06-30-2014 01:17 AM
1,813 ... 678910 ...
tools
    California has had an affirmative action ban for a while.

Here is the thing though, California is a pretty diverse state. Oddly conservative to some items, very liberal on others.

We don't see polls like the one the in Mississipi were it was stated that were still many members of the population that still wants a ban on interracial marriage.

Maybe the problem with your statement is that those situations are still needed since some tendencies just don't seem to go away.

- - - Updated - - -

California has had an affirmative action ban for a while.

Here is the thing though, California is a pretty diverse state. Oddly conservative to some items, very liberal on others.

We don't see polls like the one the in Mississipi were it was stated that were still many members of the population that still wants a ban on interracial marriage.

Maybe the problem with your statement is that those situations are still needed since some tendencies just don't seem to go away.
    Kudos to California then. I still fail to see how the quotas are needed as they themselves are discriminatory. There should be no reason to hire or accept or whatever a person based upon skin color and gender. The individual's qualifications should be the determining factor. There's no reason to put the qualified majority at a disadvantage so that, in some cases, a non qualified minority may get a job that they are not really qualified for. I fail to see how this is fair. I saw this when I was on active duty the first time, in an academic environment, as well as in a corporate environment.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    badbrad17 likes this.
    06-29-2013 08:35 PM
    Since this is directed at me, I will answer this. As I have pointed out earlier, that comment was directed at the OP's post saying how minorities are discriminated at. I pointed out that the majority is more often than not discriminated against when there is a quota to be met.
    Which has NOTHING to do with the subject at hand. Do you have any thoughts on DOMA or PROP 8 or do you just want to discuss college admissions which should be in another thread?
    06-29-2013 09:40 PM
    Which has NOTHING to do with the subject at hand. Do you have any thoughts on DOMA or PROP 8 or do you just want to discuss college admissions which should be in another thread?
    Don't you go getting an attitude with me! You are the one who stated that minorities are discriminated against. When I gave you proof to the contrary, you tell me that's irrelevant. Well guess what, it is not irrelevant as it proves your theory wrong. So don't get an attitude with me for proving you wrong, as what I said was relevant to what you posted.

06-29-2013 09:44 PM
    Kudos to California then. I still fail to see how the quotas are needed as they themselves are discriminatory. There should be no reason to hire or accept or whatever a person based upon skin color and gender. The individual's qualifications should be the determining factor. There's no reason to put the qualified majority at a disadvantage so that, in some cases, a non qualified minority may get a job that they are not really qualified for. I fail to see how this is fair. I saw this when I was on active duty the first time, in an academic environment, as well as in a corporate environment.

It isn't fair but it is there to offset some historical problems issues that the Southern states are still fighting. Affirmative action is under fire right now and when the Supreme Court sent back that case, they basically stated, come up with a gender-neutral system and if you want to use race as a basis, you better come up with a good reason too.

no workable race-neutral alternatives would produce the educational benefits of diversity
    The problem is in the South there is still very strong racial issues.
    As per that survey I mention and recent events in last the couple years show the problems are still there.

Btw what recent events you may ask.
    That survey I mention before from Mississippi's people that interracial marriage should be banned.
    Nikki Haley being called a raghead by her own party while running for Governor.
    Republican convention delegation from Puerto Rico coming up to the platform, to the screams of USA and GET THEM OUT.(Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States and being born there makes you a citizen).
    Or this classic at the latest Republican CPAC

So as long as there issues keeping rearing its ugly head you will get some form of affirmative action.
    06-29-2013 09:49 PM
    So today's news is that the Protect Marriage people, which I learned today aren't even based in California, (HQ in Arizona), are all in a panic about people happily getting married this weekend and have filed for an emergency petition with the U.S. Supreme Court. Now, I'm no Constitutional scholar, but it seems to me if you don't have standing in a case to begin with, then you surely do not have standing to ask for this either.

The lenghts some people will go to rain on other people's happy day, never ceases to amaze me. They didn't prove their case in the lower courts, the high court says they have no business even being there, yet they still persist. Unbelievable.
    Aquila likes this.
    06-29-2013 09:52 PM
    Don't you go getting an attitude with me! You are the one who stated that minorities are discriminated against. When I gave you proof to the contrary, you tell me that's irrelevant. Well guess what, it is not irrelevant as it proves your theory wrong. So don't get an attitude with me for proving you wrong, as what I said was relevant to what you posted.

