06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 4950515253 ...
tools
    I'll leave you with this.

http://conservapedia.com/Conservative_Bible_Project

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    12-23-2013 05:13 PM
    I stated earlier I guess I could be called Christian. I really hate using that label because of what the media has painted us as. Heck we do deserve it to a degree -- although how much (or little) we deserve it is up for debate.

My reason is this. Grab a Bible, read through Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The Gospels, written directly about Jesus time on earth. Until I can come decently close to treating EVERYONE around me and EVERYONE I have connections to with the level of love, respect, and compassion that Jesus showed, especially to those that society in his day deemed "sinners" "evil" or otherwise on the fringe... until I can do that, I can't really look myself in the eye and wear the label of Christian with pride. I generally wear it with some degree of shame -- partly for what people think when they hear the word "Christian" and partly for how poorly Christians have treated others in its history on the planet.

EDIT: "If everybody followed Scripture, genuine love and respect would abound toward people of every ethnicity, religion and sexual preference. This is because the Bible is replete with passages about loving our neighbors and treating people with respect; Jesus even threatened severe judgment on anyone who verbally abuses another person (Matt. 5:22).

Have Christians done great things for society? Yes, absolutely. Mother Theresa is a great example but there are many others. Has much harm been done by television evangelists, the Crusades, and other nasty events all in the name of "God"? Absolutely as well."

Article lifted from an article found here: http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/...laws-in-the-us

Just thought I'd post where I'm coming from.
    12-23-2013 05:32 PM
    Does it make a difference that the culture portrayed on the show is NOT one of the actual actors?

That they're all previously wealthy, very (as in extremely, sweater-vest and all) Hampshire yuppie families that don't believe any of the stuff they're talking about? They're not "rednecks", they're top 1% income families that are acting that way for a job to make many more millions off of the media's exploitation of actual "rednecks". So, given that this guy doesn't actually think what he's saying, he's merely either mimicking or mocking the views of people who do believe that, staying in character and doing it for money/fame/publicity or to start controversy, which leads to increased polarization and therefore emotional interface with the show/cast/etc....

To me that makes his comments 10x worse, because he's not speaking his mind and being called out for being a bigot, he's pretending to be a bigot, and then acting offended that people are upset about it. All that said, 10x worse than the .000001% I could care is still only .00001% and what one silly tool says being "offensive" or not shouldn't, in my opinion, be news. A&E firing (or suspending, or whatever) him, also not news. They have the right to try to protect their brand however they want, and this guy saying stupid stuff, especially while in character, has the potential to do that. Then again, so does angering the not so sleeping bear of all the people who are "offended" that he was called out on it... slow news day, some people were stupid, some people were offended, people of both camps on both sides of the argument. No 1st amendment issues anywhere in sight... yup, slow news day.
    jdbii and msndrstood like this.
    12-23-2013 06:53 PM
    I'll leave you with this.

Conservative Bible Project - Conservapedia

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Feel like we had this conversation just 1600 years ago and again 400 years ago. If you have to edit it, it's wrong, ergo you don't believe it, ergo it's useless and unimportant, ergo you don't care what it says and have no incentive to try to edit it other than the manipulation of the belief structures of people who do believe it. Malice and naked corruption are the only excuses that don't go into paradox worse than theories about traveling back in time and effects leading to causes.
    msndrstood likes this.
    12-23-2013 06:57 PM
    I just wonder what would have happened if Phil was a devout Muslim and similar questions had been asked. I'm fairly certain that devout Muslims are more "extreme" in their views then most Christians. Can you imagine what would have happened if they had interviewed a Muslim and he had defended his point of view from the Koran? Have you guys looked into what they think about homosexuality? or theft? or infidels (unbelievers - meaning pretty much anyone who ISN'T Muslim)?
    What they say they believe/follow and what they actually do are completely different things. I definitely cannot speak about Muslims as a whole, but any soldier coming out of Afghanistan can tell you about the rampant homosexuality between men in Afghanistan. In some cases it was explained that they view it as (similar to a sin) to take pleasure in copulating for procreation and therefore have sex with other men. It's kind of a everyone knows but no one speaks type of thing. Added to that, there is a gargantuan rape culture, both of women and men, especially related to local politics. In a place where everyone with power is ridiculously wealthy because of money the US throws their way, bribery usually takes place with heroin and coercion with violence, including rape. The closest thing we have to that culture is prison, except in prisons (for men) there are no women to create the option.

I think A&E knew all along Phil would say this knowing his beliefs so they could cash in on it.
    I think this is much more likely than accidental, given that Phil probably doesn't actually believe any of what he says (said). He's an actor playing a role. He did the interview in character, so we're seeing the character's beliefs, not the actors. The actor isn't a "redneck christian" or any variation of whatever he's believed to be.
    12-23-2013 07:07 PM
    Does it make a difference that the culture portrayed on the show is NOT one of the actual actors?

That they're all previously wealthy, very (as in extremely, sweater-vest and all) Hampshire yuppie families that don't believe any of the stuff they're talking about? They're not "rednecks", they're top 1% income families that are acting that way for a job to make many more millions off of the media's exploitation of actual "rednecks". So, given that this guy doesn't actually think what he's saying, he's merely either mimicking or mocking the views of people who do believe that, staying in character and doing it for money/fame/publicity or to start controversy, which leads to increased polarization and therefore emotional interface with the show/cast/etc....

To me that makes his comments 10x worse, because he's not speaking his mind and being called out for being a bigot, he's pretending to be a bigot, and then acting offended that people are upset about it. All that said, 10x worse than the .000001% I could care is still only .00001% and what one silly tool says being "offensive" or not shouldn't, in my opinion, be news. A&E firing (or suspending, or whatever) him, also not news. They have the right to try to protect their brand however they want, and this guy saying stupid stuff, especially while in character, has the potential to do that. Then again, so does angering the not so sleeping bear of all the people who are "offended" that he was called out on it... slow news day, some people were stupid, some people were offended, people of both camps on both sides of the argument. No 1st amendment issues anywhere in sight... yup, slow news day.
    Matt, you "could care less" or you couldn't care less? If you could care less, then you still care about it too much.

This is a signature.
    Aquila likes this.
    12-23-2013 07:19 PM
    Matt, you "could care less" or you couldn't care less? If you could care less, then you still care about it too much.

This is a signature.
    I like where you're going... but I don't think it applies here. I specified that the maximum value of my caring is .000001%. Not sure what it's a percent of, but the value is lower than anything we need to measure, so lets just call it "0" haha
    12-23-2013 07:22 PM
    He equated all sexual immorality. In the Bible, all sin is more or less equal and is connected to further sin.

And if you ought to try living in the South before having such an ignorant and bigoted attitude. I have lived in the south my entire life and never seen discrimination on any measure able level for any reason. Race, sexual orientation, or otherwise. And I have lived down the road from one of the main KKK hubs of the world before and have also lived just outside of Birmingham with all of its supposed civil rights "issues". Racism and hatred may still exists here, but you would have to look hard to find it. Just as I am sure you can find it in California and New York.

Only someone living in a totally ignorant state of mind would claim that since they haven't seen racism or homophobia happen, it doesn't exist. It's a warped way of thinking. The reason I don't live in the south anymore is because I have lived in the south. I'm not just guessing or presuming what happens there.
    msndrstood likes this.
    12-23-2013 08:14 PM
    The only difference between racism in the North from racism in the South is that in the North, it's much more discreet.
    Believe me. I know.

This is a signature.
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    12-23-2013 08:42 PM
    The best summary I've seven on this was in an interview on Fox News (of all places) basically said the 1st amendment protects your right to free speech, but it doesn't protect you from the consequences of said speech.

Though, I've heard some reports that A&E may have known he already had these extreme of views, not simply against but to this level. If that's the case, then they do have issue with hypocrisy and such. Otherwise, I don't care much and it's a catch 22 for both parties.
    12-23-2013 09:03 PM
    Only someone living in a totally ignorant state of mind would claim that since they haven't seen racism or homophobia happen, it doesn't exist. It's a warped way of thinking. The reason I don't live in the south anymore is because I have lived in the south. I'm not just guessing or presuming what happens there.
    And someone would have to be equally ignorant would put a sweeping generalization over an entire area and all the people in it just because they saw racism at some point in time...
    12-23-2013 09:04 PM

Nothing I have read has said that they have lived anywhere but Louisiana and I have seen adds for Phil preaching at events and such. I have never seen anything to suggest they are not genuine. Granted reality TV is of course acting to some extent, but I have assumed thus far that these "characters" were at least some what genuine. If you have anything to say otherwise please share.
    12-23-2013 09:12 PM
    Nothing I have read has said that they have lived anywhere but Louisiana and I have seen adds for Phil preaching at events and such. I have never seen anything to suggest they are not genuine. Granted reality TV is of course acting to some extent, but I have assumed thus far that these "characters" were at least some what genuine. If you have anything to say otherwise please share.
    I'm at a disadvantage because I've never actually watched the show, but I have read about the actors very recently, as a result of this nonsense. Many of the articles are from August, and have something to do with a rumor about Phil getting ready to leave the show. Funny how 3 months later, him not being on the show is 1. surprising 2. traumatic.

A slightly older quote than last week's from Phil, “They inserted fake beeps like somebody had used profanity, but no one had used profanity,” he explained. “…So I asked those guys who produce the show, I said, ‘Lemme ask you something. What’s the point of the fake bleeps?’” This was in response to him being asked about the show being "fake".

Phil was a very clean cut kid who went to college on a football scholarship and has a master's degree in education. He actually had a chance at going to the NFL. You CAN get a masters while being ignorant, but it's presumed that people who master in education know something about at least something.

These are the brothers prior to having a TV show:

Obviously very different when not in beards and camouflage. The other brother, who just joined the show, still wears the yuppie gear and doesn't have the beard. From what I can tell, Phil has had his beard for many, many years but they all made a conscious decision to double down on dressing and grooming the stereotypes.
    I have no doubt that they're probably actually Christians (the newest brother to the show is or was a pastor) and that they live in Louisiana. I'm saying neither of those things make you ignorant or racist, etc. by default and that, just like the clothes and beards, they adopted those things as part of the role.
    12-23-2013 09:44 PM
    I'm at a disadvantage because I've never actually watched the show, but I have read about the actors very recently, as a result of this nonsense. Many of the articles are from August, and have something to do with a rumor about Phil getting ready to leave the show. Funny how 3 months later, him not being on the show is 1. surprising 2. traumatic.

A slightly older quote than last week's from Phil, They inserted fake beeps like somebody had used profanity, but no one had used profanity, he explained. So I asked those guys who produce the show, I said, Lemme ask you something. Whats the point of the fake bleeps? This was in response to him being asked about the show being "fake".

Phil was a very clean cut kid who went to college on a football scholarship and has a master's degree in education. He actually had a chance at going to the NFL. You CAN get a masters while being ignorant, but it's presumed that people who master in education know something about at least something.

These are the brothers prior to having a TV show:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-productio...jpg?1387594928
    http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content...4400084151.jpg
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-productio...jpg?1387594930
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-productio...jpg?1387594937

Obviously very different when not in beards and camouflage. The other brother, who just joined the show, still wears the yuppie gear and doesn't have the beard. From what I can tell, Phil has had his beard for many, many years but they all made a conscious decision to double down on dressing and grooming the stereotypes.
    I have no doubt that they're probably actually Christians (the newest brother to the show is or was a pastor) and that they live in Louisiana. I'm saying neither of those things make you ignorant or racist, etc. by default and that, just like the clothes and beards, they adopted those things as part of the role.
    I don't have cable and don't watch the show regularly, but from what I have seen they kind of throw back to their history periodically. At least one of those pics have been on the show before. And Phil's football career is referenced as well.

The beards are for show though. That's pretty obvious. And they were and are very wealthy from their business alone, but I don't know why that is really relevant. Rich does not mean evil despite popular belief. How much of their life styles is really for show and how much is not we will never know. I would like to think that there is some hope of them being genuine in their core beliefs though. They are going through a lot not to be...
    12-23-2013 10:34 PM
    And someone would have to be equally ignorant would put a sweeping generalization over an entire area and all the people in it just because they saw racism at some point in time...
    You, my friend, are too funny. You just don't get it. And the more you post the more you prove that my first post on the subject was spot on. Oh and of course, "No Yankees"..... I guess that's not a sweeping generalization over an entire area and people..... hilarious!
    12-24-2013 12:10 AM
    The only difference between racism in the North from racism in the South is that in the North, it's much more discreet.
    Believe me. I know.

This is a signature.
    I can attest to this as well. I don't think ignorance is a trait that's monopolized by any specific groups. That's what makes it such a complex issue. I think it has more to do with the level of exposure people have access to. Some of my Canadian friends for instance, have a hard time believing I was born and raised in Texas because I don't have what they believe is the typical Texan mentality, and sadly I'm perfectly fine with that assessment, to an extent.

What I've learned in nearly half a century of living is that when I make an active decision to stereotype someone, I'm only cheating myself. Some of the people that have made the greatest positive impact on me, if I judged them based on stereotypical perceptions, I would probably be a lot worse off. I guess some people are perfectly happy living their life with the limitations that come with stereotyping people, which is perfectly fine with me. I'll enrich what I have, and you continue with your narrow minded points of view. Just a word of caution though, the world is ever changing, those that will do well in the future are those that know how to adapt.
    12-24-2013 02:05 AM
    You, my friend, are too funny. You just don't get it. And the more you post the more you prove that my first post on the subject was spot on. Oh and of course, "No Yankees"..... I guess that's not a sweeping generalization over an entire area and people..... hilarious!
    haha, I have to admit, I saw the "NoYankees" too, but didn't want to make a generalization....
    12-24-2013 02:14 AM

So standing of for your religious beliefs and speaking g up on them makes one a bigot now?

And what was the stupid part?

Are you trying to say Christians are stupid?
    12-24-2013 09:27 AM
    First, A&E are making a boatload of money off them, they should have had a PR person with him and pre-screened the questions ahead of time.

I see both sides of the aisle. Let me start off by saying I was raised Roman Catholic. I am for gay marriage, but I do believe we have gotten to a point in this country when if you don't agree with the minority you are labeled as a bigot, racist, a phobe of some kind, ect. Over the last decade ripping Christians is the "in" thing to do for whatever reason. They just sit their and take their lumps and do nothing. Do you ever see anyone rip into the Islamic faith or the Jewish faith for their stand on homosexuality among other things? Hell no! No one wants to get blown up or pegged a anti-Semite. Is the Danish cartoonist still in hiding?????

With that said, I think all religious people who's faith taught them that laying with another man they way you would a woman is a sin should be talked about in the church. There are plenty of things in the bible that all religious people have accepted as not jiving in a modern civilized society. The role of a women and slavery to name a few. Just like there is a "right" way to state your religious views as another poster mentioned, there is a right way to challenge those views without calling the guy a dumb homophobic, redneck bigot (mind you he has a masters degree, so he's far from stupid).
    12-24-2013 09:53 AM
    So standing of for your religious beliefs and speaking g up on them makes one a bigot now?

And what was the stupid part?

Are you trying to say Christians are stupid?
    Interesting way of reading that...

Not one of your statements was said nor implied by me and all three have nothing to do with the statement that I did make.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    Oofa likes this.
    12-24-2013 11:06 AM
    This thread took a while to pop up.

First and foremost, this is nothing other than the media profiteering on controversy like always.

Beyond that, I like how the quotes are just quotes. There is no context given by the magazine at all. Just "hey he said this while we were in the woods". That annoys me. Context is everything, but no one really cares.

Secondly, I support his opinion and right to express it just as I support A&E's right to put or not put whatever they want on their network. However both have consequences.

Finally, disagreeing with a practice does not equal hate or bigotry or racism or any of the other liberal slander terms. It merely means disagreeing with a practice. As Phil himself stated, treating people with love and respect is a must regardless of how you feel about their habits. This is just another way that the lgbt community can force their cause into the spotlight again. Just like chik-fi-la last time.
    Right, it isn't like he said it on an A&E show after all. Plus what he said was not anti-gay, but pro-Religion. Yes, there is a difference. Why should the Muslims be the only ones allowed to speak out about their religion, talking about killing all non-Muslims?
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
    12-24-2013 11:48 AM
    To me it would be like someone trying to tell me that what I find attractive on a woman is completely wrong.
    One man's ten is another man's one.

From the interview:

What, in your mind, is sinful?

Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men, he says.*

He was asked what's sinful. He did not say that gay people morph from being homosexual to beastiality. I mean, do you think he is also saying that being gay is what causes adultery? No. You just took a quip from an article and ran with it. My goodness, all he was talking about is how sinful behavior has became the norm with no repentance.

So, what now? Am I going to be called a racist? Are you going to start trying to say that I must agree with Hitler?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    [SARCASM]You didn't know that every Republican is a racist?[/SARCASM]
    However, I do agree with you 100% Serial Fordicator.
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
    12-24-2013 01:11 PM
    He equated all sexual immorality. In the Bible, all sin is more or less equal and is connected to further sin.

And if you ought to try living in the South before having such an ignorant and bigoted attitude. I have lived in the south my entire life and never seen discrimination on any measure able level for any reason. Race, sexual orientation, or otherwise. And I have lived down the road from one of the main KKK hubs of the world before and have also lived just outside of Birmingham with all of its supposed civil rights "issues". Racism and hatred may still exists here, but you would have to look hard to find it. Just as I am sure you can find it in California and New York.
    I have seen more racist acts up north than I have in the South.
    12-24-2013 02:14 PM
    During a G/L show they make a comment towards backward hillbilly rednecks. The Redneck community would respond "Who cares what the G/L community thinks." Now the Redneck show makes a comment towards the G/L community and its some kind of big deal people get fired and the media gets all upset.

Having grown up on a farm in the South but traveled around the U.S. I find it some offensive when others speak bad of southerners or accuse everyone here as slave owners and racist. As a descendant of slaves I have no tolerance for people that believe in having slaves. However living here all my life I never met anyone from the south that wanted to bring back slavery so I wish people would quit bringing that up.

If I see a guy dressed as a woman in public I see him no differently than someone with swastikas tattooed on their shaved head in public. They are both wanting a reaction and hoping it is negative so they can pounce.

I think A&E knew all along Phil would say this knowing his beliefs so they could cash in on it.
    It is because Phil Robertson is a straight white Christian male. For the record, I find " backward hillbilly rednecks" to be racist and derogitory towards my heritage. Being from the western part of Virginia, minorities call us white people there "hillbilly" and "rednecks" as a cultural slur, even though we are far from the stereotype.
    12-24-2013 02:23 PM
    Believe me. I know.

This is a signature.
    Like I said earlier, I have seen more racism in the North than I have in the South.
    12-24-2013 02:34 PM
1,813 ... 4950515253 ...