I went to the Pokemon forum and clicked "ask". The URL above does not look like it has anything to do with Pokemon so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but to the best of my knowledge I think I am entering it in the correct forum.

Just curious how Nintendo (or whoever is in charge) decides where Pokemons and Gyms will be. I can't imagine they have people all over the world actually putting these pokemon in certain locations. I am guessing it must somehow be random but I am not sure. Does anyone know?
    07-25-2016 06:38 AM
    I recommend joining as a member so that you can engage directly in that forum, and indeed the others. ☺
    I'll request that this be moved there.
    07-25-2016 06:55 AM
    Niantic is the game developer and they also developed Ingress. A game with similar properties. From what i have seen and read Pokemon uses about 30-50% of Ingress portals. Initially Ingress used public libraries and post offices as portals but over time users submitted portals. So basically what you see now are portals that were initially public libraries or post offices or user submitted ingress portals.
    07-25-2016 10:24 AM