College admissions and racial minorities are completely irrelevant to equal rights for the lgbt minority. Please make another thread if you want to discuss that and stop hijacking this one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    GadgetGator likes this.
    06-29-2013 09:59 PM
    My specific comment, was that if left to majorities how would minoritires ever get their rights? It was said in the context of number of gay people which is relatively fixed. Rather then address that, or the Prop 8 case, you turned this thread into one of college admissions which clearly you have a beef about. That's fine, but then go start another thread on that subject because that is not the subject of this thread. Even one of the Mods here called you out on that.
    06-29-2013 10:01 PM
    College admissions and racial minorities are completely irrelevant to equal rights for the lgbt minority. Please make another thread if you want to discuss that and stop hijacking this one.

My specific comment, was that if left to majorities how would minoritires ever get their rights? It was said in the context of number of gay people which is relatively fixed. Rather then address that, or the Prop 8 case, you turned this thread into one of college admissions which clearly you have a beef about. That's fine, but then go start another thread on that subject because that is not the subject of this thread. Even one of the Mods here called you out on that.
    It isn't fair but it is there to offset some historical problems issues that the Southern states are still fighting. Affirmative action is under fire right now and when the Supreme Court sent back that case, they basically stated, come up with a gender-neutral system and if you want to use race as a basis, you better come up with a good reason too.

As per that survey I mention and recent events in last the couple years show the problems are still there.

That survey I mention before from Mississippi's people that interracial marriage should be banned.
    Republican convention delegation from Puerto Rico coming up to the platform, to the screams of USA and GET THEM OUT.(Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States and being born there makes you a citizen).

So as long as there issues keeping rearing its ugly head you will get some form of affirmative action.
    Why are you all even bothering responding to someone named SouthernDroid because s/he is exactly that, spouting off the Fox News talking points like a robot. S/he is the reason that affirmative action exists and was probably one of the people in that poll in MS or agreeing with it in whatever Southern state s/he lives in. Despite the fact that I'm a Southerner (no longer live there and would jump in front of a moving train before moving back home) and most of my family and friends are still there scattered about, if they wanted to secede now, I'd be like, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out."

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    06-29-2013 10:11 PM
    Why are you all even bothering responding to someone named SouthernDroid because s/he is exactly that, spouting off the Fox News talking points like a robot. S/he is the reason that affirmative action exists and was probably one of the people in that poll in MS or agreeing with it in whatever Southern state s/he lives in. Despite the fact that I'm a Southerner (no longer live there and would jump in front of a moving train before moving back home) and most of my family and friends are still there scattered about, if they wanted to secede now, I'd be like, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out."

No one has a choice as to of where they were born, and not everyone from the south has the same view point as the political label of the state in which they reside. Southern born and raised, and this post comes across kind of insulting, even if you do relate as a southern.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    06-29-2013 10:15 PM
    No one has a choice as to of where they were born, and not everyone from the south has the same view point as the political label of the state in which they reside. Southern born and raised, and this post comes across kind of insulting, even if you do relate as a southern.

The Midwest can go too if that makes you feel better. I don't "relate" as a Southerner, I am also Southern- raised and educated and most of my life there til moving to the DC area and go back several times a year. There are some good things about the South, but the people with these horrid ideas about race, sex and immigration, "science", etc. 8 out of 10 will be from a Southern or MidWest state (the rest, Arizona). I love being from MD now. Nothing to be ashamed of out of this state. And, until you've had your husband called a n-lover in the 90's, while you were walking down a southern street together in a southern capital city, don't tell me what is or isn't insulting, when a poll comes out stating that people in a neighboring state still feel that way in the 2000s.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD
    msndrstood likes this.
    06-29-2013 10:25 PM
    So today's news is that the Protect Marriage people, which I learned today aren't even based in California, (HQ in Arizona), are all in a panic about people happily getting married this weekend and have filed for an emergency petition with the U.S. Supreme Court. Now, I'm no Constitutional scholar, but it seems to me if you don't have standing in a case to begin with, then you surely do not have standing to ask for this either.

The lenghts some people will go to rain on other people's happy day, never ceases to amaze me. They didn't prove their case in the lower courts, the high court says they have no business even being there, yet they still persist. Unbelievable.
    This will fall flat on its face. The whole point of the Prop 8 was that it was a dismissal on the grounds that the only group that could represent the defense of this law was the state itself. Also the Judge on the Supreme Court that handles petitions from California is Kennedy, who is the reason why DOMA was gutted.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    06-29-2013 10:49 PM
    This will fall flat on its face. The whole point of the Prop 8 was that it was a dismissal on the grounds that the only group that could represent the defense of this law was the state itself. Also the Judge on the Supreme Court that handles petitions from California is Kennedy, who is the reason why DOMA was gutted.
    Yeah it won't go anywhere for the same reason they didn't rule on prop 8. That, and a group in Arizona can't prove immediate harm from marriages being allowed.

