05-30-2013 06:21 AM
94 1234
tools
    Definition of "rich".... in 2012 Apple was expected to contribute $10.5 billion in taxes to the US and another $6 Billion to the state of California. In reality, they paid $0 to both. How many textbooks or road repairs or safer food processing plants does $16.5 billion buy? I think that amount could cover all of the new textbooks needed in public schools for 1-2 years. Or cover 210,000 full ride scholarships to a 4 year college, etc. Not saying that's the best way to spend money, but we're crying about not being able to afford important stuff, while purposely minimizing our revenue intake and pushing as much money as possible out in the form of subsidies to a handful of corporations that control the media, oil and defense industries.
    How many guns would that have paid for to Syria?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    05-23-2013 03:21 PM
    How many guns would that have paid for to Syria?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Direct answer, no clue. I don't know if we should be giving guns to anyone in Syria or not and not sure how much they cost if we do.

I don't think that Apple should have paid 10.5 billion in Federal Taxes; under the current law they're doing the smartest thing they can do. But I think we could have worked with them to bring some of their $150 billion here and maybe they would have agreed to $3? to $5? My point isn't about how we should spend money, because I don't know how it's best served... it's that we're crying about not having enough money, and providing companies with a direct incentive to not help us out with it. It's silly for us to think companies will be "patriotic", they exist to serve shareholders, not the country. In this country, it's actually the reverse: the government exists at the will of the companies and the people are along for the ride, outraged or not.
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    05-23-2013 03:28 PM
    Direct answer, no clue. I don't know if we should be giving guns to anyone in Syria or not and not sure how much they cost if we do.

I don't think that Apple should have paid 10.5 billion in Federal Taxes; under the current law they're doing the smartest thing they can do. But I think we could have worked with them to bring some of their $150 billion here and maybe they would have agreed to $3? to $5? My point isn't about how we should spend money, because I don't know how it's best served... it's that we're crying about not having enough money, and providing companies with a direct incentive to not help us out with it. It's silly for us to think companies will be "patriotic", they exist to serve shareholders, not the country. In this country, it's actually the reverse: the government exists at the will of the companies and the people are along for the ride, outraged or not.
    I agree.

But... When Obama was in his 2nd year in office, if we had taxed every fortune 500 company 100% of their gross earnings, it would have taken over 200 years to pay off our debt. -i can't remember where I read this, that was a while ago.

The problem with our debt is not how much revenue the IRS gets, its how much we spend. Only about half of this country pays taxes and 47% draw government subsidies.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    05-23-2013 03:36 PM

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    05-23-2013 03:41 PM
    I agree.

But... When Obama was in his 2nd year in office, if we had taxed every fortune 500 company 100% of their gross earnings, it would have taken over 200 years to pay off our debt. -i can't remember where I read this, that was a while ago.

The problem with our debt is not how much revenue the IRS gets, its how much we spend. Only about half of this country pays taxes and 47% draw government subsidies.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Well that and we pay interest creating money... the way I understand it, 99.99% of income taxes go to paying interest only on the debt and the .01% either gets lost or in theory, could be applied to the principle.

One of the things that JFK and Ron Paul were 100% right about (damn LBJ to hell for reversing course on this one), the FED has got to go. Forget about auditing them, I don't care how MUCH they're stealing, just the fact that they are is enough for me. Repeal their lawful authority, cancel the debt (note I didn't say pay off) and have the people dig deep and prioritize how we're going to fund a brand new system, that's starting from scratch with $0 revenue and $0 expenses. How much will we bring in and what do we want to spend it on? It'd be weird, people would have to prioritize.

I realize this would destroy the world "economy", but ... realistically it died long ago, and it's floating on credit granted by people with no reason not to capitalize on the squirming of the worms stuck on their very large hook.
    05-23-2013 03:46 PM

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    That's hilarious... or would be if it weren't so sinister.
    05-23-2013 03:50 PM
    Well that and we pay interest creating money... the way I understand it, 99.99% of income taxes go to paying interest only on the debt and the .01% either gets lost or in theory, could be applied to the principle.

