I was going to write this in the morning, however I got the morning of training due to thunderstorms so I have time tonight to write. So tonight lets be honest, drop our sides for a moment from the left wing or the right wing, up on a pedestal or from the ground we might be standing on trying to get our words heard. We know our world is changing from the cavemen times discovering fire, from industrial times to an unknown future with unknown uncertainties. Whether Global Warming is Human caused or the natural cycles of the Earth, Whether WMD will be the end of mankind or this world is one big illusion as we know it but what I do know is this corrupt, polluted world is all we have but yet somehow within its ruins we can find beauty. This year has seen threats of nuclear strikes, terrorism and risk of another economic crisis. Every day another girl is taken from the world tonight, today 3 were returned home over a decade of being kidnapped and the families found relief, troops returning home from war which could be seen illegal or not however they know they were protecting those from foreign lands who had lost hope. Within our own soils, we can see chaos but under this chaos, fundamentally every party with a common senses and humanity is trying to serve the greater good of our public within their own right mind and beliefs. So for a day, lets drop sides, political views and affiliation - lets all just speak of how chance can be caused.

Issues include; Nuclear War and Crisis within Japan, risks of economic turmoil, gun policy - what will be best for the people, should parents have their wages paid at full for parental leave to care for their children if they are going to return to work, how will we fight GW - adapt or mitigate? Do we have the right to intervene internationally to prevent other countries civil war? how do we deal with asylum seekers?

(for those who are wondering, generally I vote liberal - Yes I dislike Tony Abbott at times, but his policies are half decent and they did well under howard (always did meetings with Bush) when was inpower. At a state level they have done an excellent job in. Labour has done an amazing effort under Kevin Rudd when he came to power, however, not a big fan of gillard and starting to disagree with her choices. Open to change all the time, I can never agree 100% with all the views of any party.)
    05-07-2013 09:18 AM
    Regarding Crises in Japan, are you talking about their economic problems and the fact that their economy has been struggling and in the doldrums for over 20 years? If that is what you were talking about, I've often wondered if the current economic malaise in the US and western Europe is similar to Japan's experience. I think I recently read that the stock market and home prices in Japan are still only 50 percent of what they were valued in 1990. The country built up so fast after the war and it was all based on an exporting manufactured goods but along the way cost of living and wages skyrocketed at home. They've kind of screwed themselves since they can't make any profit producing their own goods for domestic consumption and they can't compete with other exporting countries like China where manufactured goods can be produced at a fraction of the expense. Japan has a lot of disadvantages like being one of the most densely populated counties in the world, not much land, little energy resources, and not a great amount of natural resources, but the manufacturing based economy that catapulted them to the top in the 1980's obviously isn't sustainable. I'm not exactly sure how they kick start their economy today, but I am worried that the US, Europe, and others potential will be facing the same thing. It seems like the world has gotten too small for every country to base their economies on growth. Global Warming is obviously tied into this, since industrialization, development, and growth result in much higher energy usage, so maybe one of the ways Global Warming can be addressed is by finding a more sustainable economic model that doesn't rely on non-stop growth.
    Fairclough likes this.
    05-07-2013 02:59 PM
    I was referring to the Japan's nuclear power plant issues are getting worse again, they had to input water into the plant to cool it and store the toxic water, but now external water (underground) is starting to rush into the plants. Which might be an environmental disaster. However you brought up a better topic. I have a feeling something similar to my town is going to happen, even though we have a booming population, the medium price is about 550,000 which is pretty unrealistic for a first home buyer or a young couple. Our 2nd largest sector is basically hitting to an halt (largest is financial/services sector) as most mining companies aren't expanding but contracting their projects due to a tax which has failed to rack in the expected 2 billion (only 500million) due to the slow down. No country stays at the top, believe it or not at one point Aus had the highest GDP in the world (before it was officially a country due to resources) but how Japan has done their business was genius but like you said it wasn't sustainable their growth. I am hoping countries do a Dubai approach and invest in other sectors before their primary shuts down - they are lucky as their a massive transport hub. GW might ruin Japan's exports, however they're trying to invest in raising every port (about 1000 of them) up by at least 1 metre so it won't be underwater by 2100.

GW has been escalated by us its obvious, the problem is that most of our populations around the world is on the coast and its the poor countries which will be hit. The first expected to go is a country called Tuvalu were the avg height of land is 0.5 metres above sea level and thats expect to go by 2040ish.

I personally think a recession might be in the worlds best interest, across the board people are working far too long hours, prices are getting ridiculously high and unaffordable. We need to be set down to something reasonable, though i am not in value of everyone losing jobs.
    jdbii likes this.
    05-07-2013 05:31 PM
    I have 4 grandchildren. 3 are in school. The oldest 2 have been bullied in school and on the bus. Now I know bullying has been around forever, but to me, it seems to be more ruthless and relentless than ever. Their mother, my daughter, was bullied when she was younger, including by a teacher in 2nd grade. So now, she doesn't take any crap from anyone and teaches her children the same. I agree that as a people, we have become desensitized, and it makes it easier to bully/attack someone.

