Anyone interested in a Slate?

Joe Mags

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm really interested in this. I would still have preferred an 8.5" Nexus 7 successor but I was also looking at chrome books too. Price is steep when thought of as a tablet but seems reasonable when you think of it as a laptop. I think the keyboard should be included at least with the higher spec'd more expensive models. My OG Pixel XL will be paid off next month and I may just order this.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
Anyone thinking of getting one?
Sure, but I'm not sad that the Slate was only promised to arrive "later this year." First things first, I've got a 2014 iPad that is still reasonably healthy, even if it does get annoyingly slow at times, even for web surfing. But more to the point, I want to see what happens to tablet mode on the Pixelbook in the next few months before I'm ready to plonk down a significant amount of change for a chrome tablet.

It'd be especially nice if the devs could get Linux apps to work well in tablet mode, get those apps access to the virtual keyboard in tablet mode or maybe make some headway on the sound and gpu acceleration problems they're having with Crostini. Or it would be nice to hear that the rumored Alt/OS idea about dual-booting Windows has become a reality and that it will debut on the Slate (or at least some versions of the Slate). For now, tablet mode looks nice on the Pixelbook, but it's still limited to consumption wa-a-a-a-ay over production.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
No, I was hoping for a new Pixelbook with fingerprint sensor and smaller bezels...At 2.7LBs(Tablet and Keyboard) vs Pixelbook 2.4Lbs it just seems too heavy. I like permanent clamshells. It seems flimsy with just a magnet connection for my uses. That is just my opinion, I like laptops.

I'll keep my eye out for a Pixelbook sale.

Oct 12, 2018
Visit site
Anyone thinking of getting one? The Celeron may not be that bad for most people.

Question. If you use Google Drive, Google Photos, essentially anything cloud based for storage, will the 8gb ram 64 storage be sufficient for most people? I am guessing that if you aren't storing all of your stuff on the device itself, the 64 gb will work out? Am I wrong here??

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This should not be too dissimilar from a Chromebook, so your thinking is correct.
Question. If you use Google Drive, Google Photos, essentially anything cloud based for storage, will the 8gb ram 64 storage be sufficient for most people? I am guessing that if you aren't storing all of your stuff on the device itself, the 64 gb will work out? Am I wrong here??

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I am incredibly interested in the Slate. I have an aging HP Chromebook that's finally (after 5 years) out of support. The HP still works, but I committed to a newer Chromebook as I've enjoyed my current one so much.

Tbh, at first the Slate didn't pop into my head as a replacement device, even while I was watching the event live. For whatever reason, the cobwebs cleared out of my head and watched the presentation again. This device is PERFECT for me. I would primarily run it in desktop mode, but with the flexibility to seamlessly turn into a tablet as well AND it's Made By Google. Sign me up!

Little bit pricier than what I would spend, but really I think the value is there for this device. At least it is for me.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am incredibly interested in the Slate. I have an aging HP Chromebook that's finally (after 5 years) out of support. The HP still works, but I committed to a newer Chromebook as I've enjoyed my current one so much.

Tbh, at first the Slate didn't pop into my head as a replacement device, even while I was watching the event live. For whatever reason, the cobwebs cleared out of my head and watched the presentation again. This device is PERFECT for me. I would primarily run it in desktop mode, but with the flexibility to seamlessly turn into a tablet as well AND it's Made By Google. Sign me up!

Little bit pricier than what I would spend, but really I think the value is there for this device. At least it is for me.
The Slate is honestly not a device for me, partially due to I already upgraded my Chromebook earlier this summer. That being said, I would like to know your thoughts if and when you get a hold of one.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can honestly see price being a hurdle for most people. What they start at is a little high. I'm definitely not saying they aren't worth it, but that I can understand the hesitation.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I can honestly see price being a hurdle for most people. What they start at is a little high. I'm definitely not saying they aren't worth it, but that I can understand the hesitation.

