06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 6364656667 ...
tools
    My fear is Texas will try next year.
    That would only be a problem if there were no people to oppose the bill in Texas. My feeling is that there are people who will fight it, just like they did in Arizona. Don't mess with Texas, as they say.
    Timelessblur likes this.
    02-27-2014 06:35 PM
    That would only be a problem if there were no people to oppose the bill in Texas. My feeling is that there are people who will fight it, just like they did in Arizona. Don't mess with Texas, as they say.
    Sadly I have learned that gop will shove it threw. They will have the majority on both houses. Unless the dems win the governor spot they will shove it threw.
    Now it will be promptly be killed by the courts.
    Look at the abortion bill. It was fought and shoved threw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Scott7217 likes this.
    02-27-2014 06:37 PM
    Now it will be promptly be killed by the courts.
    This is true. In fact, one of the major Supreme Court cases that dealt with gay rights involved Texas. The Court ruled 6-3 in favor of gay rights in Lawrence v. Texas (539 US 558). This occurred in 2003. This legal case not only affects Texas, it affects the entire United States. So maybe the road leading up to the decision was bumpy, but the ultimate outcome was very favorable, and that's what we really care about.
    02-27-2014 06:53 PM
    I know that hating the haters and making sweeping generalizations on the Internet is the cool thing to do, but you might want to check who is actually condemning and and supporting this bill. The answer of who is condemning might surprise you....
    Why don't you enlighten us?
    02-27-2014 07:35 PM
    This bill was struck down as it should have been, but there are 2 other issues brought that are much bigger than the gay rights issues.

1. The rights of business to choose whom they do business with.

2. What and when is religion an excuse for an action and where is the line for when legislation goes too far and infringes on religious practices.

This country was colonized and founded mostly by people that were wanting economic and religious freedom. There are lines and ramifications that go far beyond this bill. If you want to take it for face value and ignore these deeper issues, you are free to do so.
    In my mind, since religion was used as an excuse to keep blacks inferior and the races separate, I believe these kinds of issues were settled long ago with businesses having separate lunch counters and entrances. Just because the group in question changes, in no way changes the underlying arguments.
    02-27-2014 07:56 PM
    Just because the group in question changes, in no way changes the underlying arguments.
    It's probably because the law lists race, color, religion, sex, ethnicity/national origin, and disability as classes that we can protect. Sexual orientation would have to be added to the law. (I believe it has in some states.)
    02-27-2014 08:05 PM
    It's probably because the law lists race, color, religion, sex, ethnicity/national origin, and disability as classes that we can protect. Sexual orientation would have to be added to the law. (I believe it has in some states.)
    True! That is definitely part of the problem. But at the end of the day all laws are simply concepts. And I don't think the concept is different from using religion as a basis to discriminate against one group, vs. using it to discriminate against another group. The same basic principles apply.
    02-27-2014 08:20 PM
    The same basic principles apply.
    However, we should not diminish the importance of having things spelled out in black-and-white in the law. Even if you are close to the finish line, you don't actually win the race until after you cross the finish line. If the words "sexual orientation" are not in the law, the police and the courts cannot protect people who may be the victims of such discrimination.
    02-27-2014 08:47 PM
    They really need to change the law to say that no one can be discriminated against for any reason. Why stop at race, age, disability, or sexual orientation? It should be an all encompassing law,not just covering a few groups.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    02-27-2014 09:15 PM
    They really need to change the law to say that no one can be discriminated against for any reason. Why stop at race, age, disability, or sexual orientation? It should be an all encompassing law,not just covering a few groups.
    This person believes people should be able to refuse service to anyone:

Problem solved: let private businesses refuse service to anyone anytime for any reason - The Matt Walsh Blog (link)

Excerpt:

"We have a choice: we can have the government continue to peer inside our hearts and souls and attempt to prohibit and punish what it interprets to be discrimination and bigotry, or we can be a free nation where private property, freedom of association, and private enterprise are all respected and protected. We can sacrifice control and power to the State in hopes that it will stamp out hatred and racism across the land, or we can battle these evils ourselves, as a free and vigilant people."
    02-27-2014 09:42 PM
    This person believes people should be able to refuse service to anyone:

Problem solved: let private businesses refuse service to anyone anytime for any reason - The Matt Walsh Blog (link)

Excerpt:

"We have a choice: we can have the government continue to peer inside our hearts and souls and attempt to prohibit and punish what it interprets to be “discrimination” and “bigotry,” or we can be a free nation where private property, freedom of association, and private enterprise are all respected and protected. We can sacrifice control and power to the State in hopes that it will stamp out hatred and racism across the land, or we can battle these evils ourselves, as a free and vigilant people."
    I believe the same thing. Unfortunately, I think that people with this belief are in the minority. We live in a world where most think that the government is the answer to everything. If some are hungry, we need a government program. Some children aren't learning to read and write, another program. We've got so many laws on the books, it's hard to get through a day without breaking at least one. We demonize the people that work hard, stay married, and raise good moral families, while we praise and reward the ones that are the most immoral.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    02-27-2014 10:02 PM
    My fear is Texas will try next year. Only reason it has not been done yet is Texas legislative branch only meets on odd number years. You can bet money they would of tried it if they met this year.
    Put nothing pass the party of Hate and Bigotry.
    I love my state of birth, but sometimes we can be really idiotic. I blame all the gerrymandering and carpet baggers from other states that try to influence our state. The way I see it, we have it completely wrong in some areas, education (trying to force creationalism as an equal argument to evolution is just outright insane), healthcare, and the way we're lax with our corporations.
    02-28-2014 01:02 AM
    Absolutely not. If a known drug dealer comes into my business, I should be able to refuse service to them.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Live2ride883 and cdmjlt369 like this.
    02-28-2014 09:29 AM
    I think what it comes down to is does the business owner believe that the person coming in is choosing to be gay or is actually gay. You see a lot of people that don't know the subject well enough and think it's just a matter of them choosing to be gay. Some of the gay people I know in real life tell me that it's like someone trying to tell me that I should abandon my love of women, and then all of the sudden start liking men in the same manner. I can't imagine that happening ever, nor can I imagine someone else being forced to like something that they don't.

