06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 6970717273
tools
    Freedom, ain't it grand?
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-18-2014 08:19 PM
    By the way, just a tip, if the person is not conforming to any gender, please use gender neutral pronouns to boot (they/them or whatever).
    That is a good point. To be fair, though, the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund referred to Chase Culpepper with a male pronoun when they released a statement in support of him. This is what they said in the article:

"Chase’s freedom to express his gender should not be restricted by DMV staff. He is entitled to be who he is and to express that without interference from government actors. Forcing Chase to remove his makeup prior to taking his driver’s license photo restricts his free speech rights in violation of state and federal constitutional protections."

I figured something called the "Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund" should know which pronoun to use.
    06-18-2014 08:27 PM
    That is a good point. To be fair, though, the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund referred to Chase Culpepper with a male pronoun when they released a statement in support of him. This is what they said in the article:

"Chase’s freedom to express his gender should not be restricted by DMV staff. He is entitled to be who he is and to express that without interference from government actors. Forcing Chase to remove his makeup prior to taking his driver’s license photo restricts his free speech rights in violation of state and federal constitutional protections."

I figured something called the "Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund" should know which pronoun to use.
    Except they obviously don't. Remember the whole Chelsea Manning thing? No one referred to her with female pronouns either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    06-18-2014 08:53 PM
    Except they obviously don't.
    S.C. Teenager Told to Remove Makeup to Take License Photo -- Advocate.com (article link here)

Excerpt: "Chase Culpepper identifies as male and regularly wears dresses and makeup in his day-to-day life."

Given this information, what would be the proper pronoun to use in reference to Chase Culpepper?
    06-18-2014 09:12 PM
    S.C. Teenager Told to Remove Makeup to Take License Photo -- Advocate.com (article link here)

Excerpt: "Chase Culpepper identifies as male and regularly wears dresses and makeup in his day-to-day life."

Given this information, what would be the proper pronoun to use in reference to Chase Culpepper?
    The OP says non conforming to gender, but this link seems to say otherwise...?
    I mean if the person identifies as a male then that's it.

Scott7217 likes this.
    06-18-2014 09:14 PM
    Well I identify myself as bat man, but they won't let me wear my mask at the dmv

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
    A895 and rexxman like this.
    06-18-2014 09:25 PM
    The OP says non conforming to gender, but this link seems to say otherwise...?
    I mean if the person identifies as a male then that's it.
    This is what Chase Culpepper's mother, Teresa Culpepper, said in the first article:

"I want my son to be able to be himself without discrimination or harassment. I love him that way and the government should not be telling him that he’s not okay the way he is."

Hopefully she is also using the correct pronoun. In any case, she sounds like a great mom.
    06-18-2014 09:27 PM
    South Carolina DMV tells gender non-conforming teen he can’t take driver’s license photo with makeup -- The Washington Post (article link)

The South Carolina department of motor vehicles prevented Chase Culpepper, a 16-year-old teen, from taking a driver's license photo while wearing makeup. Culpepper is gender non-conforming, but the DMV said that he "did not look the way a boy should" with makeup on.

By law, South Carolina does not allow people to alter their appearance for a driver's license photo. This helps to fight criminal activity. There are exceptions, but only for religious or medical reasons.

Ironically, by removing his makeup, Culpepper's photo on his license would not match what he looks like on a regular basis.
    The picture in the article doesn't seem to show much makeup. Is that what they complained about?
    06-18-2014 09:42 PM
    The picture in the article doesn't seem to show much makeup. Is that what they complained about?
    DMV forces gender non-conforming South Carolina teen to remove makeup for license photo: activists -- NY Daily News (article link here)

Excerpt: "Chase wiped the makeup from his face and removed the mascara from his eyelashes, posed for the picture and took home his license — but he wasn't happy."
    palandri likes this.
    06-18-2014 09:54 PM
    DMV forces gender non-conforming South Carolina teen to remove makeup for license photo: activists -- NY Daily News (article link here)

Excerpt: "Chase wiped the makeup from his face and removed the mascara from his eyelashes, posed for the picture and took home his license — but he wasn't happy."
    It's obvious they just don't like his kind in South Carolina.

