Ingress VS Pokeman Go

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I really don't get it. It took a Children's Stupid japanamae character to get this game to take off?
Grown adults would rather run around like idiots looking for some fluffy thing or a peekacho?
I work over nights, and while I was outside on break at 3:15am!!!! I see 3 groups of people wandering
the streets playing. Earlier when I got to work at 11pm, everywhere I looked there were adults out playing
this stupidity. Not watching where they are going, walking into traffic, and stopping dead in the middle of the
sidewalks blocking people.
I played ingress for quite some time, got to level 8 and got bored. I just don't get how this children's game
took off so well with adults?
Is there anyone that agrees with me or am I about to get slaughtered?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I heard about Ingress, but no one around me was playing. I just didn't see the appeal to it by myself.

PokemonGo, the primary reason I am plying it is because it gives me something to do with the kids that we can all relate too and have fun doing, OUTSIDE. :D

I don't think you deserve to be "slaughtered" for your point of view. I get that it can seem to be stupid, but you have to understand that Pokemon is something that is trans-generational. My wife and I played Pokemon as kids, our kids grew up with Pokemon and it's something we can all get into together.

The only reason I keep it up and running when I am on the bus and traveling between the office and home is to stay caught up with the wife and kids. :D

No matter what you have, there are going to be those people that take it a lot father than it should be rational, but hey, it may "thin the herd" a little? :p

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
OK, so what you're saying is you don't understand Pokémon, and if you don't understand it, it must be stupid. And that you do understand ingress, and you're butt hurts because it wasn't more popular?

Great!

Pokémon in general is far deeper than you would imagine.

And yes, if you come into a forum specifically to slag off the thing that forum is about, you deserve to be "slaughtered". There's a word for that, but the mods have told me I can't say it :p

Posted via the Pokémon Central App

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get it. It took a Children's Stupid japanamae character to get this game to take off?
Grown adults would rather run around like idiots looking for some fluffy thing or a peekacho?
I work over nights, and while I was outside on break at 3:15am!!!! I see 3 groups of people wandering
the streets playing. Earlier when I got to work at 11pm, everywhere I looked there were adults out playing
this stupidity. Not watching where they are going, walking into traffic, and stopping dead in the middle of the
sidewalks blocking people.
I played ingress for quite some time, got to level 8 and got bored. I just don't get how this children's game
took off so well with adults?
Is there anyone that agrees with me or am I about to get slaughtered?

Easy. Kids who grew up playing Pokemon on their Game Boy's are now older. Nostalgia wins.

tracypagedotnet

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Tying product "B" into the popularity of preexisting product "A" is the oldest advertising game in the book.
Two characters sword fighting sounds simple....give them light sabers and you'll sell a million copies.
Niantic did the same thing by combining ingress with pokemon.....

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
OK, so what you're saying is you don't understand Pokémon, and if you don't understand it, it must be stupid. And that you do understand ingress, and your butt hurts because it wasn't more popular?

Great!

Pokémon in general is far deeper than you would imagine.

And yes, if you come into a forum specifically to slag off the thing that forum is about, you deserve to be "slaughtered". There's a word for that, but the mods have told me I can't say it :p

That's correct I am an adult, that doesn't keep up with children's japanamae things. I prefer adult activities
I am 39, thankfully I missed out on the japanamae era

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm 32, I'm not as old as you, but I have managed to learn that it's juvenile to try and make people feel bad about the things they enjoy, it's the realm of 13 year old school children.

I've also grown to realise that intentionally mispronouncing relatively common terms in order to try and belittle them is disingenuous and petty.

Last edited by a moderator:

volscian

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
That's correct I am an adult, that doesn't keep up with children's japanamae things. I prefer adult activities

I'm 32, and I play Pokémon Go. Quite a bit really. I'm married, a parent of 2, and work a full time factory job. Those are my adult activities. I love games like Pokémon Go to escape from reality and the drag of every day stresses. I've played games since I was 5, plan to play till I'm 95, and I've played Pokémon since it first came out. I'm thankful I didn't miss out on the Japanamae Era, I think I'd have gone crazy without it.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
mid 30s for me, still play gta5 on my PS3 when i get off work from time to time, watch movies, eat chips, and now play pokemon go. I refuse to grow up and yell at kids to get off my lawn. But luckily im adult enough to still have a full time job, pay my bills on time, and mange to find time to be a responsible adult between the hours of 7am to 4pm when i work. :)
Also keep in mind this must have been a popular game prior to it hitting the play store in the form of Pokemon Go.
Pokemon has been around since the 90s and has seen several different variants pop up. So while the popularity of this is lost on you its not lost on the millions of other people who have kept the game going since its creation several decades ago.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Pokemon has a much bigger audience then Ingress.

