06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 3839404142 ...
tools
    God doesn't want to hurt anyone.
    First of all even if you could prove there's a god no human being could possibly know what a omnipresent, omnibenevolent, omnipotent being wants, assuming they would anything anyway.
    07-06-2013 05:46 PM
    God doesn't want to hurt anyone.
    Really? the Bible itself points out that ALL evil comes from God, anyway...

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
    07-06-2013 05:57 PM

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Mankind messed it all up. He wants fellowship through free will. So much of what is being brought up the concept of freewill is not being taken into consideration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-06-2013 06:19 PM
    Mankind messed it all up. He wants fellowship through free will. So much of what is being brought up the concept of freewill is not being taken into consideration.

He quotes directly from the bible and you're trying to say that mankind messed it up? Okay...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-06-2013 06:35 PM
    He wants fellowship through free will. So much of what is being brought up the concept of freewill is not being taken into consideration.
    Again, no one knows what "he wants". One thing is for certain, you cannot have free will when you live in a prison, and I don't mean being in a jail.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-06-2013 06:38 PM
    It's hard to choose who makes a better god, Morgan Freeman or George Burns. In the new TV show 'Save Me' Betty White plays god

http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img/it...9rGXyKSGDn.jpg
    Don't question his greatness, that's treason! It's a very well known fact that Morgan Freeman is god.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    msndrstood and badbrad17 like this.
    07-06-2013 06:38 PM
    Don't question his greatness, that's treason! It's a very well known fact that Morgan Freeman is god.
    Well I'm certainly one of his followers. Love his new TV show 'Through The Wormhole'...
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-06-2013 06:43 PM
    First off... Why do you have to be mean about it? I am not trying to slam you, so why the attitude? We should be able to be civil without the negative vibes.

Secondly I clearly stated "True" Christians. This means that the couple practice what they believe and put their faith as a priority in their lives. They pray together and are active participants spiritually. The survey you linked does not define these things. Although they didn't just ask if someone considered themselves to be Christians (which is good because most people say yes then will also say things like we came from Aliens). But they still missed a number of key things in their definition of what Christian is. Although you may cry foul, to me this makes all the difference in the results. For example they asked if they believed they were Christians and that Jesus was the only way to salvation. Many said yes. But when asked if their faith and God was a priority in their life they ranked it low. So in this case the people are only giving lip service to their faith and are not any different. But when people did rank faith as a top priority the divorce rate was much lower than any other group.

Here is a counter point to the Barna survey
    http://sapphiresky.org/2010/03/04/ch...divorce-rates/

Sent from my Nexus 4
    You do realize that surveys can be easily skewed and in the professional world, they truly mean close to nothing. That's almost as ridiculous as saying that your marriage will last based on how long you've known your spouse.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-06-2013 06:44 PM
    He quotes directly from the bible and you're trying to say that mankind messed it up? Okay...

My translation says darkness. Already knew he created darkness. He then created the light to seperate the darkness. Everyone on this topic will use the translation, version or source that backs up their view.

07-06-2013 06:58 PM
    Already knew he created darkness. He then created the light to seperate the darkness.
    Actually he supposedly created light, but somehow didn't create the sun until the 4th day. Weird.

Everyone on this topic will use the translation, version or source that backs up their view.
    Not for me. I don't form a viewpoint until I study both sides of the facts. Then I base my viewpoint of those facts. I am ALWAYS open-minded. I welcome you to try present your side of the facts so they can be weighed.
    07-06-2013 07:37 PM
    My translation says darkness. Already knew he created darkness. He then created the light to seperate the darkness. Everyone on this topic will use the translation, version or source that backs up their view.

What you're saying still doesn't make any sense because it doesn't change the meaning of the quote he posted.

07-06-2013 07:39 PM
    Actually he supposedly created light, but somehow didn't create the sun until the 4th day. Weird.

Not for me. I don't form a viewpoint until I study both sides of the facts. Then I base my viewpoint of those facts. I am ALWAYS open-minded. I welcome you to try present your side of the facts so they can be weighed.
    Yet you chose to use the version that said evil and not darkness.

07-06-2013 07:41 PM

Go to this link. It lists most of the most commonly used translations. Guess what, not a single one says darkness.

New International Version (2011)
    I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.

New Living Translation (2007)
    I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times. I, the LORD, am the one who does these things.

English Standard Version (2001)
    I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.

New American Standard Bible (1995)
    The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (2009)
    I form light and create darkness, I make success and create disaster; I, Yahweh, do all these things."

International Standard Version (2012)
    "I form light and create darkness, I make goodness and create disaster. I am the LORD, who does all these things.

NET Bible (2006)
    I am the one who forms light and creates darkness; the one who brings about peace and creates calamity. I am the LORD, who accomplishes all these things.

GOD'S WORD Translation (1995)
    I make light and create darkness. I make blessings and create disasters. I, the LORD, do all these things.

King James 2000 Bible (2003)
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create calamity: I the LORD do all these things.

American King James Version
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

American Standard Version
    I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

Douay-Rheims Bible
    I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

Darby Bible Translation
    forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.

