Nexus 10 replacement?

jadedangel143

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, my beloved nexus 10 is officially dead. I need replacement. I'm thinking either pixel c or since they'll be able to run android apps soon, getting a convertable chromebook and using it as a tablet. How is the pixel c?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, my beloved nexus 10 is officially dead. I need replacement. I'm thinking either pixel c or since they'll be able to run android apps soon, getting a convertable chromebook and using it as a tablet. How is the pixel c?

It's very good for what it is, but it's dead as far as Google is concerned. I'd get the Chromebook at this stage.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

I got the Pixel C to replace my Nexus 9, which I was giving away to a friend who badly needed a tablet. It is an excellent tablet and a nice upgrade which will be receiving updates for the next year or more. Since it's such a good replacement for the Nexus 9, then it is DEFINITELY a more than worthy replacement for the Nexus 10. You will not regret it.

If you can, I would wait until the MORNING of Black Friday to see if they will have any type of deal for it. If you can't wait, it is still a very worthy replacement for the Nexus 10.

jadedangel143

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Forgot about black friday. How is the pixel c dead to google? It's getting security updates and running 7.0 and can join android beta program?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Forgot about black friday. How is the pixel c dead to google? It's getting security updates and running 7.0 and can join android beta program?

Because it's on the same release path as the Nexus phones, which are also dead to Google, and not the Pixel phones.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

You are correct on all points. It's not dead at all. The Pixel C will run its natural course, just like the Nexus 6, the Nexus 9, and the Nexus 5x/6p.. The new Pixel and Pixel XL will also run their natural course.

I think that people are getting thrown off by the name change from Nexus to Pixel, thus drawing incorrect and emotional conclusions. The fact is that EVERY year, as the new devices come out, Google Play removes the older devices from their Play Store in order not to cannibalize their sales. They did this VERY thing with the Nexus 6 last year when the 6p was released. The older devices continue to receive updates and security patches for their natural cycle, which is 2-3 years from its release. The name change (Nexus/Pixel) means nothing. They could have just as easily kept the name as Nexus. It is all about marketing, to justify the price jump from the Nexus to the Pixel. What's FAR MORE important is the YEAR your Nexus/Pixel device was released.

Nexus is to Pixel what Clark Kent is to Superman.

GPuba

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

Again... I just bought my Pixel C last week, which replaced my Nexus 9 that I had to give away to a friend who really needed it. I was fine with my Nexus 9, which was running 7.0 and was in the beta program. The Pixel C is a terrific device, and coming from the Nexus 10, you will be quite pleased.

As for Black Friday, I was just trying to see if you could get a good sale. As you can see, I didn't wait for Black Friday, and I am STILL perfectly happy!!!

...and my friend LOVES their Nexus 9!

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
If you want to get Google's latest tablet, get the Pixel. As the name indicates it is the first tablet of the Pixel line and will get support the same way--for the same amount of time--all the Nexi get updates. If there is something about the Pixel phones that you are just burning to have on a tablet, you might have to wait for the next Pixel tablet. While the assistant can and may get adopted on the current Pixel, the changes to the update scheme cannot be fully adopted as far as I can tell.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
A chrome book would be a better option at this point. There is no future for Android tablets but chrome books are looking bright.

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
A chrome book would be a better option at this point. There is no future for Android tablets but chrome books are looking bright.

I'd say the whole of Chrome and Android are up in the air. If you are connected enough to make the statement that there is no future for Andriod tablets, then add some meat to the bone.

Personally I think the future is likely to be Andromeda, not chrome or Android, but who knows when that will be, or what hardware it will be compatible with. So again, if you want Google's latest tablet, that is the Pixel C. It is a fine tablet that will last you until whatever Google is planning comes out.

That isn't to say that Chromebooks are to be avoided, I think they compel your attention as well, I just don't think anyone truly knows where Google's head is at.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd say the whole of Chrome and Android are up in the air. If you are connected enough to make the statement that there is no future for Andriod tablets, then add some meat to the bone.

Personally I think the future is likely to be Andromeda, not chrome or Android, but who knows when that will be, or what hardware it will be compatible with. So again, if you want Google's latest tablet, that is the Pixel C. It is a fine tablet that will last you until whatever Google is planning comes out.

That isn't to say that Chromebooks are to be avoided, I think they compel your attention as well, I just don't think anyone truly knows where Google's head is at.

You make a good point but with allo I honestly think Google doesn't know where Googles head is at. The half launch of Google home feature wise seems to re enforce that statement.

Not to say I'm smarter than Google though XD

Specus

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
The question you should be asking yourself is not whether or not Android tablets have a future, but whether Google's choices in the future would artificially limit the life expectancy of any device you get today.

The Pixel-C was the best option for me when I bought mine. Most people don't use their computer gear for years and years, so what ever future decisions Google makes, I don't expect those decisions will artificially limit the useful life of my C.

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
The samsung galaxy tab A 10.1 is more stable than the pixel C and has much better wifi...for 199.99 on black Friday..its a good deal

I have both. The Samsung also comes with stylus, so it is sorta kinda like a Note 10.1. The Samsung came with Marshmallow, great screen, very responsive. Pixel C is enrolled in the Nougat Developer program, so it is running Nougat 7.1. Also very responsive. Neither machine has any stutter, battery life great on both, no hangups or app fails on either. Have had both for about 3 weeks.

Your mileage may vary, but I really like both equally. If you are good with Marshmallow, the $199 Black Friday deal is the way to go.

jadedangel143

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Since i posted this, i bought the pixel c and am about to be on 3rd replacement. First one wouldn't power on or charge. Second one started out good but all of a sudden booted into no command and couldn't get it out. i'm going to give pixel c one more chance. If this third one messes up. I'm gonna get a convertable chromebook that can run android apps.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Since i posted this, i bought the pixel c and am about to be on 3rd replacement. First one wouldn't power on or charge. Second one started out good but all of a sudden booted into no command and couldn't get it out. i'm going to give pixel c one more chance. If this third one messes up. I'm gonna get a convertable chromebook that can run android apps.

A convertible chromebook has more of a future anyway.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Huh, that's a shame, and puzzling. I replaced my Nexus 10 with the Pixel C and have had no problems and absolutely no regrets. I love it as I did the Nexus 10. If you get a third one that works--you did purchase it from the Google Store, no?--you will love it too. Best currently available Android tablet, and it should hold you for the same amount of time that the Nexus 10 did. Good luck!