong need to stream movies/music on the tablet, mostly I'm reading or playing some online games. The latter is a concern, but that's what I'll be checking out. For travel, if needed, I could use my Nexus 6p as a hotspot. Not my preference, but I don't travel often anyway, so it's a compromise I can live with.

So if it performs decently enough, I'll probably be happy with it. If not, I return it. I do plan to drag it all over town to test it out, we live in a rural area and truly strong wifi is rarely found.

I agree that Google has not acted well about the issue. It disturbs me that so many have said that Google reps pretend they've never heard of the problem.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
It disturbs me that so many have said that Google reps pretend they've never heard of the problem.

That was not my experience. When I explained what I had done to troubleshoot they expressed happiness that I had "been to the forum", referring to the Google product forum thread on the issue.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Called Google today to express my concern over not getting email responses. The technician didn't see any attempts to answer my emails or notes discussing the attempts to address it. One of the questions I had asked was where the IMEI number, which they had asked for, could be found.

The technician told me to look a couple places in settings which didn't uncover the IMEI number (I would have been surprised if it did since this is not a cellular device). Then he put me on hold for a bit and on returning to me said he would tell me how to find my IMEI, that it was in Settings, About this tablet. He also said he was going to send me to Project Fi support. Admittedly I lit into him a bit at this point. We had already proven that the IMEI number isn't in Settings, About this tablet and Project Fi wasn't a likely place to get support for a tablet without phone service. He admitted that the IMEI number wasn't what was needed but insisted that since he was a Nexus support technician, he couldn't help and Project Fi could. So I told him to go ahead an act like a Verizon tech support monkey and shuffle off to someone else who couldn't help. And sure enough, it flummoxed the Project Fi tech as well, who passed me off to who she called "hardware support" where I now wait in a 30 minute queue.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Called Google today to express my concern over not getting email responses. The technician didn't see any attempts to answer my emails or notes discussing the attempts to address it. One of the questions I had asked was where the IMEI number, which they had asked for, could be found.

The technician told me to look a couple places in settings which didn't uncover the IMEI number (I would have been surprised if it did since this is not a cellular device). Then he put me on hold for a bit and on returning to me said he would tell me how to find my IMEI, that it was in Settings, About this tablet. He also said he was going to send me to Project Fi support. Admittedly I lit into him a bit at this point. We had already proven that the IMEI number isn't in Settings, About this tablet and Project Fi wasn't a likely place to get support for a tablet without phone service. He admitted that the IMEI number wasn't what was needed but insisted that since he was a Nexus support technician, he couldn't help and Project Fi could. So I told him to go ahead an act like a Verizon tech support monkey and shuffle off to someone else who couldn't help. And sure enough, it flummoxed the Project Fi tech as well, who passed me off to who she called "hardware support" where I now wait in a 30 minute queue.

I would have thought Nexus support would have the best luck because a lot of the software is similar to the Nexus 9. I just went through all the settings on mine and I don't see that info stored in the settings anywhere. Furthermore, since this device doesn't have cellular connectivity - I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an IMEI number.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Finally got out of the queue, probably wasn't a full 30 minutes and the call went to the wrong place but the tech that answered the call took care of me anyway. I am returning the tablet for replacement as he said it sounds like I have a hardware issue.

So to wrap up today, I talked to two knowledgeable and helpful technicians and one clueless waste of good air who cost me a bit of time. He will probably (hopefully) be getting some extra training if the reaction of the other technicians could be believed.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Glad you at least found someone who knew about the forum thread!

Mine arrived, no trouble connecting to wifi in the back bedroom so far, but I was concerned that the tablet's battery appears to have been at close to 0% on arrival! I plugged the tablet into the charger first thing like the instructions said, it then told me there was a necessary update to download, so I entered my wifi password, it checked for connection, downloaded said update, then told me the battery was too low to install it! When I looked at the battery indicator, it appeared empty, not even a thin line of charge showing!

First time I've ever received a device with a battery in this much of a depleted state, hope it has not affected the long term battery life! Should I worry?

Otherwise, since I can't play with my Pixel C yet, love the look and feel. So light compared to the Nexus 10! Feels VERY premium EXCEPT for the wimpy looking charger cord. Which looks the opposite of premium when compared to the cords for my Nexus 7, Nexus 9 and Nexus 6p.

Wish Google had gone with the usual arrangement of charger brick/separate cord here.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Mine arrived, no trouble connecting to wifi in the back bedroom so far, but I was concerned that the tablet's battery appears to have been at close to 0% on arrival! I plugged the tablet into the charger first thing like the instructions said, it then told me there was a necessary update to download, so I entered my wifi password, it checked for connection, downloaded said update, then told me the battery was too low to install it! When I looked at the battery indicator, it appeared empty, not even a thin line of charge showing!

First time I've ever received a device with a battery in this much of a depleted state, hope it has not affected the long term battery life! Should I worry?

Otherwise, since I can't play with my Pixel C yet, love the look and feel. So light compared to the Nexus 10! Feels VERY premium EXCEPT for the wimpy looking charger cord. Which looks the opposite of premium when compared to the cords for my Nexus 7, Nexus 9 and Nexus 6p.

Wish Google had gone with the usual arrangement of charger brick/separate cord here.

Mine was the same when it arrived. Been fine for battery since though.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site

These batteries don't like being either completely depleted or full. If your's showed some battery, I would bet its okay, but it is curious that it wasn't near 50%

Agree entirely on the charger. Mine died a few days after I got it. Google is replacing mine, but I wanted something more substantial so I got this cord:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Type-USB-C-Black/dp/B00WAKL6I8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

and this charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Type-C-Macbook-Supported-Devices/dp/B017I7EX46?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I would have thought Nexus support would have the best luck because a lot of the software is similar to the Nexus 9. I just went through all the settings on mine and I don't see that info stored in the settings anywhere. Furthermore, since this device doesn't have cellular connectivity - I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an IMEI number.

Yes, like I alluded to, it doesn't (have a cell radio) as confirmed by the last support tech that I talked to. The Project Fi tech said that they now allow tablets. I was hoping for some hidden capability after she said that, but just knew that there was no place for a sim card.

Last edited:

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
These batteries don't like being either completely depleted or full. If your's showed some battery, I would bet its okay, but it is curious that it wasn't near 50%

Agree entirely on the charger. Mine died a few days after I got it. Google is replacing mine, but I wanted something more substantial so I got this cord:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Type-USB-C-Black/dp/B00WAKL6I8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

and this charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Type-C-Macbook-Supported-Devices/dp/B017I7EX46?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Yes, I know, which is why I was concerned, hopefully as long as it is rarely, if ever depleted again, it should survive. I'm accustomed to getting devices at around 50% as you say.

I have a spare USB type C cord for my Nexus 6p, wondering if the 6p charger could charge the Pixel in a pinch. I just don't feel like the charger/cord combo it came with will hold up. That cord is so flimsy looking!

Battery's up to 87% now, letting it run until charged before I play with it further.

Did notice it fluctuating between 2-3 bars on the wifi where my other devices were all a solid 3. But it's fast and smooth and responsive like my 6p ... so hoping I can live with any wifi quirks.

Edit: Thanks for the links! I may go that route.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000