Hey Folks!

I don't mind that there's a political discussion area here, although I admit it's something I find a bit unusual because most of the boards I'm on (or have been) don't permit it because things usually turn into a flame-fest. But nevertheless, it's working here, and that's pretty cool.

One thing I've noticed is that there's a lot of stuff brought up here, which in and of itself is fine, but then people try to back it up with really irrational and/or unreliable sources. And all I have to do to determine whether a source -- often that I've never even heard of -- is irrational is no more than anyone else would have to do. As lazy as it has made us in some respects, Google is your friend. You can easily check to see if, say, NaturalNews.com or InfoWars.com or even NationalEnquirer.com is considered to be reliable.

Not to be insulting or denigrating to anyone here, but the reason I'm pointing this out is that if you're trying to make an argument and base it on a source that lacks credibility, it really just kinda makes you look silly. Besides, maybe if you want to know the truth about something, you should vett your own sources first so that you know whether a particular subject is factually accurate or not, and if it is, what sides exist and therefore which one makes the most sense for you to be on. I mean, I recognize this is "just a message board" and not "a research paper for college" but honestly... why traffic in ignorance?

One thing I also like, because this message board does have an international audience, is that there is the potential for people from different cultures to talk about issues, like for instance gun ownership. America's culture tends to lead thoughts on this subject in one direction; people living for instance in England or Germany may have a significantly different view. And, from an American's perspective, there may be some kind of "thing" in some foreign country that would sound absolutely absurd to me, but by talking to people from that country and getting the chance to understand it from their point of view, I can at least come to understand the perspective, and in some cases maybe even find I agree with them.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-12-2013 09:15 AM
    I agree with this for the most part. Major kudos to the staff, because it takes a great moderation team to keep these kinds of forums under control and not degenerate into a complete flame war.

As for vetting our sources, I think it's easier said than done. Take two well known news stations: Fox News and MSNBC. Fox is typically seen as conservative leaning and MSNBC as liberal leaning. Both are technically reputable news sources, but conservatives won't believe anything MSNBC says and vice versa. There's two sides to most every story, and both sides can find ways to vet their own and discredit the other.

And I'm sure there are people that will completely disagree with everything I just said.
    03-13-2013 02:06 PM
    I agree with this for the most part. Major kudos to the staff, because it takes a great moderation team to keep these kinds of forums under control and not degenerate into a complete flame war.

As for vetting our sources, I think it's easier said than done. Take two well known news stations: Fox News and MSNBC. Fox is typically seen as conservative leaning and MSNBC as liberal leaning. Both are technically reputable news sources, but conservatives won't believe anything MSNBC says and vice versa. There's two sides to most every story, and both sides can find ways to vet their own and discredit the other.

And I'm sure there are people that will completely disagree with everything I just said.

Thank you for the kind words. We do our best.
    Paul627g likes this.
    03-13-2013 03:20 PM

Agree with most of it, except "Both are technically reputable news sources". Both are entertainment networks masquerading as news organizations. Fox even successfully sued and won a decision that indicated they had no obligation not to lie on the air. In my mind, other than the obvious ratings driven 'spin' they put in their coverage, they both may as well be the same network. Both are hugely pro-establishment and pro-status quo. Both do little investigative journalism and will ignore huge issues with their stories whenever it suits their needs.

It's funny, the further you get from mainstream towards actual journalism, the closer conservative and liberal opinions seem to be to each other. Just like we witnessed in the 2012 election debates, Mitt Romney and President Obama had almost identical beliefs and approaches to most issues of policy and governance. It is the same with the mainstream media, when it comes to politics, science, economics, entertainment, you name it: the underlying assumptions are that the status quo (being a banker-run, debt slave society) is the ideal, and anyone wanting to push us forward is crazy. Most of the coverage we get now is snarky comments from millionaire anchors poking fun at the hypocrisy of their opposition.

Time after time, Fox, the NY Times and CNN have been caught withholding stories from the public at the request of government, and in the case of the Wall Street Journal, they withheld a story solely at the request of the chairman of the Federal Reserve bank. To me the corruption of the political arena is linked intrinsically to the corruption of the mainstream news companies. We have to remember that 6 media companies control 90% of all media (print, video, music, etc) produced in the United States, and they have interlocking 1st and 2nd party bonds among each other. This makes it very difficult for people to learn the truth from journalists, because there is a direct opposition to anything except propaganda that comes directly from, "official unnamed sources".

This is mainly to suggest that we should question the mainstream just as much as we question the fringe publications.
    03-13-2013 11:34 PM
    Agree with most of it, except "Both are technically reputable news sources".
    I rest my case. Lol
    Aquila likes this.
    03-14-2013 12:18 AM
    I'm particularly sensitive to what happened in the 2012 election cycle as a result of what happened to Ron Paul, both by the media and even by lay people. But in any event, I would really like to thank all of you folks so far who have posted replies to this thread, because I believe you are all quite correct in what you've said, and I also join in the comments made by Mooncatt regarding the good job done by board moderation. The fact that this board has not degenerated into a flame fest is, no doubt, due in no small part to your efforts and vigilance.
    03-14-2013 05:15 PM