06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    False on all counts :-) but you know that. No t shirt selling here!

Transmitted through spacetime.
    Except every one of those points have been made in this very thread.
    Kevin OQuinn and Aquila like this.
    06-30-2013 03:37 PM
    Agnostic means you believe in a God or Supreme Being, doesn't necessary mean you believe in a specific religion to worship that God.
    Mad respect for you, but that's wrong.

From Wikipedia:
    Agnosticism is the view that the existence or non-existence of any deity is unknown and possibly unknowable.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    gnr_2 and Farish like this.
    06-30-2013 03:38 PM
    Except every one of those points have been made in this very thread.
    Nothing is True just because some silly person says it or writes it down. The good news is that there are people to fight back against such nonsense. I'd be scared if we blindly started head wagging. Unfortunately, it sums necessary for them to mumble their sound bytes prior to learning anything of value. It really does interfere with the learning process.

06-30-2013 03:41 PM

From Wikipedia:
    Agnosticism is the view that the existence or non-existence of any deity is unknown and possibly unknowable.

In that case 99% of the world is on that spectrum. Everyone who has faith, admittedly does not know, and it is impossible to prove a negative fully, so certainty is insanity.

06-30-2013 03:44 PM
    I guess that's to each their own then. I know many christians who pray for people instead of condemning them, because it is not their place to judge. Even though they KNOW that the person they are praying for is a sinner, they have compassion for them and and that is why they care about the eternal status of their soul. I'm not christian, but I was raised to be one. Not every christian hates nonchristians and it is unfair to group them as so.

And therein lies the problem. A person can't "know" I'm sinning. Sinning is their belief not mine. In my religion harming the earth and not recycling is wrong. Do I go around telling you (generic you) that you are sinning and are going to hell because you threw away the coke can. Am I praying for your soul? Do you care? No. And you shouldn't because it's not your belief system. I love it when Christians tell everyone else that what they feel is the only way. Fortunately, Jesus himself says that those that stand around making sure everyone knows how pious they are are not the ones going to heaven but those that worship him quietly and without the need for all around them to know are the ones that will find their reward in heaven. So, I love it when these people say things in message boards and at rallies, etc. cause their own Lord has said they aren't going to heaven for their behavior. They just choose not to listen. (Again Jennifer, generic, since you already said you aren't Christian).

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD
    06-30-2013 03:53 PM
    See its statements like that, that make me non religious. I used to be christian a long time ago, but due to an awakening I left the church with all its brainwashing, so I semi know what I'm talking about.

The bible also states that the only person who will pass judgment on me when I die IS god. You and anyone else who goes around condemning people to a mythical torture pit in the bowels of the earth, should be ashamed of yourselves, as neither you or them have any right to pass judgment on my soul.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    I actually don't think they were passing judgment. Just relaying what they believe the bible to say. There is a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    06-30-2013 03:54 PM

From Wikipedia:
    I disagree with that. I believe in a higher power but don't believe in ANY religion because I consider them all prone to the flaws of mankind therefore none of them can be right. So what would you call me? I've always thought agnostic. If not, then what?
    06-30-2013 03:55 PM
    False on all counts :-) but you know that. No t shirt selling here!

Read: sarcasm. He was basically "summing up" the points made previously. I personally laughed out loud.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD
    06-30-2013 03:57 PM
    I disagree with that. I believe in a higher power but don't believe in ANY religion because I consider them all prone to the flaws of mankind therefore none of them can be right. So what would you call me? I've always thought agnostic. If not, then what?
    Depends on the specifics. Perhaps deist, perhaps theist, etc.
    06-30-2013 03:58 PM
    Really?
    What verse is that?

Is there really somebody pacing the Earth with a pitchfork? And a bunny? And a jovial fat guy?

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    One main chapter is Luke 16. Jesus tells this parable:

The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich mans table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abrahams side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.