Pokemon has the mid-30's age group which grew up playing pokemon and this is one step backwards to the young days of playing this game.

I play it but not religiously, just when I have time. The saying is "keep it simple" applies to this game. You turn it on and you walk around and you see a pokemon and you try to catch it. Once you get high enough, you fight other pokemons. It's simple. This game can be shut off anytime unless you you really want that pokemon. Unlike many games, you need time to play. I play Need for Speed:No Limit and that isn't a simple game, you need to focus on the game and race unlike pokemon where you open it up and go about your business and it alerts you if there is a pokemon nearby.

Between Ingress and Pokemon, you have the 90's kids growing up as the audience which adds a lot of value.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm 32, I'm not as old as you, but I have managed to learn that it's juvenile to try and make people feel bad about the things they enjoy, it's the realm of 13 year old school children.

I've also grown to realise that intentionally mispronouncing relatively common terms in order to try and belittle them is disingenuous and petty.

download.jpeg

I think Nintendo may want to start restricting placing Pokemon in certain areas. This is disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moderator Note: Lets keep the discussion civil please. If there is a problem with a post then please report it so the Mod team can take a look, attempting to resolve it yourself by attacking others is not advisable.

Thanks!

Remember:

2016-07-20.png

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Just because you think it isn't an adult thing doesn't instantly mean everyone agrees or sees it your way. If you don't like Pokemon simply don't play it? I am not playing it since the game doesn't interest me that much.

I am 28 and like Anime .. Always have. Some think of it as childish and some don't. I personally don't care if someone thinks it is childish since I enjoy it and why should I stop enjoying something because of what someone (who most likely I don't know) thinks about me? I don't change my behavior to gain approval from random strangers -- I see no need for that :).

jstaylor62

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've lost 7lbs since I've been playing Pokemon Go. That's even with eating cheeseburgers, pizza and drinking beer at a couple of my favorite Poke Stops. It's a good reason to get out of the house and walk around. I think its pretty cool to see so many normally seditary people outside and being active. I've seen numerous couples pushing baby strollers while they are walking along playing. One was even a twin stroller, so I can only imagine the break they needed from day-to-day baby care. And besides, they didnt have to payout for a babysitter.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 232642

I think Nintendo may want to start restricting placing Pokemon in certain areas. This is disgusting.
Pokemon Go/Nintendo/Niantic aren't "placing" pokemon in funeral homes and other sensitive areas. The game is designed to produce pokemon wherever the player happens to be.

It's not Nintendo being "disgusting". It's the schmoe player who's opening the app and playing a game during a funeral that is disgusting. Has nothing to do with the game designers. It's not like the powers that be at Niantic/Nintendo said "Hey! Let's drop a Squirtle on top of this casket!" In fact, that pokemon isn't actually standing on a casket, even if the casket wasn't there, the pokemon would have appeared in the same location. The person who took that snapshot simply chose to manipulate the angle of the AR to make it appear that way. Blame the person who had the questionable class to intentionally go out of their way to do it.

jstaylor62

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Pokemon Go/Nintendo/Niantic aren't "placing" pokemon in funeral homes and other sensitive areas. The game is designed to produce pokemon wherever the player happens to be.

It's not Nintendo being "disgusting". It's the schmoe player who's opening the app and playing a game during a funeral that is disgusting. Has nothing to do with the game designers. It's not like the powers that be at Niantic/Nintendo said "Hey! Let's drop a Squirtle on top of this casket!" In fact, that pokemon isn't actually standing on a casket, even if the casket wasn't there, the pokemon would have appeared in the same location. The person who took that snapshot simply chose to manipulate the angle of the AR to make it appear that way. Blame the person who had the questionable class to intentionally go out of their way to do it.

Also, someone can select a Pokemon when they see it, then walk somewhere nearby and stage the pic. The Squirtle in this pic could have spawned on the sidewalk blocks away and then carried to this location.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87