06-06-2013 02:20 PM
181 1234 ...
tools
    I SAID I CAN'T STAND HYPOCRITES!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????

Come one, come all, hop on the Lllllllama Bandwagon! FREE POPCORN!!! You'll need it! (bring your own shampoo)
    I'm sorry, I can't hear you through the sound of someone yelling!

I too, hate hypocrites.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Lendo likes this.
    05-23-2013 06:43 PM
    Did someone say "Ancient Aliens"......................I love that show! I dig this guys "do"....
    It's an interesting show.

They'll show you something from 3000 B.C., give you their theory on it and you'll say, ya maybe.

Then they'll show you something else from 3000 B.C., give you their theory on it and you'll say, that's pretty far fetched. I doubt it.

Then they'll show you something else from 3000 B.C., like a design cut into a rock, and professional stone cutters will examine the cut under a microscope and compare it to all other stone cutting methods and their only conclusion is it's a match to a cut made by a powerful laser. That makes you think and say wow!
    jdbii and msndrstood like this.
    05-23-2013 11:35 PM
    Ahh... That's my biggest pet peeve... Hypocrites. Can't stand them, can't stand them, can't stand them.

Come one, come all, hop on the Lllllllama Bandwagon! FREE POPCORN!!! You'll need it! (bring your own shampoo)
    Yup yup!
    05-23-2013 11:49 PM
    Why is he always "found" there?

Why do people tend to do whatever it is that they want to do, without fear of consequence, and then suddenly become religious believers when they're trapped behind bars like a rat? How genuine can they possibly be? What are the chances that they've really changed for the better?

I've wondered this too. Sort of like "fair weather fans," I guess. Perhaps I should ask my friend who's a Correctional Officer. But great question.
    I've found that most people in prison who find Christ are really looking for a reason to live, something to hold on to. They've lost all of their other basic rights, right to religion is one that they cannot lose. It gives you a lot of time to reflect back on who you've been and what you've done, and what you could have done differently. While I'm sure that many are not genuine, you only have to look at the statistics for repeat offenders, some of them really are.
    That's probably pretty accurate.
    05-23-2013 11:52 PM

Why do people tend to do whatever it is that they want to do, without fear of consequence, and then suddenly become religious believers when they're trapped behind bars like a rat? How genuine can they possibly be? What are the chances that they've really changed for the better?

If there was 100% certainty of being caught and punished, there would be fear of consequences. Simply make the cost greater than the benefits.
    05-24-2013 06:50 AM
    I think about things in an abstract mathematical way, even philosophy and I find that most things that I'm thinking about are really attempts resolving the same equation by various means, and calling the variables by different names. This though process applies to politics, engineering, business strategy, math, android, whatever. Let's just say my brain is broken and it doesn't work the way yours does. I understand some thing that most people never can, and I don't understand many things that you find common place. My sister and my oldest daughter are both strongly on the autism spectrum and, while I am not, I definitely do not think "normally". I'm not sure if that is relevant, but I think you guys have seen it a little in my posts and it might help frame where I'm coming from.

I was raised catholic as well, and ever since I read the bible for the first time myself, I have not believed a word of it. Not one word. I do believe some of the events happened, but they're not described accurately and many I find must have happened many thousands of years before the context permits them to. I did spend a lot of time thinking and studying to attempt to reconcile reality with the possibility that there are underlying truths hidden within the bible, perhaps expressed allegorically, etc.... but there are not. There are some broken aspects of the "ancient mysteries" hidden within it, obvious mathematical symbolism, etc. mostly coming out of Egyptian and Sumerian culture, but nothing can not be discovered independently That's the key. If religion, organized mass teaching of metaphysical realities for the purposes of shaping and regulating morality, had value, the revelations contained therein would be verifiable only through a spiritual encounter, but they would be verifiable and they'd likely be universal.

