06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    I ironically was just browsing Youtube today and I found this video. I honestly did not try to search for something that related to anything on this thread. I swear Google is now fully inside my head.

This was a speaking session at Berkeley University. Some people may not want to spend the time watching the entire video, but I really did like this guys view points on a number of topics. Although he is a Christian, I do believe he is very open minded and incredibly smart. The key thing that did come up was during a Q&A session after he speaks. The first question is on Gay marriage and I did find his answer to be very good. It starts at 45:30 and goes until 52:50.

07-02-2013 08:46 PM
    Here's another great video everyone in this thread needs to watch. It's short -- be sure to watch to the end.

jdbii, Aquila, AngelArs and 1 others like this.
    07-02-2013 09:27 PM
    I thought a lot was accomplished in this thread. For one, the outpouring of support for gay rights I think is very valuable,
    Well stated. Discrimination in any form is wrong, and no excuse will ever make it right. Discrimination only causes more bitterness in society than we already have. Theres too many labels and not enough love being passed around. The Constitution says it all "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Fear is what drives both prejudice and discrimination, and only through some form of education will this fear be dissipated. Anything that infringes on the basic human rights of an individual, and promotes hatred and/or disunity in a given society is wrong, and IMO that is the very definition of discrimination.
    jdbii, nolittdroid, Aquila and 1 others like this.
    07-02-2013 09:41 PM
    I honestly did not try to search for something that related to anything on this thread. I swear Google is now fully inside my head
    Doesn't Google now tailor all our searches anyway based prior searches and data they've mined from us?

The first question is on Gay marriage and I did find his answer to be very good. It starts at 45:30 and goes until 52:50.
    I listened to minutes 45 - 52. The speaker comes across as quite charismatic, knowledgeable, and quite gifted with speech. It sounded to me like he would support gay marriage so long as the majority supports since in democracy the majority controls legislation -- if I understood him correctly and that was the argument that he was making then I suppose that he would have supported DOMA since voters passed it. The only thing, however, is that the Constitution serves as a check against unconstitutional laws that are passed by the majority.
    msndrstood, badbrad17 and Aquila like this.
    07-02-2013 10:09 PM
    Doesn't Google now tailor all our searches anyway based prior searches and data they've mined from us?

I listened to minutes 45 - 52. The speaker comes across as quite charismatic, knowledgeable, and quite gifted with speech. It sounded to me like he would support gay marriage so long as the majority supports since in democracy the majority controls legislation -- if I understood him correctly and that was the argument that he was making then I suppose that he would have supported DOMA since voters passed it. The only thing, however, is that the Constitution serves as a check against unconstitutional laws that are passed by the majority.
    We're not a democracy. We're a democratic republic.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    gnr_2 likes this.
    07-02-2013 10:35 PM

The weird thing was that I hadn't searched for any of that.

The one comment I found interesting was when he said we really have 4 different camps.

1. People who are okay with homosexuality and gay marriage.

2. People who don't agree with homosexuality or gay marriage.

3. People who are okay with homosexuality but don't agree with gay marriage.

4. People who don't agree with homosexuality but feel it is still the job of the government to determine the best outcome.

I would have thought most people would have either been 1 or 2 but after thinking about it I can see how things could be split for a lot of people. Even people from the religious community.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-03-2013 02:09 AM

The one comment I found interesting was when he said we really have 4 different camps.

4. People who don't agree with homosexuality but feel it is still the job of the government to determine the best outcome.

I would have thought most people would have either been 1 or 2 but after thinking about it I can see how things could be split for a lot of people. Even people from the religious community.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    I'm totally a 3

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    07-03-2013 07:17 AM
    If admissions were merit based and not quota based. And no, that is not what I was saying and I am insulted that you read my post that way. I know plenty of smart minorities, as well as plenty of minorities who got accepted at prestigious schools simply because of their skin color. To me, the latter is racist and puts the majority at a disadvantage.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    The GROSS inequities in the educational system prior to college are still not offset by what you term as "unfair."

<<<Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
    gnr_2 likes this.
    07-03-2013 08:26 AM
    I'm sure everybody's mother here, has told us while growing up, that "nobody ever said life is fair".

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-03-2013 08:34 AM

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Interesting summary. Since #4 is kinda the reverse of #3, I would have ordered it 1, 3, 4, 2 so it was

positive, positive

positive, negative

negative, positive

negative, negative.