One of the things that JFK and Ron Paul were 100% right about (damn LBJ to hell for reversing course on this one), the FED has got to go. Forget about auditing them, I don't care how MUCH they're stealing, just the fact that they are is enough for me. Repeal their lawful authority, cancel the debt (note I didn't say pay off) and have the people dig deep and prioritize how we're going to fund a brand new system, that's starting from scratch with $0 revenue and $0 expenses. How much will we bring in and what do we want to spend it on? It'd be weird, people would have to prioritize.

I realize this would destroy the world "economy", but ... realistically it died long ago, and it's floating on credit granted by people with no reason not to capitalize on the squirming of the worms stuck on their very large hook.
    The only thing that scares me about auditing the fed is what if we do and we are 170 trillion in debt instead of 17 trillion? I dunno on that one. I'm either way

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    05-23-2013 03:59 PM
    And to think I liked Rand Paul. Apple needs to be attacked.
    05-23-2013 11:45 PM
    And to think I liked Rand Paul. Apple needs to be attacked.
    One day he says something awesome, the next it's a SMH moment all day long.
    05-23-2013 11:46 PM
    Apple needs to be attacked.
    Why? For making the best legal use of our overly complex tax code? I'm not big on Apple products, but I'm to the point of wanting to applaud these companies for finding these tricks. If anything, the attack should be at the government for making the code so complex in the first place that lets people and companies do this sort of thing. Don't leave these kinds of legal technicalities and then cry foul when someone makes use of them.
    05-24-2013 12:36 AM
    Why? For making the best legal use of our overly complex tax code? I'm not big on Apple products, but I'm to the point of wanting to applaud these companies for finding these tricks. If anything, the attack should be at the government for making the code so complex in the first place that lets people and companies do this sort of thing. Don't leave these kinds of legal technicalities and then cry foul when someone makes use of them.
    I'm actually fine with Apple products. I think they suck now, but I get why people used to like them and I deeply appreciate the competition that allowed Android to flourish.

I hate Apple as a company, but not because of taxes or wealth. I have a sneaking suspicion that, if the legendary Illuminati still exists, and if it's not controlling the world through banks, media and the war industry (approximately 12 companies control these three "industries"), and if there is a war on the minds of the world... okay, there are a lot of IF's, we'll not go into all of them, but assuming they're all true, then I think Apple is controlled by the Illuminati and, as they are descendants of the Templars; as a follower of the Assassin's Creed, it is my mission to destroy the Templars and all their minions.

Back to the real world: their products suck, are way over-hyped and I just don't get it. Just like Samsung recently, Apple fans behave like cultists, with either the logo, or the CEO or whatever as their chosen god, sneering at the uninitiated while attempting to convert people to their perverted belief system.

To end my rant of all rants for the night:

The following cults can go to hell:
    fan boys
    democrats
    republicans
    religions
    anti whatevers
    pro whatevers
    99% ers
    1% ers
    47% ers
    Martians
    rapists
    fact-a-phobics
    science deniers
    reality TV

and Apple.

this might need a new thread, "people who I dislike"
    05-24-2013 01:15 AM
    Actually Rand blasted congress for calling Apple in because:
    1. They did nothing illegal. Congress wants to intimidate and make a sideshow and waste time.
    2. The current tax code is over 55,000 pages (closer to 70,000 I think) and no one understands it.
    3. It could be you up there. Think about it. We all do what we can to pay as little tax as possible.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Aquila likes this.
    05-24-2013 07:42 AM
    Actually Rand blasted congress for calling Apple in because:
    1. They did nothing illegal. Congress wants to intimidate and make a sideshow and waste time.
    2. The current tax code is over 55,000 pages (closer to 70,000 I think) and no one understands it.
    3. It could be you up there. Think about it. We all do what we can to pay as little tax as possible.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Congress does have a very suspicious way of never doing anything that should be a priority, while wasting time in their reality-tv style circus creating soundbites and smelly air.... I'm glad you noticed that too and it's not just me getting uncomfortable.
    05-24-2013 07:45 AM
    Congress does have a very suspicious way of never doing anything that should be a priority, while wasting time in their reality-tv style circus creating soundbites and smelly air.... I'm glad you noticed that too and it's not just me getting uncomfortable.
    F-en a bubba