There are studies that show how a gay person's body chemistry is different than that of a similar straight person's chemistry. Until we get a 100% understanding of it, we need to respect each other completely.

What gets me about these types of Christian based laws is that they're written without consideration of one of the biggest staples of Christian values, which is "Love Thy Neighbor". Rather hypocritical if you ask me.
    02-28-2014 10:07 AM
    Absolutely not. If a known drug dealer comes into my business, I should be able to refuse service to them.
    So take criminal law breakers out of the equation (which I agree). Now do you have a problem with things?? And if so, who and why?
    02-28-2014 02:58 PM
    There are studies that show how a gay person's body chemistry is different than that of a similar straight person's chemistry. Until we get a 100% understanding of it, we need to respect each other completely.
    You have to watch out for unintended consequences, though. Once people figure things out, they may develop a drug to give to pregnant women to "fix" the chemistry of the fetus. The result would be that no more gay people would be born.
    02-28-2014 05:33 PM
    What gets me about these types of Christian based laws is that they're written without consideration of one of the biggest staples of Christian values, which is "Love Thy Neighbor". Rather hypocritical if you ask me.
    Should we ban hypocritical religions? Do such religions deserve protection under the First Amendment?
    02-28-2014 05:38 PM
    Should we ban hypocritical religions? Do such religions deserve protection under the First Amendment?
    We should include atheism and agnosticism. If I have to be subjected to their intolerance, they should be subjected to my indifference. Funny how only one side is crying aboit their rights while condoning discrimination. Its like a civil rights movement all over again and only heterosexual people are first class citizens. These people act like gay people run around leaving propaganda on their cars and little booklets in their work break room...oh wait that would be the born again Christians and Jehovah's Witnesses.

SG3/iPad2/OG NookColor
    GadgetGator likes this.
    02-28-2014 06:21 PM
    Some posts were removed to clean things up. Let me remind those who like to break the rules by making some very tasteless comments and references that they will be handled as necessary. Just because we are a lenient in this section of the forums doesn't give anyone the green light to act inappropriately.

I want to highlight again the fact that discriminating or harassing comments or references toward sexual orientation/preference, religion, race and country of origin are grounds for immediate bans. Many people here like to playfully walk the razors edge in this situation and may soon find themselves permanently on the outside looking in if it continues.

This thread will remain closed.

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    02-28-2014 09:38 PM
    Texas GOP Advances 'Reparative Therapy' for Gays - EverythingLubbock.com

Yet another shinning example of GOP hate and bigotry.
    This is also yet another reason why I will not vote for the GOP.
    If you vote for the GOP you support hate and bigotry. No if and's or buts about it and until the GOP cleans this part of their party up they are the party of hate and bigotry.

This is the reason I have the problem with Tea Party (better known as Tea Idiots) and the GOP. All their so called good ideas are worthless until they fix this key issue and end the hate and bigotry.
    GadgetGator and heron88 like this.
    06-06-2014 01:05 PM
    If you vote for the GOP you support hate and bigotry. No if and's or buts about it and until the GOP cleans this part of their party up they are the party of hate and bigotry.
    Do you include the Log Cabin Republicans? They consist of gay Republicans. The article you cited mentioned the Metroplex Republicans, which is also gay.
    06-06-2014 02:29 PM
    Do you include the Log Cabin Republicans? They consist of gay Republicans. The article you cited mentioned the Metroplex Republicans, which is also gay.
    yes I sadly do. I put them under the stupid people category. As they are supporting a party that is ACTIVELY trying to suppress them and their rights.

GOP = Party of Hate and bigotry. Voting for them means you are voting for hate and bigotry right now. The log cabin Republicans guess what are voting for hate and bigotry.
    06-06-2014 02:42 PM
    yes I sadly do. I put them under the stupid people category. As they are supporting a party that is ACTIVELY trying to suppress them and their rights.
    Perhaps they are trying to change the GOP from the inside. I'm sure it's a tough job.
    rexxman likes this.
    06-06-2014 02:48 PM
    Perhaps they are trying to change the GOP from the inside. I'm sure it's a tough job.
    Honestly trying to change the gop is not the right move. They need to wither and die at this point. Forget trying to save the sinking ship.

It would be been better to start a new party take your lumps and leave the people of hate and bigotry to their own device to to kill themselves off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    GadgetGator and heron88 like this.
    06-06-2014 02:50 PM
    Honestly trying to change the gop is not the right move. They need to wither and die at this point. Forget trying to save the sinking ship.
    If the GOP removed their anti-gay platform, would you support it?

On a slightly different note, the article you linked to said that NJ Governor Chris Christie, a Republican, believes people are born gay and that homosexuality is not a sin. He signed the bill that banned licensed therapists from turning gay teenagers straight.

Did Christie make the right decision? He's probably feeling the heat from his own party for that.
    06-06-2014 03:34 PM
1,813 ... 6364656667 ...