06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Not to mention that it existed as a legal contract in ancient Greece before Christianity was a thing.
    Yep. Back then it used to be said that "
    Marriage is the union of two different surnames, in friendship and in love" and I think that should be the legal definition today.

Well maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's all I might be wrong about.
    Only because truths can't be mentioned here.
    07-01-2013 06:27 PM
    Not sure how updated that information is. Sounds like it was written around 3 years ago or so. The last I heard they were working on a combination of gene therapy and a vaccine and even considering trying it out in the middle east. Would certainly be a good place to test it... Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'god I love technology"
    Can you post a link for me to look at? I am interested in the theory and would like to be on the same page as we discuss this issue. Thank you.

What?! ... I'm msndrstood.
    via Note II
    07-01-2013 06:31 PM
    Can you post a link for me to look at?
    A link? No. Books, yes. Back around 2009 there used to be links but now those sites have changed to where you have to pay to enter.
    07-01-2013 06:36 PM
    But to your point...why do people marry...do they marry the first person they see with opposite parts? Or is there a more compelling reason then that going on? You saying that to me, is like me telling you that you have the same right to marry a man. So does that make you want to rush out and marry one? Why not? Can't you be just as happy with a man since you seem to think that is so interchangeable for me? A gay person marrying someone of the opposite sex would be just as fraudulent and just as much of a lie as you marrying someone of the same gender. Yeah you could do it, but there really would be no reason or basis for it. Gay people are looking for one thing only....the same ability to marry the person they love just like you can and not be treated like second class citizens. Whether you personally approve or not is just as irrelevant as a KKK member disapproving of an interracial marriage.
    First off, race and sexual orientation are two very different things, and are in no way related. As for why did I marry my wife? Well, she's beautiful, smart and, among other things, time was running out (different story entirely!). If you would like to bring race up, my ancestors were discriminated against in the early and mid '40's. As for your KKK analogy, you are way off. I am sure that the KKK would support interracial marriages and gay marriages as their members were democrats.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Wiley_11 and The Hustleman like this.
    07-01-2013 06:51 PM
    Race comparisons are perfectly valid and entirely instructive. The phrase 'those that don't remember history are doomed to repeat it' is incredibly relevant here.

The contradictions in your post are also quite puzzling.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    No, they're two very different issues, and in no way relevant to one another.

Wiley_11 and The Hustleman like this.
    07-01-2013 07:01 PM
    it's obvious my comments are going over a lot of peoples' heads in here and they obviously aren't grasping
    Who are you kidding? They're trying to compare two irrelevant topics, and it's crazy. I'm glad to see that there's a few level headed people in here though.

Wiley_11 likes this.
    07-01-2013 07:05 PM
    Saying people shouldn't be allowed to marry based on their gender is just as discriminatory as saying they can't be married based on their skin color. Replace every instance of "gay" in this thread with "hispanic" or "Presbyterian" and tell me it's not discriminatory.

Some people think my son shouldn't be allowed to marry because it conflicts with their personal beliefs. I say so what? Stuff your beliefs in a sack, along with the idea that they are more important than my personal beliefs. I don't really care what you believe, until it affects me and mine. When and if the day ever comes where my son and future son-in-law get married, the last thing I'll care about is if any of you loving christian folks approve.
    07-01-2013 07:15 PM
    I am sure that the KKK would support interracial marriages and gay marriages as their members were democrats.
    LOL... Sure glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that....

Saying people shouldn't be allowed to marry based on their gender is just as discriminatory as saying they can't be married based on their skin color. Replace every instance of "gay" in this thread with "hispanic" or "Presbyterian" and tell me it's not discriminatory.
    Well stated! Our world is too small to allow discrimination and/or intolerance to thrive in any part of it.

nolittdroid and Aquila like this.
    07-01-2013 07:36 PM
    Don't be hating because what I posted was true. If you don't believe me, then please take a college level US History 2 course. There you will learn that the members were all democrats. I don't post information like this unless I am 100% certain of the validity of my information.

The Hustleman and nolittdroid like this.
    07-01-2013 07:55 PM

Well stated! Our world is too small to allow discrimination and/or intolerance to thrive in any part of it.

I couldn't think of what to say in response to the first quote.

The second... Alright Jerry! :thumbup:

Sent via Note II
    07-01-2013 07:57 PM
    Don't be hating because what I posted was true. If you don't believe me, then please take a college level US History 2 course. There you will learn that the members were all democrats. I don't post information like this unless I am 100% certain of the validity of my information.

But you are aware that the parties have socially flipped right? That their names don't mean the same thing now?

Transmitted through spacetime.
    nolittdroid likes this.
    07-01-2013 07:57 PM
    But you are aware that the parties have socially flipped right? That their names don't mean the same thing now?

The point is that they were democrats, period.

07-01-2013 07:59 PM
    The point is that they were democrats, period.

They're also Christians and many are Masons. Most are white. Labels are not always accurate at conveying context.

msndrstood likes this.
    07-01-2013 08:00 PM
    I couldn't think of what to say in response to the first quote.

The second... Alright Jerry! :thumbup:

Sent via Note II
    Like I said, don't be hating because it's true that the founding members of the KKK were democrats. It remained that way for the longest time.
    I know this as a US History buff, not as a racist. Contrary to what others have posted here, I'm not racist, and I'm neither born nor raised in the south. I just happen to be stationed here.

The Hustleman likes this.
    07-01-2013 08:03 PM
    First off, race and sexual orientation are two very different things, and are in no way related.
    Other than they're both used to discriminate against people, which in both cases causes much unnecessary fear, hatred and violence and that hatred on both counts protected and even glorified by a large portion of the population. For a society that is supposed to celebrate healthy diversity...
    07-01-2013 08:13 PM
    Other than they're both used to discriminate against people, which in both cases causes much unnecessary fear, hatred and violence and that hatred on both counts protected and even glorified by a large portion of the population. For a society that is supposed to celebrate healthy diversity...
    Hey, I've been discriminated against because of my skin color and veteran status. Who says you have to be a minority to be on the receiving end?
    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta[/QUOTE]

badbrad17 likes this.
    07-01-2013 08:17 PM
    Christianity and masonry aren't the same thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-01-2013 08:22 PM

A basic level history class would tell you that:

-Democrats in those days were conservatives, which is what modern Republicans are

-They were racist.

Now, based on the second point, and the fact that they were lynching blacks, what position would common sense tell you they would have on interracial marriage?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    07-01-2013 08:23 PM
    Hey, I've been discriminated against because of my skin color and veteran status. Who says you have to be a minority to be on the receiving end?

No one, and it's wrong in both directions. The existence of one side doesn't justify the other. But have you been hanged, raped, lit on fire, had your belongings destroyed, your family threatened, your children beaten in school, your child's funeral picketed by lunatics with a paper shield, a huge percent of people in your demographic committing suicide because of the hatred directed at them, disowned by your parents and/or told that your rights to create your own family must take a backseat to those of "normal people" because their misinterpretation of fairy tales tells them that your existence is an affront to their imaginary friend? THAT's the distinction that I feel like people are missing. Those are the parallels between ending segregation and gay rights. As long as we continue to find ways to discriminate, our "freedom and justice for all" is a lie.
    07-01-2013 08:25 PM

I'm not sure anyone said that they are.
    07-01-2013 08:27 PM
    Don't be hating because what I posted was true.
    Oh I wouldn't hate because it was true. I defend the truth of all matters everyday. Now your being disingenuous, now that's another matter. As others have mentioned things were not the same then as they are now. I don't care what label you put on it, discrimination is wrong, and it always will be. All forms of discrimination are equivalent to anti-humanism. Every citizen of this great country should have the same rights. When anyone loses a right or a freedom, everyone does.
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-01-2013 08:53 PM

Not even close.

07-01-2013 09:07 PM
    A basic level history class would tell you that:

-Democrats in those days were conservatives, which is what modern Republicans are

-They were racist.

Now, based on the second point, and the fact that they were lynching blacks, what position would common sense tell you they would have on interracial marriage?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Basic history class? One of my college degrees is in history, so your little history lesson is unneeded. Yet you still overlook the fact that they were democrats.

07-01-2013 09:09 PM
    No, they're two very different issues, and in no way relevant to one another.

No, they're really not. Both are groups of people being subjected to inequality by certain members of society, and both deserve equal protection under the law.
    Aquila, AngelArs and msndrstood like this.
    07-01-2013 09:16 PM
    Basic history class? One of my college degrees is in history, so your little history lesson is unneeded. Yet you still overlook the fact that they were democrats.

And you still overlook the fact that the democrats back then were racist, xenophobic rednecks that would have been happy to see the US split back along the lines of the civil war. This was the same Democratic Party that fought tooth and nail against Lincoln and the republicans to end slavery.

It doesn't matter that they were labeled democrats when what that label means has changed in the time since then.
    07-01-2013 09:24 PM
1,813 ... 1718192021 ...