07-08-2013 11:52 PM
230 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Congratulations, what you are describing is addiction via the god gene.
    Call it what you want.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 12:30 PM
    I said it in the original post #50.
    But that's your assumption that everyone has the same amount of time as you and is reading every single post in this thread. I don't. I simply read what you wrote in post 56 and it stuck out, so I replied to it. The problem is that you are stating beliefs as if they are facts, and so of course that's going to get a reaction from those who respect facts. Moving on.
    07-07-2013 12:34 PM
    There is no bait.
    So you can't prove that god exist either.

Thanks.
    07-07-2013 12:36 PM
    Call it what you want.
    I'm not "calling" it anything. I'm referring to it. Kind of like what they do on Jeopardy. Maybe I should have phrased the answer in the form of a question by saying 'what is addiction and the god gene'. Sorry.
    07-07-2013 12:50 PM
    The snarky responses and undermining of each other in this thread needs to stop.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Droid DNA
    S-off, boot loader unlocked
    illusion CM10.1
    met.watts, palandri and badbrad17 like this.
    07-07-2013 12:52 PM
    The serpent was Satan. This is not debated among theologians.

Your other comments are really just theories. There is no data to back that up.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    No more theoretical than yours. But I am a verbatim kind of guy, the bible I have says serpent.

Because if it is Satan then does he now crawl around on his belly....no...snakes do

<<<Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
    07-07-2013 01:11 PM
    But that's your assumption that everyone has the same amount of time as you and is reading every single post in this thread. I don't. I simply read what you wrote in post 56 and it stuck out, so I replied to it. The problem is that you are stating beliefs as if they are facts, and so of course that's going to get a reaction from those who respect facts. Moving on.
    What? So I am supposed to state that everything is just opinion on every post to you? How about this. From now on use that as a rule. And when people state opinion they state it because they believe it to be true. If you don't have time to effectively be part of the thread then don't comment. You need context and you are not using any so it makes the conversation I was having with someone else difficult.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 01:33 PM
    No more theoretical than yours. But I am a verbatim kind of guy, the bible I have says serpent.

Because if it is Satan then does he now crawl around on his belly....no...snakes do

Sorry I wasn't trying to be argumentative. I am not just stating my opinion but those of many other theologians who seriously study this stuff.

I am okay with just reading the Bible and allowing God to guide you through it in the interpretation, but quite often when we get down to the finer details we need to understand the importance of how one passage relates to other passages and how they refer to each other.

This is a good post which specifically speaks about your question.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...ucifer-serpent

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 01:40 PM
    What? So I am supposed to state that everything is just opinion on every post to you?
    Simple. If it's an opinion then state it as an opinion. If it's a fact then you should be prepared to back it up as such. If you make a wild assertion and someone calls you on it, then don't cry foul. It was only after you couldn't prove your "genetic perfection" assertion that this got derailed. If you can prove it then prove it. Should be easy if it's true. Would love to learn about this genetic perfection you're alluding to. Why mention it and then not share your facts with everyone? If you can't prove it then you're right, it's just your opinion and not a fact. The problem isn't you stating an opinion, everyone has one. The problem arrises when someone states an opinion as a fact. Hope we're both on the same page now and we can move on to more productive things. Thanks.

Care to respond to
    Synycalwon's article?
    07-07-2013 02:27 PM
    They did know what they were doing. God told them that they could eat from all the trees in the garden except the one tree. If the ate from it they would die. It wasn't about Good and Evil for them it was about disobedience. It was Satan that deceived them and told that if they did eat that they would be like God and understand good an evil. Which ironically was true, but it still damned them to death.
    And again, they would not have any true concept of what choices they were making. If they had never seen death, how could they even know what that meant? And were they told that they would be damming all future humans (and apparently all the aliens throughout the entire universe) to this same fate as well? Like I said earlier, this is the most illogical concept of all. And an arrogant assumption that humans speak for and affect the entire universe.

The goal is for us to reign with him in paradise and to experience immeasurable joy and fulfilment.
    That sounds to me like what the whole "you'll have 40 virgins waiting for you" thing probably sounds like to you.

Well the act of eating from a tree was not the point as much as having the option to choose not do it. It's like giving you a city with everything in it and saying just don't go into this one garage or you will die. The temptation was too much and presto there goes the universe. Others will disagree, but I do not believe there are other life forms outside of our world.
    There's water on other worlds. There is oxygen on other worlds. There is light from stars shining on other worlds. All the building blocks for life are present on other worlds. Yet you think that some supreme being made this absolutely HUGE expanse of a place and put humans on this little speck of dust as the only lifeform......alrighty then.

If that happened I would believe that God created them as well. After all we are discussing a being that created the sun and moon, planets and all the stars So it is all part of the ability to either believe or not. We each must make our own decision and it's not and easy one for sure.
    Which is why I believe there is life on other planets. There just cannot be THAT many suns with THAT many planets to not have some sort of life elsewhere. The odds are against those all being dead lifeless worlds. And if we do happen onto space aliens, will you still think that Adam and Eve caused them to be subjected to the second law of thermodynamics? You didn't answer that question.
    07-07-2013 03:20 PM
    That sounds to me like what the whole "you'll have 40 virgins waiting for you" thing probably sounds like to you.
    The bible also mentions that virgins (specifically 144,000 of them) will be waiting in heaven.

There's water on other worlds. There is oxygen on other worlds. There is light from stars shining on other worlds. All the building blocks for life are present on other worlds.
    Yep, and just last month they discovered 3 new planets 22 light years away that would be inhabitable.
    07-07-2013 05:48 PM
    The bible also mentions that virgins (specifically 144,000 of them) will be waiting in heaven.

Yep, and just last month they discovered 3 new planets 22 light years away that would be inhabitable.
    Hmm I guess that's to be expected when females aren't allowed to join the clergy in the Catholic Church.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    07-07-2013 07:30 PM
    Simple. If it's an opinion then state it as an opinion. If it's a fact then you should be prepared to back it up as such. If you make a wild assertion and someone calls you on it, then don't cry foul. It was only after you couldn't prove your "genetic perfection" assertion that this got derailed. If you can prove it then prove it. Should be easy if it's true. Would love to learn about this genetic perfection you're alluding to. Why mention it and then not share your facts with everyone? If you can't prove it then you're right, it's just your opinion and not a fact. The problem isn't you stating an opinion, everyone has one. The problem arrises when someone states an opinion as a fact. Hope we're both on the same page now and we can move on to more productive things. Thanks.

Care to respond to
    Synycalwon's article?
    My problem is that I did state it as my opinion in post 50. Someone who read and replied to that post understood this. Then I replied to part of that post and you jumped in mid conversation. So I think I did what you are asking. You just were in the middle of it so it went sideways. Just a misunderstanding of where the beginning of the conversation was. :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 07:31 PM
    And again, they would not have any true concept of what choices they were making. If they had never seen death, how could they even know what that meant? And were they told that they would be damming all future humans (and apparently all the aliens throughout the entire universe) to this same fate as well? Like I said earlier, this is the most illogical concept of all. And an arrogant assumption that humans speak for and affect the entire universe.

There's water on other worlds. There is oxygen on other worlds. There is light from stars shining on other worlds. All the building blocks for life are present on other worlds. Yet you think that some supreme being made this absolutely HUGE expanse of a place and put humans on this little speck of dust as the only lifeform......alrighty then.

Which is why I believe there is life on other planets. There just cannot be THAT many suns with THAT many planets to not have some sort of life elsewhere. The odds are against those all being dead lifeless worlds. And if we do happen onto space aliens, will you still think that Adam and Eve caused them to be subjected to the second law of thermodynamics? You didn't answer that question.
    1. You haven't experienced death but you know what it means.

If you think that they would have behaved differently had God explained things in more detail that is your prerogative. I don't think they would. If the fear of death doesn't do it something tells me that the fear of damming everyone else wouldn't have made much of a difference.

2. I'm having a hard time dealing with my wife and kids. I'm good. Lol.

3. This is an entirely different topic as we were originally discussing the creation in Genesis. It states that God created the planet's, stars etc. Just because there is some oxygen or water doesn't mean it will sustain life. The variables needed to allow us to live are so perfectly aligned that even a small adjustment would destroy the entire process. So although I appreciate the research it doesn't really prove anything other than they found water and oxygen. These are all parts of our world but there are many other factors to consider. I will also add that if you believe that life has a chance of living on other planets then you officially are using faith.

4.I can't really tell you how I would feel about actual space aliens. It's so vague in concept. But I will say that there is discussion about the Nephilum in Genesis and the book of Numbers which are believed to be supernatural beings. Some theologians also believe that they were fallen angels that came to earth to try to corrupt humans and breed with human women. The sons of Anak were also supposed to be the ancestors of Goliath who King David slew. Sumerian writings also reference these beings. It is pretty fascinating information and something that a lot of Christians don't even know that much about. Google it. There's some strange stuff out there on the topic.

Here's the verses.

Genesis 6:4
    The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.

Numbers 13:33
    And there we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak, who come from the Nephilim), and we seemed to ourselves like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them.

You may also want to read this http://creation.mobi/the-return-of-the-nephilim as it has different references. It's purpose is biblically based but not necessarily trying to argue one point over another as much as discuss who the Nephilim might be.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 07:56 PM

Wait. Did you say inhabitable? Really? I would love to read about this. 22 light years away and they know empirically that we could just fly over there and set up shop?

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 08:06 PM

Thanks.
    This I agree with. Proving there is a God 100% is not possible. But neither is evolution or many other theories whether they be scientific or religious.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 08:08 PM

Thanks.
    Where did I even mention god in this thread? What i believe is personally my own business, imho. I only responded due to your snide arrogance. I bet if everyone in this thread were face to face, you wouldn't be a keyboard killer. Try to talk to people on the internet like you would if you were face to face.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    met.watts and badbrad17 like this.
    07-07-2013 08:10 PM
    1. You haven't experienced death but you know what it means.
    Because I have seen other people die. Because I have seen other creatures die. Because I have witnessed suffering. Per your own posting, A&E had no such point of reference. Whereas you and I do. What you are proposing is like trying to explain skyscrapers, light bulbs, and horseless carriages to someone thousands of years ago who has never seen or experienced them. You can tell them, sure. But it really won't make any sense to them until they see it first hand. In fact, they probably would think you to be crazy, or maybe even a witch or demon worthy of death.

3. This is an entirely different topic as we were originally discussing the creation in Genesis. It states that God created the planet's, stars etc. Just because there is some oxygen or water doesn't mean it will sustain life. The variables needed to allow us to live are so perfectly aligned that even a small adjustment would destroy the entire process.
    You're not looking at the bigger picture. You are assuming that the life on other worlds must resemble us and require the same things we do. That isn't necessarily true at all. There are things that can survive different temps and conditions then we can even on this planet.

I will also add that if you believe that life has a chance of living on other planets then you officially are using faith.
    Actually no...Apples to oranges. I am using logic and today's science, rather then a book written thousands of years ago. If I had stated that thousands of years ago, before the science part kicked in, then I would be using faith.

4.I can't really tell you how I would feel about actual space aliens. It's so vague in concept
    Why is it vague? If aliens were to land, what would you think about it? What would religion? Would there be some sort of crisis religiously? Cause it seems like many faiths profess that we are the only thing out there. So if that is not true, does it shake any core belief systems then???
    AngelArs likes this.
    07-07-2013 09:07 PM
    I think God makes room for aliens.where as religions would have cede some of their precious authority in advent of extraterrestrials.

If people truly understood the scope of the size of the universe, even in theory, they would understand that it is a logical travesty that it's empty of life.

And I never argue against Faith. There is room in the universe fir GOD and science because I believe they explain each other

07-07-2013 09:36 PM
    Where did I even mention god in this thread? What i believe is personally my own business, imho. I only responded due to your snide arrogance. I bet if everyone in this thread were face to face, you wouldn't be a keyboard killer. Try to talk to people on the internet like you would if you were face to face.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    07-07-2013 09:37 PM

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Regardless of your intent or reasoning, calling other people snide or arrogant during a discussion is not helpful.

