Pokemon Go - Can someone explain the nearby menu?

A

AC Question

Sorry if this is a basic question, but how does the nearby menu and footprint indicators work? It seems to always be changing and I'm not sure why it changes.

AdamEndgame

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
It's really wonky, and IMO not at all useful, but ideally, if there is 1 footprint then you are almost on top of the pokemon, 2 it's further away, approx. a 1/2 block, and 3 is ridiculously far...try walking in a direction and you'll see the footsteps(hopefully) go from 3 to 2, that means you are getting closer, if it gets back to three then keep adjusting your route to hopefully get closer...in my experience they are too hard to find and it takes to long to get there, they usually disappear even as I am getting down from 3 to 1 footstep.

Also, in the 'nearby pokemon' menu on the map screen, you can select 1 of the pokemon and it will be the only one in the little guide bar, which should help you to see if the footsteps are getting further or closer

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I find the tracker pretty useless myself. I had a Pikachu on the tracker with 3 footprints, and I walked all over hell's creation trying to find a direction that would see a drop to 2 footprints so I knew I was on the right track. I gave up when it was obvious that the tracking system was useless.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
3 footprints: Don't hold your breath
2 footprints: Meh
1 footprint: Rustling in the bushes
0 footprints: LOOK OUT! IT'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

tlaswell

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
A reporter I read had it figured out for the 3 step figures. It runs left to right top down. Closest is top left top right is closer than 2nd row left.
Walk one direction if the target gets closer keep going otherwise turn around. If it stops and starts going down go back a bit then turn left or right and repeat.
He said that if they are on the chart they should be within a block or two.

Posted via the Android Central App