01-18-2017 11:53 AM
31 12
tools
    I heard the game eats data up like crazy and I'm on a rather limited plan, can I play on just WiFi?
    07-10-2016 02:48 PM
    yes you can. I play on my tablet with wifi.
    The only problem is that it limits your range unless you have a mobile hotspot, like your phone.
    07-10-2016 03:14 PM
    From googling around and from friends telling me how much data they used. Its said that it uses 2-8 mb/hour. So it isn't a lot. Of course I can't say for sure because I'm in Canada waiting for it to release here -.-
    07-10-2016 04:12 PM
    I've used a grand total of 100MB over the past four days of heavy use. So no, I don't think it eats up data like crazy.

Going wi-fi only will severely limit your ability to get the most out of this game. Unless your town is blanketed with free hotspots.
    07-11-2016 12:14 PM
    I had my kids tether their wifi only motos off my TMO unlimited data planned 6P for a day... so my usage stats are way out of whack. I don't think it is all that excessive. But if you play a ton and have a really low data plan, 1G or so... you might run into issues.

So get a friend with a ULDP and sponge off him for a bit.
    07-11-2016 12:29 PM
    At the moment I'm stuck waiting for a new sim card (went with a free Google Voice number to cut costs a while back) so I've only been able to play on Wi-Fi. It can be done, but you are somewhat limited by your range. I went to my local coffee house and their Wi-Fi was down so I haven't been able to hit any Pokestops or gyms yet to refill my Pokeballs. I was able to catch a few using WalMart's Wi-Fi and I managed to get to lvl 5 2/3 just with the Pokemon that spawned around my house.
    07-11-2016 01:45 PM
    ... I managed to get to lvl 5 2/3 just with the Pokemon that spawned around my house.
    Lucky! My house is in a pokedesert. Work, however, is pretty good though there are no pokestops nearby.
    07-12-2016 04:23 PM
    I have a Samsung galaxy S5 but have no plan with a phone company. However, I do have wifi in all parts of my buidling, so why am I not able to play Pokémon go? I turned on my GPS under locations on my phone, but it keeps saying "GPS signal not found". And instead of walking, my character just spins around in circles. Please help if anyone knows how!! I've tried this game on 4 separate devices now
    07-14-2016 12:59 AM
    I have a Samsung galaxy S5 but have no plan with a phone company. However, I do have wifi in all parts of my buidling, so why am I not able to play Pokémon go? I turned on my GPS under locations on my phone, but it keeps saying "GPS signal not found". And instead of walking, my character just spins around in circles. Please help if anyone knows how!! I've tried this game on 4 separate devices now
    Go outside because GPS signal doesnt allways come inside and for all of you that can't walk... don't walk a few centimetres walk 50m you'll see that you will move
    07-14-2016 01:37 AM
    I heard the game eats data up like crazy and I'm on a rather limited plan, can I play on just WiFi?
    I am level 7 [500XP from 8] and my app has only used maybe 50mb since Sunday. I've primarily walked either near my place, my parents' place or work.

I'm not sure if this is actually true but some dude on Reddit said that if you have the base map downloaded in Google Maps then it'll use less data . Apparently an engineer from Google has debunked this but lots of people claim it works.
    07-14-2016 09:07 AM
    You can play but u wont really get em all so better use mobile data and the game is not really a that big data user !!! if u have more questions be sure to see my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/DenijalSukara I will be posting dealy videos about pokemon go and other games !!!
    07-14-2016 05:06 PM
    The game doesn't use a lot of data. Compared to facebook and instagram, it barely uses any data.

WIFI-only limits where you can go, limiting the amount of pokemon you can get. Unless you have a mobile hotspot, you won't get the same fun experience as someone on a data plan.
    07-15-2016 03:49 PM
    From googling around and from friends telling me how much data they used. Its said that it uses 2-8 mb/hour. So it isn't a lot. Of course I can't say for sure because I'm in Canada waiting for it to release here -.-
    You can get it off an apk
    07-15-2016 05:22 PM
    I have version 0.29.0 and 0.29.2 apk if you cant find them online
    07-16-2016 07:51 AM
    only used up 0.06gb after about 7 hours
    07-16-2016 10:46 AM
    Had same problem was able to fix it by downloading two apps ActiveGPS- GPS booster and GPS Status & Toolbox and I opened them along with google maps and started pokemon go and it worked for me.
    07-16-2016 10:51 AM
    You typically will not get GPS service indoors. Make sure your advanced location services are turned on, particularly the use of Wi-Fi/Bluetooth to improve location information. Not it still won't necessarily let you move through the entire building, but you should get some movement.

Your best bet is to glom off friends who can turn their phones into Wi-Fi hotspots. Offer to buy one an external battery in return, since you will be draining his/hers quicker.
    07-19-2016 08:29 AM
    It depends on the WiFi. I was connected to one hotspot and the game kept failing to log in. I turned off WiFi and it started working again.
    07-19-2016 09:40 AM
    Your best bet is to glom off friends who can turn their phones into Wi-Fi hotspots. Offer to buy one an external battery in return, since you will be draining his/hers quicker.
    This....

My kids have some older Motos that I picked up on Black Friday deals... cheap phones, $10 or so, that would be on Verizon's pre-paid network. But I never activated them so they are pretty much WiFi only devices. We've played Go a few times and I do just this; flip on my hotspot and have them piggyback off that.
    07-19-2016 02:39 PM
    I just downloaded it today and played for 3 hours straight and used 15 mb of data on sprint on my s6 edge. I have 4 gigs of data so it didn't even make a dent, so I think you should be fine using it with data as wifi wouldn't work as well.
    07-19-2016 11:34 PM
    I has a problem with my mobile internet and I couldnt use pokémon go outside my place, i must say it is not funny at all!! Get a good mobile internet and have fun walking on street! Plus if you want to hatch eggs be ready to walk hahha
    07-21-2016 08:55 AM
    i'm at US right now and i only used Wi-fi in public places to play Pokemon because roaming internet is too expensive ($15 / MB). I'm at level 5 already
    07-21-2016 01:08 PM
    yes you can. I play on my tablet with wifi.
    The only problem is that it limits your range unless you have a mobile hotspot, like your phone.
    07-21-2016 02:09 PM
    At the moment I'm stuck waiting for a new sim card (went with a free Google Voice number to cut costs a while back) so I've only been able to play on Wi-Fi. It can be done, but you are somewhat limited by your range. I went to my local coffee house and their Wi-Fi was down so I haven't been able to hit any Pokestops or gyms yet to refill my Pokeballs. I was able to catch a few using WalMart's Wi-Fi and I managed to get to lvl 5 2/3 just with the Pokemon that spawned around my house.
    Just read that when you throw a pokeball if it doesn't catch them and your reflexes are fast enough you can tap it before it disappears to recollect it.. I'm playing off WiFi myself and have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to make it to a pokestop but hoping that recollecting will help...
    07-22-2016 10:19 PM
    Not if you're me.
    08-02-2016 01:07 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD