06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 2223242526 ...
tools
    Once again youre trying to say science proves this and science proves that. Sciences proves itself wrong frequently. You may look at that in a positive way but I do not. None of us were here a million years ago so it boils down to you believe a different book than I do. I'm cool with that.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-03-2013 09:09 PM
    The Vatican (yes, I know they don't speak for all Christians) publicly accepted evolution by natural selection, as do theologians. They just say it's a mechanism of creation. I'm not sure why the public doesn't believe their own experts.
    The Catholics aren't the problem when it comes to evolution. It's the fundamentalists that like to deny science.
    msndrstood and Aquila like this.
    07-03-2013 09:09 PM
    Sciences proves itself wrong frequently.
    It's called progress, and "frequently" does not equate to all the time.

You may look at that in a positive way but I do not.
    ....he says while posting on a computer... Ever been to a doctor? Do you walk to work? Do you use electricity? So apparently you just want to cherry pick which parts of science are wrong. And what does discriminating against gays have to do with science, exactly?
    msndrstood, GadgetGator and Aquila like this.
    07-03-2013 09:25 PM
    LOL.... I know, and the same thing happens whenever I hear someone say something like "god bless America'. I mean I absolutely LOVE this country, and I would defend it in any way that I could, but when I hear that I just have to think "Wait a minute, if god created the entire planet then why would god just "bless" the dirt in one corner of it, and ignore the rest of the planet"? And why would an omnipotent, omniscient being need to be told what to do anyway?
    That is an absolutely idiotic statement. You are just trolling now.
    07-03-2013 09:38 PM
    You can disprove the creationists with science, and that science hasn't changed much since the first theory was postulated. It always amuses me when people try to claim that evolution doesn't exists when both science and history prove that it does.
    Science and history do not prove anyt such thing. It's speculation. You believe in speculation, and I believe in my faith. To each his own.
    cdmjlt369 and The Hustleman like this.
    07-03-2013 09:42 PM
    Well first please learn what the word trolling means before you start throwing it around, and second, prove that an omnipotent, omniscient being would need to be told what to do by a human.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-03-2013 09:45 PM
    Science and history do not prove anyt such thing.
    Really? How so?
    07-03-2013 09:48 PM
    I wasn't the one that turned it into a science/ religion thread. As I stated earlier, how a person chooses to live is their choice. I'm not their judge.

07-03-2013 09:50 PM
    Disagree. I did not find AngelArs statement unreasonable. They are kind of interesting a points. You would think that mortals would politely ask God to bless America, not state it outright.
    GadgetGator and msndrstood like this.
    07-03-2013 09:50 PM
    Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.
    there is some wisdom in the Bible.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    07-03-2013 09:55 PM
    Well first please learn what the word trolling means before you start throwing it around, and second, prove that an omnipotent, omniscient being would need to be told what to do by a human.
    Trolling is posting to incite people, not to add to a discussion. And with an idiotic statement like you made, that is trolling. And humans don't tell God what to do, they ask. And if a saved person asks in Jesus' name, their prayer will be answered, but in God's time.
    07-03-2013 09:55 PM
    Disagree. I did not find AngelArs statement unreasonable. They are kind of interesting a points. You would think that mortals would politely ask God to bless America, not state it outright.
    "God bless America" is a request, not a demand.
    07-03-2013 09:59 PM
    First of all...you ask when you pray. You don't tell. Also when people say " God bless America, half of them say it just out of habit from something they've heard. The right thing to say kind of thing. Many things in life has a system to it. Just because there's a system set up doesn't mean that system will be used correctly.

07-03-2013 10:00 PM
    there is some wisdom in the Bible.
    The Bible is a guide to live a Christian life. And you are correct, there is plenty of wisdom in the Bible, especially the words in red.

And on another subject, if more people followed the Bible, even remotely, then 50,000,000 unborn babies would not have been murdered since Roe v Wade. But that is a topic for another day.
    The Hustleman likes this.
    07-03-2013 10:01 PM
    Really? How so?
    Apparently the FACT that there are cultures older than 6,000 years old doesn't sway people into believing that 6,000 is an incorrect number even though 6,000 is based on bad math that utilizes a bad set of assumptions and not a date stamped inside the cover. I have no evidence that God didn't create the world, but I can prove that it was longer than 6,000 years old and every single intellectual theologian acknowledges both this fact and the fact of evolution by natural selection. Apparently some people didn't read my post and/or do the research about symbolism in the ancient world.

Here again is proof:

Stone Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's in the first paragraph for those having trouble finding it.

Here are another couple of sources for how to determine the age of the Earth via actual thinking and measurement (again, accepted by biblical scholars):
    Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    History of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to Reiterate: Acceptance of facts in no way undermines God. If God created the universe and the Earth, this is the HOW of it. Misinterpreting the bible in ways that contradict biblical experts for no common sense reason is not conducive to reason or faith.

If there are questions or specific points that you don't understand or agree with, please reference those instead of blanket statements of, "science evolves, and therefore is not true!" It is more true because it evolves it's understanding. That's a claim another book I've read cannot claim. When it's wrong, it has to be wrong forever. A fact that literalism seem to ignore.

To the literalists:

Did you have your daughter stoned to death the first time she argued with you? Have you stoned to death every person that has used the Lord's name in vain? For touching Mount Sinai? For adultery, including being raped? For working on a Saturday?

In modern versions of John 8 Jesus seems to loosely oppose the stoning to death of an adulteress, however that same story is not in the oldest and most accurate (regarded) manuscripts, thus scholars aren't sure of whether or not it should be considered canon.

It's extremely unclear why there are extra passages now that did not previously exist and/or entire books that exist and were considered part of the traditions until the 5th century, but that's one of the things that makes it so interesting to decipher! Guess I'm not sure why we should take a backwater preacher's word for it when it disagrees with said experts, but maybe you can enlighten me.
    07-03-2013 10:11 PM
    Science and history do not prove anyt such thing. It's speculation. You believe in speculation, and I believe in my faith. To each his own.
    It is not speculation. Not in the slightest. You can have your faith; you cannot deny something that has been proven by science.
    Aquila and AngelArs like this.
    07-03-2013 10:17 PM
    The Bible is a guide to live a Christian life. And you are correct, there is plenty of wisdom in the Bible, especially the words in red.

And on another subject, if more people followed the Bible, even remotely, then 50,000,000 unborn babies would not have been murdered since Roe v Wade. But that is a topic for another day.
    If people ignored it, similar numbers of born humans would not have been murdered in it's name. You really want to talk about genocide when you only have one book and it brags about the senseless slaughter of entire tribes of people, the women and children, even livestock, murdered by Proud Moses? Do we really want to talk about biblical morality that's actually contained in the bible? Not just the sandbox orator's version? Or maybe we really do both want to let that go and just agree that the bible should not be used in any legislation at all, ever.
    msndrstood, return_0 and AngelArs like this.
    07-03-2013 10:19 PM
    Apparently the FACT that there are cultures older than 6,000 years old doesn't sway people into believing that 6,000 is an incorrect number even though 6,000 is based on bad math that utilizes a bad set of assumptions and not a date stamped inside the cover. I have no evidence that God didn't create the world, but I can prove that it was longer than 6,000 years old and every single intellectual theologian acknowledges both this fact and the fact of evolution by natural selection. Apparently some people didn't read my post and/or do the research about symbolism in the ancient world.

Here again is proof:

Stone Age - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's in the first paragraph for those having trouble finding it.

Here are another couple of sources for how to determine the age of the Earth via actual thinking and measurement (again, accepted by biblical scholars):
    Age of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    History of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to Reiterate: Acceptance of facts in no way undermines God. If God created the universe and the Earth, this is the HOW of it. Misinterpreting the bible in ways that contradict biblical experts for no common sense reason is not conducive to reason or faith.

If there are questions or specific points that you don't understand or agree with, please reference those instead of blanket statements of, "science evolves, and therefore is not true!" It is more true because it evolves it's understanding. That's a claim another book I've read cannot claim. When it's wrong, it has to be wrong forever. A fact that literalism seem to ignore.

To the literalists:

Did you have your daughter stoned to death the first time she argued with you? Have you stoned to death every person that has used the Lord's name in vain? For touching Mount Sinai? For adultery, including being raped? For working on a Saturday?

In modern versions of John 8 Jesus seems to loosely oppose the stoning to death of an adulteress, however that same story is not in the oldest and most accurate (regarded) manuscripts, thus scholars aren't sure of whether or not it should be considered canon.

It's extremely unclear why there are extra passages now that did not previously exist and/or entire books that exist and were considered part of the traditions until the 5th century, but that's one of the things that makes it so interesting to decipher! Guess I'm not sure why we should take a backwater preacher's word for it when it disagrees with said experts, but maybe you can enlighten me.
    Also, I wonder how many of them have hair growing for miles since haircuts are forbidden as well.
    07-03-2013 10:19 PM
    If people ignored it, similar numbers of born humans would not have been murdered in it's name. You really want to talk about genocide when you only have one book and it brags about the senseless slaughter of entire tribes of people, the women and children, even livestock, murdered by Proud Moses? Do we really want to talk about biblical morality that's actually contained in the bible? Or maybe we really do both want to let that go and just agree that the bible should not be used in any legislation at all, ever.
    If some Christians cared as much about the living as they do about the unborn, the world would be a very different place.
    07-03-2013 10:20 PM
    One thing is evident to me...half of the people commenting haven't read the bible, less than that have studied it. And without your faith in the right place, you can't fully understand it.

07-03-2013 10:33 PM
    These were Hebrew laws, not God's.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    07-03-2013 10:34 PM
    These were Hebrew laws, not God's.
    Yep...man was under law until Jesus came. Now under Grace...

07-03-2013 10:39 PM
    If some Christians cared as much about the living as they do about the unborn, the world would be a very different place.
    Someone has to care about the unborn. But luckily, the country is now a larger percentage of pro-life than pro-choice. And a few states are trying to pretty much shut down abortion. I just don't understand how mothers can murder their children.
    07-03-2013 10:40 PM
    A classic retort for people who don't have a valid argument or rebuttal. By calling him a troll, you admitted that you couldn't refute his statements.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    AngelArs and msndrstood like this.
    07-03-2013 10:40 PM
    ....he says while posting on a computer... Ever been to a doctor? Do you walk to work? Do you use electricity? So apparently you just want to cherry pick which parts of science are wrong. And what does discriminating against gays have to do with science, exactly?
    Excellent point. Pretty sure no god created the smartphone or gave doctors instructions.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    AngelArs and msndrstood like this.
    07-03-2013 10:41 PM
1,813 ... 2223242526 ...