I remember when the Beatles came to the U.S. and people looked at their hair and said, "Are they men or are they women".
    Attached Thumbnails DOMA and Prop 8 fall-album-beatles-let-.jpg  
    06-18-2014 10:14 PM
    The article states that the reason they made him remove his makeup was that they considered it a disguise. Using the rationale that anything covering the face would be a disguise, why don't they make men shave before taking the picture? Surely they can't think that a bit of mascara and blush can cover up facial features better than a full beard.
    06-18-2014 11:03 PM
    I think I touched the topic of external factors when I gave the example of Democrats going to a GOP convention to tell the Republicans what to believe. Security would throw them out.

In the example you gave, you mention the Nevada Republicans as being more progressive. I would like to point out that the Nevada Republicans are still Republicans, so they are an internal group within the GOP.

Perhaps if you could clarify what you mean by external factors, I might be able to answer your question better. It would also help if you could give an example of internal factors.
    I did explain. But to elaborate: Society at large, changing attitudes, court case victories. writing on the wall kind of stuff. You want to credit a marginalized group for change within the party. Whereas I see it as political reality coming from larger societal changes in general on this issue.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-18-2014 11:22 PM
    Well I identify myself as bat man, but they won't let me wear my mask at the dmv

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
    This has got to be the worst logic I have ever seen.

06-19-2014 12:30 AM
    This has got to be the worst logic I have ever seen.

I see his point, even if taken to an extreme. I hate how we've turned into this "everyone is a special snowflake" society. I've seen people claim so many different gender and sexual identities that it makes my head spin. And from the quotes of the articles that have been posted, it sounds like he's not "gender non-confirming," he's just a cross dresser.

There's nothing wrong with the act itself, or otherwise trying to be different. What people need to realize is that when they do something that far out of the norm, they can't simply expect everyone else to treat them how they want to be treated. Heck, even in this thread, people that defended him seemed confused as how to address this guy. If the people supporting him can't tell how to address this guy, how in the you-know-what are the rest of us supposed to know? Then when you add in government I.d.'s and such, trying to stand out is only going to cause trouble... As has been demonstrated here.

I don't care if you want to dress as a man, woman, or even Batman. You need to be responsible for your choices and not expect the rest of society to automatically bend to your idea of "normal." It's not going to happen, and having a hissy fit when someone doesn't respect some obscure gender/sexual identity that only applies to you is only going to make you look a fool.
    dctokyo likes this.
    06-19-2014 06:16 AM
    I see his point, even if taken to an extreme. I hate how we've turned into this "everyone is a special snowflake" society. I've seen people claim so many different gender and sexual identities that it makes my head spin. And from the quotes of the articles that have been posted, it sounds like he's not "gender non-confirming," he's just a cross dresser.

There's nothing wrong with the act itself, or otherwise trying to be different. What people need to realize is that when they do something that far out of the norm, they can't simply expect everyone else to treat them how they want to be treated. Heck, even in this thread, people that defended him seemed confused as how to address this guy. If the people supporting him can't tell how to address this guy, how in the you-know-what are the rest of us supposed to know? Then when you add in government I.d.'s and such, trying to stand out is only going to cause trouble... As has been demonstrated here.

I don't care if you want to dress as a man, woman, or even Batman. You need to be responsible for your choices and not expect the rest of society to automatically bend to your idea of "normal." It's not going to happen, and having a hissy fit when someone doesn't respect some obscure gender/sexual identity that only applies to you is only going to make you look a fool.
    You think he is the only cross dresser as you say?

06-19-2014 06:28 AM
    It's obvious they just don't like his kind in South Carolina.

I remember when the Beatles came to the U.S. and people looked at their hair and said, "Are they men or are they women".
    DOMA and Prop 8 fall-old_man_smiley.gif
    palandri likes this.
    06-19-2014 06:57 AM
    You think he is the only cross dresser as you say?

No, but there is the larger issue of people seeming to go out of their way to claim some specific qualifier that applies to them. All too often it's either gender or sexuality based. Whether they do it to be different, or to bait others so they can then act as if they are a victim of something, I don't know. It may be a mix of both.

Though with this kid just turning legal age to drive, I put most of the blame on his parents. It's one thing to encourage your kids to be themselves. It's another to shelter them from the realities of the world so much that they are not prepared for what happens when it's time to gain their independence. They should have let the kid know what he's doing isn't normal and that others won't always accept his choices. They also should have had him go to the DMV without the makeup in the first place just for this reason.

