05-30-2013 10:38 PM
125 ... 345
tools
    Sign up for the military and then get surprised when they ask you to deploy....uh what did she expect? Free benefits and housing for nothing?

Why join the military if your against the war in iraq ? Kinda weird...

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App
    Many people who are in the military don't support the war. They don't have to support the cause, they just have to support the commander in chief.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    05-26-2013 01:26 PM
    You could say that war exists for the sole purpose of destruction, because war, war never changes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    05-26-2013 01:44 PM
    Many people who are in the military don't support the war. They don't have to support the cause, they just have to support the commander in chief.

That, and officers appointed over you. I hate hearing about people joining for educational benefits and the like just to complain about being deployed.
    05-26-2013 09:24 PM
    Earlier in this thread we touched upon the draft, and I wanted to post the NYTimes Op-Ed that was published today or yesterday. The author is talking about the negative consequences of having an all volunteer military, one of which is the chasm between civilians and the military is widening. I've mentioned it before earlier in this thread, but I don't think being deployed or going to war is something that only volunteers should face because it makes it too easy for the non-volunteers to send them off.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/op...tml?ref=global
    05-27-2013 11:06 AM
    Earlier in this thread we touched upon the draft, and I wanted to post the NYTimes Op-Ed that was published today or yesterday. The author is talking about the negative consequences of having an all volunteer military, one of which is the chasm between civilians and the military is widening. I've mentioned it before earlier in this thread, but I don't think being deployed or going to war is something that only volunteers should face because it makes it too easy for the non-volunteers to send them off.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/op...tml?ref=global
    Precisely. Which is why we need a mandatory service requirement for everyone, females included.
    jdbii and Aquila like this.
    05-27-2013 10:23 PM
    Precisely. Which is why we need a mandatory service requirement for everyone, females included.
    Bring it down to 2 years, do it immediately after highschool with a deferral for people going into science (real science), education and engineering in a real college in the fall; perhaps allowing them to complete basic summer between and simply remain "at the ready" in case of a draft type situation, but otherwise... we need their minds getting to work more so than we need their boots in New Mexico or South Carolina. At minimum everyone should do basic training, maybe make it a part of graduating high school.
    05-28-2013 03:38 AM
    Bring it down to 2 years, do it immediately after highschool with a deferral for people going into science (real science), education and engineering in a real college in the fall; perhaps allowing them to complete basic summer between and simply remain "at the ready" in case of a draft type situation, but otherwise... we need their minds getting to work more so than we need their boots in New Mexico or South Carolina. At minimum everyone should do basic training, maybe make it a part of graduating high school.
    Two years is fine, that's how some European countries do it anyway. I personally would want to see everyone have a commitment. There's no reason that those doing science and engineering can't contribute too. But thats just my thoughts. Still, someone will find a way to get out of the commitment. Also, Id hope that pulling a stupid stunt to get out of your mandatory service would bar you from public office, from getting a security clearance, and from government employment.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-28-2013 09:23 AM
    Two years is fine, that's how some European countries do it anyway. I personally would want to see everyone have a commitment. There's no reason that those doing science and engineering can't contribute too. But thats just my thoughts. Still, someone will find a way to get out of the commitment. Also, Id hope that pulling a stupid stunt to get out of your mandatory service would bar you from public office, from getting a security clearance, and from government employment.
    I'm on board with everyone, I just had the exception in there because today we have a huge shortage of people in those fields... but that won't always be true and no reason to write the law forever based on today's shortage.
    05-28-2013 01:46 PM
    I'm on board with everyone, I just had the exception in there because today we have a huge shortage of people in those fields... but that won't always be true and no reason to write the law forever based on today's shortage.
    It is a valid concern. Science, engineering and education are definitely more valuable for the well being of any nation and humanity than getting a buzz cut, learning to march, and polishing your boots. Possibly you could grant early separation from service to people entering areas of study where there are critical shortages. So instead of serving 2 years somebody accepted into a Chemistry program at "Your State University" might be eligible to leave service a year early. They would still be in the reserves and if they didn't pursue the course of study that got them released early they would have to go back and finish their service. It is all easier said then done, and none of it is really ideal, but motivating kids and their families to study and enter critical fields is important, and some system that encouraged kids to make those decisions would be wonderful.

