... since the year 2001, yet how many of us can sincerely say that we feel safer now? I would guess none of us.

Doesn't it always feel that the next breaking news story is just around the corner? Or are you one that has gotten complacent, or just too busy to think about it?

When I stood in Brooklyn and saw the second plane hit the south tower, even after personally witnessing thousands of innocent people dying, the scariest part was 'waiting for the other shoe to drop'.

In the hours following, the worst part was not knowing what was planned for us next and when. We were helpless then. We are helpless now. It is way too easy for something else to happen here in America; so easy, that it feels like it can happen at any time.

Look how easy it is to get killed in a school, a mall, a movie theater. Places all of us use without even thinking about it. We are no safer now, than we were September 10th; the day before our cozy little world changed.

We have not accomplished ANYTHING in regards to our daily safety. I personally don't think we will ever be able to go back to the days before Terror. Do you?

I think it will be with us for the rest of our lives, lives that we hope don't get cut down horrifically in the senseless way that seems to be the norm today.

*On a side-note, SwiftKey tried to change the word TERROR, to TROUT. Good thing I noticed it before hitting submit.

Here's a link to our spending in the 'War on Terror'
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933935.html

Aquila likes this.
    05-29-2013 05:39 PM
    *On a side-note, SwiftKey tried to change the word TERROR, to TROUT. Good thing I noticed it before hitting submit.
    First of all.. that would have been awesome.
    05-29-2013 09:48 PM
    So I can imagine a world in which this is not an issue, or at least not as much of one... but I can't see the road there today. We tend to invent drama, adversaries and enemies because most of humanity is motivated primarily by fear and ignorance, or some clear state directly down stream from fear. In order to overcome this, we need to have a massive reorganization of society, values and resources, as well as a drastic attitude change towards education, contribution and perhaps a nice paradigm shift about our place in the ecosystems of the Earth. I don't see a voluntary shift of that kind happening without a major catastrophe (war, comet, zombies, whatever) to band people together. So I guess I don't see it happening without getting much worse first.

If we could somehow rid the world of mythology and replace it with education; release the battle between greed and jealousy in favor of technological solutions that make both irrelevant... if it was a priority, we could end hunger and poverty tomorrow. Without mythology, greed or jealousy, what's the motivation for war? A world without irrational fears... yeah, we're not ready. People cling to their fears, wear their hatred as a shield and distrust anyone who would ask them to open up and use their minds.
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    05-29-2013 10:04 PM
    First of all.. that would have been awesome.
    I know!
    I couldn't stop laughing to myself.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-29-2013 10:14 PM
    05-29-2013 10:15 PM
    I agree.
    What we need, is to keep ourselves from blindly going down this slippery slope, stop letting things just happen to us. How?
    And here's an understatement: easier said than done.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-30-2013 04:07 AM
    Terrorist will always exist just under a different name. The idea is trying to stay 1 or 2 steps a head to reduce possible carnage. You know Nelson Mandela was considered a terrorist and he was a freedom fighter, its funny how on the other side people view him as a hero.

For how to make things safe I believe I did state how to do it in the gun topic but I suspect there is some biased opinions on both sides.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-04-2013 05:49 PM
    For how to make things safe I believe I did state how to do it in the gun topic but I suspect there is some biased opinions on both sides.

Ok, would you like to reiterate what you said over there?

I think signatures are stupid.
    06-04-2013 05:59 PM
    its funny how on the other side people view him as a hero.

Good and Evil are a point of view....

There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.

Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

But the cat eats the mouse, either way....
    06-04-2013 06:06 PM

lol

Aquila likes this.
    06-04-2013 06:08 PM
    I view nelson as a hero but during oppression he was a villain. Guess times change. What I said you guys might hate, tighten the laws around guns simple. Remove a semi automatic its a lot more difficult to comment a mass shooting. Tighten who gets guns to who needs them, eg farmers only. Make them apply stating why they need them and make them prove they use it for those needs.

We had laws similar put in place after a few massacres and one hasn't happened since. Here you apply for a gun. Ether for basically business purposes e.g farming or rec. If your rec you have to go the range x times a year. You have to provide evidence of it being secured at all times, proof your still using it for your original needs. It simple just doesn't allow those who want it for intimidation. Yeah people will still commit murder if they really want to but it reduces the ease of it. You might say criminals will still try to carry guns on them, only maybe a petty one as the known figures are always subject to searches and they don't want to go to gaol for carrying arms on them or in public

06-04-2013 06:15 PM
    Terrorist will always exist just under a different name. The idea is trying to stay 1 or 2 steps a head to reduce possible carnage. You know Nelson Mandela was considered a terrorist and he was a freedom fighter, its funny how on the other side people view him as a hero.

"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."
    06-06-2013 06:58 PM