06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    No, they're really not. Both are groups of people being subjected to inequality by certain members of society, and both deserve equal protection under the law.
    No, they really are in no way similar.
    And you still overlook the fact that the democrats back then were racist, xenophobic rednecks that would have been happy to see the US split back along the lines of the civil war. This was the same Democratic Party that fought tooth and nail against Lincoln and the republicans to end slavery.

It doesn't matter that they were labeled democrats when what that label means has changed in the time since then.
    Racist much? Since redneck is an ethnic slur, I'm assuming that it would be okay to drop the "n-bomb" in your eyes? You should be reported for using a racist slur in these forums. Since I happen to live in the south for the time being, I take offence to your blatant racism by using the ethnic slur redneck. You speak out against prejudice, yet you're using ethnic slurs. How hypocritical is that?
    And no, I did not overlook that fact.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-01-2013 09:37 PM
    Yes they really are. Given your other posts, however, I can see that you will never be able to understand.

Racist much? Since redneck is an ethnical slur, I'm assuming that it would be okay to drop the "n-bomb" in your eyes? You should be reported for using a racist slur in these forums. Since I happen to live in the south, I take offence to your blatant racism by using the ethnical slur redneck.

Nice try. Now we all know you're just trolling.
    07-01-2013 09:44 PM
    Yes they really are. Given your other posts, however, I can see that you will never be able to understand.

Nice try. Now we all know you're just trolling.
    They are in no way similar, period.
    And me, trolling? How so? I mean you are the racist here. I'm not the one using ethnic slurs after all.

badbrad17 likes this.
    07-01-2013 09:46 PM
    Hmm.... race seems to have been brought up again (and it wasn't by me). It was brought up by (as i said it has been) yet another gay marriage advocate.
    That's twice in just the past hour or so. Need i point out all the other instances in this thread? Or have i made my point.
    What IS your point? Am I supposed to disregard all the human rights struggles that have come before, when addressing my own? When some of the very same arguments used against those other groups are now used against me? Additionally, I was trying to show how offensive he was being and putting it in historical terms that he would hopefully understand. Clearly he doesn't care about offending me, since there has been no apology.

it's obvious my comments are going over a lot of peoples' heads in here and they obviously aren't grasping so I'll break it down one more time via a quote and I'm out of here.
    Oh no...you were QUITE clear when you stated what you thought a family is and who should and should not have access to marriages. There is no confusion here.

^^^so again - what is wrong with that scenario of keeping the govt. out of marriage?

let the churches handle marriage.
    Two problems with your idea: 1) Majority of straight people and government would never go for it and 2) There are churches that have no problem marrying gay people. Some are even ran by a number of gay clergy. So now what?

First off, race and sexual orientation are two very different things, and are in no way related.
    Then why are many of the same arguments against interracial marriage used against gay marriage? It's always about what God wants, protect the children, don't change things, blah blah blah.

As for your KKK analogy, you are way off. I am sure that the KKK would support interracial marriages and gay marriages as their members were democrats.
    OMG...that will surely go down as one of the most misinformed and funny quotes posted here...and coming from someone who has studied history no less. ROTFL...you are quite funny. Yeah I am sure the KKK was just fine and dandy with the races mixing and not staying "pure". Please. I remember taking a trip to Arkansas in the late 70's and sitting at a table with a black family and having every pair of white eyes in the room glare at me for having the nerve to do so. If people weren't too keen on whites SITTING with blacks, it's a pretty safe bet that marrying would be off the approved list as well.

The point is that they were democrats, period.
    LOL..that wasn't the point at all..but nice try.
    07-01-2013 09:46 PM
    They are in no way similar, period.
    And me, trolling? How so? I mean you are the racist here. I'm not the one using ethnic slurs after all.

Yeah, sorry. You've proven you don't get it. Move along.
    07-01-2013 09:51 PM
    I think a few people, including myself, have explained the parallels. Are there questions about those explanations or were they thrown out because the conclusions disagree with the premise? Or something else that wasn't explained?

I suppose it might be hard to bridge the gap between the concepts, but the foundation is available on the previous pages. Try to look at it through the eyes of the people being segregated, harassed, bullied, killed, etc.

What specifically makes it okay to have different rules for different random groupings of people other than merit?
    gnr_2 and msndrstood like this.
    07-01-2013 09:51 PM
    Basic history class? One of my college degrees is in history, so your little history lesson is unneeded. Yet you still overlook the fact that they were democrats.

Wait, did you even read my post? Because I acknowledged that they were Democrats, but that meant something different back then.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    GadgetGator and msndrstood like this.
    07-01-2013 09:54 PM

Racist much? Since redneck is an ethnic slur, I'm assuming that it would be okay to drop the "n-bomb" in your eyes? You should be reported for using a racist slur in these forums. Since I happen to live in the south for the time being, I take offence to your blatant racism by using the ethnic slur redneck. You speak out against prejudice, yet you're using ethnic slurs. How hypocritical is that?

Aren't you the same fellow who, in another thread, questioned my banning of someone who said n***er-in-chief when talking about Obama, asking what was said that was racist?

Just double checked. Yup. It was you.

Your reported post was noted.
    07-01-2013 09:55 PM
    Aren't you the same fellow who, in another thread, questioned my banning of someone who said n***er-in-chief when talking about Obama, asking what was said that was racist?

Just double checked. Yup. It was you.

Your reported post was noted.
    There was five asterisks, not six, I counted them because I thought the "n-bomb" was used. However b***h and i***t are both five, as is p***y. Any of which would have made that comment, "in chief," non-racist. Since I've been drinking tonight, I can honestly say that someone made a mistake. Since five asterisks were used, I'm inclined to say that was not racist, since I am sure that the profanity filter would have put the proper number if the "n-bomb" was used. Just saying.

07-01-2013 10:00 PM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/pol...e-posting.html

Just took a moment to re-read this. Worth the moment.
    07-01-2013 10:02 PM
    Yeah, sorry. You've proven you don't get it. Move along.
    If you say so

07-01-2013 10:04 PM
    You are the one who doesn't get it.

...And you've earned the honor of being the first and only person on AC that will ever be on my ignore list.
    07-01-2013 10:06 PM
    I assume you'll see five. I know what I see. (hint: It's not incompetent)

And we both know why I'm mentioning this. You can't hide your past.
    07-01-2013 10:06 PM
    I said I wouldn't moderate this thread and I won't/cant, but the calling each other racists needs to stop before another mod steps in.

To settle this.

I am guilty of bringing race into this discussion and here is why:

In history, there have been two other major civil conflicts where a group of people fought to obscure equal opportunity rights that were withheld from them for being "different, or lesser," or otherwise not of the norm.

The first example is the civil movement to procure voting rights for women.

The second was the civil rights movement for equal treatment of African Americans.

In both instances, a group of people, whether discriminated for race, or gender, had to fight to be given the RIGHTS that have been so "equally" bestowed on the rest of us.

The constant in women suffrage, the civil rights movement, and the gay marriage movement is that these groups of people were withheld basic rights because they were different than the majority, and deemed lesser, and less worthy of rights.

Let's stress the word rights. Its not a privilege.
    07-01-2013 10:07 PM
    There was five asterisks, not six, I counted them because I thought the "n-bomb" was used. However b***h and i***t are both five, as is p***y. Any of which would have made that comment, "in chief," non-racist. Since I've been drinking tonight, I can honestly say that someone made a mistake. Since five asterisks were used, I'm inclined to say that was not racist, since I am sure that the profanity filter would have put the proper number if the "n-bomb" was used. Just saying.

Regardless of which word was used, the whole context of the post in which that user was banned for was indeed very racist, and that will not be tolerated in these forums. Another thing we tend to not tolerate is public discussion of moderating practices, but since jerry is, well, jerry, and not a moderator per say, it will slide. I also advise against circumventing the language filters, regardless of the point being made.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    07-01-2013 10:13 PM
    Regardless of which word was used, the whole context of the post in which that user was banned for was indeed very racist, and that will not be tolerated in these forums. Another thing we tend to not tolerate is public discussion of moderating practices, but since jerry is, well, jerry, and not a moderator per say, it will slide. I also advise against circumventing the language filters, regardless of the point being made.

Since we're going to be open and honest, the ban was kept in place and made permanent when the poster in question lied about what was said. I would have been happy to revisit a gut-call on the spur of the moment, but not from someone who takes time to personally email me with a lie.

But now it's too late. I had planned to let things slide.
    07-01-2013 10:16 PM
    Since we're going to be open and honest, the ban was kept in place and made permanent when the poster in question lied about what was said. I would have been happy to revisit a gut-call on the spur of the moment, but not from someone who takes time to personally email me with a lie.

But now it's too late. I had planned to let things slide.
    I won't question your decisions. I read the post shortly afterwards and came to the similar conclusion.

07-01-2013 10:18 PM
    I won't question your decisions. I read the post shortly afterwards and came to the similar conclusion.

You should always question my decisions. :P
    gnr_2 and badbrad17 like this.
    07-01-2013 10:25 PM
    You should always question my decisions. :P
    Lol, right. How dare I assume you're in the right state of mind
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-01-2013 10:27 PM
    ...And you've earned the honor of being the first and only person on AC that will ever be on my ignore list.
    I mean there always has to be a first. If that's meant to insult me, then I hate to disappoint you.
    I assume you'll see five. I know what I see. (hint: It's not incompetent)

And we both know why I'm mentioning this. You can't hide your past.
    True, especially with the feds watching everything.

It must have been the Jack speaking, I have a potentially long and bad day ahead of me. I wasn't meaning to question his decisions, I was just pointing out that there were five asterisks. Five would not fit the word that the poster allegedly used. See, this is what I get for reading dead posts! I mean the it could have been a typo, I don't know, nor do I care. Like I said, it's the Jack speaking!

07-01-2013 10:31 PM
    I'm not going to contest much but I will say this, as a Catholic - most of these "Christian views" posted by Christians are so ignorant its ridiculous.
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-01-2013 10:38 PM
    Replace every instance of "gay" in this thread with "hispanic" or "Presbyterian" and tell me it's not discriminatory.
    That right there, is the irony of this thread. The people replacing the word 'gay' with words such as black, green, yellow and Martian are the gay marriage advocates, not us.

Arggggh... i said i would slink back to the Lounge to resume my role as forum entertainer, but i couldn't stop rubbernecking as i tried to drive past this multi-vehicle wreck of a thread.

I'll try again.

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-01-2013 10:40 PM
    That right there, is the irony of this thread. The people replacing the word 'gay' with words such as black, green, yellow and Martian are the gay marriage advocates, not us.
    Wait, what? That doesn't even what's your point?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    07-01-2013 10:42 PM

Arggggh... i said i would slink back to the Lounge to resume my role as forum entertainer, but i couldn't stop rubbernecking as i tried to drive past this thread.

I'll try again.

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    The gay marriage activists are replacing those words with gay to prove that it is in fact discrimination...

07-01-2013 10:43 PM
    I've stayed out of this thread or section of the forum for quite some time. Reason being when you start trying to explain or promote your own personal way of thinking when it comes to religion, sexual preferences and government beliefs/rights it almost always turns for the worse. We have to remember at the end of the day this is a smartphone forum and as much as we welcome discussion its a train wreck waiting to happen when these topics are discussed.

So with that said.. Enjoy your night everyone and lets move past this.

Paul
    Forums Moderator.
    07-01-2013 10:52 PM
1,813 ... 1819202122 ...