First week with the Pixel Slate

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
First of all, I'm a pixelbook user. I love the PB in fuctionality. But I also use Surface devices for work, and I like the that form factor. So, when the slate came out, I debated and debated and finally pulled the trigger at the start of the week. I've had 5 days with the Slate.

Performance wise I know the tests show they are fairly equal. Both are smooth. Both work with BT mouse, pixel pen and the finger fairly well.

Whereas the Pixelbook had that awkward ( to me) feel when moving to tablet mode, the Slate has a different awkward feel when rolling back the keyboard. This is similar to the Surface devices and iPad Pro with attached keyboards.

Apps all work well. My problem seemed to be more personal in that I was primarily a Windows guys and just needed to put some time in and learn the Chrome way. Once I did that, Chrome OS seems to work fine. Though I do not consider myself any more than a novice in Chrome OS, I get around well, know where to look, know how to perform the basic functions. This contributes to the overall feeling of satisfaction.

I own the new iPad Pro with keyboard, several surface devices, a pixelbook and now the slate. In watching/reading many of the reviews, I've been struck by the take of the reviewer, pro apple, pro windows or pro chrome, when delivering a recommendation. I have many of the same concerns regarding the iPad, the Pixelbook and Slate. None are immune to the touchy feeling thing you get when you try something new. All device work fine. All devices have good points, great points and points you want to stab someone over. Would I recommend the Pixel Slate to my friends and family.....NO.....IF...you have an iPad, or a Surface or a Pixelbook. YES if you want the newest Chrome OS, or are looking for something small but powerful, easy to use, and stylish. I also own a Pixel3xl. The integration between the 2...is very helpful. WiFi down, the Slate switches to mobile data when linked to the pixel.

One tiny thing that I forgot, then came to my senses. I attempted to use the fingerprint to login . And it failed. I was starting to upset when my apple watch announced an update. so I dug my iPhone out of storage and logged in to update the watch, when it struck me.....on my iPhone...or Pixel, from power down, you must enter pin or password. Once past that, the fingerprint or face ID worked. Same for the slate. log in from power down with pin or password. After that fingerprint works fine from sleep. Something so simple to understand but easy to forget. I've since gone back and applied that same logic to other things, and resolved several other issues, especially with smart lock.

Overall , I like this thing....

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Great write-up, thanks for your thoughts! How's the keyboard compared to the Pixelbook's?

Like many people, I work on a single keyboard all the time. So when moving to a different keyboard, recreationally, it feels weird. But it's usable. I won't speculate on long term impact because I don't use it that way. I work on a surface device 8-10 hours a day. I can't integrate the pixel slate into my work because chrome os is not included in our company security at this time. .. Until that happens I will only use the slate keyboard sparingly.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I own the new iPad Pro with keyboard, several surface devices, a pixelbook and now the slate
So with all those devices at your disposal, what do you use the Slate for rather than the iPad or Surface? Or is the Slate mostly just your gateway to Chrome OS?

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
So with all those devices at your disposal, what do you use the Slate for rather than the iPad or Surface? Or is the Slate mostly just your gateway to Chrome OS?

First of all I consider having access to so many devices, a sickness. My kids are grown. My retirement is in the bank. I don't drink or smoke. I buy the newest of the new...like a sickness. I do the same with phones. My last phones were , the Note 8, iPhonex, iphone XS max and the pixel3xl. I've eliminated the samsung devices. And, most likely, I have eliminated the iPhone. I like the interconnectivity between the iPhone, the watch and the iPad...but something strikes me as off this time around with the iPhone.

I have promised myself that as I retire, I will stop doing that. And I did wait 3 whole months before getting the Slate. My surface devices are near end of life. I won't replace them. So I have the new iPad Pro w/keyboard. The Pixelbook, and now the Slate. I retire in 5 months. So...the device I keep will be the one that offers the most flexibility. You already know, the ipad, the pixelbook and slate all are flexible. All are recreational. There are no questions...they all do almost all I want to be able to. iPad is a little better integrated with photos and cameras..but that may just be my lack of experience with Google products. I want to be able to take pic on my Pixel3xl, have it stored online and be able to access anywhere, anytime. I know this is a learning curve...I'm getting there.

The thing I like most about the google stuff is...the integration with search and information, and into my house, with lights and thermostats and music and 'Hey Google'. My wife is even attracted by it. She has a iPhone X and will most likely move to a pixelx when its time.

