This article is written by a woman who had breast cancer and now a recurrence. I don't know how much interest there is in this on a predominantly male site, but thought I would post it anyhow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/ma...st-cancer.html
    Aquila and jdbii like this.
    04-26-2013 03:20 PM
    Mammograms should occur until there is better detection. The simple fact is the pink ribbon organisation pours millions into finding new detection and treatment. Cancer across the board here has a ridiculously large funding as we have high rates of it. I think its all well deserved funding if not there should be more.

I know my own coach is all for it as his wife died in her late 30s or early 40s from it. When house prices were 90k (in a very good location now worth the 1m mark in today's values 10 yrs earlier)they sold the investment property and bought 9 months of treatment (10k a dose). They flew to religious sites like the miracle water (his not religious but believes in a god)and I know he would do it again in effort to save his wife. The thing is its a serious issue and we have to work with what we have at the present day. As a guy I'm all for supporting the stop of breast cancer.

Going to read the other 8 pages later.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-26-2013 08:29 PM
    Going to read the other 8 pages later.
    Glad to see someone read at least some of the article!

It is quite technical in some respects, but I think most lay people should get most of the points. I wish she had not waited until the last page to make one of if not the most important point.
    04-26-2013 08:37 PM
    It was quite difficult to read on the nexus 4 so i swapped to the laptop - so i could do some study / assignments after the read.
    Done reading, it is a sad story, but I still believe that the companies mean well in trying to "prevent". I guess it really depends on the organisation - a lot of them well in my state at least a very big on trying to find the causes and cures. Least effort is being put into it!
    04-26-2013 09:50 PM
    Interesting article, she makes some very good points. Myself, I'll add that there are some questionable motives behind some of these cancer organizations such as Susan G. Komen. While some money goes to cancer research, it seems too much goes elsewhere, not to mention the whole pinkwashing thing (see Susan G. Komen for the Cure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Komen's 20092010 Expenses
    Research (20.9%)
    Public health education (39.1%)
    Health screening services (13.0%)
    Treatment (5.6%)
    Fund-raising costs (10.0%)
    Administrative costs (11.3%)

In the 2009-2010 fiscal year, ending March 31, 2010, Komen reported approximately US $400 million in earnings. Of this, $365 million (91.3 percent) came from contributions from the public, including donations, sponsorships, race entry fees, and contributed goods and services. Approximately $35 million (8.8 percent) came from interest and dividends and gains on investments.[28]

That same fiscal year, Komen reported approximately US $360 million in expenses. $283.2 million of this went towards program services: $75.4 million (20.9 percent of total expenditure) went to research, $140.8 million (39.1 percent) went to public health education, $46.9 million (13 percent) went to health screening services, and $20.1 million (5.6 percent) went to treatment services. The other $76.8 million went to supporting services, including $36.1 million (10 percent of total expenditure) toward fund-raising costs and $40.6 million (11.3 percent) toward general and administrative costs.[28]

The Komen CEO salary in 2010 was $459,406 a year.[29] Komen paid founder and CEO Nancy Brinker $417,712 in 2011.
    Komen is a key entity in the controversy over "pinkwashing"the use of breast cancer and the pink ribbon by corporate marketers, especially to promote products that might be unhealthyin return for a donation to the cause. Komen benefits greatly from these corporate partnerships, receiving over $55 million a year[52] from two hundred and sixteen corporate sponsors.[53] However, critics say many of these promotions are deceptive to consumers and benefit the companies more than the charity.
    Aquila, jdbii and androidluvr2 like this.
    04-27-2013 11:08 AM
    I really appreciate the replies. I have a lot to get done today, but when I get a chance I will summarize my take on the article.
    Fairclough likes this.
    04-27-2013 11:29 AM
    Its eye opening but there are worse organisations were admin costs unfortunately run into 50%+ spending.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-29-2013 02:17 AM
    It really is an interesting article but really depressing not only because the authors personal experience is so harrowing but because she raises a lot of difficult questions. There is no easy answer to any of them. The authors suggests that in many cases early detection does not automatically translate into better survival because breast cancer is really a broad disease and the real determining factor is the virulence of whatever sub-set one gets stricken with. The disease strikes so much fear in people that most people would opt for early detection and treatment because, in the case where one does have a treatable strand of the disease, early detection is still best defense. She didn't mention it overtly but she raises the issue of who is really being served -- is it the patients, or is it doctors, hospitals, insurance companies, drug companies and all their political entities? The fact that the Pink Ribbon Movement has become too political and self-serving comes as no surprise because all political movements at eventually lose site of their mission and put the needs of the organization first. One ray of hope that she does leave the reader with is if one day the various forms of the disease can be better identified and understood so we can better tailor treatment and forgo so much over diagnosis and over treatment as well as offer more hope to patients and their loved ones.
    Aquila likes this.
    04-30-2013 05:02 PM