Malware danger with Pokemon Go apk files

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
We've been noticing more posts here from people who are trying to sideload the Pokemon Go apk file, either because the Play Store says their device is incompatible, or it hasn't rolled out to their region yet. or they don't have access to the Play Store in the first place. I would advise NOT sideloading the apk, because of the risk of malware. Sites where apk files are found typically do not scan files for malware, and given the mammoth popularity of this game, you can bet that nasty folks everywhere are salivating at the chance to embed malware in these apks. Here's a recent AC article describing just that: Researchers find remote access tool in modified Pokémon Go APK | Android Central

So do yourself a favor, and install it only from the Google Play Store or other legitimate app source. If it hasn't rolled out in your region yet, sit back and wait. And make sure the developer is listed as Niantic, Inc. There have been a few malicious apps that have recently slipped through the Play Store's vetting process that look like the real thing, but aren't--see this article: https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/15/watch-out-for-fraudulent-pokemon-go-apps/

If it's not compatible with your device, then look into replacing your device with one of the many excellent Android devices available now (many of which are very affordable).

:cool:

Last edited:

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
apkpure is legit. i checked their apk date and signature, everything match.

Saying that is easy. I could say the same thing but unless someone knows and trusts me they still shouldn't do it. (Also, I could be mistaken about why you chose your avatar but it appears to be pirate-oriented which is less-than-trust-inspiring.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781