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Aquila likes this.
    05-24-2013 07:47 AM
    My job lets me write off $59/day for every day I work. Roughly $14k a year, on top of other standard write offs. So you're darn tootin' I do my share to pay as little as possible.
    05-24-2013 07:57 AM
    One day he says something awesome, the next it's a SMH moment all day long.
    Pretty much!
    05-24-2013 09:11 AM
    Was reading just a few days ago that the NFL pays no taxes as they are a non profit organization. If that is true we really need to close some of the loopholes in the tax code.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    palandri likes this.
    05-25-2013 11:46 PM
    So I like the though processes behind the Fair Tax and have been reading quite a bit about it, but I strongly disagree that businesses shouldn't be paying taxes. I'm much more in favor of a flat income tax for that reason, even though it's technically more regressive on the lower ends of the spectrum, it's far more effective at the higher ends. Also agree 100% with simplifying the code, getting rid of loopholes and making it exceptionally straightforward and transparent.
    05-25-2013 11:53 PM
    So I like the though processes behind the Fair Tax and have been reading quite a bit about it, but I strongly disagree that businesses shouldn't be paying taxes.
    Economics 101: Businesses never pay taxes, no matter what the tax structure. Lets take it to the extreme and said ONLY businesses "paid" tax. No sales tax, no personal taxes, income or otherwise, no excise taxes, etc. What do you think would happen?
    Aquila likes this.
    05-26-2013 12:09 AM
    Economics 101: Businesses never pay taxes, no matter what the tax structure. Lets take it to the extreme and said ONLY businesses "paid" tax. No sales tax, no personal taxes, income or otherwise, no excise taxes, etc. What do you think would happen?
    We're not playing in reality, we're playing in ideal world. I get your point, but that doesn't change what I think they ought to do, only what they will do.
    05-26-2013 12:12 AM
    Think of it this way.
    Employee "a" owns company and company makes money. When employee "a" makes a good profit, it is taxed. Employee "b" helps company make a lot of money. "B" gets a bonus that is taxed.

So, when a company makes money, employees and owners make a profit that's taxed. I guess what I'm trying to say is a company is people. We could make it without taxing company's profits.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    05-26-2013 08:32 AM
    ..... Also agree 100% with simplifying the code, getting rid of loopholes and making it exceptionally straightforward and transparent.
    That would certainly be ideal. Can it be done? There are so many crazy loopholes. I remember reading an article by a director of an art museum who talked about legal tax avoidance with art work. A person would buy a painting at an auction for like $1,500.00, then get it appraised by multiple appraisers for like $200,000.00. They would then donate it to an art museum and take a $200,000.00 charity deduction.

We are suppose to have a progressive tax system, meaning the more you make, the more you pay. We saw in the last election that some very rich people pay a smaller % of their income than average working people. That shows the tax system actually starts out progressive, but then becomes regressive. I would certainly be happy with a flat tax, no exceptions, at this point in time.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-26-2013 09:08 AM
    Was reading just a few days ago that the NFL pays no taxes as they are a non profit organization. If that is true we really need to close some of the loopholes in the tax code.
    Agreed! That's pretty crazy if true.
    05-26-2013 09:14 AM
    Make it illegal to offshore bank accounts - that would guarantee the mega rich pay their share instead of hoarding it all overseas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    metz65 likes this.
    05-26-2013 12:40 PM

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    The hypocrisy in that statement is through the roof. How can they be classified as a non profit when they charge for tickets, food, etc... If that is so, how do they get the money to pay their employees.

So in other words, the nfl has brainwashed 300+million Americans into donating them money to watch grown men play a child's game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    metz65 likes this.
    05-26-2013 12:43 PM
94 1234