Seeking universal truths, such as physics, in religion is a tempting venture because of the intrinsic psychological similarities between belief structures across the planet. At first I believed, like the ancient aliens proponents, that it was possible that they all believed very similar accounts of the distant past because of a common experience shared by the ancestors of all cultures. Perhaps they were all describing the same things to the best ability of their language, and over thousands of years, like the telephone game, it became garbled. In some instances this is obviously true, such as the many thousand accounts of a catastrophic flood.

The more I studied it, the more some of the more peculiar stories became unmasked, showing their true origins to be teachings shaped solely for the purpose of control. A study of the actual "morals" of the bible will teach any philosopher or theologian that the leaders and shapers of culture during that period were extremely short sighted, manipulative and cruel in their application of "morality". Many of the false extreme choices that tiny minded geniuses that fill the comments of Facebook threads demonstrate this same mentality. The paradoxes presented in the writings are the reason that "faith" is a virtue in religion, and "thinking" and "questioning" are not.

In studying physics, especially quantum theory and cosmology, I differ in my opinions of God than a vast majority of those employed in the field. As many as 84-92%, depending on the study, of top level scientists in the US are atheists, professing certainty that God, or gods, are not real. The other 10-16% may believe in superior beings that would appear to us as gods, but are not actually the creators of the universe, etc, they may be deists, and a tiny percentage practice cognitive dissonance and do not use religion in their theories, but privately have faith and practice their religion.

The reasons are simple: 1. The paradox of who/what created God? 2. The existence of God at the beginning of spacetime, being what we would all agree upon as being a vastly more complex and superior being to us, is contrary to all of the observable laws of the universe, in which all things start off very simply and grow more complex over vast stretches of time. 3. The existence of God, true or not, is not necessary for the rest of the laws of the universe to function. It becomes an academic and trivial question, as the actual science just works regardless of the answer. It's fun to ponder, but utterly useless. Intelligent design is a nonsense cop-out and I wish they'd choose one form of delusional certainty or the other.

For those reasons the vast majority of scientists, without having any evidence for the existence of God, will defer to the likelihood that it does not exist, while many others will say that the probability of existence is low, but an unknown quantity. I am not an atheist because I am certain of nothing, and I am not an agnostic because I'm not hedging my bets. I do not have faith in god, because faith is one of the biggest betrayals of logic that a person can commit. Trust and faith are very different concepts in both a philosophical and practical sense. Therefore, I do not blindly believe that God exists, but intellectually, from a probability standpoint, based on the patterns that I see unfolding, and with as much understanding of physics as I can muster, I think if we search for it, we will find God... or something so close to the same thing that the only distinction will be academic. I have no proof nor formula that indicates nor needs god, as an entity or mathematical variable or law, to exist. If I have God in an equation, it does nothing at all to the result.

I do not believe in a god that mettles in people's daily lives, nor one that created the universe. I do believe that we can extrapolate from many phenomena observed in quantum theory that the relationship between perception and reality, consciousness and collective consciousness, the actual scientific theories behind possible paranormal concepts, that the universe holds secrets we can only dream of and many of those secrets might only exist because we dream. Even the most simple of theories, the many worlds theory, provides mathematical certainty that what is sought can be found, even if you (your mind in this instant) is not the entity to interact with the observation.

What are you? Are you the collection of protons and electrons surrounding the vast cloud of empty space that electronically interfaces with similar electrons? They are replaced constantly. Are you the energy exchanges that bind spacetime in that relative area, merely a transactional discharge due to proximity, controlled by reflection and relativity? Are you your mind? If so, the matter or the electricity flowing through it, causing the molecules to result in though. Are you real? Everything in our universe is literally made of the same "stardust" particles, being recycled and reformed in new compounds, shedding a particle here, gaining one there, evolving.

I believe in math; I see it and breathe it. The one thing I am most afraid of, is that I'll solve the equation. I suspect that the result is that, if there is a God, of any real kind, not merely a being who we comprehend less than an amoeba comprehends us, a true God, then God is Math. I know this won't make sense to anyone else but I felt compelled to write it out.

