06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 1234 ...
tools
    To be honest I think the people who are against it in this day and age are the real minority who are very vocal about their views. I believe for the most part that the community doesnt care about it or view good on them if it goes a head and just remains silent.

A real shame is phrases like well that's gay" is dropped on the daily. I believe that its said not to offend the gay community but just now a cultural saying to say that sucks. Its really just a poor choice of words or phrases.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.
    Ry and jdbii like this.
    06-27-2013 05:17 AM
    Personally I couldn't care less what people do in their homes, just keep it there. Homosexuality is not a minority status, its a choice. Being black, or Hispanic is a minority status.
    I'm black and you're ignorant and paranoid. But it's your first amendment right to spout off uninformed opinions, so enjoy.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-27-2013 05:55 AM
    Personally I couldn't care less what people do in their homes, just keep it there. Homosexuality is not a minority status, its a choice. Being black, or Hispanic is a minority status.
    Do you remember the day you choose to be straight? Do you remember the day you made that decision, when you were face the dilemma and ask yourself, should I be Gay or Straight?

I bet it never happen, I am sure you were always into females. The thought never crossed your mind. There was never a choice to be made.
    06-27-2013 08:01 AM
    You do understand that we are not a direct democracy for the very reasons you are demonstrating, right? The founding documents of this nation, and the personal writings of its founders, cite a situation like this one as the reason why the United States was purposely not a direct democracy. You may have (hopefully) heard the term 'tyranny of the majority' before. That perfectly describes the ludicrous response in your link and that you've posted elsewhere.

Rights such as this are not, nor have they ever been, able to be revoked or limited by popular vote. If the majority (and in these cases, a very slim majority) decides they want to attempt to limit the rights of others, that must square with the protections provided by the constitution. In other words, the majority does not have the ability to limit the rights of a minority if it violates their constitutional rights. There are decades of court precedents that support this, along with the constitution itself.

It does not, however, surprise me that there are people out there that are ignorant of basic civics and american history. Anyone that says 'but...democracy!' in response to these rulings is clearly one of them.

EDIT: Are you at all familiar with the guy that wrote that? He is a christian fundamentalist lunatic.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Michael Vieux likes this.
    06-27-2013 12:31 PM
    Personally I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own home. Whether they be homo or straight. They can marry and/or pretend to marry. It's none of my business. Good for them.

However, when are my rights going to be addressed? Specifically, I'd like to be able to use marijuana openly and legally, with protections from discrimination. Just like the gays can do their thing legally. When are MY rights going to be addressed in the supreme court? (As if the supreme court is relevant, which it isn't).

Anyway this nation has become a filthy toilet thanks to the ignorant and selfish politicians that are elected by selfish and ignorant americans. The Supreme court wants to try and fill the toilet with turds until it self flushes and it's all over.
    Before long they'll let ILLEGAL aliens who aren't even American citizens sit on juries to judge natural born Americans. Then they'll let them vote in our elections even though they aren't even citizens. This nation is already headed for a royal flush with no point of return.

Just a rant. No offence intended to anyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317
    06-27-2013 02:19 PM
    Personally I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own home. Whether they be homo or straight. They can marry and/or pretend to marry. It's none of my business. Good for them.

However, when are my rights going to be addressed? Specifically, I'd like to be able to use marijuana openly and legally, with protections from discrimination. Just like the gays can do their thing legally. When are MY rights going to be addressed in the supreme court? (As if the supreme court is relevant, which it isn't).

Anyway this nation has become a filthy toilet thanks to the ignorant and selfish politicians that are elected by selfish and ignorant americans. The Supreme court wants to try and fill the toilet with turds until it self flushes and it's all over.
    Before long they'll let ILLEGAL aliens who aren't even American citizens sit on juries to judge natural born Americans. Then they'll let them vote in our elections even though they aren't even citizens. This nation is already headed for a royal flush with no point of return.

Just a rant. No offence intended to anyone.

You don't have a right to drug use.

06-27-2013 04:08 PM
    You don't have a right to drug use.

Marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is a plant. It grows natural. Drugs are manufactured.

However I do have a right to pursue happiness just like the gays do. That includes marijuana use.

06-27-2013 04:32 PM
    Marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is a plant. It grows natural. Drugs are manufactured.

However I do have a right to pursue happiness just like the gays do. That includes marijuana use.

No it doesn't. You are conflating two very different things, and it's more than a little offensive that you think your drug use and my right to marry should be discussed in the same conversation about rights.

06-27-2013 04:36 PM
    I'm not going to go back and clean up this thread just yet, but let's remember to keep it civil. That includes not calling people ignorant or paranoid, or any of the other things that have been passed along. I have a very strong view in this, that I will not post in the thread because I am going to watch from the sidelines. Regardless of your view points, have respect for each other. Even if the other person is saying something you whole heartily disagree with.
    thanks.

Jennifer
    Forum Moderator
    jdbii and primevyl like this.
    06-27-2013 04:44 PM
    No it doesn't. You are conflating two very different things, and it's more than a little offensive that you think your drug use and my right to marry should be discussed in the same conversation about rights.

