07-15-2014 12:26 PM
1,900 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    Can anyone here name ONE thing that government has done better than private enterprise?

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    That's what has been pounded into your head. What you're actually saying is, if you went from your current private enterprise job to a government job, you'd become an inefficient worker.. Then if you went back to private enterprise, fairy dust would be sprinkled on your head and you'd be an effective worker. Amazing isn't it?
    rexxman, msndrstood and jdpj2008 like this.
    11-04-2013 01:31 AM
    Usually $0 to $1,500, depending on credit. They run those specials several times a year. I spend a lot of time at the Dodge dealership here because I have a couple of friends in sales that love to shoe off the new jeeps and challengers, but I run numbers on cars a lot, always looking for a solid deal.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    I was in the car business for 32 years. $100 lease payments are not going to happen with even $1500 down.
    11-04-2013 06:02 AM
    That's what has been pounded into your head. What you're actually saying is, if you went from your current private enterprise job to a government job, you'd become an inefficient worker.. Then if you went back to private enterprise, fairy dust would be sprinkled on your head and you'd be an effective worker. Amazing isn't it?
    Guess what. I had a private enterprise job for 17 years in a major telecom company and still would've been there if I didn't take an early retirement.

When I moved down south a few years ago, I got a job doing a similar line of work, BUT as A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE.

Do you still think I'm brainwashed?
    Or maybe I actually know what I'm talking about.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    11-04-2013 06:07 AM
    I was in the car business for 32 years. $100 lease payments are not going to happen with even $1500 down.
    The only car I've ever leased was $99 monthly, $99 initial payment + trade, no extra fees ever happened on a 36 month lease. Do offers vary so much by region? Because the very little TV I watch, I also see commercials for those offers still, constantly. But in this area those offers seem endless. It's usually a yo-yo between that and 0% APR offers.

The Toyota dealership today has several in the $100-$200 range with $1500-$2000 due at signing, including 1st month. Local Nissan isn't running specials today. Dodge has no specials today, but they run $99 on the Dart and Avenger several times per year and $199 on the Charger 2-3 times per year. A standard loan on the Charger is around $420 per month even with 0% interest.

The only trick to shopping these things for a valid value comparison is looking for a special on the monthly, while they're waiving the security deposit, read sign and drive offers carefully to see if they're legit or ballooned and to know exactly what your trade is worth for balancing the rest down to what you want your range to be. Current owners can often get a lot of fees waived by sticking with the same dealership offsetting the upfront costs of consecutive purchases.
    11-04-2013 06:54 AM
    Guess what. I had a private enterprise job for 17 years in a major telecom company and still would've been there if I didn't take an early retirement.

When I moved down south a few years ago, I got a job doing a similar line of work, BUT as A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE.

Do you still think I'm brainwashed?
    Or maybe I actually know what I'm talking about.

So if you are with the government now, tell me how ineffective it is, and why?. How ineffective you are now and why? Have you ever brought up how to make your job more effective? or do you just think it's useless because it's a government job and they can't do anything right?
    11-04-2013 10:00 AM
    So if you are with the government now, tell me how ineffective it is, and why?. How ineffective you are now and why? Have you ever brought up how to make your job more effective? or do you just think it's useless because it's a government job and they can't do anything right?
    Ok, just off the top of my balding head -

For instance,
    At my job, we've been needing a couple more bucket trucks. A couple months ago, we received one of the trucks we first put out paperwork for 16 MONTHS prior (read MONTHS, not days, not even weeks). That's almost a year and half to receive a desperately needed bucket truck.

Also, our bucket trucks need to be outfitted with all kinds of strobe lights because we block traffic (best part of the job, if you ask me :evil: ).

We are only allowed to purchase equipment and supplies from the lowest bidder, NO MATTER HOW SUB-PAR it might be and NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES.

We weren't even allowed to order the strobe lights for that truck until it arrived. Then we had to have half the emergency strobe light shops in Atlanta come to our location to walk around the truck and give us a quote. By the time all was said, done and installed, it was another couple months.

At my old job back in N.Y., we had new trucks come in all the time and rotated out and sold older trucks.

That's just one example.

11-04-2013 05:07 PM
    1. Have you ever brought up how to make your job more effective?

2. ...or do you just think it's useless because it's a government job and they can't do anything right?
    1. Yes, ALL the time, to deaf ears.
    My boss (and his bosses) are always saying that their door is always open, but whenever you plead with them about how things can be made MUCH more efficient, their words are always to the tune of either:

"We'll certainly take that into consideration."
    or
    "This isn't New York." (LOL! Really?!??)

And then guess what... not a thing changes.

2. Yes.

11-04-2013 05:13 PM
    Ok, just off the top of my balding head -

For instance,
    At my job, we've been needing a couple more bucket trucks. A couple months ago, we received one of the trucks we first put out paperwork for 16 MONTHS prior (read MONTHS, not days, not even weeks). That's almost a year and half to receive a desperately needed bucket truck.

