Posting this for others who might be interested - looks like a steal of a deal from Best Buy for Black Friday:

Black Friday-bb-bf-slate.png

Basically gets you the Slate starting from $450 with a free keyboard and pen.

From what I've read, nearly all of the issues that plagued the Slate initially (other than the now-abandoned Celeron model's general weakness) have been resolved - are there any glaringly notable things one should still be aware of?

I would be more inclined towards the 128GB i5 than the 64GB M3 with only the 25% price bump at the normal prices of $1,000 vs $800, but at what would be a 45% bump at the BF pricing, is there any real reason to go to the i5 if the storage isn't a huge concern? My primary use would be general browsing, media playback, some word processing/spreadsheet duty, and Stadia, though I would also like to be able to functionally play some installed games like Call of Duty Mobile.

By comparison to the new Pixelbook Go, this ends up being a higher-resolution, more powerful, more flexible, better-displayed, and Pen-compatible solution for a lower price in the M3 and i5 configurations, so I don't see that as a competitive option (unless I'm missing something).
    11-08-2019 11:38 AM
    Argh, don't tempt me!

I think I'll still hold out for possibly deeper discounts on the i5 model. I have an Acer Chromebook Tab 10, which is actually quite decent (especially for the $180 I paid for it in the Acer Recertified store), but of course it's not superfast. If I were to get a Slate, I'd want it to be markedly faster than what I'm using now, and I'd be concerned the m3 won't be a huge jump.
    11-08-2019 01:15 PM
    Argh, don't tempt me!

I think I'll still hold out for possibly deeper discounts on the i5 model. I have an Acer Chromebook Tab 10, which is actually quite decent (especially for the $180 I paid for it in the Acer Recertified store), but of course it's not superfast. If I were to get a Slate, I'd want it to be markedly faster than what I'm using now, and I'd be concerned the m3 won't be a huge jump.
    i5 would be $650 with keyboard and pen. Not as great a bang for the buck, but still a great value at 50% off the normal $1,300 tag (if you were to get both accessories).

There's an instance of a recently completed swappa sale of an i5 "mint" with keyboard, pen, and case for $515 shipped, which is probably close to $200 less than the BB deal would be depending on your taxes, so might keep an eye out there if you don't mind a used product, and forgoing (at least most of) the warranty coverage period.
    11-08-2019 04:19 PM
    I could probably go for $650 with keyboard included, although I'd probably prefer the Brydge keyboard -- not a big fan of the folio keyboard cover, from playing with it a little in Best Buy.
    11-08-2019 04:38 PM