07-15-2014 12:26 PM
1,900 ... 6465666768 ...
tools
    But I also understand that it can take time to gather the intelligence needed to confirm where a target is.
    There are pictures of a couple of them eating at a restaurant, just a few days after it happened. So it was confirmed as to the whereabouts.
    Btw, I'm not ok with Bush's comments either.
    05-22-2014 11:33 AM
    There are pictures of a couple of them eating at a restaurant, just a few days after it happened. So it was confirmed as to the whereabouts.
    Btw, I'm not ok with Bush's comments either.
    And of course you're privy to the reaction time of SF units, where they are, and how long it would take to put that mission together, right?

I know you're intelligent enough to know that unless we have intel about where they will be in the future that's reliable we can't put a mission together to actually do anything.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    05-22-2014 11:40 AM
    And of course you're privy to the reaction time of SF units, where they are, and how long it would take to put that mission together, right?

I know you're intelligent enough to know that unless we have intel about where they will be in the future that's reliable we can't put a mission together to actually do anything.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't take 18 months.
    05-22-2014 01:16 PM
    I'm pretty sure that it doesn't take 18 months.
    You're being kind of vague.

This comment reads as "We had a picture of them eating in a restaurant 18 months before they actually ate in the restaurant."

It should be noted that depending on the scenario and how fast acting they need to be it could take longer than that just to secure the staging areas for these missions. Not like we can just go and put assets on the ground permanently without talking to the host government first.

Only in rare circumstances will we perform covert operations inside of a somewhat friendly country without them knowing and approving.

05-22-2014 01:23 PM
    You're being kind of vague.
    Not at all. I don't know how you would read my comment as what you said. I was responding to this:
    05-22-2014 01:31 PM
    Not at all. I don't know how you would read my comment as what you said. I was responding to this:
    Which completely missed my point of having the intelligence ahead of time, giving them enough time to plan and execute the mission. Depending on the risk involved they also would want to practice.

I wasn't SF, but I do know what's involved in planning a mission. Ours were pretty "standard" and couldn't be executed on the fly without planning and in some cases practice.

UJ95x and A895 like this.
    05-22-2014 01:40 PM
    Which completely missed my point of having the intelligence ahead of time, giving them enough time to plan and execute the mission. Depending on the risk involved they also would want to practice.

I wasn't SF, but I do know what's involved in planning a mission. Ours were pretty "standard" and couldn't be executed on the fly without planning and in some cases practice.

So you don't think that 18 months is enough time? Wow.
    05-22-2014 03:00 PM
    So you don't think that 18 months is enough time? Wow.
    You're still missing the point. No credible intelligence = no mission planning.

Are you saying you're OK sending our people into a completely unknown situation to accomplish a capture/kill mission against an unknown force with unknown capabilities in an unknown location (unknown as in layouts and surroundings)?

A895 and UJ95x like this.
    05-22-2014 03:12 PM

Maybe he was estimating how long it takes based on his experience in Special Ops, I mean that Sony PS4 version of the game is SOOOO realistic.......
    A895 and rexxman like this.
    05-22-2014 04:14 PM
    I would think it would be easy to get those responsible. Just get on the phone with their leaders and let them know there would be absolutely no more American involvement with their country until we had those people in our custody. Cut all foreign aid, close all embassies, remove all military personnel and equipment, and cease all trade with the country. Why do we continue to deal with these countries when their citizens hate us? Why not leave them alone to run their own lives? Maybe the 4 people that died would still be alive if we could learn to mind our own business.
    05-22-2014 07:06 PM
    I would think it would be easy to get those responsible. Just get on the phone with their leaders and let them know there would be absolutely no more American involvement with their country until we had those people in our custody. Cut all foreign aid, close all embassies, remove all military personnel and equipment, and cease all trade with the country. Why do we continue to deal with these countries when their citizens hate us? Why not leave them alone to run their own lives? Maybe the 4 people that died would still be alive if we could learn to mind our own business.
    Even if that country has a nuclear arsenal and has no problem making up for the loss of aid by selling their technology to the highest bidder? Just real easy huh?
    05-22-2014 07:11 PM
    Even if that country has a nuclear arsenal and has no problem making up for the loss of aid by selling their technology to the highest bidder? Just real easy huh?
    So the answer is to buy them off? I guess you're good with the mob offering "protection" to local businesses too? If the country is a threat to us or our allies, flatten it. If not, leave them alone.
    05-22-2014 07:16 PM
    Politics and diplomacy are much more complicated than just being a bully. Us attempting to impose our rule on the planet will result in all of us and most of them dead. Most Americans are not willing to kill civilians and wipe out an entire culture due to the rogue actions of a radical faction.