25 But Abraham replied, Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.

27 He answered, Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.

29 Abraham replied, They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.

30 No, father Abraham, he said, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.

31 He said to him, If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    06-30-2013 04:07 PM
    And therein lies the problem. A person can't "know" I'm sinning. Sinning is their belief not mine. In my religion harming the earth and not recycling is wrong. Do I go around telling you (generic you) that you are sinning and are going to hell because you threw away the coke can. Am I praying for your soul? Do you care? No. And you shouldn't because it's not your belief system. I love it when Christians tell everyone else that what they feel is the only way. Fortunately, Jesus himself says that those that stand around making sure everyone knows how pious they are are not the ones going to heaven but those that worship him quietly and without the need for all around them to know are the ones that will find their reward in heaven. So, I love it when these people say things in message boards and at rallies, etc. cause their own Lord has said they aren't going to heaven for their behavior. They just choose not to listen. (Again Jennifer, generic, since you already said you aren't Christian).

I think you may not have this completely right. I agree that many Christians are pushy and can communicate poorly. But it was Jesus himself that commanded his followers to go and make disciples of the world, baptizing them in the name of the father, son and holy spirit.

The delivery by some Christians my be wrong but the motive is based on trying to help people find salvation and eventually a better life.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    cdmjlt369 and Live2ride883 like this.
    06-30-2013 04:16 PM

From Wikipedia:

Well you learn something everyday.

Check this out.

This is the definition of an agnostic that I grew up with.

Same wiki page.

Agnostic theism
    The view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence.

Now in there is listed 5 different types of agnostics.

Way too complicated. I knew a lot of people who called themselves agnostics because of that very definition.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    06-30-2013 04:26 PM
    Time to get back this on track again.

06-30-2013 04:33 PM
    I think you may not have this completely right. I agree that many Christians are pushy and can communicate poorly. But it was Jesus himself that commanded his followers to go and make disciples of the world, baptizing them in the name of the father, son and holy spirit.

The delivery by some Christians my be wrong but the motive is based on trying to help people find salvation and eventually a better life.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Well, he can't have it both ways. :l

06-30-2013 04:45 PM
    Time to get back this on track again.

Good try. But, to help, things in the negative confuse me so I'm never sure if "no on Prop 8" allowed gay marriage or stopped gay marriage from occurring.

06-30-2013 04:46 PM
    Well you learn something everyday.

Check this out.

This is the definition of an agnostic that I grew up with.

Same wiki page.

Agnostic theism
    The view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence.

Now in there is listed 5 different types of agnostics.

Way too complicated. I knew a lot of people who called themselves agnostics because of that very definition.
    You do learn something everyday, thanks for sharing that.

And to clarify for those who are interested, I refer to myself as agnostic, but primarily I am not religious, I do not specifically believe or disbelieve that there is a god. I simply no longer care. I once found myself questioning it and wishing for it at the same time, but I've long since grown out of that fallacy.

And yes, to get it back on track,
    Due to the separation of church and state your religious views should have no weight in an argument of equal rights.

return_0 likes this.
    06-30-2013 04:49 PM
    How quickly we forget all the peaceful Muslims that were cheering, dancing and celebrating in the streets when their brothers slammed two passenger airplanes into the World Trade Center, killing thousands.

How easily we forget.

Stop trying to derail this thread with your hate.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    nolittdroid and return_0 like this.
    06-30-2013 04:58 PM
    You do learn something everyday, thanks for sharing that.

And to clarify for those who are interested, I refer to myself as agnostic, but primarily I am not religious, I do not specifically believe or disbelieve that there is a god. I simply no longer care. I once found myself questioning it and wishing for it at the same time, but I've long since grown out of that fallacy.

And yes, to get it back on track,
    Due to the separation of church and state your religious views should have no weight in an argument of equal rights.

See I would think you would be atheist. You don't believe there is a god or care one way or the other. But I think to cross that line, you may have to specifically DISbelieve.

To put this all in perspective since I'm shocked no one has made Jen shut this down yet (I keep expecting to come back and find a lock), at the end of the day, this is one thread on one forum on a website about phones. Does it really matter, when on another thread we'll all be disagreeing on the best keyboard app or HTC vs Samsung or all hating on Apple? In the end it's just a discussion about different views (some right, some not {wink} ) and there's no need for anyone to get upset about anything someone else says (unless it really violates the 'be nice' forum rule) since when all is said and typed, my life will still be my life and yours will be yours and they will, in some cases hopefully, only intersect here.