06-29-2013 11:13 PM
    (Reuters) - Opponents of gay marriage filed a long-shot petition on Saturday with the Supreme Court asking the justices to immediately halt same-sex weddings taking place in California since Friday, when an appeals court lifted a 5-year-old ban on gay matrimony.

Gay marriage opponents ask Supreme Court to reimpose California ban | Reuters
    06-29-2013 11:56 PM
    Well if according to someone in this thread marriage is for procreation, I'm straight but infertile.

Guess I need to tell my husband we can't be married because my ovaries don't work and we can't "procreate naturally in the way nature intended".

Good to know.

I'm sorry, that made my head explode in rage.
    06-30-2013 12:05 AM
    The Midwest can go too if that makes you feel better. I don't "relate" as a Southerner, I am also Southern- raised and educated and most of my life there til moving to the DC area and go back several times a year. There are some good things about the South, but the people with these horrid ideas about race, sex and immigration, "science", etc. 8 out of 10 will be from a Southern or MidWest state (the rest, Arizona). I love being from MD now. Nothing to be ashamed of out of this state. And, until you've had your husband called a n-lover in the 90's, while you were walking down a southern street together in a southern capital city, don't tell me what is or isn't insulting, when a poll comes out stating that people in a neighboring state still feel that way in the 2000s.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly flashed Sprint Galaxy Nexus with XenonHD
    When I used the term "relate," I was referring to you being a Southerner. Not that you only relate to southerners. I apologize if my wording wasn't clear enough. I am also sorry to hear that you were discriminated like that, but I guarantee you that if it is going to occur, you will find discrimination like that every where you go, not just down south. Grouping tolerance or political standings by a regional medium is unfair. I was born in Kentucky, raised in Tenneesee, and graduated in Arkansas. I also recently lived in Kansas and am currently living in Texas, and I spend a considerable amount of time in Arizona every year. I have seldomly seen open discrimination. And before you say that it is because I am white, I have a mixed niece and nephew that I often care for. The way a person responds to something they dont approve of does not depend on where they live, but instead how they were raised and the openness of their mind. I have every right to express whether or not I find something offensive, as do you. So I would appreciate not being told to withhold my opinion. I will welcome yours at any time.

msndrstood, Aquila and badbrad17 like this.
    06-30-2013 01:34 AM
    In fact, one of the very few instances of discrimination that I have witnessed was in Pennsylvania.

06-30-2013 01:37 AM
    Mmmmm I would say 1 in 20 or even a smaller number of people would be a real racist here. Yeah people make jokes about races (mainly where they come from that orgin) but no one uses it as a insult, its only brought up with a mate. As for the lgbt community I don't think there is a real issue here. Unless your in a real real bogan area which you have to pretty not well off to be in. Well if you have a problem with the south I'm sure you will be welcome here. Its pretty multi cultural with previous influxes of English, Dutch, Irish, Sudanese and now Indian is the largest immigrants.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.
    06-30-2013 06:57 AM
    Ok, I presented this question to a very anti gay marriage right wing friend. Many children have been born with both male and female genitalia. The Dr's and the parents decide which sex the child will be and surgery is performed. Many times the sex choice of the parents and Dr. was wrong. So is god going to damn the child to hell later in life for being a homosexual when someone else made the choice of their sex? Do they then have no rights? My friend was speechless, a reply needed actual thinking instead of an emotional reply.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    God does not "damn" anyone to hell, including homosexuals.Homosexuals can be saved, just like anyone else. All they have to do is ask Jesus Christ to come into their heart, and forgive them of their sins. But they are still sinners if they continue to practice homosexuality, but every person is a sinner till the day they die. No one is perfect.
    Live2ride883 and badbrad17 like this.
    06-30-2013 08:54 AM
    Agree, the odds of anyone going to hell, under any circumstances, are so astronomically low, you have approximately an equal chance of stepping out your front door into a thriving eighteenth century colony on Neptune and fitting in.

