Ok I was listening to the radio and a comedian came on, this was on AM radio so thats not very often. It was a guy who was going to be on ABC Australian Story - a refugee who is trying to become a citizen. Now the story I am posting won't be as funny as I heard on the radio but best extract similar i could find. He also survived a Kangaroo on Perth's highway This story is from his home town before he came to Australia.

"Something happened to me recently to prove the power of comedy. I was driving home
    from work and a guy stuck a gun in my face and asked for my phone and wallet. Now in
    Karachi, thats basically such a common thing that it doesnt even bother us anymore.
    In fact, if you havent been robbed at gunpoint then you arent really a Karachiite. So
    he took my phone and my wallet and then he turned to me and said, and I promise this
    happened, Dont be angry.

And because I am an *****, before I could stop myself, I said You took everything else,
    at least leave me my anger.

And he laughed. So I laughed. Then he thought about it for a second and gave me back
    my phone and wallet. I was so confused I thought it was a candid camera situation. And
    he said you look like a decent person, I cant rob you. And he walked away.

Just like that. Comedy took him by surprise more than a gun took me by surprise. It
    broke through the violence for just long enough to make a difference. So remember that
    lesson. Because the alternative is too depressing to consider. The alternative is that he
    was such a bad judge of character that he thought I was decent.

Thank you." - Sami Shah
    The extract omits the good bits and the bit were the guy said he won't kill him, but I thought it was a good example of how comedy can change situations
    06-13-2013 07:29 AM
    Agreed.we have another decent one as a refugee who would be in the aus cricket team if he gets his citizenship sorted.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.
    07-12-2013 07:50 AM