06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 6566676869 ...
tools
    So, you might support Chris Christie if he changes his stance on same sex marriage, right? I find it interesting that he believes people are born gay and being gay isn't a sin. That's not a viewpoint that many Republicans share.
    No. For a number of reasons. First, I would not be able to move past the fact that he really believed I wasn't deserving of the same rights he was. I think that disqualifies him from representing everyone when he thinks that.

But my concerns over him are much deeper. I think in order to be President, you have to be very diplomatic. Christie is a bull in a China shop and not diplomatic at all. If he berates his own citizens from his own state, what would he be like with other countries? I shudder to think.

Then there is that whole bridge scandal which either makes him guilty or out of touch of what is going on under his nose by people close to him. Not a good outcome either way.

Posted via Android Central App
    msndrstood likes this.
    06-10-2014 12:38 AM
    The Log Cabin and Metroplex Republicans seem to think the GOP is still worth their time and effort, even if the other party members reject them because of their sexual orientation.
    And those people are banging their heads against the wall. Also I don't think such groups even existed way WAY back then when I made that decision. If they had I am not sure what I would have done. I am not one to stay somewhere I am not wanted usually. Or somewhere that efforts seem (ahem) fruitless.

msndrstood likes this.
    06-10-2014 12:44 AM
    As long as it's not forced on anyone who cares. If a gay guy wished to have therapy who are we to say no.

Sent from Surulere, lagos. Nigeria.
    06-10-2014 01:35 AM
    The Log Cabin and Metroplex Republicans seem to think the GOP is still worth their time and effort, even if the other party members reject them because of their sexual orientation.
    Sadly as I said earlier those people fall under the stupid category. They are actively supporting a group that is trying everything they can to suppresses them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    06-10-2014 08:22 AM
    As long as it's not forced on anyone who cares. If a gay guy wished to have therapy who are we to say no.

The problem is kids are allowed to be put threw the quack therapy.
    Mix with it should not be even allowed to advertise as it is snake oil but that being said parents should not be allowed to make their kids go threw this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    06-10-2014 08:26 AM
    The problem is kids are allowed to be put threw the quack therapy.
    Mix with it should not be even allowed to advertise as it is snake oil but that being said parents should not be allowed to make their kids go threw this.
    I agree not to force kids to go through "gay removal treatment", but there are products and services all over that can be considered snake oil. There's also ones that work for some people and not others. I wouldn't say they shouldn't be able to advertise or fault people for wanting to seek treatment if that's what they want.

As they say, caveat emptor.
    06-10-2014 09:35 AM
    I would never suggest or allow my grand daughter do through this ridiculous 'therapy'. She knows who she is and she's happy with herself. That's good enough for us. Who are we to presume that we know what's best for another person. Leave them be so they are without guilt, shame or judgement. I'm proud of her for coming out and living her life on HER terms.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    06-10-2014 11:30 AM

So you are okay with people being taken advantage of for profit? Because that's what this is. Just another scam.

06-10-2014 02:07 PM
    So you are okay with people being taken advantage of for profit? Because that's what this is. Just another scam.
    I get scammed every time I have to fuel up my car with ethanol blended gas. Only I'm not ok with it, I just have no choice.
    06-10-2014 02:25 PM
    My grand daughter had a good point. She asked if any straight people on here would care to go 'gay'. Since its a 'choice' anyone should just be able to say, 'I'm going to be gay today' and therefore change who they are whenever they want. Anyone game? ๐Ÿ˜‰

GadgetGator and JnEricsonx like this.
    06-10-2014 02:35 PM
    No. For a number of reasons. First, I would not be able to move past the fact that he really believed I wasn't deserving of the same rights he was. I think that disqualifies him from representing everyone when he thinks that.
    How does Chris Christie compare with other Republicans on gay issues? Christie doesn't believe homosexuality is a sin. He doesn't believe that people choose their sexual orientation. In those 2 areas, he is on the opposite side of the majority of Republicans.

As for same sex marriage, is it easy for a Republican to be in favor of it and receive support from the GOP at the same time? I think if he publicly favored same sex marriage, the GOP would support someone else.

Remember, the Texas initiative is a response to Christie's ban on gay reparative therapy. Would you have expected a Republican to support such a ban? It's not something I would have expected.
    06-10-2014 02:38 PM
    But my concerns over him are much deeper. I think in order to be President, you have to be very diplomatic.
    Chris Christie is the governor of New Jersey, a blue state. So, apparently he's diplomatic enough to get elected the Republican governor of a Democratic state. Whether he's good enough for president is a different story. Both gay and straight people will make that decision on Election Day, if it ever gets that far.

