06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    Lol, well that's settled then. Guess I'm not "married" then, only in a civil Union. That's awesome to know.

This country has bigger issues than two people who are in love getting married. Funny that you would rather two people who don't love each other but are anatomically acceptable to your religious standards marry.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    I know we are discussing terminology here to some degree, but I think it is important. I am looking more at the complete picture of why marriage was created and the goal of people who enter into this union. It is supposed to be a holy union and not something taken lightly. Does that mean that every relationship that decides to follow this path is really sincere about what they are committing to? Absolutely not. I would even push it further that many "married" hetero people have also not committed to the true union of marriage and are not even believers in God. These people are just as guilty as Atheists or Gay relationships trying to enter into the true purpose of marriage.

Like I've said before to many of my friends. "Don't get married in a church if you don't want God to be involved in your relationship". If you do this you are creating a union based on a lie.

If you don't want to have God as part of the union, then just go to the justice of the peace.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    07-01-2013 11:42 AM
    Lol, well that's settled then. Guess I'm not "married" then, only in a civil Union. That's awesome to know.
    Don't feel bad, I'm a Poly-Atheist,(and happily married) there are hundreds of gawds I don't believe in!
    lpt2569 and msndrstood like this.
    07-01-2013 11:44 AM
    I think you are confusing metaphors with with reality! Nowhere in my dictionary does it mention belonging to a religious group to get married, only that it is between a man and a women.
    You change my post so it says Gawd instead of God? Wow.

The dictionary is not a defined basis for why marriage was created. Have we now come to forget the basis for why something exists in the first place? Such a shame.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-01-2013 11:47 AM
    Lol. "You can have equal rights. Just not this, this, or this one."

That's the biggest crock I've ever heard. If you start taking away rights, which right is too far?

No one said anything about taking rights away.

Read my post afterwards, I specifically stated that no one should have any rights taken away.

But everyone in this country has always had the ability to marry anyone of the opposite sex that they choose.

No one is denied the ability to marry

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-01-2013 11:49 AM
    I guess I've been happily living in sin for over 4 decades since the cursing, cheating priest refused to marry us since we were 'too young', even though we'd been legally married for 3 years when, under pressure from family, went to the Catholic Church in order to make us 'legal' in the eyes of God. Pfft, that sealed it for me. Adios religion and all the crap that came with it. Marriage is just a word, it's what you do with it that counts. I know too many 'faithful' people that broke their marriage vows, including every single person in my immediate family (including my parents). Except for us. The only ones not 'married' in church. So, I wonder who God is going to be pissed at?

What?! ... I'm msndrstood.
    via Note II
    07-01-2013 11:54 AM
    Isn't it an infringement of my rights when another group comes in and tries to change my belief system and to expect me to agree and like it?
    My belief system is Mathematics,Science and a Dictionary. You should try it sometime, it's awesome.
    lpt2569 and msndrstood like this.
    07-01-2013 11:59 AM
    So, I wonder who God is going to be pissed at?
    Worst case scenario......When you croak you'll get to hang out with some really cool people, like some of the heathens on here. See ya there.
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-01-2013 12:07 PM
    But we do live in a place where exclusion and rules apply. For example the rules of age do limit the rights of some people. Let's say that a 12 year old boy and a 11 year old girl want to get married and think they have the right to do so. Should they be able to? Or maybe we can push the boundary further and say maybe there is a 12 year old girl who wants to marry a 28 year old man. The girl is smart and well spoken and goes to court to fight for her right to choose. This is just one example of why we make rules based on what we feel as a society should be acceptable.

I could also say that the gay community is infringing on my rights because they are trying to undermine my religious freedom by calling marriage something that it isn't. Does that mean that I can legislate or modify other religions in order to make them work to my lifestyle? What if I called myself a Jew or Muslim but I want to eat pork as part of my religious experience? I should have the right to do this but I shouldn't be able to call myself a Jew or Muslim because my lifestyle doesn't follow the rules. It is now something else. Exclusion has to happen or we can't maintain what original structure of what was created.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    So who decides the exclusions? The majority? That doesn't work, and is why we need legislation guaranteeing rights for all people, minority groups included.

I have to kind of laugh at the idea of "religious freedom". Where in this country are you not allowed to practice your religion as described in the Bible (or relevant book or text)? The idea that someone that doesn't follow your belief system somehow impedes your ability to practice or enjoy those beliefs is somewhat baffling to me. Please explain that.
    07-01-2013 12:19 PM
    Don't feel bad, I'm a Poly-Atheist,(and happily married) there are hundreds of gawds I don't believe in!
    My belief system is Mathematics,Science and a Dictionary. You should try it sometime, it's awesome.
    I'm not sure the condescension is required to get your point across. Be the bigger person and respect their beliefs enough to spell God the way it's meant to be spelled.
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    07-01-2013 12:22 PM
    But everyone in this country has always had the ability to marry anyone of the opposite sex that they choose.

No one is denied the ability to marry
    "No one is denied the ability to marry" /someone of the opposite sex/

If we are going to split hairs, let's do it properly.

07-01-2013 12:37 PM
    So now the problem is that they shouldn't marry in churches. You even suggested that atheists or people who don't want god in their marriage go to the justice of the peace. That removes the whole issue of religion being the reason why homosexuals should not be married. If it is OK for two sinners (atheists) to get married at the justice of the peace, why not two homosexuals? They would be "removing god" from their union (which, BTW, I married in front of the justice of the peace. Same vows, same inclusion of god.)

The issue here wasn't if they should marry in a church, or if god should be apart of their Union.

No church will be required to marry a homosexual couple. It is still at the discretion of the ordained.

So with that gone, what is wrong with a homosexual couple marrying in front of the JOP?
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-01-2013 12:44 PM
    Worst case scenario......When you croak you'll get to hang out with some really cool people, like some of the heathens on here. See ya there.
    If I believed in hell... Nevertheless, I'm sure we won't be alone!

via Note II
    07-01-2013 12:49 PM
    So now the problem is that they shouldn't marry in churches. You even suggested that atheists or people who don't want god in their marriage go to the justice of the peace. That removes the whole issue of religion being the reason why homosexuals should not be married. If it is OK for two sinners (atheists) to get married at the justice of the peace, why not two homosexuals? They would be "removing god" from their union (which, BTW, I married in front of the justice of the peace. Same vows, same inclusion of god.)

The issue here wasn't if they should marry in a church, or if god should be apart of their Union.

No church will be required to marry a homosexual couple. It is still at the discretion of the ordained.

So with that gone, what is wrong with a homosexual couple marrying in front of the JOP?
    Kinda like.... I can have this but not that and I better be damn happy you let me have this.

People. People are the problem.

via Note II
    07-01-2013 12:52 PM
    You guys realize that people old all faiths and no faiths have been getting married for far longer than there have been Christians or Jews? Modern religion has nothing to do with the concept of marriage at all.... Other than the nuances of their particular verbiage at the ceremonies. Is an Aztec wedding invalid? That of the Pharaoh and his wife?

Transmitted through spacetime.
    07-01-2013 12:57 PM
    And none of this explains why the law should view anyone differently...

lpt2569, Ry and AngelArs like this.
    07-01-2013 01:01 PM
    As if it was any better when Americans cheered on when Bin Laden was killed.

โœŒ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ‘‘๐Ÿญ๐ŸŒž
    There is a difference. To compare the two is not acceptable, at all.
    07-01-2013 01:18 PM
    And none of this explains why the law should view anyone differently...

You are right, nit. They have not.
    07-01-2013 01:20 PM
    Yeah, ethnicity has nothing to do with opinion on same sex marriage.

Contrary to popular belief lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Nor should it!
    The Hustleman likes this.
    07-01-2013 01:21 PM
    I never said anything like that.

I'm merely against same sex marriage.

Marriage is supposed to be for a man and a woman, period.

If someone is gay so be it, give them their rights, but not in the form of marriage

Well said, my friend!
    The Hustleman likes this.
    07-01-2013 01:26 PM
    I never said anything like that.

I'm merely against same sex marriage.

Marriage is supposed to be for a man and a woman, period.

If someone is gay so be it, give them their rights, but not in the form of marriage

So homosexuals should have rights, but not all rights?

You know what that's synonymous with?

"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Jennifer Stough likes this.
    07-01-2013 01:33 PM
    Are you serious? Really, serious?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, I'm serious. Around 2000 years since Jesus died, and probably a couple of thousand before then. Most experts say no more than 5000 years. Not "millions" as so-called scientists are saying. The very first words in the Bible tell of God creating Heaven and Earth.
    07-01-2013 01:36 PM
    IMarriage is supposed to be for a man and a woman, period.
    You only feel that way because that is the way you've been conditioned to think. There are many who would say that marriage is supposed to be between two people in love, and they'd be right too.
    07-01-2013 01:40 PM
    Yes, I'm serious. Around 2000 years since Jesus died, and probably a couple of thousand before then. Most experts say no more than 5000 years. Not "millions" as so-called scientists are saying. The very first words in the Bible tell of God creating Heaven and Earth.
    Most experts on what? The Vatican calls Genesis allegorical in its entirety and accepts natural selection.

msndrstood likes this.
    07-01-2013 01:42 PM
    Around 2000 years since Jesus died.
    Which 'jesus' are you referring to? There are so many that have fit this mythological characters description over the ages.
    07-01-2013 01:43 PM
    WOW.....LOTS of flawed statements and analogies made while I was gone. Rolling up my sleeves and taking them one by one:

I believe the issue is not as much about equality as much as it is terminology. The gay and lesbian community want to be "married". Marriage is actually a religious creation that comes from God and is written in the Bible. So the people who are part of the religious community don't think that it is okay for them to partake in something that was clearly defined as being for a man and woman and are part of their religion.
    FALSE - When domestic partnerships have been proposed, people have got up and arms over that too. When gay people are depicted in ads or TV shows, people have gotten up in arms about that as well. We are told to "keep it at home". The real "issue" isn't about marriage at all, it's that gay people even exist and have the audacity to show themselves in the light of day and be depicted as anything less then demons and monsters on TV, newspapers etc. It's not about religion, it's about not liking a group of people that are different. It's the new racism if you will. And it's just as invalid.

I have no problem with same sex couples living under the same roof and having similar rights that married couples have. But I do have a problem with the use of the word marriage as it is a misuse of the real reason the word was created.
    I'm glad you have no problem with us living under the same roof, but I don't want "similar" rights anymore then a black person wants a "similar" drinking fountain. I want the same rights to marry the person I love. Oh...and guess what? Now I have them. Soon the rest of the country will too.

It's like bringing a football to a baseball game and complaining that all the baseball players aren't giving you your right to play. You have the right to play, just do it with your rules, your choices and on your field. Don't expect me to agree that you should be able to mess up my game in the name of human rights or equality because no matter how hard we try, it will never work.
    No, it's like bringing a baseball to the baseball field and the people selfishly telling you, I'm sorry we want to horde this field for ourselves and you can't play here, because only we have played here traditionally. Either way, in baseball or with marriage your game is not "messed up".
    Aquila and msndrstood like this.
    07-01-2013 01:44 PM
1,813 ... 1314151617 ...