Sure, I was the same initially. Pricing it against a Surface Go, plus keyboard and pen, I feel it's competitive. Looking at some other factors like having USB C, it being a dual capacity device with Chrome OS, it was making more sense for me.

Again, I'll primarily run in as a traditional Chromebook most of the time; but having that flexibility and capability sold me. If my HP wasn't out of support, I don't know that it would be as high on my shopping list.

I'll be looking forward to the formal release and all reviews, as well as any possible deals (perhaps like a Black Friday), before I pull the trigger that's for sure.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm interested, but not out of the gate. The price is just too high. I'll wait a couple years for a better deal on a used Slate. I've got a Pixel C that is working well at the moment and an aging desktop (most of its components go back 10 years) that's holding up. I figure they'll both need to be replaced in the next couple years, and then I can do both with a Slate.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
My laptop recently crapped out (2011 MacBook Pro), so I'm certainly in the market for a new laptop, leaning for a 2 in 1. The Slate is interesting enough to consider it compared to the Pixelbook that I'm also looking at. If you gave the Slate the Brydge keyboard (https://www.brydge.com/pages/gtype-keyboard-for-google-pixel-slate), which I like over Google's version IMO, it makes my decision between the two so much harder.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
My laptop recently crapped out (2011 MacBook Pro), so I'm certainly in the market for a new laptop, leaning for a 2 in 1. The Slate is interesting enough to consider it compared to the Pixelbook that I'm also looking at. If you gave the Slate the Brydge keyboard (https://www.brydge.com/pages/gtype-keyboard-for-google-pixel-slate), which I like over Google's version IMO, it makes my decision between the two so much harder.

Interesting Keyboard. Definitely keeping an eye on that. More traditional style set up with that one.

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone thinking of getting one? The Celeron may not be that bad for most people.
I WAS thinking of getting one until I learned that the model of the Pixel Slate with the same specs as the current Pixelbook has an MSRP that is $200 higher than the Pixelbook (when factoring in the optional keyboard).

I'm having a blast with the Pixelbook and so no rush to replace it. But I WOULD be willing to pay serious money for a version of the Pixelbook that had a Yoga Book-like Halo keyboard.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Asus flip m3 processor still running strong.

I'd like for chromeos to develop a little more before I drop serious cash on a pixelbook. I will probably wait two more years then get the latest pixelbook.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely interested but after the Pixel 3 XL purchase it would be a stretch on funds. Hopefully I win the lottery lol.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a Asus flip m3 processor still running strong.

I'd like for chromeos to develop a little more before I drop serious cash on a pixelbook. I will probably wait two more years then get the latest pixelbook.

I am not so sure there will be a new Pixelbook, the Pixel slate might be the replacement...

WillysJeepMan

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am not so sure there will be a new Pixelbook, the Pixel slate might be the replacement...
I think it is a safe bet that there WILL be a new Pixelbook in 2019. The Pixel Slate is going to be for a primarily tablet experience for Chrome OS, whereas the Pixelbook will be for a primarily notebook experience.

With the growing support for Linux apps in Chrome OS, the Pixelbook form-factor becomes even more attractive to those who are looking for a device to develop code on. Having just the Pixel Slate would make the optional keyboard a requirement and not as desirable as the Pixelbook for development purposes.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I think it is a safe bet that there WILL be a new Pixelbook in 2019. The Pixel Slate is going to be for a primarily tablet experience for Chrome OS, whereas the Pixelbook will be for a primarily notebook experience.

With the growing support for Linux apps in Chrome OS, the Pixelbook form-factor becomes even more attractive to those who are looking for a device to develop code on. Having just the Pixel Slate would make the optional keyboard a requirement and not as desirable as the Pixelbook for development purposes.

I'm with Chex on this. I believe Google wants to combine the Pixelbook and (some) tablet functionality. The Slate appears to me to be 75% Pixelbook and 25% tablet. High quality pure tablets seem to be going away in the Android world. IMO, the Slate is a Pixelbook with some tablet features. Of course, a keyboard then becomes a requirement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay