06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 5556575859 ...
tools
    Just to let you guys know, my husband followed all of these threads with me, he said he might have to join just to get in on the conversation. He's a much better debater than I am. I'm working on him.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    My wife joined the forums a few weeks ago. Got like 1 question answered and hasn't been back since. And I had to do all the work implementing the suggestion she got. She only made 5 posts and 3 of them were making fun of me. Don't think she'd be much help in this section. "Matt's wrong, cya bye".
    msndrstood likes this.
    12-28-2013 07:43 AM
    Lol, we're sympatico. Double tag teaming.

... :rolleyes:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    12-28-2013 07:44 AM
    My wife joined the forums a few weeks ago. Got like 1 question answered and hasn't been back since. And I had to do all the work implementing the suggestion she got. She only made 5 posts and 3 of them were making fun of me. Don't think she'd be much help in this section. "Matt's wrong, cya bye".
    LOL... sounds like the way it would go if I had mine join up.

I think signatures are stupid.
    msndrstood and Aquila like this.
    12-28-2013 08:19 AM
    Mine would be disliked here. She leans farther left than I do. Plus, when she gets upset in a political debate she starts spitting things out in French and no one would understand her.
    mrsmumbles and msndrstood like this.
    12-28-2013 08:57 AM
    Lol, we're sympatico. Double tag teaming.

You could probably make a reality show out of it.
    msndrstood and mrsmumbles like this.
    12-28-2013 08:59 AM
    Everyone I've ever been around. :rolleyes:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    We are just the opposite, I'm surrounded by conservatives, so I usually stay home, lol.

lol, you guys know that if everyone around you leans the opposite way or you feel they're the fringe left/right, that generally means that you're probably the one that's fallen off the deep end. I've been told that I'm a "dirty hippie" by some people, and other people have accused me of being a neocon. I'd like to think that probably means that I'm a little bit in the middle, although I must admit that I do have some left leaning tendencies. What I tend to tell people is I'm conservative acting but liberal thinking.

For instance, I've never done any illegal drug in my life (unless you count the one time when I was 14 that I stole one of my father's cigarettes because I wanted to see what it was like) but I think we need to end the drug war. I personally don't believe in an abortion as means of birth control for casual sex, but I don't believe the government should have any laws, much less a blanket law for what should be a woman's and (when it's called for), a man's moral decision. My reason for including a man in the decision making is quite simple, if a man is required to provide financial support if the mother decides to have the child (in non-violent cases of course) then the man should also have a right in the decision. Ultimately, it should be a woman's decision, but I think it's a double standard to give the exclusive decision to the woman and then tell the man that he's financially obligated.

But I digress. I truthfully think that if you talk to people individually, left or right, you'll find that most want the exact same thing (If you can weed out all the soundbites and the talking points from their respective camps). Politicians and their team them know exactly how to throw out issues that may not be relevant but are polarizing. Divide and conquer is alive and well.

I think signatures are stupid.
    I can see it now, "your honor, my client is requesting 70% of the property in the settlement", "Oh what grounds, counsel?" "Well your honor, my client's spouse would never thank his posts on Android Central, she only thanked some guy's posts by the name of BigAndroid4U"......
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    12-28-2013 09:11 AM
    Lol, my husband is to the right of me, barely. He calls himself "conservatively liberal and liberally conservative". We see eye to eye on most things. There are a few things that are debatable that have to do with the South (his family is from Southwestern Virginia). But, it's not so much that we can't see each others point. He's pretty embarrassed by some of the crazy stuff coming out of those southern legislatures recently.

I'm not as far left as everyone here probably thinks I am. When I worked in the hospital we would get into philosophical debates on night shift all the time. I worked there for 8 years and I was surprised that most of the people I worked with thought I was an atheist, which I'm not, and were shocked to find out what my true beliefs were.

12-28-2013 09:21 AM
    Lol, my husband is to the right of me, barely. He calls himself "conservatively liberal and liberally conservative". We see eye to eye on most things. There are a few things that are debatable that have to do with the South (his family is from Southwestern Virginia). But, it's not so much that we can't see each others point. He's pretty embarrassed by some of the crazy stuff coming out of those southern legislatures recently.

I'm not as far left as everyone here probably thinks I am. When I worked in the hospital we would get into philosophical debates on night shift all the time. I worked there for 8 years and I was surprised that most of the people I worked with thought I was an atheist, which I'm not, and were shocked to find out what my true beliefs were.

You know you have 2 signatures right? 1 of them says you are on a Note 3, and the other says Note 2. I can see how your co-workers were confused.....
    12-28-2013 09:22 AM
    You know you have 2 signatures right? 1 of them says you are on a Note 3, and the other says Note 2. I can see how your co-workers were confused.....
    On Tapatalk? Probably because on the AC site itself I signed in with the Note 2 in June, I never use the desktop anymore since I've gotten the Note 3. It doesn't matter, I use them both anyway lol. But thanks for that, I think.

Edited for poor grammar.

12-28-2013 09:31 AM
    lol, you guys know that if everyone around you leans the opposite way or you feel they're the fringe left/right, that generally means that you're probably the one that's fallen off the deep end. I've been told that I'm a "dirty hippie" by some people, and other people have accused me of being a neocon. I'd like to think that probably means that I'm a little bit in the middle, although I must admit that I do have some left leaning tendencies. What I tend to tell people is I'm conservative acting but liberal thinking.

For instance, I've never done any illegal drug in my life (unless you count the one time when I was 14 that I stole one of my father's cigarettes because I wanted to see what it was like) but I think we need to end the drug war. I personally don't believe in an abortion as means of birth control for casual sex, but I don't believe the government should have any laws, much less a blanket law for what should be a woman's and (when it's called for), a man's moral decision. My reason for including a man in the decision making is quite simple, if a man is required to provide financial support if the mother decides to have the child (in non-violent cases of course) then the man should also have a right in the decision. Ultimately, it should be a woman's decision, but I think it's a double standard to give the exclusive decision to the woman and then tell the man that he's financially obligated.

But I digress. I truthfully think that if you talk to people individually, left or right, you'll find that most want the exact same thing (If you can weed out all the soundbites and the talking points from their respective camps). Politicians and their team them know exactly how to throw out issues that may not be relevant but are polarizing. Divide and conquer is alive and well.

I can see it now, "your honor, my client is requesting 70% of the property in the settlement", "Oh what grounds, counsel?" "Well your honor, my client's spouse would never thank his posts on Android Central, she only thanked some guy's posts by the name of BigAndroid4U"......
    I may have gone off the deep end, I do tend toward extremes, and I was just as extremely Left most of my life. I guess I began to realize I wasn't as Left as I thought way back in the early 90s about gun control (and I've never had a gun). But I thought I was far left. Dunno, I just realized over time that everything I thought was liberal of me was really libertarian instead. With a lot of changing views on social issues though, than when I was young, but I rarely argue that. Mainly I stick to financial stuff when I argue...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    12-28-2013 09:37 AM
    Speaking of which, weirdly, Google just asked me my attitude about helping others...

12-28-2013 09:38 AM
    Mine would be disliked here. She leans farther left than I do. Plus, when she gets upset in a political debate she starts spitting things out in French and no one would understand her.
    This has to happen

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    msndrstood and palandri like this.
    12-28-2013 09:49 AM
    It definitely is. One of the worst things you can do to yourself is let other people influence you without you first educating yourself about the subject. I tend to be skeptical by nature. I've been burned in the past by people that didn't have the best of intentions.
    I love learning new things, I really do. I don't let people influence my decisions. Like you said, I use the information that I am given, and make my own decision. Usually after some research on my own.
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.
    12-28-2013 10:35 AM
    It is a little interesting how someone can recognize a historic liberal figure as a hero yet use the word liberal in derogatory fashion.....
    Abraham Lincoln and abolishing slavery come to mind as well. Remember, it was the Republicans who fought against slavery whereas the democrats were the ones who were for slavery. Not that much has changed in that regard, as the democrats are now enslaving straight white Christian males.
    Posted on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon Wireless, America's largest 4G LTE Network. Please excuse any errors.

- - - Updated - - -

Off topic - we're pretty well into a variety of topics on this. Generally I want to thank everyone for keeping this thread fun and engaging and keeping the too often sniping out of this conversation. Thanks!
    That is pretty unusual for the politics section here!
    12-28-2013 10:39 AM
    I still stand it was a marketing gimmick from the beginning. He was suspended 9 days during there off shooting season for something they knew he said several months prior to it being published. It was done when their Christmas special was beginning to come on the air. Seems the so called uneducated dumb Rednecks cashed in big on the liberal and G/L community.

So a Liberal says Rednecks are dimwitted uneducated idiots then when the so called dimwitted uneducated idiots make a commit such as Phil did it becomes national news. Wonder who the real idiots are in this case?

BTW I tried watching the show a few times and found it like most all reality shows in it being staged and pandering to stereotypes.Also when getting a raise at work or a loan at the bank or even filing my taxes internet forums or reality T.V shows do not come up in the questions or forms so have NO bearing in the real world its just entertainment folks.
    I have said all along that it was a publicity stunt done by A&E.
    12-28-2013 10:45 AM
    That almost is my views on everything as well. It is a double standard to give the woman the decision but make the man financially responsible. There is no other way around it.
    12-28-2013 10:46 AM
    Abraham Lincoln and abolishing slavery come to mind as well. Remember, it was the Republicans who fought against slavery whereas the democrats were the ones who were for slavery. Not that much has changed in that regard, as the democrats are now enslaving straight white Christian males.

- - - Updated - - -

That is pretty unusual for the politics section here!
    Just keep in mind that the Republicans in Lincoln's era would have little in common to today's GOP. I would argue that even Reagan would be marginalized by today's GOP.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2
    12-28-2013 11:00 AM
    I may have gone off the deep end, I do tend toward extremes, and I was just as extremely Left most of my life. I guess I began to realize I wasn't as Left as I thought way back in the early 90s about gun control (and I've never had a gun). But I thought I was far left. Dunno, I just realized over time that everything I thought was liberal of me was really libertarian instead. With a lot of changing views on social issues though, than when I was young, but I rarely argue that. Mainly I stick to financial stuff when I argue...

As I've said before on another topic in this thread, everything is relative. If our opinions didn't change when we age, then we haven't learned anything in life. It's okay to change your mind, it's the nature of being human.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    12-28-2013 11:06 AM
    Just keep in mind that the Republicans in Lincoln's era would have little in common to today's GOP. I would argue that even Reagan would be marginalized by today's GOP.

But still, they were Republicans. Plus, you said "It is a little interesting how someone can recognize a historic liberal figure as a hero yet use the word liberal in derogatory fashion....." and I was just showing how people do just that to the Republicans.
    12-28-2013 11:07 AM
    As I've said before on another topic in this thread, everything is relative. If our opinions didn't change when we age, then we haven't learned anything in life. It's okay to change your mind, it's the nature of being human.

Yes. Did we already talk about this? I don't remember... :what:

12-28-2013 11:15 AM

It is funny how people come to realize that Libertarian and liberal is not the same thing! My favorite quote was from someone here who said that "college and eduction tends to have a liberalizing effect on people" which is completely not true.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    12-28-2013 11:16 AM
    It is funny how people come to realize that Libertarian and liberal is not the same thing! My favorite quote was from someone here who said that "college and eduction tends to have a liberalizing effect on people" which is completely not true.
    It took me a long time to realize that.

12-28-2013 11:19 AM
    Yes. Did we already talk about this? I don't remember... :what:

Did we? I must have been in a trance.

12-28-2013 11:26 AM
    But still, they were Republicans. Plus, you said "It is a little interesting how someone can recognize a historic liberal figure as a hero yet use the word liberal in derogatory fashion....." and I was just showing how people do just that to the Republicans.
    What's in a name.....you don't think the dixie-crats are the same as today's Democrats do you? There's a reason that the Republican party today holds many southern states once held by Dixie-crats, and it has nothing to with Lincoln's actions towards freeing the slaves.

Again it goes back to the '3-D' post. We're thinking of Democrats and Republicans in the same manner that we're thinking liberal and conservative, which is an incorrect comparison. The sense of a liberal figure throughout history doesn't change in the same manner that it changes for the label of Democrat or Republican.

msndrstood likes this.
    12-28-2013 11:28 AM
    Did we? I must have been in a trance.

So was I! Hahahah! I don't remember.

msndrstood likes this.
    12-28-2013 11:35 AM
1,813 ... 5556575859 ...