06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 2829303132 ...
tools
    We if you are asking me based on my personal beliefs and what I have read biblically then I would say there could be a number of ways to answer this. Or at the very least determine what I think most Christians would believe.

1. Christians only believe in the God of the Bible which states that He is the only true God and that any other gods are false. So in this case, people who are not Christians are not praying to God but to something else.

2. The something else could be an idol or inert object (ie a gold statue) and or something with no substantial ability for power (ie a cow). For me I don't believe that any prayer being sent to any of these things are going any where.

3. There are some religions that do follow the God of the Bible but don't accept Jesus as the savior of their souls which for me invalidates their ability to approach God in a personal way. The Book of Hebrews discusses how Christ bridged the gap between the high priests that were needed in the old testament in order to approach God and the Ark of the Covenant in the Holy of Holies. Without this important piece we still have no mediator between God (who is perfectly righteous and holy) and man (who is inherently evil). This is integral part of why Christians can pray directly to God. And even why the Catholic confessional is also a flawed system and unneeded.

4. There are also some people who pray to other "gods" that I believe could be praying to an evil force that is also Biblical. We can call it Satan etc. In this case I do believe that they are in fact praying to a true being of power but not to God.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    But don't catholics pray to idols, I thought one of the commandments went something like "though shalt have no idols before me" or something similar to that effect. But then again they also claim to communicate with God through a man, also known as an oracle. The very reason they persecuted earlier paganistic religions, but use it to elevate their own.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    07-04-2013 03:02 PM
    But don't catholics pray to idols, I thought one of the commandments went something like "though shalt have no idols before me" or something similar to that effect. But then again they also claim to communicate with God through a man, also known as an oracle. The very reason they persecuted earlier paganistic religions, but use it to elevate their own.

No, Catholics don't pray to idols. The statues in church are a visual aid to focus on during prayer. I've never heard of communicating with God through an oracle, except for the ancient Greek oracles.

Just Google Catholic beliefs, it's a lot easier than trying to explain it. But every thing you posted is an error. Moses came down off the mountain and condemned those who worshiped the golden calf. That's old Testament. Catholicism is based on the New Testament.

Sent via Note II
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-04-2013 03:16 PM
    Sounds like a double standard to me.....
    07-04-2013 03:20 PM
    No, Catholics don't pray to idols. The statues in church are a visual aid to focus on during prayer. I've never heard of communicating with God through an oracle, except for the ancient Greek oracles.

Just Google Catholic beliefs, it's a lot easier than trying to explain it. But every thing you posted is an error. Moses came down off the mountain and condemned those who worshiped the golden calf. That's old Testament. Catholicism is based on the New Testament.

Sent via Note II
    I was talking about the pope... From what I know of catholicism he is a direct link to God, and can communicate with him. Thus the reason for why I called him an oracle. Because that is precisely what he is.

I thought prayer was to be a solitary, heads down, eyes closed state of being where you communicate directly to God. Why would you need to focus on a statue to help you pray, if your supposed to be focusing on God.

07-04-2013 03:28 PM
    No, Catholics don't pray to idols.
    Actually they do. See definition below.

The statues in church are a visual aid to focus on during prayer.
    And that's precisely what an idol is. An idol is an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
    07-04-2013 03:28 PM
    Sounds like a double standard to me.....
    No logical fallacies around here mate. I just wanted to point out the facts. I'm not unfairly discriminating against someone's beliefs to help support my own, as I don't have any.

07-04-2013 03:44 PM
    How 'bout we all agree to disagree and call it a thread?

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    07-04-2013 03:46 PM

I can sign on for that. Of course I'd much rather if we all agreed on the one point that religion should have no bearing on legislation, but since that's unlikely, I'm more than willing to say, "I think stuff, you think stuff, cool beans duder". We can always bring this all back up when we're bored in the future.
    GadgetGator and badbrad17 like this.
    07-04-2013 03:49 PM
    NOT true! Please do read EACH word in a definition, as each one is important.
    Absolutely true, according to several dictionaries: World English Dictionary
    filicide (ˈfɪlɪˌsaɪd)

n
    1. the act of killing one's own son or daughter
    2. a person who does this

[C17: from Latin fīlius son or fīlia daughter + -cide ]

filicide noun \ˈfi-lə-ˌsīd\

Definition of FILICIDE

: the murder of one's own daughter or son
    Origin of FILICIDE

Latin filius son & filia daughter + English -cide
    First Known Use: 1665
    07-04-2013 03:50 PM
    Actually they do. See definition below.

And that's precisely what an idol is. An idol is an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
    I was raised Catholic, no longer practice or believe, so I don't really feel like doing the details. Like I said, Google it.

Sent via Note II
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-04-2013 03:50 PM
    Please do explain to all of us how having children or not having children changes a words definition.
    It doesn't, but it should affect how someone would view their own unborn child. That is, if they have any conscience or moral fiber in them.
    07-04-2013 03:52 PM
    Y'all have a happy 4th! I'm outta here.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-04-2013 03:55 PM
    Sorry, I'll never agree that discrimination is acceptable. Discussing it helps others who may be on the fence to see why it shouldn't be allowed in society.
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-04-2013 03:59 PM
    Absolutely true, according to several dictionaries: World English Dictionary
    filicide (ˈfɪlɪˌsaɪd)

n
    1. the act of killing one's own son or daughter
    Great. Too bad for you that's not what you said. Glad you learned the actual definition though.
    07-04-2013 04:05 PM

But then we'll have to search for another *wet paint sign*
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-04-2013 04:05 PM
    Like I said, Google it.
    Don't have to google it. The definition is what the definition is.
    07-04-2013 04:08 PM

I agree I'm out.

07-04-2013 04:08 PM
    Originally Posted by pappy53
    Filicide is the murder of a son or daughter
    This is my earlier post, which says the same thing. So, abortion is filicide, as it is murdering a son or daughter.
    07-04-2013 04:11 PM
    Don't have to google it. The definition is what the definition is.
    Then the crucifix is an idol.

Sent via Note II
    07-04-2013 04:12 PM
    This is my earlier post, which says the same thing. So, abortion is filicide, as it is murdering a son or daughter.
    Except a son or daughter is usually regarded as a person. And abortion does not kill people.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    AngelArs likes this.
    07-04-2013 04:13 PM
    It doesn't
    Great, then please don't imply that it does.

it should affect how someone would view their own unborn child.
    That is only your opinion. Many things contribute to a persons life and IMO only the person walking in those shoes should have a vote in deciding what's best for them personally.
    07-04-2013 04:13 PM
    Sorry, I'll never agree that discrimination is acceptable. Discussing it helps others who may be on the fence to see why it shouldn't be allowed in society.
    First of all, I never said that discrimination is acceptable.

Secondly, where in these 740+ posts have you seen anyone reconsider their thought process? I surely haven't seen that here.

badbrad17 likes this.
    07-04-2013 04:14 PM
    This is my earlier post, which says the same thing.
    Seriously, are you blind? Those two sentences say different things and if you can't understand something that basic then discussing the issue with you is futile.
    07-04-2013 04:16 PM
    How nice.
    07-04-2013 04:19 PM

Sent via Note II
    I'm sorry I'm back to clarify, the crucifix is a symbol and a statue is an idol. A symbol is something people rally behind. An idol is used to represent a belief.

07-04-2013 04:22 PM
1,813 ... 2829303132 ...