If we can't mange to keep this discussion civil and free of name calling or insults, this thread will be closed. That goes for everyone involved, not just the person quoted.

Jennifer Stough
    Forums Moderator
    Droid DNA
    S-off, boot loader unlocked
    illusion CM10.1
    palandri, AngelArs and badbrad17 like this.
    07-07-2013 10:20 PM
    Next time I see The Doctor I will ask him to take me in the TARDIS to visit Jesus.
    I'll ask Jesus a few questions, I'll let you know what he tells me.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away
    07-07-2013 11:37 PM
    I've made a few comments in this thread, and I am sure most people know where I stand on the issue of religion. I wish this thread had more diversity. I always find it fascinating to learn what others believe and why they believe it.

Don't Hindus believe in multiple gods? Like a 100 different gods? Taoist are spiritual, but don't believe in gods, but believe in people spiritually. I really hope more diversity comes into this thread.
    07-07-2013 11:46 PM
    Because I have seen other people die. Because I have seen other creatures die. Because I have witnessed suffering. Per your own posting, A&E had no such point of reference. Whereas you and I do. What you are proposing is like trying to explain skyscrapers, light bulbs, and horseless carriages to someone thousands of years ago who has never seen or experienced them. You can tell them, sure. But it really won't make any sense to them until they see it first hand. In fact, they probably would think you to be crazy, or maybe even a witch or demon worthy of death.
    Sorry if I'm coming of pushy or preachy. This is not my intention. If I am offending you in any way let me know and I will do my best to adjust how I am communicating. I appreciate the discussion.

1. For me this is an argument that probably can't be agreed on. I assume that when God told them they would die that they understood what he meant. It certainly wouldn't be fair to them if he said something to them that they didn't understand, then punished them for it. Sort of defeats the purpose of what he was trying to accomplish. There was nothing to state that what he told them wasn't understood by them. If you don't agree then so be it. We have to make our own judgment.

You're not looking at the bigger picture. You are assuming that the life on other worlds must resemble us and require the same things we do. That isn't necessarily true at all. There are things that can survive different temps and conditions then we can even on this planet.
    This may be true, but as i said before I don't believe there are. I may be proven wrong, but even if I am I would still stand by my statement that it is still part of something God created in the first place. I also still feel this is a hypothetical situation.

no...Apples to oranges. I am using logic and today's science, rather then a book written thousands of years ago. If I had stated that thousands of years ago, before the science part kicked in, then I would be using faith.
    Faith means according to the dictionary: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

This is what we have with the possibility of life on other planets. Water and oxygen are required for some types of life but there are many other factors. So until there is absolute proof of a real life form and not just the random possibility that it is the building blocks of something that in 20 billion years I believe it to be unproven and still requires faith. Lots of it.

why is it vague? If aliens were to land, what would you think about it? What would religion? Would there be some sort of crisis religiously? Cause it seems like many faiths profess that we are the only thing out there. So if that is not true, does it shake any core belief systems then???
    I tried in my last post to explain that there are already indications that there have been beings of unexplained origin, so this is not something that would surprise me. But I would react differently to something if it was in humanoid form differently than if a flying rock showed up and purple slugs slid out. Lol.

The bible talks about supernatural events occurring in the last days that will be very hard for us to understand. There are people that believe that these events will be called extraterrestrial or that they were caused by UFO's etc. The purpose of the claims will be to undermine the existence of God. I am not sure I believe this, but lots of people are looking for something other than God, so even a small event like this could definitely make a huge ripple in some people's faith. For me I can honestly say it wouldn't. But that is just what I think now. Trying to be as honest as I can in my views.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    07-07-2013 11:53 PM
    @BadBrad17, Serious question, does the Bible say why dinosaurs were on earth before man?
    badbrad17 likes this.
    07-08-2013 12:25 AM
230 ... 45678 ...