I ran across this video earlier today thanks to a Reddit post. It's clear, informative, and well-composed, and I thought it was worth sharing here.

It's not just a re-statement of what the current distribution of wealth in this country is; it goes one step further in reporting poll data which illustrates Americans' perceptions of the wealth distribution.
    Aquila and rexxman like this.
    03-03-2013 11:41 PM
    I ran across this video earlier today thanks to a Reddit post. It's clear, informative, and well-composed, and I thought it was worth sharing here.

It's not just a re-statement of what the current distribution of wealth in this country is; it goes one step further in reporting poll data which illustrates Americans' perceptions of the wealth distribution.
    While I was aware of the actual, and that perception is off, the visualization is incredibly helpful, especially the 90% agreed upon ideal. Very interesting and deserving of thought.
    03-04-2013 08:53 PM
    Also saw this yesterday. The visualization is what makes it affective.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-04-2013 09:47 PM
    Also saw this yesterday. The visualization is what makes it affective.
    Man, I'm just a poor white boy in that chart.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-04-2013 10:40 PM
    Effective presentation.

The "super rich" have their own "occupy" strategy. Get the minions to fight amongst themselves;
    democrat/republican, liberal/conservative, giver/taker, gun control, abortion etc. etc. Keep their minds occupied so they don't set their sights on this inequality.

Peace brothers and sisters.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    Aquila likes this.
    03-04-2013 11:05 PM
    Ok, lets let the super rich pay the taxes.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-05-2013 04:50 AM
    Actually could you also provide the multimedia to show who pays for what at each level.
    My understanding is that all those people from the middle to the top pay for all the people on the bottom and also
    provide many of the jobs that are available to the citizens. So they provide the jobs and pay for the less fortunate.
    I just want it shown in the same manner.

I am talking about who pays taxes and at what level so there is no confusion.
    03-05-2013 05:39 PM
    Actually could you also provide the multimedia to show who pays for what at each level.
    My understanding is that all those people from the middle to the top pay for all the people on the bottom and also
    provide many of the jobs that are available to the citizens. So they provide the jobs and pay for the less fortunate.
    I just want it shown in the same manner.

I am talking about who pays taxes and at what level so there is no confusion.
    All taxes or just income taxes? This doesn't bracket it by % of the population, but by income level. I think I can merge the two data sets to approximate what you're asking for if you can specify what kind of taxes.

Looking at : http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...axes.html?_r=0

In 2011 46% of American's didn't pay a federal income tax, although 61% of them did pay payroll taxes and state taxes. 17% of american's did not pay taxes because they were either not employed or elderly.

It appears that the effective total tax burden in our country ranges from 17.4% for the lowest income workers to 30.4% at those taxed at the highest rate. This includes state and local (not sales tax, etc.), payroll taxes and federal income taxes. The average is 27.9%

In just the federal income tax it ranges from -5.7% to 15.8%. The average is 8.6%
    Federal income tax + payroll taxes it ranges from 5.1% to 21%. The average is 17.6%

The states that have the highest rates of non payers are red states, because of their high poverty levels.
    rexxman likes this.
    03-05-2013 06:01 PM
    Assumptions:

Attachments will work.
    Income is evenly dispersed within brackets except top bracket, for which 1,000,000 is used as the top bar.

Sources:
    Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...axes.html?_r=0

Because of assumptions used both income and taxes paid are understated, approximately evenly. This provides for a relative graphically accurate portrayal, but the numbers used can't be correct without having the actual data.

The top 16% or so of the population (100k+ earners) pay approximately 73% of the federal income tax and approximately 50% of all taxes.
    The top 1.5% of the population pay 28% of the federal income tax and approximately 15% of all taxes.
    The bottom 50% combined pay between -1% and 1% of all federal taxes (due to approximately 37% having negative amounts), although they pay 15.5% of the total taxes paid.

The charts are a little hard to read (size), but I can break it down to twentiles or whatever pretty easily now that I have a data set.
    Attached Thumbnails Wealth Distribution in the United States-total-tax.png   Wealth Distribution in the United States-federal-tax.png   Wealth Distribution in the United States-amount.png  
    rexxman likes this.
    03-05-2013 07:26 PM
    Sorry my charts are in the quality of the video, only spent about 45 minutes on this then moved on.
    03-05-2013 07:31 PM
    I appreciate the effort.
    Kevin OQuinn and rexxman like this.
    03-06-2013 01:51 AM