Here in the Atlanta area yesterday, a woman was killed when a driver with a known history of seizures crossed a 40' grassy median and hit her vehicle head-on.

It could easily have been my wife's car that he ran into. Why is it legal for somebody that has a history of seizures to drive? Is this right?
    06-01-2013 02:53 PM
    Here in the Atlanta area yesterday, a woman was killed when a driver with a known history of seizures crossed a 40' grassy median and hit her vehicle head-on.

It could easily have been my wife's car that he ran into. Why is it legal for somebody that has a history of seizures to drive? Is this right?
    No. Other than commercial licences, do they ask for this information? I remember them checking vision and asking about whether or not you've done anything that should make you ineligible to have a licence.
    06-01-2013 03:06 PM

Same here. No, it is not right. A car crossing the median like that could easily turn into a 20 car pile up bloodbath. Any chance avoiding a catastrophe like that immediately vanishes if the car that spun out of control is being driven by somebody having a seizure.
    06-01-2013 04:59 PM
    The only question I remember them asking on the license application is if the applicant has ever been declared mentally ill. How can someone truly mentally ill answer that correctly? And nothing at all about seizures, heart attacks, etc..

jdbii likes this.
    06-01-2013 10:19 PM
    Hmm they should make it a joint law across all states that people over the age of 60 or anyone with a potentially dangerous medical history should be reexamined every year to see if they are safe to drive. I think Florida has a law like that and it works wonderfully down there, can someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    06-02-2013 07:04 PM
    Its illegal here. My mate got a seizer in 2007 and its takes I think 5ish years being seizer free and brain scanning every 6 months. All have to be passed to be declared not "ill". Which is fair enough if it can risk another's life.

Every age level in Aus they ask for any medical issues, people could probably lie though besides the eye test.

Posted via Android Central App
    Aquila likes this.
    06-04-2013 05:36 PM
    I'm in the UK and have just turned my licence in due to having had some undiagnosed seizures. If I hadn't done, my GP has the ability to inform them and revoke it. Here, for me to get my licence back, my doctor would need to provide evidence I was fit to drive, & if I was diagnosed with epilepsy I would need to be on meds and seizure free for a year. If you drive here with a medical condition when you shouldn't, its a criminal offence, and just not telling the DVLA can get you a 1000 fine!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
    Aquila likes this.
    06-04-2013 06:10 PM
    I'm in the UK and have just turned my licence in due to having had some undiagnosed seizures. If I hadn't done, my GP has the ability to inform them and revoke it. Here, for me to get my licence back, my doctor would need to provide evidence I was fit to drive, & if I was diagnosed with epilepsy I would need to be on meds and seizure free for a year. If you drive here with a medical condition when you shouldn't, its a criminal offence, and just not telling the DVLA can get you a 1000 fine!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
    Look at the bright side; you really might have saved some lives, including your own. :thumbup:

I think signatures are stupid.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-04-2013 06:15 PM
    I could have sworn in NJ back when I got my permit, provisional, and license that they asked me about any medical issues that would impede my ability to drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    06-04-2013 06:16 PM
    I could have sworn in NJ back when I got my permit, provisional, and license that they asked me about any medical issues that would impede my ability to drive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Maybe they did, but not everyone would answer honestly. Therein lies a secondary problem.

Aquila likes this.
    06-04-2013 06:21 PM
    You would think by this day and age they would have access to it on our profiles

06-04-2013 06:29 PM
    You would think by this day and age they would have access to it on our profiles

They really should.
    It shouldn't come down to whether the applicant is honest or not. If someone really wants (or even needs) to drive, honesty will be hard to find.

Fairclough likes this.
    06-04-2013 06:32 PM
    You would think they would have all our history e.g Criminal, Medical, Driving, International travel etc all in the one sport but restrict what each department can view in the files to what they need. I guess it would take a lot of work digitizer all the old records but it has to be done at some point.
    06-04-2013 07:04 PM
    The only question I remember them asking on the license application is if the applicant has ever been declared mentally ill. How can someone truly mentally ill answer that correctly? And nothing at all about seizures, heart attacks, etc..

When i renewed mine they asked about being declared mentally ill, and being addicted to alcohol and drugs.
    Maybe they did, but not everyone would answer honestly. Therein lies a secondary problem.

You mean people actually lie on official documents? All kidding aside, isn't that a crime?
    Aquila likes this.
    06-04-2013 11:00 PM
    When i renewed mine they asked about being declared mentally ill, and being addicted to alcohol and drugs.

You mean people actually lie on official documents? All kidding aside, isn't that a crime?
    Of course, yes and of course, yes.

Now that i have some quite and can think clearer about when i applied for a driver's license in FL a few years ago when i moved there for a short time, i can remember that the question was oral. The DMV worker said he had to ask if i've "ever been declared mentally ill or incapacitated?" I laughed and said to him, "Only by my wife!"

LOL

Aquila likes this.
    06-05-2013 02:36 AM
    Of course, yes and of course, yes.

Now that i have some quite and can think clearer about when i applied for a driver's license in FL a few years ago when i moved there for a short time, i can remember that the question was oral. The DMV worker said he had to ask if i've "ever been declared mentally ill or incapacitated?" I laughed and said to him, "Only by my wife!"

LOL

I'd love to know what the guy said!
    06-05-2013 12:54 PM
    I'd love to know what the guy said!
    He just smirked.
    He didn't seem to have much of a sense of humor.

06-05-2013 01:25 PM
    Maybe it an under age thing but I remeber a girl in highschool that had epilepsy. She couldn't get her drivers licence until she was seasure free for so many years. I know she got her licence before graduating
    06-05-2013 03:53 PM
    He just smirked.
    He didn't seem to have much of a sense of humor.

I believe that it's a job requirement at the DMV.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-05-2013 07:31 PM
    I believe that it's a job requirement at the DMV.
    Yeah, it probably is.

06-05-2013 07:37 PM
    Yeah, it probably is.

06-05-2013 09:01 PM
    Yeah, it probably is.

Where I live, almost none of the employees speak English. Those that do speak the dc-dialect, and I can't understand them.
    06-05-2013 09:02 PM
    They do

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    06-05-2013 09:04 PM