English Revised Version
    I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am the LORD, that doeth all these things.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
    I form the light, and create darkness. I make peace, and create calamity. I am Yahweh, who does all these things.

Young's Literal Translation
    Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I am Jehovah, doing all these things.'
    07-06-2013 08:00 PM
    I am not interested in how the church waters something down. All of the translation kind of proves that's it's really just a man-made book.
    07-06-2013 08:01 PM
    Go to this link. It lists most of the most commonly used translations. Guess what, not a single one says darkness.
    Ok...

07-06-2013 08:16 PM
    Hey guys... guess what.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=294311

Can we get back on topic now?

JHBThree, Aquila and GadgetGator like this.
    07-06-2013 08:19 PM
    Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

By his own admission, Jesus abolished nothing about the old laws. He did add a new one:

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Nowhere in any of the current books of the bible, or any of the books that have been removed, does Jesus ever say the old laws have been abolished.
    Maybe not in those words but the requirements of the law changed. The verses in Hebrews is what I was referring to. As well as the verses that state all laws are full filled in this. Love the Lord God with all your heart, soul and mind. And love your neighbour as yourself. In the old testament sacrifice and death was required to forgive sin.

Hebrews 8 says:
    But now Jesus has obtained a superior ministry, since the covenant that he mediates is also better and is enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, no one would have looked for a second one. 8 But showing its fault, God says to them, Look, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will complete a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. 9 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their fathers, on the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not continue in my covenant and I had no regard for them, says the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will establish with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and I will inscribe them on their hearts. And I will be their God and they will be my people. 11 And there will be no need at all for each one to teach his countryman or each one to teach his brother saying, Know the Lord, since they will all know me, from the least to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful toward their evil deeds, and their sins I will remember no longer. 13 When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-06-2013 08:41 PM
    Tapatalk double post.
    07-06-2013 08:45 PM
    Hey guys... guess what.

Nice try.

Sent via Note II
    07-06-2013 08:45 PM
    The Bible, God's word, isn't flawed. It's the humans that are flawed.
    They made those laws, not Him.
    Mankind is flawed, therefore by very definition, anything man has had a hand in, is also prone to flaws of some sort. it's just unavoidable. Especially when MULTIPLE people are involved. Ever hear of the game "telephone"?

On another note..why are we all talking about religion here when there is a perfectly good thread for that subject in this forum already?
    07-06-2013 08:54 PM
    Nice try.
    Yeah, I was just going to say, poor return_0....
    07-06-2013 08:57 PM
    Hey guys... guess what.

msndrstood, return_0 and AngelArs like this.
    07-06-2013 08:57 PM
    Maybe not in those words but the requirements of the law changed. The verses in Hebrews is what I was referring to. As well as the verses that state all laws are full filled in this. Love the Lord God with all your heart, soul and mind. And love your neighbour as yourself. In the old testament sacrifice and death was required to forgive sin.

Hebrews 8 says:
    But now Jesus has obtained a superior ministry, since the covenant that he mediates is also better and is enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, no one would have looked for a second one. 8 But showing its fault, God says to them, Look, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will complete a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. 9 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their fathers, on the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they did not continue in my covenant and I had no regard for them, says the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will establish with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and I will inscribe them on their hearts. And I will be their God and they will be my people. 11 And there will be no need at all for each one to teach his countryman or each one to teach his brother saying, Know the Lord, since they will all know me, from the least to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful toward their evil deeds, and their sins I will remember no longer. 13 When he speaks of a new covenant, he makes the first obsolete. Now what is growing obsolete and aging is about to disappear.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    OK, I understand that interpretation. But the question of the old laws (whether they be of man or god) still standing is very important. Jesus says they still stand, with what we're told is a direct quote.

If this, like all things attributed to Jesus (according to those who believe the bible is a holy document, and not a written pseudo-history) is true, then anyone who eats shrimp is an abomination in the eyes of god, much like a practicing homosexual.

Leviticus is very clear on this matter.
    Jesus was very clear to say that these laws still stand.
    Why is one of these laws (read: commandments) given higher precedence than another?
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-06-2013 08:58 PM
    OK, I understand that interpretation. But the question of the old laws (whether they be of man or god) still standing is very important. Jesus says they still stand, with what we're told is a direct quote.

If this, like all things attributed to Jesus (according to those who believe the bible is a holy document, and not a written pseudo-history) is true, then anyone who eats shrimp is an abomination in the eyes of god, much like a practicing homosexual.

Leviticus is very clear on this matter.
    Jesus was very clear to say that these laws still stand.
    Why is one of these laws (read: commandments) given higher precedence than another?
    Easy answer: because they undermine the point of view being expressed. Same reason gay marriage foes conveniently ignore the other parts of the bible and focus only on the parts that support their point of view.

GadgetGator likes this.
    07-06-2013 09:03 PM

So again you take part of my post and take it out of context. I say that it was based on the old testament and Jesus changed that and you quote the old testament. :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-06-2013 09:08 PM
1,813 ... 3839404142 ...