I am sincerely not telling anyone that their beliefs are wrong, because how would I know? I'm just sharing my opinion about my beliefs and I value your right to believe whatever you want, be it Thor, Svarasvati or the Purple Unicorn. I do despise religion, as an organizing brainwashing political force, or any of the above. I don't admire blind faith, but I do respect people who are trying to figure it out; dreaming and thinking about the possibilities. I hope no one took offense to this, I honestly just wanted to write it down.

I'm willing to argue any of the logical or philosophical questions in a respectful way with anyone who wants to debate about religious substance, but just like I am not trying to attack; I'm not going to be attacked on this one. We're not even speaking the same language and my inability to articulate is not an excuse for us to be uncivil to each other.

-Confused Wallaby
    palandri, jdbii, badbrad17 and 1 others like this.
    05-24-2013 07:04 AM
    I'd like to paraphrase my post: My brain is freaking broken.
    palandri, jdbii and badbrad17 like this.
    05-24-2013 07:17 AM
    @NothingIsTrue What you said makes a lot sense to me, but you could have simplified it into a few bullet points. Is one religion right and the other wrong? I don't know and neither do you, so you're open minded. I've known a few atheist and they do have faith and do believe in something. They have faith in science. Everything they believe in can be scientifically proven.
    Blaize19 likes this.
    05-24-2013 07:26 AM
    @NothingIsTrue What you said makes a lot sense to me, but you could have simplified it into a few bullet points. Is one religion right and the other wrong? I don't know and neither do you, so you're open minded. I've known a few atheist and they do have faith and do believe in something. They have faith in science. Everything they believe in can be scientifically proven.
    Sorry, the 2nd post was the bulleted summary.

I'd like to paraphrase my post: My brain is freaking broken.
    palandri and badbrad17 like this.
    05-24-2013 07:32 AM
    I think about things in an abstract mathematical way, even philosophy and I find that most things that I'm thinking about are really attempts resolving the same equation by various means, and calling the variables by different names. This though process applies to politics, engineering, business strategy, math, android, whatever. Let's just say my brain is broken and it doesn't work the way yours does. I understand some thing that most people never can, and I don't understand many things that you find common place. My sister and my oldest daughter are both strongly on the autism spectrum and, while I am not, I definitely do not think "normally". I'm not sure if that is relevant, but I think you guys have seen it a little in my posts and it might help frame where I'm coming from.

I was raised catholic as well, and ever since I read the bible for the first time myself, I have not believed a word of it. Not one word. I do believe some of the events happened, but they're not described accurately and many I find must have happened many thousands of years before the context permits them to. I did spend a lot of time thinking and studying to attempt to reconcile reality with the possibility that there are underlying truths hidden within the bible, perhaps expressed allegorically, etc.... but there are not. There are some broken aspects of the "ancient mysteries" hidden within it, obvious mathematical symbolism, etc. mostly coming out of Egyptian and Sumerian culture, but nothing can not be discovered independently That's the key. If religion, organized mass teaching of metaphysical realities for the purposes of shaping and regulating morality, had value, the revelations contained therein would be verifiable only through a spiritual encounter, but they would be verifiable and they'd likely be universal.

Seeking universal truths, such as physics, in religion is a tempting venture because of the intrinsic psychological similarities between belief structures across the planet. At first I believed, like the ancient aliens proponents, that it was possible that they all believed very similar accounts of the distant past because of a common experience shared by the ancestors of all cultures. Perhaps they were all describing the same things to the best ability of their language, and over thousands of years, like the telephone game, it became garbled. In some instances this is obviously true, such as the many thousand accounts of a catastrophic flood.

The more I studied it, the more some of the more peculiar stories became unmasked, showing their true origins to be teachings shaped solely for the purpose of control. A study of the actual "morals" of the bible will teach any philosopher or theologian that the leaders and shapers of culture during that period were extremely short sighted, manipulative and cruel in their application of "morality". Many of the false extreme choices that tiny minded geniuses that fill the comments of Facebook threads demonstrate this same mentality. The paradoxes presented in the writings are the reason that "faith" is a virtue in religion, and "thinking" and "questioning" are not.