I don't know what the answer is, I do know that I fear for the future generations and the future of civilized society in general. And I'm not THAT old.

Posted via Android Central App
    jdbii likes this.
    05-07-2013 06:34 PM
    I don't know what the answer is, I do know that I fear for the future generations and the future of civilized society in general.

Agree 100%. If people don't step up and promote a mindset of reason and positive interdependence, I can't see how this works out well without another dark age. As we let the rulers blind the public with mythology and fear, we lose everything worth fighting for. Humans are not meant to fight for the scraps of some "benevolent" leader; we are meant to soar and clearly evolved socially. When the politicians say, "we're all in this together" they mean something else... but we should take it literally. As in every generation, we have a choice as whether we try to exalt or destroy our culture. So far we seem to have a majority that are perfectly happy to watch it all crumble away, so long as there is no interruption to live coverage of sports or reality TV. We absolutely do need change, but not the kind that politicians provide... that's a unidirectional towards slavery. We need to change how we perceive each other and stand up for our neighbors. Defend the Rights of those you most disagree with.
    jdbii and msndrstood like this.
    05-07-2013 06:44 PM
    I was referring to the Japan's nuclear power plant issues are getting worse again, they had to input water into the plant to cool it and store the toxic water, but now external water (underground) is starting to rush into the plants. Which might be an environmental disaster. However you brought up a better topic. I have a feeling something similar to my town is going to happen, even though we have a booming population, the medium price is about 550,000 which is pretty unrealistic for a first home buyer or a young couple. Our 2nd largest sector is basically hitting to an halt (largest is financial/services sector) as most mining companies aren't expanding but contracting their projects due to a tax which has failed to rack in the expected 2 billion (only 500million) due to the slow down. No country stays at the top, believe it or not at one point Aus had the highest GDP in the world (before it was officially a country due to resources) but how Japan has done their business was genius but like you said it wasn't sustainable their growth. I am hoping countries do a Dubai approach and invest in other sectors before their primary shuts down - they are lucky as their a massive transport hub. GW might ruin Japan's exports, however they're trying to invest in raising every port (about 1000 of them) up by at least 1 metre so it won't be underwater by 2100.

GW has been escalated by us its obvious, the problem is that most of our populations around the world is on the coast and its the poor countries which will be hit. The first expected to go is a country called Tuvalu were the avg height of land is 0.5 metres above sea level and thats expect to go by 2040ish.

I personally think a recession might be in the worlds best interest, across the board people are working far too long hours, prices are getting ridiculously high and unaffordable. We need to be set down to something reasonable, though i am not in value of everyone losing jobs.
    You said so much I have no idea where to begin. I didn't know that Japan was going through a fresh nuclear crises. I think Australia would be much more tuned into the events in Asia then in the States. It is quite a shame that all of this is happening in Japan because they have such a shortage of energy in the first place, but nuclear accidents must strike a certain kind of fear in the Japanese like no other since they are the only people on earth to know what it is like to have an Atomic bombs dropped on you. I have always kind of been in favor of nuclear energy since I think it is less harmful than the alternative -- burning fossil fuels -- but there is the question of the waste and accidents. It kind of reminds me of the Bob Marley song "Redemption Song" which I always felt was a commentary that we can't protect ourselves from nuclear accidents, but I guess he might have been referencing his own cancer.

It is very interesting that Australia had the highest GDP if it is based on natural resources. It makes sense. It is sort of like saying the employees of a bank are the richest people in the world. I imagine Australia of being a land vast and full or resources, not too mention that your coastline must be one of the longest in the world. I guess history is littered with resource-rich countries becoming poor if they don't somehow diversify. I've always been wanting to ask an Australian, aren't Australians a bit nervous with China's rise since it is so close? I think China is energy and resource poor, or if not, then if you factor in their population of a billion plus, they are. The world quite possibly might have moved past military adventurism like we knew in the 20th century and before, but Australia would seem like a tempting prize to the Chinese if they ever built an army, navy, and air force that rivaled or exceeded the US and then the country's leaders turned ambitious.

I can't cover everything you mentioned because I'm running out of juice, but sadly recessions do help GW since energy consumption decreases. I did not know that as early as 2040 a nation could disappear due to rising sea levels. There must be a lot of island nations in the Indian Ocean as Pacific facing similar fates. I've heard mention of Diego Garcia and the Seychelles as being in danger. Lastly I'll say is I just don't think there are enough jobs for everybody based on our current economic model. Something has to give, but there just aren't jobs for all able bodied adults, and trying to figure out what the solution is WAY above my pay grade.
    05-07-2013 08:44 PM
    I have 4 grandchildren. 3 are in school. The oldest 2 have been bullied in school and on the bus. Now I know bullying has been around forever, but to me, it seems to be more ruthless and relentless than ever. Their mother, my daughter, was bullied when she was younger, including by a teacher in 2nd grade. So now, she doesn't take any crap from anyone and teaches her children the same. I agree that as a people, we have become desensitized, and it makes it easier to bully/attack someone.