I'm almost wondering if the parents wanted this scandal just to have 15 min of fame. Almost. I don't like to think of people using their kids like that, but it's happened before and part of me wouldn't be surprised if that's a part of it here too.
    06-19-2014 07:03 AM
    Read this yesterday and the politics section got a thread on it not a moment later. You guys don't disappoint.

msndrstood, palandri and rexxman like this.
    06-19-2014 07:56 AM
    No, but there is the larger issue of people seeming to go out of their way to claim some specific qualifier that applies to them. All too often it's either gender or sexuality based. Whether they do it to be different, or to bait others so they can then act as if they are a victim of something, I don't know. It may be a mix of both.

Though with this kid just turning legal age to drive, I put most of the blame on his parents. It's one thing to encourage your kids to be themselves. It's another to shelter them from the realities of the world so much that they are not prepared for what happens when it's time to gain their independence. They should have let the kid know what he's doing isn't normal and that others won't always accept his choices. They also should have had him go to the DMV without the makeup in the first place just for this reason.

I'm almost wondering if the parents wanted this scandal just to have 15 min of fame. Almost. I don't like to think of people using their kids like that, but it's happened before and part of me wouldn't be surprised if that's a part of it here too.

Hate to break this 2 you but there is no way in hell that the kid did not know he was not normal. He knew he was very different from the population. Your rant boils down well a pointless rant that reality disproves.

I am no where near as different as this kid but I knew I was not normal by high school. My not normal is I was a geek/nerd. I figured out my interest was not what "normal" kids where into and mine were relatively minor. This is very far off from the norm base so he knew.

Case here is the DMV failed big time and did break the law. You can not discriminate based on sex or race. It would of been one thing if the kid had as much makeup as say a hooker but they would go for women the same way. Assuming the photos from the article are how he went it was a relatively minor amount of makeup and amount they would let a woman take the picture with.

That being said ones drivers licences photos do not look a lot like people any how. You just have to fastford a year or so and then things start looking off. Mix with those photos are not updated but what once every 8-12 years they can get pretty out of wake. Co worker of mine his photo was from when he was 100 lb heavier, had a beards and hair on his head.
    06-19-2014 09:21 AM
    I really dont even know how to respond to this...

My knee jerk reaction is that he is being difficult just to be difficult.

Thinking about it more, both sides have somewhat of a case here and we do not really have laws to dictate this type of situation. Genetic disorders aside, the M/F box on the license is non-negotiable. Your DNA cannot yet be changed and stays the same regardless of what you do to the rest of your body or how you feel about it.

Are we going to require certain "standards" for license pictures now? Someone to come in and verify that it is your "typical" appearance?

This whole situation is just odd... I want to identify as Batman as well...
    A895 likes this.
    06-19-2014 09:29 AM
    If people are identifying as Batman, I am Flash.
    06-19-2014 09:55 AM
    I really dont even know how to respond to this...

My knee jerk reaction is that he is being difficult just to be difficult.

Thinking about it more, both sides have somewhat of a case here and we do not really have laws to dictate this type of situation. Genetic disorders aside, the M/F box on the license is non-negotiable. Your DNA cannot yet be changed and stays the same regardless of what you do to the rest of your body or how you feel about it.

Are we going to require certain "standards" for license pictures now? Someone to come in and verify that it is your "typical" appearance?

This whole situation is just odd... I want to identify as Batman as well...
    If someone carries the XXY or XXXY gene are they more woman than man? If not, why not?

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    06-19-2014 10:22 AM
    If someone carries the XXY or XXXY gene are they more woman than man? If not, why not?

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Notice I said genetic disorders aside...

Doing math they are more woman. If you just say anything with a Y is a man, more man.

I guess we need an "Other" box for those with such complications.
    A895 likes this.
    06-19-2014 10:58 AM

Guess what---statistically, people who identify as something other than biological gender are infinitely more likely to be harassed or abused than those who don't. People identifying as something else is what they do for their own happiness, so they can feel comfortable with themselves.
    They don't want to harass others, they just want to be accepted.

msndrstood likes this.
    06-19-2014 11:01 AM
    This guy makes a good point:

I want to go to the DMV to get my picture taken. I would like to put on blackface because, being a white male by birth, I feel more comfortable as an African American. This makes me"trans-racial" or "racial non-conforming". Will they let me get my picture taken like that?
    raymaane likes this.
    06-19-2014 01:49 PM
1,813 ... 6970717273