Transmitted through spacetime.
    nolittdroid and msndrstood like this.
    06-30-2013 08:59 AM
    Agree, the odds of anyone going to hell, under any circumstances, are so astronomically low, you have approximately an equal chance of stepping out your front door into a thriving eighteenth century colony on Neptune and fitting in.

According to the Bible, which is the Word of God, if you do not accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, your chances of going to hell are 100%.
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    06-30-2013 09:27 AM
    Yep, our statements do not disagree.

msndrstood and gnr_2 like this.
    06-30-2013 09:30 AM
    The chances if the bible is true, are as you say. For the odds of it being true, see above.

msndrstood likes this.
    06-30-2013 09:32 AM

So in essence you condone discrimination against the majority? And if your jab about the South is meant to insult me, it doesnt. I was neither born nor raised in the south, I just happen to be stationed here. I find it hypocritical that blacks want to be given preferential treatment while saying that they are discriminated against. What they are asking is to discriminate against the majority.

Actually it was a response to the OP. Read a few replies up.
    Your specific comment was about discrimination against the minorities, period. I am sure if said mod bothered to read the post that I quoted, he would see that I was replying to something that you said.

The SouthernDroid has to do with where I am living now, and not by choice. I was neither born nor raised in the south, I just happen to like the weather down here. Also, way to stereotype by my username there! There is not a racist bone in my body, but I have been discriminated against based upon my skin color, religion, and prior veteran status.

Precisely, just as people dont always have a choice of where their career moves them to. The Southern part of my username is in reference to where I am living now, due to my job. I cant say that I do or do not like it, however I love the weather down here!

Maryland is no better than the South, in some regards. I lived there for four years back in the day. That place is a joke, I love how they try and claim that they are a blue state, but that is only true due to the way the electoral colleges are set up.
    When I used the term "relate," I was referring to you being a Southerner. Not that you only relate to southerners. I apologize if my wording wasn't clear enough. I am also sorry to hear that you were discriminated like that, but I guarantee you that if it is going to occur, you will find discrimination like that every where you go, not just down south. Grouping tolerance or political standings by a regional medium is unfair. I was born in Kentucky, raised in Tenneesee, and graduated in Arkansas. I also recently lived in Kansas and am currently living in Texas, and I spend a considerable amount of time in Arizona every year. I have seldomly seen open discrimination. And before you say that it is because I am white, I have a mixed niece and nephew that I often care for. The way a person responds to something they dont approve of does not depend on where they live, but instead how they were raised and the openness of their mind. I have every right to express whether or not I find something offensive, as do you. So I would appreciate not being told to withhold my opinion. I will welcome yours at any time.

Hey, everyone is discriminated against in some regards. It seems like you have moved around almost as much as I have. Were you a military kid? I have never seen any acts of discrimination where I live now. Precisely, do not tell me to withhold my opinion when it was a very valid counter-argument to what you were saying!
    In fact, one of the very few instances of discrimination that I have witnessed was in Pennsylvania.

Isnt Pennsylvania supposed to be a very liberal state? Or is it, like Maryland, only liberal because of the way the electoral colleges are laid out?
    Mmmmm I would say 1 in 20 or even a smaller number of people would be a real racist here. Yeah people make jokes about races (mainly where they come from that orgin) but no one uses it as a insult, its only brought up with a mate. As for the lgbt community I don't think there is a real issue here. Unless your in a real real bogan area which you have to pretty not well off to be in. Well if you have a problem with the south I'm sure you will be welcome here. Its pretty multi cultural with previous influxes of English, Dutch, Irish, Sudanese and now Indian is the largest immigrants.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.
    Hey, I am not racist. My good friend from college is black, I dated a mixed girl, a Latino girl, and am in a relationship with a Polish girl presently.
    06-30-2013 09:51 AM
    According to the Bible, which is the Word of God, if you do not accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, your chances of going to hell are 100%.
    Really?
    What verse is that?

Is there really somebody pacing the Earth with a pitchfork? And a bunny? And a jovial fat guy?

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    06-30-2013 10:05 AM
    See its statements like that, that make me non religious. I used to be christian a long time ago, but due to an awakening I left the church with all its brainwashing, so I semi know what I'm talking about.

The bible also states that the only person who will pass judgment on me when I die IS god. You and anyone else who goes around condemning people to a mythical torture pit in the bowels of the earth, should be ashamed of yourselves, as neither you or them have any right to pass judgment on my soul.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Aquila likes this.
    06-30-2013 10:36 AM
1,813 ... 678910 ...