Anyway, my original question is whether you think Christie made the right decision to ban reparative therapy for gay children. My guess is that you believe he made the right decision in that case.
    06-10-2014 03:02 PM
    Then there is that whole bridge scandal which either makes him guilty or out of touch of what is going on under his nose by people close to him. Not a good outcome either way.
    Chris Christie will definitely need to explain the bridge scandal. I expect it to come up frequently. We certainly prefer our politicians to serve without scandal. Perhaps one day someone will run who's honest and forthcoming on all issues. I just won't hold my breath.
    msndrstood likes this.
    06-10-2014 03:11 PM
    My grand daughter had a good point. She asked if any straight people on here would care to go 'gay'. Since its a 'choice' anyone should just be able to say, 'I'm going to be gay today' and therefore change who they are whenever they want.
    That's an interesting idea. How would you determine whether the change is successful? That is, how would you know whether a straight person changed into a gay person? Is it merely based on what that person tells you?
    06-10-2014 05:54 PM
    That's an interesting idea. How would you determine whether the change is successful? That is, how would you know whether a straight person changed into a gay person? Is it merely based on what that person tells you?
    I'm pretty sure S. E. X. would be involved. ๐Ÿ˜

06-10-2014 05:59 PM
    I'm pretty sure S. E. X. would be involved.
    What about people who have never engaged in any sort of sexual activity? Would it be impossible to classify their sexual orientation?
    06-10-2014 06:07 PM
    What about people who have never engaged in any sort of sexual activity? Would it be impossible to classify their sexual orientation?
    Are you aware of the LGBT community and the spectrum it encompasses? Gender fluid, etc. It depends on who you are attracted to. It can get complicated. To me, it's people trying to find a place where they are comfortable, safe and happy. It's not always about S. E. X., but like the hetero world, it's an important aspect of human nature.

06-10-2014 06:12 PM
    It depends on who you are attracted to.
    I would agree that it depends on who you are attracted to. However, can your attraction change over time?
    06-10-2014 06:28 PM
    I would agree that it depends on who you are attracted to. However, can your attraction change over time?
    Can hetero people change their mind about their attraction to a partner over time? I can only speak from my experience. I have not researched data, nor have I really had this conversation with many people to take their experience into account. So here is my answer...

I've been married to the same man for 42 years, a few friends and family have been married 30+ years; my brother has been married 3 times and so have quite a few of our friends and extended family. Most of our friends are in their second marriage, especially when they married before 20. I have had friends that were married with children who came out in their 30's. However, I have no gay friends that have gone straight. So that sums up my answer to your question, however limited my experience may be. ๐Ÿ˜Š

06-10-2014 06:43 PM
    However, I have no gay friends that have gone straight. So that sums up my answer to your question, however limited my experience may be.
    I would agree that your experience is limited. You say you have no gay friends that have gone straight. Perhaps some of your straight friends used to be gay, but they simply never told you.
    06-10-2014 07:22 PM
    I would agree that your experience is limited. You say you have no gay friends that have gone straight. Perhaps some of your straight friends used to be gay, but they simply never told you.
    I've known most of my friends all of my life, the youngest for 20, I think I'm pretty sure I know them. You are determined to make everyone straight. It doesn't usually work that way. I won't say it can't happen, but I think it's pretty rare for a gay person to go straight.

06-10-2014 07:41 PM
    I won't say it can't happen, but I think it's pretty rare for a gay person to go straight.
    Thank you for sharing that answer. It is giving me a lot to think about.
    06-10-2014 07:54 PM
    Any time lol

06-10-2014 07:57 PM
    Any time lol
    So, let's start with an example. A man has sex with another man once. Later on in life, he then he marries a woman. The man spends the rest of his life happily married to the woman. The husband and wife have sex on a regular basis with each other, and they do not have outside sexual partners.

Is the man gay because his first sexual experience was with another man?

Is the man straight because most of his sexual activity was with a woman (his wife)?

Is the man bisexual because he has had sex with a man and a woman on separate occasions?
    06-10-2014 09:55 PM
    So, let's start with an example. A man has sex with another man once. Later on in life, he then he marries a woman. The man spends the rest of his life happily married to the woman. The husband and wife have sex on a regular basis with each other, and they do not have outside sexual partners.

Is the man gay because his first sexual experience was with another man?

Is the man straight because most of his sexual activity was with a woman (his wife)?

Is the man bisexual because he has had sex with a man and a woman on separate occasions?
    What does sex have to do with it? Drop sex from your questions. Strong feelings and love for another doesn't equate to sex.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-10-2014 10:23 PM
1,813 ... 6566676869 ...