Yes it does. And there are at least 2 states that the voters says it does.
    As for your being a little more than offended: tough crap.
    The point I was making was now that the gay marriage thing is done and out of the way. Lets start focusing on others rights too. If you want equality in this country it has to be equal for all. Not just for you and your interests only.

06-27-2013 04:53 PM
    Yes it does. And there are at least 2 states that the voters says it does.
    As for your being a little more than offended: tough crap.
    The point I was making was now that the gay marriage thing is done and out of the way. Lets start focusing on others rights too. If you want equality in this country it has to be equal for all. Not just for you and your interests only.

The 'gay marriage thing' isn't done and out of the way. This was a first, not a last, step. Please do educate yourself on the content of these rulings.

Equality does not, and never will, include your recreational drug use. They are different issues that have no bearing on each other. There is nothing unequal about laws that disallow drug use.

Also, to be clear, the discussion about drugs is off topic. It may be better for you to create another thread.

06-27-2013 05:15 PM
    Supreme Court issues two illegitimate decisions on same-sex marriage | Fox News

From the article:

Over 7 million Californians voted in favor of Proposition 8.
    06-27-2013 08:24 PM

From the article:

They neglected to state that 6.4 million voted against it. The vote was 52% to 48%.
    06-27-2013 08:29 PM
    I have a hard time disagreeing with any law that views law abiding citizens equally in the eyes of the law.
    gnr_2 likes this.
    06-27-2013 08:32 PM

From the article:

Whether it is 7 million or 70 million, no vote that forces the inequality of a minority will ever stand.
    GadgetGator and nolittdroid like this.
    06-27-2013 09:06 PM
    When did you choose to be straight? Please, pinpoint for us the exact moment you sat down and decided for yourself what your sexual orientation was. I sure as hell know I didn't choose to be straight. And why would anyone choose to be orientated in a way that they are demonised by people like you?
    06-27-2013 09:17 PM
    If there is any way we could take this out of personal realm and discuss it from a policy standpoint... that'd probably help.
    Live2ride883 and jdbii like this.
    06-27-2013 09:18 PM
    You might want to inform yourself on science. Homosexuality is not a choice; it is a congenital trait. Who in the right mind would choose to be bullied, harassed, and have their rights stripped by millions of people?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    06-27-2013 09:32 PM
    Who are we to judge how another person chooses to live their life? There are all kinds of families out there.

โœŒ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ‘‘๐Ÿญ๐ŸŒž
    06-27-2013 09:41 PM
    Who are we to judge how another person chooses to live their life? There are all kinds of families out there.

โœŒ๐ŸŽ€๐Ÿ‘‘๐Ÿญ๐ŸŒž
    I totally agree that we shouldn't judge others based on their sexual orientation, but to go further, it's not a choice.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    06-27-2013 09:47 PM
    My wife has workmates and friends who are gay and they are just the coolest people. I look forward to seeing them when we have get togethers at restaurants.
    I agree we should not judge others by who they like to do it with. Thats narrow minded.

06-27-2013 10:33 PM
    After reading a few articles today and looking at comments made by people who oppose the ruling, I think too much emphasis is being placed on the sexual end. I am seeing it here when people bring up what happens in the bedroom. If you think about it, the sexual end of a relationship with a life partner is really a very small part. When does the sexual end happen; when the time is right, and how long does it last? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?.

Nobody here married their wife (or husband) simply for the sexual end. That's a small part of a relationship. When you pick a life partner, it's someone you bond with. Someone you enjoy spending time with and sharing your feelings with. Someone who understands and shares your happiness.
    06-28-2013 12:09 AM
    If there is any way we could take this out of personal realm and discuss it from a policy standpoint... that'd probably help.
    You CAN'T remove it from the personal realm, because what is being discussed is deeply personal. You cannot separate the policy from the very real human element.
    06-28-2013 12:22 AM
    Even then, if you remove the "because it's a sin" and "it's a religious ceremony" arguments, what's left? Because both of those things have absolutely no relevance to policy and should have no bearing on the actual moral decisions of intelligent people. Even if you truly believe it's a sin, the only thing that should preclude, is you yourself participating in it. Unless you want to live in a fundamentalist theocratic society, such as Saudi Arabia or Iran, etc, the so called "moral teachings" of whichever cult you subscribe to have absolutely nothing to do with what your neighbor does or chooses to believe. Do we want to be a society where people are abused or discriminated against because of the mythologies of radicals? We have clear examples of those societies in history and in today's global political scene... those countries were/are on fire.
    06-28-2013 12:33 AM
    You CAN'T remove it from the personal realm, because what is being discussed is deeply personal. You cannot separate the policy from the very real human element.
    By what I said, I mean that instead of someone attacking you or someone else, that they attack the arguments. Not that we dehumanize the subject, but that we discuss arguments based on their own merits, without insulting each other.
    Fairclough and jdbii like this.
    06-28-2013 12:34 AM
1,813 1234 ...