Also, our bucket trucks need to be outfitted with all kinds of strobe lights because we block traffic (best part of the job, if you ask me :evil: ).

We are only allowed to purchase equipment and supplies from the lowest bidder, NO MATTER HOW SUB-PAR it might be and NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES.

We weren't even allowed to order the strobe lights for that truck until it arrived. Then we had to have half the emergency strobe light shops in Atlanta come to our location to walk around the truck and give us a quote. By the time all was said, done and installed, it was another couple months.

At my old job back in N.Y., we had new trucks come in all the time and rotated out and sold older trucks.

That's just one example.
    1. Yes, ALL the time, to deaf ears.
    My boss (and his bosses) are always saying that their door is always open, but whenever you plead with them about how things can be made MUCH more efficient, their words are always to the tune of either:

"We'll certainly take that into consideration."
    or
    "This isn't New York." (LOL!)

And then guess what... not a thing changes.

2. Yes.
    Sorry, but you didn't convince me. You seem a little impatient and want the government to spend, spend, spend, when they are operating on a budget, just like any privately owned company does.
    11-04-2013 05:34 PM
    Sorry, but you didn't convince me. You seem a little impatient and want the government to spend, spend, spend, when they are operating on a budget, just like any privately owned company does.
    How exactly do i seem to want the gov't to spend spend spend?

You do know that the lowest bidder usually provides the crappiest products, which need to frequently be replaced, thus causing massive monetary waste, right?

cdmjlt369 likes this.
    11-04-2013 05:38 PM
    You just cited one major reason the government shouldn't be in charge of much of anything, especially health care. The last thing I want is for the government to be worrying about spending, spending,spending when it comes to healthcare. Taking months to approve a request for vehicle is one thing, bad business if you need a life or death procedure and you have to deal with all of that bureaucratic crap then what are going to do? Who's to say it will be any better with people? I prefer to leave my welfare to me. Like the saying goes, the only person you can trust to have your best interest at heart is you.

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    gamefreak715 likes this.
    11-04-2013 05:47 PM

You do know that the lowest bidder usually provides the crappiest products, which need to frequently be replaced, thus causing massive monetary waste, right?

Yeah, I want the best value that fits the budget and keeps everything moving safely and efficiently. I have 40 truck drivers that all have different stuff they want/need, but safety comes way ahead of everything else and can't be delayed.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    11-04-2013 05:57 PM

I have worked for electrical contractors my whole life. I've never worked for one that had ideal or enough drills, benders, lifts or supplies, or bucket trucks in your case... etc...What you do is you adapt, you improvise and you get the job done. If I stood around whining about it, I'd get laid off by the end of the day.

I know how government bids work. They set up standards, specifications and a warranty that has to be met. If they know a certain product doesn't meet their standard/specification/warranty, they can reject it, even if it's the lowest bid. Even after a bid is won, the winning bidder can point out issues with a product that was specified and the government agency may change product specified. I've done that on private and government jobs.
    11-04-2013 06:06 PM
    You just cited one major reason the government shouldn't be in charge of much of anything, especially health care. The last thing I want is for the government to be worrying about spending, spending,spending when it comes to healthcare. Taking months to approve a request for vehicle is one thing, bad business if you need a life or death procedure and you have to deal with all of that bureaucratic crap then what are going to do? Who's to say it will be any better with people? I prefer to leave my welfare to me. Like the saying goes, the only person you can trust to have your best interest at heart is you.

They'll have death panels and blue end of life pills set up to save cost. I heard it on the Internet so it must be true.
    11-04-2013 06:13 PM
    They'll have death panels and blue end of life pills set up to save cost. I heard it on the Internet so it must be true.
    They won't have death panels and blue end-of-life pills set up to save cost.

I heard it on the Internet, so it must be true.

11-04-2013 10:34 PM
    You need to take a look at the ruling. Scotus said the ACA was not unconstitutional so long as the mandate was enforced as a tax. The ACA wasn't passed properly as a tax bill, tax bills are to be started in the house. The ACA is constitutional, the mandate is not.
    I thought the ACA started out as HR 3590, which is a bill started in the House of Representatives. Does this fulfill the constitutional requirements for the mandate? If it doesn't, wouldn't the Supreme Court simply rule against it on procedural grounds?
    msndrstood likes this.
    11-05-2013 12:13 AM
    "If you like your present insurance plan, you can keep it, PERIOD".
    "If you like your present doctor, you can keep him, PERIOD".

Regardless of party preference, anyone should see these statements as pure bald-faced lies, whether intentionally told or not. They are still lies.
    Then he comes to the podium yesterday, and says this was true only if your plan was in effect by March, 2010 and has not changed. What part of "PERIOD" does he not understand? The election may have gone different if people had been told the truth during the campaigns. That's probably why the lie was told. According to "war room" documents, they knew about this as it was being told, and decided not to change from lies to the truth. What a loser.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    11-05-2013 12:19 PM
    "If you like your present insurance plan, you can keep it, PERIOD".
    "If you like your present doctor, you can keep him, PERIOD".