(Just thinking out loud at this point. )

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-03-2013 08:41 AM
    I'm definitely a 1. It just doesn't bother me that someone is gay, and they want be able to be married, whether via civil ceremony or by the religion of their choice. Personally, I'd skip the religion part. But to each their own.

The only issue I have is semantics. I can't really embrace the 'my husband or my wife' part. It just sounds odd to me. Spouse sounds better. But my opinion doesn't matter in the end. One's happiness is what matters, whether straight or gay, being at peace with yourself and your life is what we all strive for. ...And it shouldn't depend on other's definition of happiness.

Sent via Note II
    gnr_2 likes this.
    07-03-2013 09:00 AM
    I'm definitely a 1. It just doesn't bother me that someone is gay, and they want be able to be married, whether via civil ceremony or by the religion of their choice. Personally, I'd skip the religion part. But to each their own.

The only issue I have is semantics. I can't really embrace the 'my husband or my wife' part. It just sounds odd to me. Spouse sounds better. But my opinion doesn't matter in the end. One's happiness is what matters, whether straight or gay, being at peace with yourself and your life is what we all strive for. ...And it shouldn't depend on other's definition of happiness.

Sent via Note II
    That husband and wife gender role stuff is from the 50's, personally I find it quite derogatory. As often times it implies the husband "works", while the wife sits at home and does all the real work.

Honestly though when I think politics, it reminds me of this picture.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    msndrstood, GadgetGator and gnr_2 like this.
    07-03-2013 09:11 AM
    That husband and wife gender role stuff is from the 50's, personally I find it quite derogatory. As often times it implies the husband "works", while the wife sits at home and does all the real work.

Honestly though when I think politics, it reminds me of this picture.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/03/e6y3u2uh.jpg

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    You will have to go back a little further than the 50's. It actually was from Genesis 2:24 - For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-03-2013 10:30 AM
    You will have to go back a little further than the 50's. It actually was from Genesis 2:24 - For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    +1000
    07-03-2013 10:33 AM

Sent from my Nexus 4
    One could go back further still to the Sumerians.

Transmitted through spacetime.
    msndrstood and badbrad17 like this.
    07-03-2013 10:34 AM
    One could go back further still to the Sumerians.

Genesis is as far back as anyone can go. No one existed before that.
    07-03-2013 10:42 AM
    Everything is relative.

Sent via Note II
    07-03-2013 10:53 AM
    Didn't you say Genesis was 6,000 years ago? That sounds like approximately 4,000 BC. If so, there were cultures that existed long before that. Writing is older than that, as is the Egyptian culture. The Sumerian culture died out or was incorporated into other cultures before the Egyptians became an empire and had a culture that, by their own astrological based record keeping lasted at least 15,000 years. Some experts, deciphering their tablets, estimate that their culture began between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago. It is interesting to note, that they have very similar notions about some mythologies, including Moses and the flood, etc. But to say they existed during the bronze age is ridiculous.

Additionally, we know now humans in their present recognizable state came to being around 150,000-250,000 years ago. 6,000 years doesn't even cover up to the last ice age. Theologian experts believe Genesis to be allegorical, not literal: expressing the concept of creation in bronze age philosophical terms, not an explanation of the physics: the actual functions of space and time.

Is your premise that the Sumerians are not real? That their cities were put there by God to test your faith? Or merely that, around 4,000 years ago, they looked into the stars and mathematically discovered what the stars would have looked like for millennium prior to their existence, in a time where the Hebrews still thought the Sun revolves around the Earth? Granted, they did have a very adept understanding of mathematics, and our numerical systems stem from their roots... but I'm not sure most people today could draw the sky on a specific day 10,000 years ago without the aid of a computer.

We already acknowledged your right to your faith and to respect that you believe it.. but I think it's also been shown that there are more than one sets of views on the accuracy of those statements. Is there a single source of evidence to the new Earth theory? Do you honestly believe Noah lived 666 years? Here is a secret that apparently they don't teach in Sunday school: The numbers in the bible are in the bible for a specific reason and it has nothing whatsoever to do with expressing dates, ages, times, etc. Study up on the ancient mysteries. It should take less than 10 years to fully understand it for an eager student. They're far older than the Hebrew people, predate the Egyptians and there is a reason that they're kept through the ages. Jesus allegedly was a student of these mysteries during his time in Egypt.

I never understand why people think an understanding of reality and having faith are mutually exclusive. It'd be possible for one to have both, but choosing madness instead of reason directly flies in the face of both. There are only two possibilities: 1. Either Genesis describes something much further back in time than 6,000 years ago or 2. Genesis is being misinterpreted. Accepting either one is not disbelieve or blasphemy. If God gave you a brain, it wasn't for you to waste on the blind acceptance of bronze age "science", despite the availability of much better information now.
    07-03-2013 11:01 AM
    Didn't you say Genesis was 6,000 years ago? That sounds like approximately 4,000 BC. If so, there were cultures that existed long before that. Writing is older than that, as is the Egyptian culture. The Sumerian culture died out or was incorporated into other cultures before the Egyptians became an empire and had a culture that, by their own astrological based record keeping lasted at least 15,000 years. Some experts, deciphering their tablets, estimate that their culture began between 50,000 and 100,000 years ago. It is interesting to note, that they have very similar notions about some mythologies, including Moses and the flood, etc. But to say they existed during the bronze age is ridiculous.

Additionally, we know now humans in their present recognizable state came to being around 150,000-250,000 years ago. 6,000 years doesn't even cover up to the last ice age. Theologian experts believe Genesis to be allegorical, not literal: expressing the concept of creation in bronze age philosophical terms, not an explanation of the physics: the actual functions of space and time.

Is your premise that the Sumerians are not real? That their cities were put there by God to test your faith? Or merely that, around 4,000 years ago, they looked into the stars and mathematically discovered what the stars would have looked like for millennium prior to their existence, in a time where the Hebrews still thought the Sun revolves around the Earth? Granted, they did have a very adept understanding of mathematics, and our numerical systems stem from their roots... but I'm not sure most people today could draw the sky on a specific day 10,000 years ago without the aid of a computer.

We already acknowledged your right to your faith and to respect that you believe it.. but I think it's also been shown that there are more than one sets of views on the accuracy of those statements. Is there a single source of evidence to the new Earth theory? Do you honestly believe Noah lived 666 years? Here is a secret that apparently they don't teach in Sunday school: The numbers in the bible are in the bible for a specific reason and it has nothing whatsoever to do with expressing dates, ages, times, etc. Study up on the ancient mysteries. It should take less than 10 years to fully understand it for an eager student. They're far older than the Hebrew people, predate the Egyptians and there is a reason that they're kept through the ages. Jesus allegedly was a student of these mysteries during his time in Egypt.

I never understand why people think an understanding of reality and having faith are mutually exclusive. It'd be possible for one to have both, but choosing madness instead of reason directly flies in the face of both. There are only two possibilities: 1. Either Genesis describes something much further back in time than 6,000 years ago or 2. Genesis is being misinterpreted. Accepting either one is not disbelieve or blasphemy. If God gave you a brain, it wasn't for you to waste on the blind acceptance of bronze age "science", despite the availability of much better information now.
    I love this post. :thumbup:

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    msndrstood, gnr_2 and Aquila like this.
    07-03-2013 11:09 AM
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Age. The stone age ended before new earth theory begins.

07-03-2013 11:15 AM
    Written records are the most reliable. Carbon dating has several problems with its system of dating.

http://www.truthingenesis.com/2013/0...e/?wprptest2=2

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-03-2013 11:18 AM
    Written records are the most reliable. Carbon dating has several problems with its system of dating.

http://www.truthingenesis.com/2013/0...e/?wprptest2=2

Carbon dating? The Egyptians and Sumerians are both far older than the Hebrews. Their accounts are recorded in clay and stone. And that's just in one region. Asia and the Americas both have older cultures as well. The Hebrews didn't even write theirs down until around 4000 years ago... It has two thousand years of being only an oral tradition.

07-03-2013 11:29 AM
    Do you guys study the religion or only what it says? There are more books in the world.... lol

msndrstood and gnr_2 like this.
    07-03-2013 11:31 AM
    Do you guys study the religion or only what it says? There are more books in the world.... lol

I actually do study. I don't just accept someone's word for something.
    My point was that there are many flaws in the systems science uses to date things, by their own admission.

07-03-2013 12:13 PM
    I actually do study. I don't just accept someone's word for something.
    My point was that there are many flaws in the systems science uses to date things, by their own admission.

And there are even more flaws in a system that depended on oral transmission of information for over a thousand years.

The systems science use, even if there are flaws, are far mor accurate than anything you've yet provided as 'evidence'.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    gnr_2 and Aquila like this.
    07-03-2013 12:34 PM
1,813 ... 2021222324 ...