06-06-2013 02:20 PM
181 ... 45678
tools
    Unjust incarceration and/or sentencing doesn't HAVE to be another thread. I just thought it would be a good subject FOR a thread.
    Now I really hosed it all up. Sorry for deleting the post, but Jennifer replied and my post is there.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-02-2013 06:52 PM
    Sorry lol.

And the guy was killed during an attempted robbery. The guy who went to jail for supposedly killing him, was he the one who attempted the robbery? The article linked says he was let out because of mishaps in the trial process, not because of lack of evidence. Whether he was the one who attempted the robbery really works my point. If he was involved in the robbery but not the murder, the sentence was unjust, but not the imprisonment.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    jdbii likes this.
    06-02-2013 09:06 PM
    My sister swears she didn't do the crime she was accused of. But she's guilty by association. I love my sister, no doubt about it, but whether or not she pulled the trigger doesn't matter to me. That's the thing, there really aren't unjust imprisonments. Maybe unjust sentences.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    There are certainly unjust imprisonments. Reference the Peggy Hetrrick case, Ft. Collins CO for one such example. Each year we read about more cases where previously unavailable DNA testing has exonerated imprisoned citizens. Although few in number, let's not forget that it can, and does, happen.

And I would guess for these poor folks, a belief system would be one avenue to escape insanity.

Posted via Android Central App
    jdbii likes this.
    06-02-2013 09:12 PM
    Now I really hosed it all up. Sorry for deleting the post, but Jennifer replied and my post is there.
    It's okay, i don't have any problem with either of you.

badbrad17 and jdbii like this.
    06-02-2013 09:16 PM
    There are certainly unjust imprisonments. Reference the Peggy Hetrrick case, Ft. Collins CO for one such example. Each year we read about more cases where previously unavailable DNA testing has exonerated imprisoned citizens. Although few in number, let's not forget that it can, and does, happen.

And I would guess for these poor folks, a belief system would be one avenue to escape insanity.

Yes, in cases such as those, a belief system is surely understandable.

06-02-2013 09:19 PM

You may be right. I didn't mean to say that there certainly wasn't ever unjust imprisonments. Just that most of the time they are not unjust. Take a crime from my home town, for instance. The west Memphis three. I have no clue if they were guilty or not, but they were certainly let out after 18 years.

jdbii likes this.
    06-02-2013 09:20 PM
    Sorry lol.

And the guy was killed during an attempted robbery. The guy who went to jail for supposedly killing him, was he the one who attempted the robbery? The article linked says he was let out because of mishaps in the trial process, not because of lack of evidence. Whether he was the one who attempted the robbery really works my point. If he was involved in the robbery but not the murder, the sentence was unjust, but not the imprisonment.

Jennifer, you are 100 percent right about proving your point that the sentence was unjust, but not the imprisonment.

I have to be honest -- being the partisan I am a bit quick to jump to wrong conclusion. The guy wasn't innocent he was involved in a robbery. An innocent bystander was murdered. The whole case is quite complicated, and everyone's credibility was questionable. This is a pretty good account of what happened but is quite complicated. Exoneration Case Detail
    Jennifer Stough likes this.
    06-03-2013 01:42 PM
    Doing something to end up in prison is a choice.

Nobody has to go through that. It is a choice.

Precisely!
    06-03-2013 09:45 PM
    First of all I would like to apologise in advance if this seems rude, however it is meant to be factual. I was sitting in bed, reading on my mobile and I thought I would have to correct some common misbeliefs.

In no way or form am I solid believer, I am baptised a Catholic went to a private boys catholic college were we had to learn the subject and how it relates with society. I believe there is a God Yes, but Whether that is from Christianity or another religion I do not know or care simple as that. I only attend church on major events. I am not a practising catholic however, Ive had years of study on the theory I can almost recall documents line for line. From a few years I found some staff were very open about their knowledge as firm believers or similar views to myself and those with PHD's in the area, informed us of information not commonly known due to lets say historical errors or misjudgements.

Okaaaay, if you insist. Wearing a hat in church one day, the next day no hats. 1) No meat on Friday, then okay to eat meat on Friday. 2)Praying for souls in Purgatory, even babies, next day, 'there is no Purgatory'. Where did those people go? Heaven or Hell? 3)Why did the 2nd grade nun marry one of her student's father and show up at Mass with her new found family?
    I will try and fire through this as quickly as possible. Hence in your Qoute I have put numbers in which corresponds to my answers.

1) Luxuries like meat are often given up for special events, in this case it was for Jesus. Similar to how the Jew's wouldn't eat certain groups, Jesus was a Jew there is nothing wrong with that However there is believed to be other reasoning behind this. It was believed to be limited to one friday, however, this is in accordance to a staff member who seems very devoted and educated. He told me that there is a belief that the Pope at one stage was black mailed by a group (as some say the mafia) in Italy and in return the Pope paid up by forcing Christians to eat white meat. You wondering how this would benefit them? They were in control of the fish markets.

Might seam a bit out there but there has been 12 year old Popes in order for the church to pay of debts to extremely wealthy families. Some people bank rolled the church you know, its not all collection. In some circumstances there were two Popes - in short the cardinals claimed an angry mob outside peer pressured them to vote for one of a different ethnicity to Popes prior hence there was a relection.

2)Purgatory is an extremely old teaching, most known for in the bible how jesus open's the gates of heaven am I right? Well over time the understanding has changed due to councils (there not very often last one was in the 20th century and the one before that in the 16th!) Initially there was the belief there was a waiting room till Jesus opened the gates. Then there was the belief only baptised people could go, hence why Children got baptised at birth and the church allowed anyone to baptise someone if they really wanted to and in an emergency FACT ANYONE CAN BAPTISE YOU IF YOU WANT TO BE! Excuse the ramble. Rah rah rah a beliefs got contested then there was Gaudium et Spes in the 20th centrury which debated 10,000 beliefs with spectators from all major denominations. It was determined that anyone could go to heaven, hence Purgatory was revoked basically. There is no hell its just a story, but Purgatory is also described as a place of reflection for those who aren't ready for heaven till they are ready to move on into Heaven e.g admit their wrong doings. We all do stuff wrong.

3) Now for the saucy nun! Depending on your denomination e.g Anglican a priest can marry. For those of a denomination which they cannot marry e.g Catholics, circumstances are taken into account. E.g the head of our old boys lovely bloke pulled out of Priest hood to marry his wife. Turns out wasn't for him. A staff member was Priest however discovered that he wanted to get married later and got married. Your wondering how you can be both married and a priest? Simple the church ignores your ordaining. You are technically both married and ordained but they just don't allow you to act Priestly duties. I expect a similar thing would occur with your nun.

For those wondering the first testament, the part before Jesus is not be taken literal the church admits its just stories to convey a point or message. I forgot who said it but it was a famous catholic he said Christans are no better, then you or me, if not they can be worse they are humans after all.

Because Catholics don't read the Bible. That's what they have priests for.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii
    Four decades out of date, Guardiam Et Spes determined that the documents of the church would be for the all not the priests only, hence why masses changed from Latin to vernacular language of the people. Similar to why Priests now face the crowed during mass rather then having their back to them. This issue was basically intially delt with under the lutheriam reform? Heard of Martin Luther (not martin luther king) anyways Lutherianism is big in Germany, my girlfriends family are, anywho he contested this very belief that only Priest can read the bible he was a priest. He also contested deeds, Broke off and started his own religion based on Catholicism. The church has now corrected their wrong doings and adjusted similar to Martin's beliefs.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-04-2013 08:44 AM
    First of all I would like to apologise in advance if this seems rude, however it is meant to be factual. I was sitting in bed, reading on my mobile and I thought I would have to correct some common misbeliefs.

In no way or form am I solid believer, I am baptised a Catholic went to a private boys catholic college were we had to learn the subject and how it relates with society. I believe there is a God Yes, but Whether that is from Christianity or another religion I do not know or care simple as that. I only attend church on major events. I am not a practising catholic however, Ive had years of study on the theory I can almost recall documents line for line. From a few years I found some staff were very open about their knowledge as firm believers or similar views to myself and those with PHD's in the area, informed us of information not commonly known due to lets say historical errors or misjudgements.

I will try and fire through this as quickly as possible. Hence in your Qoute I have put numbers in which corresponds to my answers.

1) Luxuries like meat are often given up for special events, in this case it was for Jesus. Similar to how the Jew's wouldn't eat certain groups, Jesus was a Jew there is nothing wrong with that However there is believed to be other reasoning behind this. It was believed to be limited to one friday, however, this is in accordance to a staff member who seems very devoted and educated. He told me that there is a belief that the Pope at one stage was black mailed by a group (as some say the mafia) in Italy and in return the Pope paid up by forcing Christians to eat white meat. You wondering how this would benefit them? They were in control of the fish markets.

Might seam a bit out there but there has been 12 year old Popes in order for the church to pay of debts to extremely wealthy families. Some people bank rolled the church you know, its not all collection. In some circumstances there were two Popes - in short the cardinals claimed an angry mob outside peer pressured them to vote for one of a different ethnicity to Popes prior hence there was a relection.

2)Purgatory is an extremely old teaching, most known for in the bible how jesus open's the gates of heaven am I right? Well over time the understanding has changed due to councils (there not very often last one was in the 20th century and the one before that in the 16th!) Initially there was the belief there was a waiting room till Jesus opened the gates. Then there was the belief only baptised people could go, hence why Children got baptised at birth and the church allowed anyone to baptise someone if they really wanted to and in an emergency FACT ANYONE CAN BAPTISE YOU IF YOU WANT TO BE! Excuse the ramble. Rah rah rah a beliefs got contested then there was Gaudium et Spes in the 20th centrury which debated 10,000 beliefs with spectators from all major denominations. It was determined that anyone could go to heaven, hence Purgatory was revoked basically. There is no hell its just a story, but Purgatory is also described as a place of reflection for those who aren't ready for heaven till they are ready to move on into Heaven e.g admit their wrong doings. We all do stuff wrong.

3) Now for the saucy nun! Depending on your denomination e.g Anglican a priest can marry. For those of a denomination which they cannot marry e.g Catholics, circumstances are taken into account. E.g the head of our old boys lovely bloke pulled out of Priest hood to marry his wife. Turns out wasn't for him. A staff member was Priest however discovered that he wanted to get married later and got married. Your wondering how you can be both married and a priest? Simple the church ignores your ordaining. You are technically both married and ordained but they just don't allow you to act Priestly duties. I expect a similar thing would occur with your nun.

For those wondering the first testament, the part before Jesus is not be taken literal the church admits its just stories to convey a point or message. I forgot who said it but it was a famous catholic he said Christans are no better, then you or me, if not they can be worse they are humans after all.

Four decades out of date, Guardiam Et Spes determined that the documents of the church would be for the all not the priests only, hence why masses changed from Latin to vernacular language of the people. Similar to why Priests now face the crowed during mass rather then having their back to them. This issue was basically intially delt with under the lutheriam reform? Heard of Martin Luther (not martin luther king) anyways Lutherianism is big in Germany, my girlfriends family are, anywho he contested this very belief that only Priest can read the bible he was a priest. He also contested deeds, Broke off and started his own religion based on Catholicism. The church has now corrected their wrong doings and adjusted similar to Martin's beliefs.
    I understand all of what you explained, I'm 56, I've spent a lot of time over the years in these discussions. To make a long point short, my problem is that these teachings were taught as doctrine. We were taught that to go against these teachings constituted a sin for which we had to confess once a month to the cursing, drinking priest who would then make everything all better by saying a few words and me having to say 3 Hail Marys and a Lords Prayer. I knew it was all ridiculous by the time I was 12. I can recite verbatim in Latin the entire Mass even today. That's called indoctrination. Once I decided it was a human and not a deity making these rules and laws, that was freedom from the shackles of religion. I don't begrudge a person's belief system, whatever it may be, I just don't appreciate anyone trying to change my views because they think they know the Truth. Their Truth is not my Truth. I believe everyone is entitled to find their own truth, wherever that truth may lead them.

For me it was not found in religion.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    06-04-2013 01:32 PM

As a British subject, and an Anglican, I surmise that you are out of touch with the American "common man" Catholic. They don't.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro...
    06-04-2013 01:57 PM

As a British subject, and an Anglican, I surmise that you are out of touch with the American "common man" Catholic. They don't.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro...
    Was this directed to me?

via Gnex
    06-04-2013 02:19 PM
    I hear people say they don't like Christianity, like bible thumpers, because they get tired of people trying to change their beliefs and having beliefs forced upon them. Yet, in the same breath, will turn around and question someone about their faith and why they believe this and that and try to change the Christians mind.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-04-2013 03:11 PM
    To answer the first post, I admit it is amazing. I think its more of those are you sorry you did something or sorry you got caught?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    06-04-2013 03:17 PM
    I hear people say they don't like Christianity, like bible thumpers, because they get tired of people trying to change their beliefs and having beliefs forced upon them. Yet, in the same breath, will turn around and question someone about their faith and why they believe this and that and try to change the Christians mind.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I don't care what anyone believes, but when it affects those that don't believe because they are pushing their beliefs on others , then it's a problem.

Religion, politics and phones.

Everyone has a choice and their choice doesn't need to be questioned against the status quo, it's just their choice.

It's pretty simple, live and let live. Period.

via Gnex
    Aquila, jdbii and Jennifer Stough like this.
    06-04-2013 03:51 PM
    I don't care what anyone believes, but when it affects those that don't believe because they are pushing their beliefs on others , then it's a problem.

Everyone has a choice and their choice doesn't need to be questioned against the status quo, it's just their choice.

via Gnex
    Yeah religion and phone choice don't matter. Ice cream flavors though.... Let me find my boxing gloves!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-04-2013 03:55 PM
    Yeah religion and phone choice don't matter. Ice cream flavors though.... Let me find my boxing gloves!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Lol, Butter Pecan for me. Vanilla for my husband. Meh.

via Gnex
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-04-2013 04:19 PM
    Lol, Butter Pecan for me. Vanilla for my husband. Meh.

via Gnex
    Started an Ice Cream thread in Politics. I hope it doesn't go badly.
    msndrstood and jdbii like this.
    06-04-2013 04:23 PM
    LOL, i wish i want driving right now lol lol

I think signatures are stupid.
    06-04-2013 04:28 PM
    Let the Flame Wars begin, lol!

via Gnex
    Aquila and jdbii like this.
    06-04-2013 04:51 PM

via Gnex
    I agree. A lot agree on both sides, but their is alot of hypocrisy on both sides too.

As far as the ice cream thing. I agree Lol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Aquila, msndrstood and jdbii like this.
    06-04-2013 04:51 PM

via Gnex
    While I think we should all be able to make our own decisions, the logic behind why we try to communicate our beliefs is to try to continue to find truth. You can say you don't care to listen which is fine, yet here you are on a thread discussing religion and voicing what you believe is true. So regardless of whether you believe or don't believe, you are still communicating the same way as everyone else.

Religion is flawed because it is a product of man. Truth does not contain this flaw. In fact 90% of the negative comments on this thread were towards organized religion. Things like rules and restrictions and fear and lies. Ironically if you were to read the gospel of John and the book of Acts you would get a completely different picture than what the world has constructed in organized religion. Jesus didn't teach all this crap. So why would we continue to act like he did?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that religion in and of itself is bad for everyone. Following the true teachings of Jesus and following God is not. If we all did it the world would be a much better place for everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    06-04-2013 10:11 PM
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that religion in and of itself is bad for everyone.
    Agree.

Following the true teachings of Jesus and following God is not.
    Possibly agree; but there could be a lot of debate here.

If we all did it the world would be a much better place for everyone.
    Unison on any belief structure would make things more peaceful...

When asking are convicts truly finding religion or just seeking solace, I seem to lean towards the idea that they're doing it for selfish reasons; not for a love of humanity or pondering the deeper meaning of their existence and place in the universe.
    06-04-2013 10:31 PM
    Agree.

Possibly agree; but there could be a lot of debate here.

Unison on any belief structure would make things more peaceful...

When asking are convicts truly finding religion or just seeking solace, I seem to lean towards the idea that they're doing it for selfish reasons; not for a love of humanity or pondering the deeper meaning of their existence and place in the universe.
    I'm sure the number of convicts faking their religiousness is far more common than those that aren't, but this doesn't mean that those that have found something good should be mistreated because of the bad Apple's. (see what I did there)

Sent from my Nexus 4
    jdbii and Aquila like this.
    06-04-2013 11:50 PM
    While I think we should all be able to make our own decisions, the logic behind why we try to communicate our beliefs is to try to continue to find truth. You can say you don't care to listen which is fine, yet here you are on a thread discussing religion and voicing what you believe is true. So regardless of whether you believe or don't believe, you are still communicating the same way as everyone else.

Religion is flawed because it is a product of man. Truth does not contain this flaw. In fact 90% of the negative comments on this thread were towards organized religion. Things like rules and restrictions and fear and lies. Ironically if you were to read the gospel of John and the book of Acts you would get a completely different picture than what the world has constructed in organized religion. Jesus didn't teach all this crap. So why would we continue to act like he did?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that religion in and of itself is bad for everyone. Following the true teachings of Jesus and following God is not. If we all did it the world would be a much better place for everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    What?

I haven't said what my beliefs are, just that I don't want anyone pushing theirs on me. So I'm commenting on a religion thread, I also comment on other threads such as the S3, One and N4. I don't have these phones, but I might have an opinion on some aspect of any one of them, so I comment when appropriate.

Just because I comment doesn't mean I'm one of the team, it's just a comment. Isn't that what forums are for?

If I took your post wrong, then I'm sorry, but the tone of it seemed combative, so I commented. ::shrug ::

via Gnex
    met.watts likes this.
    06-05-2013 07:57 AM
181 ... 45678