I don't know what the answer is, I do know that I fear for the future generations and the future of civilized society in general. And I'm not THAT old.

I wish every single kid had an older brother with them at all times.
    msndrstood likes this.
    05-07-2013 08:53 PM
    I have 4 grandchildren. 3 are in school. The oldest 2 have been bullied in school and on the bus. Now I know bullying has been around forever, but to me, it seems to be more ruthless and relentless than ever.
    I think the fact that there isn't a real escape from others contributes to the relentlessness of bullying. With the internet and Facebook/twitter its hard for a kid to escape from a determined bully. However I also believe that people as a whole are more understanding/caring of others than ever before. With the internet we can learn about people who may be suffering and help them with support

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    05-07-2013 09:04 PM
    Their nuclear issues is basically their old issues having leaks which could be too much to contain, hopefully it works out. We are pretty tuned into Asia as since were nearby and a economy is dependant on them buying our resources as our main industries is services then resources and our services basically just rides of resources. I am pretty interested to see if geothermal energy becomes big as well as wave, solar and wind.

I've always been wanting to ask an Australian, aren't Australians a bit nervous with China's rise since it is so close? I can probably say its fair to state that over here we really have no concern with the rise of China, but in fact are encouraging them to grow. Its often showed on the news every night concern about them slowing down as they are one of the largest importers of Australian Resources. Mainly for our iron ore and coal.

I think China is energy and resource poor, or if not, then if you factor in their population of a billion plus, they are. The world quite possibly might have moved past military adventurism like we knew in the 20th century and before, but Australia would seem like a tempting prize to the Chinese if they ever built an army, navy, and air force that rivaled or exceeded the US and then the country's leaders turned ambitious.

I've only ever seen one news article about the expansion of the Chinese military, I would agree for a GDP due to their population they are pretty poor. They do have some resources (and a lot of illegal mines) but they are running a shortage of them and are a great business partner. I think there isn't a fear as my state's premier meets with Chinese Authorities all the time to negotiate deals (as our state as the most resources) and our Prime Minister (president basically) had trips to China to talk about their ambitions particularly about North Korea and how they are going to be silenced.

I would say its safe to say that we're in a good state with Asia even though we've had a military presence in Vietnam etc. To the most part it has been a welcomed presence with Papua New Guinea, with its civil war being broken up by an Australian take over and release. There has been treaties offered to Australia by the South Asia (not china though) but was refused to due it could interfere with our treaties with New Zealand, United States and the United Kingdom.

I wish every single kid had an older brother with them at all times.
    Going through high school with older siblings helped to some extent, I had to expectation to do some sports (from staff and students) but that was ok i enjoyed the sport. I didnt have the expectation to be a genius which was ok! One downside is kids in the years below them would try to start arguments saying they would try to beat them up (but they were too skinny kids) and I always had older boys looking after me through sport. So best advice if you don't have older siblings find some older mates!
    jdbii likes this.
    05-09-2013 02:28 AM
    I can't comment on much that you have questioned, but I will throw in my two cents regarding foreign policy. I think its due time the US stops putting their nose where it doesn't belong. Since desert storm, we have occupied Iraq, and later Afghanistan, with no clear motive other than "destroy the insurgents, reform the government." Hundreds of thousand of people have been killed in this mindless conqeust, while hundreds of thousands of people continue to die on US soil from wars waged at home. Discrimination, drugs, homelessness, murder, rape, the list goes on. We are no longer fighting terrorist trained to kill US soldiers and citizens. We are fighting citizens who want nothing more than for us to leave their homeland. We are spending billions and billions of dollars on a conquest that will never be achieved. Look at the establishment of Iraq two days after US troops were pulled out. Wars are beneficial to the economy, when they end and the country in question has time to rebuild themselves. We are subjecting ourselves to war after war, deteriorating our economy even further while subjectively giving these countries billions of dollars. The US is in enough debt as it is. It is time for us to bring our soldiers home and focus on what the US really needs. A healing period. Time for business to flourish and for the economy to even out.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
    Fairclough, Aquila and jdbii like this.
    05-09-2013 02:54 AM
    I agree, sometimes countries need to stay out of foreign lands. In some cases I view it is is necessary e.g in the case of PNG and East Timor, needing foreign troops to stop the blood bath / overthrow from indonesia. The middle east however does seem like a lost war and cause, whether the citizen hate or require foreign intervention I am uncertain of. War stimulates economy with the manufacturing of arms, but there should be a way non war to stimulate - the british took this approach awhile ago. They figured if creating war built economy, serving the public could as well. Hence their super expensive to the government health system which is essentially free to the general public.
    05-09-2013 06:17 AM