If we did that, after 9/11 Saudi Arabia and Pakistan would have been nuked and about two minutes after those missiles landed, all of of civilization would be forever destroyed followed within months by all intelligent life being extinct. This is why we don't just waltz in and out of wars. Why would we go after a friendly country because of something their government didn't do?

What holds us back from just flattening Iran and North Korea? Its not only dangerous but ethically wrong and there is no win for anyone by giving in to petty fear and hatred.

Their government didn't attack us and their populace also didn't.

As for the logistics....

First, it is illegal for us to send in troops to assassinate criminal suspects in another sovereign nation. Its also illegal for us to so the same for the purposes of arresting them for trial unless we have permission from their government.

Second, how many soldiers should we allow to die for a poorly or not at all planned illegal invasion to murder suspected criminals without a trial? Would you sacrifice 50 to avenge 4? Or should we try to be smarter?

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.
    UJ95x, palandri and A895 like this.
    05-22-2014 07:31 PM
    I didn't say start a war with them, I said cease all dealings with them until they found and handed over those responsible for the attack. I fail to see the reasoning behind continued aid to a country that no interest in our security.
    05-22-2014 07:54 PM
    So the answer is to buy them off? I guess you're good with the mob offering "protection" to local businesses too? If the country is a threat to us or our allies, flatten it. If not, leave them alone.
    Darth has a pretty good take on what all is involved. I know that the whole "kick ar... and sort it out later" is a mentality that we Americans are known for, but this type of mentality is what's fueling all these terrorist groups. GWB's foreign policy and war mongering didn't help our cause and even alienated some of our allies. While the macho attitude is popular in movies, there is much more involved and much more at stake in the real world. It is possible to be a meat eating red-blooded American and still have a tempered attitude when it comes to foreign policy.
    A895 and palandri like this.
    05-22-2014 07:56 PM
    Who is war mongering? I am simply saying that we should help out our friends and leave the people alone that don't want or need our help. I want us to just mind our own business for a while and fix our own country before meddling in someone else's problems.
    05-22-2014 08:06 PM
    Who is war mongering? I am simply saying that we should help out our friends and leave the people alone that don't want or need our help. I want us to just mind our own business for a while and fix our own country before meddling in someone else's problems.
    Wouldn't thoughts like that counteract the whole "Obama-Benghazi" argument that was going on?

Posted via Android Central App
    05-22-2014 08:16 PM
    Wouldn't thoughts like that counteract the whole "Obama-Benghazi" argument that was going on?

It doesn't matter how many investigations we have, we will never find out the whole truth about what was going on. It's been over 18 months and we still don't even know what the ambassador was doing there.
    05-22-2014 08:38 PM
    It doesn't matter how many investigations we have, we will never find out the whole truth about what was going on. It's been over 18 months and we still don't even know what the ambassador was doing there.
    Glad we got there. Time to to move on to the next talking points.

05-22-2014 08:45 PM
    We don't even know where Obama was.
    05-22-2014 09:40 PM
    We don't even know where Obama was.

First, it is illegal for us to send in troops to assassinate criminal suspects in another sovereign nation. Its also illegal for us to so the same for the purposes of arresting them for trial unless we have permission from their government.
    How about drones?
    05-22-2014 09:41 PM
    How about drones?
    There are plenty of those on the right....They drone on and on about Benghazi, Obamacare.....
    rexxman and msndrstood like this.
    05-22-2014 11:58 PM
    Assassination is illegal 100% of the time, regardless of the tool(s) used. Drone strikes are justified (poorly IMO, but no one asked) by declaring the target an imminent threat to national security. It's even illegal to assassinate Templars.
    A895 likes this.
    05-23-2014 12:20 AM
    ..... It's even illegal to assassinate Templars.
    Even in a video game?
    A895 likes this.
    05-23-2014 06:57 AM
    There are plenty of those on the right....They drone on and on about Benghazi, Obamacare.....
    There are plenty of those on the left....They drone on and on about Bush, Iraq, the non-existent war on women.....

Fixed it.
    05-23-2014 10:28 AM
1,900 ... 6465666768 ...