In studying physics, especially quantum theory and cosmology, I differ in my opinions of God than a vast majority of those employed in the field. As many as 84-92%, depending on the study, of top level scientists in the US are atheists, professing certainty that God, or gods, are not real. The other 10-16% may believe in superior beings that would appear to us as gods, but are not actually the creators of the universe, etc, they may be deists, and a tiny percentage practice cognitive dissonance and do not use religion in their theories, but privately have faith and practice their religion.

The reasons are simple: 1. The paradox of who/what created God? 2. The existence of God at the beginning of spacetime, being what we would all agree upon as being a vastly more complex and superior being to us, is contrary to all of the observable laws of the universe, in which all things start off very simply and grow more complex over vast stretches of time. 3. The existence of God, true or not, is not necessary for the rest of the laws of the universe to function. It becomes an academic and trivial question, as the actual science just works regardless of the answer. It's fun to ponder, but utterly useless. Intelligent design is a nonsense cop-out and I wish they'd choose one form of delusional certainty or the other.

For those reasons the vast majority of scientists, without having any evidence for the existence of God, will defer to the likelihood that it does not exist, while many others will say that the probability of existence is low, but an unknown quantity. I am not an atheist because I am certain of nothing, and I am not an agnostic because I'm not hedging my bets. I do not have faith in god, because faith is one of the biggest betrayals of logic that a person can commit. Trust and faith are very different concepts in both a philosophical and practical sense. Therefore, I do not blindly believe that God exists, but intellectually, from a probability standpoint, based on the patterns that I see unfolding, and with as much understanding of physics as I can muster, I think if we search for it, we will find God... or something so close to the same thing that the only distinction will be academic. I have no proof nor formula that indicates nor needs god, as an entity or mathematical variable or law, to exist. If I have God in an equation, it does nothing at all to the result.

I do not believe in a god that mettles in people's daily lives, nor one that created the universe. I do believe that we can extrapolate from many phenomena observed in quantum theory that the relationship between perception and reality, consciousness and collective consciousness, the actual scientific theories behind possible paranormal concepts, that the universe holds secrets we can only dream of and many of those secrets might only exist because we dream. Even the most simple of theories, the many worlds theory, provides mathematical certainty that what is sought can be found, even if you (your mind in this instant) is not the entity to interact with the observation.

What are you? Are you the collection of protons and electrons surrounding the vast cloud of empty space that electronically interfaces with similar electrons? They are replaced constantly. Are you the energy exchanges that bind spacetime in that relative area, merely a transactional discharge due to proximity, controlled by reflection and relativity? Are you your mind? If so, the matter or the electricity flowing through it, causing the molecules to result in though. Are you real? Everything in our universe is literally made of the same "stardust" particles, being recycled and reformed in new compounds, shedding a particle here, gaining one there, evolving.

I believe in math; I see it and breathe it. The one thing I am most afraid of, is that I'll solve the equation. I suspect that the result is that, if there is a God, of any real kind, not merely a being who we comprehend less than an amoeba comprehends us, a true God, then God is Math. I know this won't make sense to anyone else but I felt compelled to write it out.

I am sincerely not telling anyone that their beliefs are wrong, because how would I know? I'm just sharing my opinion about my beliefs and I value your right to believe whatever you want, be it Thor, Svarasvati or the Purple Unicorn. I do despise religion, as an organizing brainwashing political force, or any of the above. I don't admire blind faith, but I do respect people who are trying to figure it out; dreaming and thinking about the possibilities. I hope no one took offense to this, I honestly just wanted to write it down.

I'm willing to argue any of the logical or philosophical questions in a respectful way with anyone who wants to debate about religious substance, but just like I am not trying to attack; I'm not going to be attacked on this one. We're not even speaking the same language and my inability to articulate is not an excuse for us to be uncivil to each other.

-Confused Wallaby
    Wow. That was brilliant.

You summed up everything much better than I ever could. Word finding doesn't come easy for me some days and is very frustrating, but you did it for me on this one. We could have some great conversations.

I am fascinated at the fervor that people will exhibit to maintain the status quo with respect to religion. Even when presented with conflicting facts, they will adamantly stand their ground on principal rather than step back and sift through the information in order to find the truth on their own rather than be told what to believe.