So, what do I want to do with the slate....who knows!!! If I was using the iphone, I'd just stick with ther the iPad. But I'm not...I do use the apple watch 4. Not synced of course. But....using only the features that connect to wifi, thats ..time, weather, exercise, pay, music, starbucks card, I'm good. I get 3-4 days of battery life on a cool watch. And Micky MOuse talks to me when I tap the face !!

So, I'm feeling it out. Going into retirement I don't need productivity features. I need, cool, funny, relaxing features....at a cost that does not require a loan to afford....

JoFo14

Jan 31, 2019
Visit site
First of all I consider having access to so many devices, a sickness. My kids are grown. My retirement is in the bank. I don't drink or smoke. I buy the newest of the new...like a sickness. I do the same with phones. My last phones were , the Note 8, iPhonex, iphone XS max and the pixel3xl. I've eliminated the samsung devices. And, most likely, I have eliminated the iPhone. I like the interconnectivity between the iPhone, the watch and the iPad...but something strikes me as off this time around with the iPhone.

I have promised myself that as I retire, I will stop doing that. And I did wait 3 whole months before getting the Slate. My surface devices are near end of life. I won't replace them. So I have the new iPad Pro w/keyboard. The Pixelbook, and now the Slate. I retire in 5 months. So...the device I keep will be the one that offers the most flexibility. You already know, the ipad, the pixelbook and slate all are flexible. All are recreational. There are no questions...they all do almost all I want to be able to. iPad is a little better integrated with photos and cameras..but that may just be my lack of experience with Google products. I want to be able to take pic on my Pixel3xl, have it stored online and be able to access anywhere, anytime. I know this is a learning curve...I'm getting there.

The thing I like most about the google stuff is...the integration with search and information, and into my house, with lights and thermostats and music and 'Hey Google'. My wife is even attracted by it. She has a iPhone X and will most likely move to a pixelx when its time.

So, what do I want to do with the slate....who knows!!! If I was using the iphone, I'd just stick with ther the iPad. But I'm not...I do use the apple watch 4. Not synced of course. But....using only the features that connect to wifi, thats ..time, weather, exercise, pay, music, starbucks card, I'm good. I get 3-4 days of battery life on a cool watch. And Micky MOuse talks to me when I tap the face !!

So, I'm feeling it out. Going into retirement I don't need productivity features. I need, cool, funny, relaxing features....at a cost that does not require a loan to afford....

Just starting my first week with the Slate. Switching from an ipad pro. I use a Pixel2XL, moved away from an iphone. You will have to unlearn a few apple things before you get comfortable with the google platform. I think it is faster and more seamless than apple. Time will tell on the slate. 2 days in and it is great. Went with the Brydge keyboard after reading too many bad reviews about the slate kb.

alodar101

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I was called on in a meeting to give a small unprepared talk about the surface, iPad, and Chromebooks. The funny thing.. Most of the people agreed, for work based scenarios, they would only choose the surface. So do I. The recreational use was all over the place. The most discussed feature was the auto connect to the pixel hotspot. I admit this is cool.

It was very interesting to see how others thought about the slate when using it as a work device is not an option. In those cases, the iPad was always thought of first.. Even though those same people have Android phones.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your write-up. It was super helpful. This morning I placed the order for the Pixel Slate after seeing the reviews on YouTube even though I was apprehensive about it. I have the Ipad Pro, MacBook Pro and Pixel book myself. I wanted the Surface but really don't want Windows.

I also recently switched back to Android. I had the Iphone X and XS Max before getting the OP7. Before that I had the Note 8 and S8+. This time around I did not want Samsung. At any rate, its always nice to see reviews from people who have a similar background that I can identify with.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your write-up. It was super helpful. This morning I placed the order for the Pixel Slate after seeing the reviews on YouTube even though I was apprehensive about it. I have the Ipad Pro, MacBook Pro and Pixel book myself. I wanted the Surface but really don't want Windows.

I also recently switched back to Android. I had the Iphone X and XS Max before getting the OP7. Before that I had the Note 8 and S8+. This time around I did not want Samsung. At any rate, its always nice to see reviews from people who have a similar background that I can identify with.

Funny, I'm looking at moving from Apple back to Android (after about 3.5 years) and two of the devices I'm looking at are the OP7Pro and the Slate. I was always an Android guy for the longest time, but since the end of 2015 I've been primarily with Apple. It's nice to see that others can move to these devices and not lose nearly as much sleep as I have over it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy