Oxytocin.

What is it? It's what some behavioral experts believe is the reason for why the world is the way it is. An "ancient molecule in the human brain".

Of course, this would mean that we were predestined to act according to how this molecule 'sits' in us.
    But can't our intelligence override this if we desire it to? Don't our minds override/suppress multiple things each and every day?
    Or can it not override this particular aspect of itself... must we succumb to it against our will?

For instance -
    Did Hitler have to be the way he was because of his biological makeup? Or could he just as easily been your neighborhood barber? Before you say, "It was his environment", don't forget there were barbers there too.

Your replies don't necessarily have to include Hitler. It's just that I thought he would be an ideal 'test' for this discussion.

Here's a link to chew on:
    http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/th...eople-are-evil

I think signatures are jejune.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-10-2013 11:19 PM
    Oxytocin.

What is it? It's what some behavioral experts believe is the reason for why the world is the way it is. An "ancient molecule in the human brain".

Of course, this would mean that we were predestined to act according to how this molecule 'sits' in us.
    But can't our intelligence override this if we desire it to? Don't our minds override/suppress multiple things each and every day?
    Or can it not override this particular aspect of itself... must we succumb to it against our will?

For instance -
    Did Hitler have to be the way he was because of his biological makeup? Or could he just as easily been your neighborhood barber? Before you say, "It was his environment", don't forget there were barbers there too.

Your replies don't necessarily have to include Hitler. It's just that I thought he would be an ideal 'test' for this discussion.

See link for further details:
    Why Some People Are Evil | Psychology Today

Lots of interesting questions this brings up. I'm going to sit the biological question of predestiny out for a minute to collect my full thoughts on it and try to get it within 2 sentences... but it's been fascinating to read about that argument. Secondary question, who/what exactly was Hitler? I'm sure that changes the answers to people's perceptions of the debate, but it doesn't have to change the merits of the arguments, but in fact may enhance them. Logically, whether you believe Hitler was a puppet, a mastermind, a tyrant, an alien, whatever... the arguments about the relationship of programming versus learning should be identical. It's true that we are a mess of chemical and electrical (really the same thing in a certain sense) interactions. How much conscious control does one have over those base components?
    06-11-2013 05:17 AM

Aquila likes this.
    06-11-2013 02:45 PM