Android 7.0 Nougat for Pixel C

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

This thread is for Pixel C owners who have gotten Android 7.0 or anyone who has questions/issues with 7.0.

If the OTA hasn't rolled out to your device yet, you don't want to wait a week or two for it to roll out normally and you don't want to root the tablet or sideload a file through ADB and all that to get it, you can do what I did which is sign up for the Android Beta program and the 7.0 update (the full update, not some beta version) will be sent to you immediately.

Android Beta Program: https://www.google.com/android/beta?u=0

Sign your Pixel C up, then go to your Settings application -> About tablet -> System updates -> Check for updates

It should appear right away for download (download is approx 1 gigabyte, so get on wifi before you download!)

My first impressions of Android 7.0 on the Pixel C:

- I did try 7.0 on the beta program for a bit, but found it unstable so I had reverted back to 6.0.

- The software udpate process is much, MUCH faster than before, with the 'updating android apps' section (which used to be so incredibly so) now super quick. It updated the tablet from 6.0 to 7.0 in about 5 minutes which is pretty good for a complete OS update.

- The UI seems faster and snappier than before, but not sure if this is just some placebo effect where I'm only believing that it's faster because it's on new software. Need someone to test the tablet on 6.0 and 7.0.

- The split screen works very well. Very simple to use. Not sure if I'll use it too often as even the 10" screen of the Pixel C seems a little small to really benefit from it, but it's great that Android now has split screen functionality baked into the OS. If you long press the multi-task button it'll pull the last two apps you've used and split screen it automatically, so you don't have to press and drag to the side or anything.

- Notifications seem are handled better. More information and presented neatly imo.

- This doesn't have that new UI that had been leaked out, the one without an app launcher. Maybe that will release with the Nexus phones this year.

Overall there's no complaints. Seems to be a really solid update with a bunch of things being done behind the scenes which I can't even comment on.

Now just waiting for the Nexus phones to be released. I'm currently on a Galaxy Note 7, but I find this software to be much speedier and nicer to use, so I'll jump to Nexus when it's released.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
First day of proper use. I was on it just about all the time at work (subbing this for my laptop) and I have to say, the battery life has been outstanding.

WDQgSGK.jpg

qbIWgU7.jpg

50% battery with 5 hours screen time. That's pretty stellar imo. Should get 9.5-10 hours screen time before it goes completely flat.

Granted I wasn't stressing the processor with games or anything, but very happy with this performance.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
As far as I could see, the final version only got rid of the beta notification on startup. I still have the power-off bug that was there in the beta too.
I was listening to something about freeform windows on a podcast the other day but I don't see any sign of this on the Pixel so far. Is it only on certain devices?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

This thread is for Pixel C owners who have gotten Android 7.0 or anyone who has questions/issues with 7.0.

If the OTA hasn't rolled out to your device yet, you don't want to wait a week or two for it to roll out normally and you don't want to root the tablet or sideload a file through ADB and all that to get it, you can do what I did which is sign up for the Android Beta program and the 7.0 update (the full update, not some beta version) will be sent to you immediately.

Android Beta Program: https://www.google.com/android/beta?u=0

Sign your Pixel C up, then go to your Settings application -> About tablet -> System updates -> Check for updates

It should appear right away for download (download is approx 1 gigabyte, so get on wifi before you download!)

My first impressions of Android 7.0 on the Pixel C:

- I did try 7.0 on the beta program for a bit, but found it unstable so I had reverted back to 6.0.

- The software udpate process is much, MUCH faster than before, with the 'updating android apps' section (which used to be so incredibly so) now super quick. It updated the tablet from 6.0 to 7.0 in about 5 minutes which is pretty good for a complete OS update.

- The UI seems faster and snappier than before, but not sure if this is just some placebo effect where I'm only believing that it's faster because it's on new software. Need someone to test the tablet on 6.0 and 7.0.

- The split screen works very well. Very simple to use. Not sure if I'll use it too often as even the 10" screen of the Pixel C seems a little small to really benefit from it, but it's great that Android now has split screen functionality baked into the OS. If you long press the multi-task button it'll pull the last two apps you've used and split screen it automatically, so you don't have to press and drag to the side or anything.

- Notifications seem are handled better. More information and presented neatly imo.

- This doesn't have that new UI that had been leaked out, the one without an app launcher. Maybe that will release with the Nexus phones this year.

Overall there's no complaints. Seems to be a really solid update with a bunch of things being done behind the scenes which I can't even comment on.

Now just waiting for the Nexus phones to be released. I'm currently on a Galaxy Note 7, but I find this software to be much speedier and nicer to use, so I'll jump to Nexus when it's released.

How's your wi-fi? They have $75 off the 64gb Pixel C right now and I'm REALLY debating on picking one up. The wi-fi issues have scared me off, but I've also heard quite a few people lately say that they aren't having major issues with wi-fi anymore. This has always looked like something I would absolutely love, but just never pulled the trigger because of that. Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide me.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
How's your wi-fi? They have $75 off the 64gb Pixel C right now and I'm REALLY debating on picking one up. The wi-fi issues have scared me off, but I've also heard quite a few people lately say that they aren't having major issues with wi-fi anymore. This has always looked like something I would absolutely love, but just never pulled the trigger because of that. Thanks in advance for any info. you can provide me.
I did have wifi issues but that was with my original Pixel C. That had a screen issue which I had to RMA and the new one I got doesn't have any issue with wifi. I get good connection and speeds.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I did have wifi issues but that was with my original Pixel C. That had a screen issue which I had to RMA and the new one I got doesn't have any issue with wifi. I get good connection and speeds.

Nice! I think it may be worth a shot. Worst thing that could happen is I send it back and get a refund.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice! I think it may be worth a shot. Worst thing that could happen is I send it back and get a refund.

Yeah give it a try.

Though rumours are going around that come October 4th, there might be a new Pixel C Google will reveal. Nothing set in stone yet, but just giving you a heads up.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah give it a try.

Though rumours are going around that come October 4th, there might be a new Pixel C Google will reveal. Nothing set in stone yet, but just giving you a heads up.

I think I will. I haven't heard any rumors about that. Just the phones, new Chromecast, Google Home and Daydream. I have heard rumors of a Pixel Chromebook replacement.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah give it a try.

I went ahead and ordered one so I didn't miss out on the sale. I can always return it - Google is phenomenal about that. But of course, just last night, I hear about a possible Nexus 7 replacement!

HollowGrapeJ98

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
First day of proper use. I was on it just about all the time at work (subbing this for my laptop) and I have to say, the battery life has been outstanding.

http://i.imgur.com/WDQgSGK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qbIWgU7.jpg

50% battery with 5 hours screen time. That's pretty stellar imo. Should get 9.5-10 hours screen time before it goes completely flat.

Granted I wasn't stressing the processor with games or anything, but very happy with this performance.

Awesome.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Actually it's started again. Not being able to power the device is a real pain and leaves me with zero batter to much of the time.

Definitely must be a hardware fault in my one rather than a software one.