06-30-2013 05:11 PM
    Stop trying to derail this thread with your hate.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    There we go with that hate word again.

msndrstood and badbrad17 like this.
    06-30-2013 05:32 PM
    I find it hard to believe that a supreme power would set up their own efforts to fail. Which that way of doing things is. Because no one likes people telling them what to do or how to think. Ultimately, that way of doing things becomes rejected.

They may have good intentions, but their own efforts backfire. People neither require, nor want others showing up at their door and treating them like children. and getting into their personal lives. That's being a busy body. It always amazes me that people will talk to you as if they are telling you something you haven't heard before. As if they are the first Christian to ever come across you. I could see that notion if someone was really young, but middle aged? Come on. That's just arrogance at that point.

Good try. But, to help, things in the negative confuse me so I'm never sure if "no on Prop 8" allowed gay marriage or stopped gay marriage from occurring.
    Protectmarriage/Yes on 8 was the group promoting prop 8 which stopped same gender marriages, No on Prop 8 was the campaign (which I proudly worked on!) that tried to prevent that proposition from going into effect. So voting No on Prop 8 was basically saying yes to gay marriage. A little confusing yes. And I wonder how many voters voted the wrong way (on either side). I guess we'll never know, but it would be interesting to find out!
    gnr_2 likes this.
    06-30-2013 05:41 PM
    ITT:
    God hates homosexuals
    He doesn't just hate it. He calls it an abomination.
    Quite clear-cut, if you think about it.

You can't be racist if your partner is black
    I never said those words.. but how racist do you think someone in an inter-racial marriage can be and their wife let them get away with it? Yeah, the term is wife.

Muslims are bad because they are killers. All of them.
    Never said that either. I grew up in NYC. I'd bet a month's salary that I've had friends of more diverse backgrounds than anyone else here.
    Murder is good if you think the person you're killing is a bad guytm
    No, let's let mass murderers run the Earth free as a bird. Then we will all be able to sleep so very comfortably, because we are open-minded doormats.

06-30-2013 05:55 PM
    Wow, this has turned into some thread.

What?! ... I'm msndrstood.
    via Note II
    badbrad17 and Aquila like this.
    06-30-2013 06:09 PM
    He doesn't just hate it. He calls it an abomination.
    Quite clear-cut, if you think about it.

I never said those words.. but how racist do you think someone in an inter-racial marriage can be and their wife let them get away with it? Yeah, the term is wife.

Never said that either. I grew up in NYC. I'd bet a month's salary that I've had friends of more diverse backgrounds than anyone else here.

No, let's let mass murderers run the Earth free as a bird. Then we will all be able to sleep so very comfortably, because we are open-minded doormats.

Can you please get back on point, if you're so much more culturally diverse than the rest of us here? I'm dying to hear what your culturally diversified NYC opinion is on DOMA/Prop 8. By the way some people use the term partner, in lieu of "wife" "husband" "boyfriend" "girlfriend" or "spouse". It's quite common, actually.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    06-30-2013 06:16 PM
    I told my wife we should start an instant company and do a wedding planner business that specializes in same sex marriages since they just created a few million customers.
    msndrstood, gnr_2 and primevyl like this.
    06-30-2013 06:31 PM
    Due to the separation of church and state your religious views should have no weight in an argument of equal rights
    The One-Way Only Wall of Separation Between Church and State.

20. We have all heard the chant, mindlessly recited, separation of church and state. Many believe this phrase is in the Constitution, and that it forbids any Christian influence in the public square. But that is false. The phrase is nowhere in the Constitution, and it is not a constitutional principle. The First Amendment says Congress may not legally establish one [religious] creed as official truth and support it with its full financial and coercive powers; 9 and it may not prohibit the free exercise of religion or religious speech ANYWHERE.

Link
    06-30-2013 07:52 PM
1,813 ... 910111213 ...