Files App and Drive Folder

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
So I have a question,

I am copying about 100GB of stuff from my SD card attached to my Pixelbook Go and want to back it up by copying and pasting it in the Drive folder in the files app. I do not have "available offline" checked but noticed the storage on my pixelbook go is now used up with very little left. It is taking forever to upload to my drive but am wondering if when it is done uploading, will the memory used on the Pixelbook Go be freed up or will it remain used. Will I have to do a powerwash to regain the memory? I looked everywhere on the internet but could not find an answer. Anyone know????

Thank you in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you clarify what you're clicking to look at your available onboard storage? Are you clicking on My Files in the left column, then clicking the menu button at the upper right to see your available storage? Or are you clicking on Google Drive in the left column?

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Can you clarify what you're clicking to look at your available onboard storage? Are you clicking on My Files in the left column, then clicking the menu button at the upper right to see your available storage? Or are you clicking on Google Drive in the left column?

I was checking both and also checking in settings, device then storage. It showed the same under that as well.

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't now. I stopped the upload by deleting the copied files to the files drive folder and deleted what I had already uploaded to drive. When I did that it still showed a large amount of memory used up and it was still trying to sync the files. It seemed like there was a glitch that didn't stop or go away even after a restart of the chromebook. I then power washed the Chromebook to stop it and clear everything out. The memory is now back to normal. I just wanted to know why so much memory was taken up from the copying of files in the file app to the Google drive folder. I just assumed it would take it from the memory card I was copying from and uploading it to drive directly from there but it seemed not to.

Curious, could it have been a temporary file?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's possible. You might want to try dragging and dropping files directly to the Google Drive website, rather than going through the Chrome OS file manager app.