Regardless of party preference, anyone should see these statements as pure bald-faced lies, whether intentionally told or not. They are still lies.
    Then he comes to the podium yesterday, and says this was true only if your plan was in effect by March, 2010 and has not changed. What part of "PERIOD" does he not understand? The election may have gone different if people had been told the truth during the campaigns. That's probably why the lie was told. According to "war room" documents, they knew about this as it was being told, and decided not to change from lies to the truth. What a loser.
    Guess what? I don't, then again I am not out trying to destroy the man with every breath I take. In fact, I wish the ACA went a step further and was totally under a not for profit single payer system. It was obviously a misstatement, not a "pure bald faced lie". Insurance policies need to follow standards now. People at McDonalds paying $128 a month for $10K of insurance doesn't even come close to resembling a reasonable health insurance program. http://forums.androidcentral.com/pol...ml#post3196475 They are much better off with full coverage through the ACA at a lower cost. I also believe that many policies that are getting cancelled could have simply been modified to meet the new ACA standard.
    gamefreak715 likes this.
    11-05-2013 02:42 PM
    Guess what? I don't, then again I am not out trying to destroy the man with every breath I take. In fact, I wish the ACA went a step further and was totally under a not for profit single payer system. It was obviously a misstatement, not a "pure bald faced lie". Insurance policies need to follow standards now. People at McDonalds paying $128 a month for $10K of insurance doesn't even come close to resembling a reasonable health insurance program. http://forums.androidcentral.com/pol...ml#post3196475 They are much better off with full coverage through the ACA at a lower cost. I also believe that many policies that are getting cancelled could have simply been modified to meet the new ACA standard.
    Who are you or anyone else to tell me what insurance policy is right for me? And yes, it was a bald faced lie. If it was anyone else, he would have been called on it long ago.

11-05-2013 02:45 PM
    It was obviously a misstatement, not a "pure bald faced lie".
    A misstatement that he made 29 times? Get real, man. There are even documents that show that discussions were held to decide whether to stop the statement or allow it to continue. They took the political road, and continued to lie. How can you honestly say that it wasn't a lie, putting aside your liberal views?
    They are much better off with full coverage through the ACA at a lower cost.
    Like me, who had a perfectly great BCBS policy with a $455 premium. Now, on Obummercare, a comparable plan (Platinum) is going to cost me $655, AFTER a $263 monthly credit.
    11-05-2013 02:58 PM
    It was obviously a misstatement, not a "pure bald faced lie"
    Are you saying that he made a "misstatement" everywhere he made a speech, had a press conference, town hall rally? Really?

Besides, how can a teleprompter make a misstatement?

11-05-2013 03:01 PM
    Who are you or anyone else to tell me what insurance policy is right for me? And yes, it was a bald faced lie. If it was anyone else, he would have been called on it long ago.
    You do know it's not me telling you what type of insurance policy is right for you, correct? Do you have the same problem with auto insurance being mandated? It was a government decision by "your" elected officials due to number of uninsured and under insured people across the United States and the rapidly rising percentage of the GNP that healthcare was eating out of the economy. If you don't like it, then go hook up with the anti-ACA groups.
    11-05-2013 03:10 PM
    It was a government decision by "your" elected officials
    Not mine. Not a single Republican voted for it. If the truth had been told, instead of the lie, it probably would have never passed, anyway, as it still only passed by the skin of it's teeth. A U.S. President blatantly lying to get a law passed is appalling, whatever party it is.
    11-05-2013 03:40 PM
    Do you have the same problem with auto insurance being mandated?
    A) Auto insurance requirements are on the state level, not federal.

B ) Auto insurance mandates are more about protecting others if you cause an accident, not so much yourself. I.e. covering the cost of repairs to someone else's property if your fault, or to protect a financer's interests if the car is collateral for a loan.
    11-05-2013 03:48 PM
    Not mine. Not a single Republican voted for it. If the truth had been told, instead of the lie, it probably would have never passed, anyway, as it still only passed by the skin of it's teeth. A U.S. President blatantly lying to get a law passed is appalling, whatever party it is.
    Ever since Republican Joe Wilson stood up at Obama's State of the Union address and called him a liar, it's been the theme of the right, and it's not working. He got relected. People aren't buying it. He lied about where he was born. He lied about his birth certificate. He lied about being a Christian. He lied about Benghazi. He lied about heathcare...and so on and so on.

You better get involved now with your local GOP or Tea Party and come up with a different theme or else you're going to get 4 years of Hillary right after Obama.
    msndrstood likes this.
    11-05-2013 03:54 PM
    You do know it's not me telling you what type of insurance policy is right for you, correct? Do you have the same problem with auto insurance being mandated? It was a government decision by "your" elected officials due to number of uninsured and under insured people across the United States and the rapidly rising percentage of the GNP that healthcare was eating out of the economy. If you don't like it, then go hook up with the anti-ACA groups.
    There is a difference. When people are driving a car, that interaction is a probable risk to other people and their property.

11-05-2013 04:35 PM
1,900 ... 3233343536 ...