Kinda like the Samsung S4 vs HTC One debate.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    palandri likes this.
    05-24-2013 07:33 AM
    Wow, NothingIsTrue, that's a great post! As soon as i have some time, i'll have to respond to it.

Thanks

msndrstood likes this.
    05-24-2013 07:35 AM
    Is one religion right and the other wrong?
    Doesn't each religion say that they're right, and other religions are wrong?
    palandri and Aquila like this.
    05-24-2013 07:35 AM
    Wow. That was brilliant.

You summed up everything much better than I ever could. Word finding doesn't come easy for me some days and is very frustrating, but you did it for me on this one. We could have some great conversations.

I am fascinated at the fervor that people will exhibit to maintain the status quo with respect to religion. Even when presented with conflicting facts, they will adamantly stand their ground on principal rather than step back and sift through the information in order to find the truth on their own rather than be told what to believe.

Kinda like the Samsung S4 vs HTC One debate.

via Gnex
    Yeah, I realize this might not be the right thread for it, but it was the first time I saw a civil discussion that included religion here. I haven't read what came out yet.

I have heard some interesting statements about the percentage of people, who when presented with scientific evidence that contradicts a tenant of their faith, they will choose to believe their faith rather than the evidence. I personally find that demeaning to their faith, but apparently they see it as somehow substantiating it. Like Joe Pesci says, "who the &&&& knows?" Maybe they're 100% right and we're misreading evidence or maybe our current scientific tools and thought processes are incapable of measuring the metaphysical with meaningful results. *shrug* As you can see, I suck at finding the right words too. Someone smarter could have said what I said in like 5 sentences. I kind of just let my fingers go wild for a couple minutes and probably try to add too much context.
    msndrstood and palandri like this.
    05-24-2013 07:39 AM
    Yeah, I realize this might not be the right thread for it, but it was the first time I saw a civil discussion that included religion here. I haven't read what came out yet.

I have heard some interesting statements about the percentage of people, who when presented with scientific evidence that contradicts a tenant of their faith, they will choose to believe their faith rather than the evidence. I personally find that demeaning to their faith, but apparently they see it as somehow substantiating it. Like Joe Pesci says, "who the &&&& knows?" Maybe they're 100% right and we're misreading evidence or maybe our current scientific tools and thought processes are incapable of measuring the metaphysical with meaningful results. *shrug* As you can see, I suck at finding the right words too. Someone smarter could have said what I said in like 5 sentences. I kind of just let my fingers go wild for a couple minutes and probably try to add too much context.
    Actually I thought it was pretty succinct, it's not a topic of few words. If it were, we'd be on the religious end of the spectrum, you know... I believe. End of story.

Instead, we choose to think deeper, question more and search for the truth in many places using whatever methods necessary to get closer to The Truth instead of blindly and passively absorbing what we are told is the truth.

Sheeple we are not. And that makes a lot of people angry.

via Gnex
    palandri and Blaize19 like this.
    05-24-2013 07:55 AM
    Doesn't each religion say that they're right, and other religions are wrong?
    Good question. Some do, but do all the different sects follow that? I don't know.
    05-24-2013 08:01 AM
    Good question. Some do, but do all the different sects follow that? I don't know.
    I'm honestly not sure. I just know that the Roman Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Muslims, among others I am sure, all claim to be the "right" religion. I don't mean to "pick-on" those three religions, but they were the first three that popped into my mind. I hope I don't offend anyone.
    palandri likes this.
    05-24-2013 09:09 AM
    I'm honestly not sure. I just know that the Roman Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Muslims, among others I am sure, all claim to be the "right" religion. I don't mean to "pick-on" those three religions, but they were the first three that popped into my mind. I hope I don't offend anyone.
    Well of they didn't think they were "right", it wouldn't make sense for them to be what they think they are. It would just be a waste of time.

05-25-2013 04:49 AM

It's ths shorter path to parole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    05-25-2013 08:45 AM
    The words of Christ comfort those that are suffering. He is present always. You can reject him or receive him in your heart.
    The choice is yours. If you do reject him he does not have you killed or beheaded, just sayin'.