I don't even think 2 years would be necessary if there was a draft. I think 1 year would be enough. That would render everything I just wrote in the prior paragraph moot, unless everybody served in the reserves after their regular service and studying the sciences afforded some protection from being called back into regular service.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-28-2013 03:17 PM
    I had to laugh reading these stories. When I signed up in '90 I was asked to give 3 choices. So I put down infantry, infantry, and infantry. I guess that's about as opposite of refusing deployment as you can get. Little did I know my intention to do my basic 3 and get hired somewhere would turn into 10 years before I made good my escape to someone silly enough to hire me lol.
    05-28-2013 03:32 PM

what you quickly learn after you get in is that you're not doing it for either the cause or the officer ranks. You're doing it for your brothers beside you, because they're the only ones who have your back.
    05-28-2013 03:37 PM
    what you quickly learn after you get in is that you're not doing it for either the cause or the officer ranks. You're doing it for your brothers beside you, because they're the only ones who have your back.
    I'm glad you felt like that about your coworkers, because my husband despised every last person in his previous unit.

"Worth is not measured in worldly things, but instead in the compassion you have given unto others." via my droid DNA.
    05-28-2013 04:20 PM
    That's a bummer, i guess it depends on what you do. I was in the sh** so we grew pretty close in adversity
    05-28-2013 04:35 PM
    That's a bummer, i guess it depends on what you do. I was in the sh** so we grew pretty close in adversity
    Meh, he's a medic and was attached to a field artillary unit. He was always on the line. The people he worked with though were questionable at best.

"Worth is not measured in worldly things, but instead in the compassion you have given unto others." via my droid DNA.
    05-28-2013 04:51 PM
    True. But I'm sure that it'll never happen.
    05-28-2013 06:27 PM
    True. But I'm sure that it'll never happen.
    Run for congress and make it happen
    05-28-2013 06:30 PM
    Run for congress and make it happen
    If only it were that easy!

Wasn't that guy from New York, Charles Rangel, trying to get the draft reinstated?
    05-28-2013 06:45 PM
    Meh, he's a medic and was attached to a field artillary unit. He was always on the line. The people he worked with though were questionable at best.

Didn't like the other medics in his unit?
    05-29-2013 08:53 AM
    Didn't like the other medics in his unit?
    Didn't like is the nice term for it. He couldn't stand anyone, really. His platoon was known for corrupt leadership and it was all a popularly game.

05-29-2013 11:24 AM
    That sucks, that would be enough to drive me over the bend
    05-29-2013 01:39 PM
    IF we were to have mandatory military service, I do not think 2 years is long enough, at least 4. The reasons why is training versus expense and the constant need to retrain a replacement for what I would assume is a large group of your service members.

Also keep in mind that someone who volunteers also should have understood what that service will and could include. If you are forcing someone I doubt they will be all they can be.

NAVY: Never Again Volunteer Yourself.
    jdbii likes this.
    05-29-2013 09:53 PM
    Lol

Posted via Android Central App
    05-29-2013 11:06 PM
    IF we were to have mandatory military service, I do not think 2 years is long enough, at least 4. The reasons why is training versus expense and the constant need to retrain a replacement for what I would assume is a large group of your service members.

Also keep in mind that someone who volunteers also should have understood what that service will and could include. If you are forcing someone I doubt they will be all they can be.

Great point! I know some schools alone are 1.5-2 years anyway.
    05-30-2013 06:24 AM
    I have seen people post possible reasons for signing up for the military, like the educational benefits, travel etc. But my advice to anyone considering military service is that if you are not prepared to take a life, or give your own for for people you have and never will meet, in the defense of an idea then I don't think you should go..
    05-30-2013 07:59 AM
    I have seen people post possible reasons for signing up for the military, like the educational benefits, travel etc. But my advice to anyone considering military service is that if you are not prepared to take a life, or give your own for for people you have and never will meet, in the defense of an idea then I don't think you should go..
    And please don't complain when it comes to deployment time. I hate people who claim that they never knew that they could be deployed when they joined.
    Live2ride883 and Aquila like this.
    05-30-2013 10:38 PM
125 ... 345