Pixel C Streaming

mistergutsy

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Hey all,
I have a Pixel C and I've noticed that when streaming videos over services like netflix and amazon prime, the quality is a bit blurry and especially objects in the background look pixelated and I'm not sure why? It doesn't do this on my phone (s6 edge) or my MacBook pro. Am I missing something? Thanks

Specus

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Services like these adjust their streaming bitrates according to the bandwidth available to them. If you are not getting good throughput on your WiFi, the streaming bitrate will go down, causing the picture to be more "blurry" and "pixelated" (i.e. the compressing artifacts will become more prominent).

I watch Netflix frequently on my Pixel C and I get good quality.

mistergutsy

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I get that, but I get great quality on the same videos with my other devices on the same wifi network. Is the signal/speed on the pixel c somehow not as strong, thus creating the artifacts?

mistergutsy

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Also, I would get it if my wifi speeds were slow but i get around 100 up and down speed tested on the pixel. When I stream movies via plex I get great quality and there are no artifacts

Specus

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Could it be IPv6 related? I know that Netflix supports IPv6 on the Pixel C and will use that for streaming if it is available. I get good quality on Netflix at home using IPv4 with only 25-30Mbps up and down. I haven't tried Amazon.