I find that the influence of man has been the biggest problem with religious faith.
    Man corrupts even the purest thoughts often for personal gain or for political advantage.

I remain true to my Catholic faith despite the fact that the influence of man has allowed it
    to be infiltrated by homosexual pedophiles. The words and deeds of Christ are what I believe in.
    05-25-2013 09:10 AM

GREAT answer!

msndrstood likes this.
    05-25-2013 09:15 AM
    The words of Christ comfort those that are suffering. He is present always. You can reject him or receive him in your heart.
    The choice is yours. If you do reject him he does not have you killed or beheaded, just sayin'.

I find that the influence of man has been the biggest problem with religious faith.
    Man corrupts even the purest thoughts often for personal gain or for political advantage.

I remain true to my Catholic faith despite the fact that the influence of man has allowed it
    to be infiltrated by homosexual pedophiles. The words and deeds of Christ are what I believe in.
    Also a great answer.

05-25-2013 09:16 AM
    Well of they didn't think they were "right", it wouldn't make sense for them to be what they think they are. It would just be a waste of time.

True story!

Possibly. Or there's no other books available to read, so they read the Bible out of boredom?
    GREAT answer!

And probably not far off! I ran into my friend who's a Correctional earlier today at a restaurant. I told him I asked him about this subject. He really didn't have an answer other than its something to tell the judge. However he did say to watch out for the Muslims in jails and prisons, because they are, essentially, a gang. I have no clue if this is true for everywhere, or not.
    05-25-2013 10:09 PM
    I started out Protestant, but like several here, I couldn't stop asking those pesky questions. However, I haven't become atheist, or fully agnostic. I think there's more behind the curtain than mere hypocrisy.
    I would recommend the book "The Laughing Jesus" by Gandy and Frekke, it answers a few questions, and asks a few of it's own, while shedding light on what's been going on back there, and why it seems to be so popular.

Posted via Android Central App
    Aquila likes this.
    05-25-2013 10:46 PM
    I started out Protestant, but like several here, I couldn't stop asking those pesky questions. However, I haven't become atheist, or fully agnostic. I think there's more behind the curtain than mere hypocrisy.
    I would recommend the book "The Laughing Jesus" by Gandy and Frekke, it answers a few questions, and asks a few of it's own, while shedding light on what's been going on back there, and why it seems to be so popular.

Posted via Android Central App
    To be clear, I think religion is false, not the possibility of there being more to the story than what's observed.

Basically the parts where the oral tradition of people in the bronze age being transcribed and edited for political reasons, then entering a viscous cycle of mistranslation and incorrect interpretation. The most honest answer to, "do you believe in God" can't be answered wrong or right, or at least we'll likely never know if one person or another was correct.

So, I'll never question a person's sincerity of beliefs; what I will challenge is their right to push those beliefs onto others who have different beliefs. We would mercilessly ridicule someone who said they believe hurricanes are the fury of Poseidon in 2013. In 4014 (assuming people are alive), what will they ridicule as primitive? All interesting to think about, but nothing worth fighting for
    05-25-2013 11:03 PM
    @NIT and @msundrstood, thanks for sharing all that. Others too of course, but really interesting personal accounts.

I'm not religious at all, but I suppose I am Catholic if being baptized Catholic and not doing much else still makes me Catholic. I know that nobody was saying otherwise, but in today's secular world I see the church and organized religion as one of the last places where manners, decency, morals, charity, love, respect, forgiveness, and helping the needy, poor, and sick takes place and is taught.

I know that the church is full of all kinds of hypocrites and deviants as well as claiming moral superiority as the word of Christ or whatever, but maybe because I was never a victim and I don't see morals being taught anywhere else, as well as all the faith based charities, I see the church largely as a force of good. Again, I'm not suggesting anyone was insinuating otherwise, but I wanted to put my two cents in.

Nexus 7 via Android Central App
    05-26-2013 02:43 AM
181 1234 ...